• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Good Choice for Merchant Services?

llnsm

I am new at osCommerce and am trying to get my first store up and running.. What is the best way to set up payment with osCommerce? Any ideas on what services work best with the osCommerce framework coding etc.. Authorize.net? I don't want my customers to be redirected from my site for payment..

Thanks for any help!

I am new at osCommerce and am trying to get my first store up and running.. What is the best way to set up payment with osCommerce? Any ideas on what services work best with the osCommerce framework coding etc.. Authorize.net? I don't want my customers to be redirected from my site for payment..

Thanks for any help!

Hi

"I don't want my customers to be redirected from my site for payment.."

most all cc services do this now.

I have been working on my first ecommerce site too and I found that the easiest option with the least Amount of upfront money required is paypal website payment pro. It works just like a regular merchant account and you use their secure gateway but the custom we does not need a paypal account and they never leave you website. They never knew they used paypal.

heck my website, its not done yet up paypal is set up there

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

I have been working on my first ecommerce site too and I found that the easiest option with the least Amount of upfront money required is paypal website payment pro. It works just like a regular merchant account and you use their secure gateway but the custom we does not need a paypal account and they never leave you website. They never knew they used paypal.

heck my website, its not done yet up paypal is set up there

I checked the PayPal payment pro its says $30 per month - I guess thats not too bad? It does say the customers do not need to leave your site! Was it pretty easy to integrate with osCommerce? --- Thanks Lindsay

I checked out the pet site.. I have some pets on my page as well.. we are the "web dogs" www.newstartmedia.com/osc

it was pretty easy to integrate, but having this forum and the people in it helped A LOT. its not as easy as a click of a button, but there are modules you download, and since paypal has made their website payments pro suited specifically for certain shopping carts (like oscommerce) it is a lot easier than getting a merchant account..

$30 is kinda high for a monthly, HOWEVER if you were to do it the other way, you would need to get a merchant account from a bank (or a company that ONLY does merchant accounts) then you need to get a secure gateway, which when i priced them was around $200-$400. then the percentage that the merchant takes is rather high, and there usually is an annual rate to go along with it.

In the long run, you save money doing it the other way, but since this is your first e-commerce website, i suggest testing it out using paypal website payments pro. It really made setting up a lot easier.

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

what is a web dog??

what is a web dog??

Thanks for all the info Lindsay.. I am thinking unless I find something else I will use the Pay Pal services.. It will depend on the customer if they are willing to pay the $30 per month for that service.. Like you said for someone just getting started it might be a good alternative..

The "web dogs" is just a marketing thing for us.. My store is basically just for testing - I want to sell ecom services to my clients.. Thanks!!

Gotcha... I just didnt get it at first.. very cute.

I DEFINITELY think paypal is a good choice for first timers, but if you want to.. walk into your local bank and ask them about merchant services. i know my bank does it and it was a small fortune to get started.. which is why i did the paypal thing.. and you never have to worry about the laws because its all taken care of by paypal.. 100% secure

Thanks for all the info Lindsay.. I am thinking unless I find something else I will use the Pay Pal services.. It will depend on the customer if they are willing to pay the $30 per month for that service.. Like you said for someone just getting started it might be a good alternative..

The "web dogs" is just a marketing thing for us.. My store is basically just for testing - I want to sell ecom services to my clients.. Thanks!!

Hi llnsm -- Do you have a Costco membership? You might want to check into their Merchant Services offering. I happen to know there is an excellent Virtual Merchant contribution coming soon. Just a suggestion.

wow.. costco really DOES sell everything.. AMAZING. i will have to look into that.

could you give a url to this as it look good

Sure,

http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePage....ductNo=11273284

http://www.novainfo.com/costco/index.asp

Their services are through what used to be NOVA Information Systems which is now called Elavon.

They provide different types of Merchant Accounts, both for Web-based E-transactions and In-Store swiped transactions, should you happen to have a brick and mortar location.

Hope this helps,

Todd

what is their prices on Gateways.. i am on my way over to the website, but they usually done have cut and dry prices on sites like that.. either way, EVERYONE around here shops costco for everything.. why not merchant accounts??

Hi

I am new around here as well.

I have been reading up on the Google offering, as well as PayPal. I am in the UK, and both of these services are far more cost effective than for anything the UK has to offer.

Ian, you say you don't want customers to be directed from your site to another. What do your customers want? Many customers may prefer to be directed to a site that is dedicated to handling online payments, especially a reputable name like PayPal and Google. How does a customer know if your site employs all the latest security features to safeguard your customer's interests.

Perhaps there is market research for this sort of thing, i.e. a site that offers both personal payment handling and PayPal or similar - which is used most?

Good luck

Paul

Some customers won't mind a redirect to another site for payment. But I want to offer a "custom shopping cart & payment solution" to my clients and I think the redirect makes it look ?? Not custom = like anyone could do it. Thanks.

i agree.. a re-direct kinda makes your site seem unprofessional. People tend to trust the services of a site like that less.. Honeslty, before i got into the whole e-commerce thing, i would base the professionalism on the site looks and feel more than the payment security. i know it sounds backwards, but i think the general population does not know much better.. so if you can get the security of paypal built into your website, then you have a win win.. also giving the person the option to log into their paypal account gives the best of both worlds.

i agree.. a re-direct kinda makes your site seem unprofessional. People tend to trust the services of a site like that less.. Honeslty, before i got into the whole e-commerce thing, i would base the professionalism on the site looks and feel more than the payment security. i know it sounds backwards, but i think the general population does not know much better.. so if you can get the security of paypal built into your website, then you have a win win.. also giving the person the option to log into their paypal account gives the best of both worlds.

Your right Lindsay - I and most people I know base the "trust" of a web site on its looks and feel of the site. We probably shouldn't but its the way it goes.. I am definitly still thinking Pay - Pal would be a good option. For the $30 a month thats everything right? Do they just - wire the money to your regular bank account? Thanks..

I would agree that integrated payment processing is much cleaner looking and easier from the user's perspective. It provides a much more professional appearance when the look and feel of the complete experience is a smooth flowing process.

The good news is the Virtual Merchant ("VM") Payment Module I've written doesn't require bouncing to another site for card processing. You can process their cards integrated inline on the checkout page directly from (through) your site with the VM module, assuming you have an SSL cert set up and installed correctly.

For those that don't want the redirections, this is a viable (and affordable) option worth considering IMHO.

Todd,

What payment module did you use in order to utilize the Elavon merchant ID number? I'm working with a client who is using them as his credit card service but I have no idea which payment module to use in order for his shopping cart to work. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!

-SoupGFX

Sure,

http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePage....ductNo=11273284

http://www.novainfo.com/costco/index.asp

Their services are through what used to be NOVA Information Systems which is now called Elavon.

They provide different types of Merchant Accounts, both for Web-based E-transactions and In-Store swiped transactions, should you happen to have a brick and mortar location.

Hope this helps,

Todd

What payment module did you use in order to utilize the Elavon merchant ID number? I'm working with a client who is using them as his credit card service but I have no idea which payment module to use in order for his shopping cart to work. PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi SoupGFX, it's actually a module I had written some time ago, and have recently ported to work with osC. I'm looking for osC beta testers at this point. Send me a PM with your email address which can accept an attachment if you are interested. Also, let me know which service you have (viaKLIX versus Virtual Merchant).

Thanks!