• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Fedex Thermal labels not printing

tadman

Hi

Having installed Automated Labels I am now trying to print labels to a Zebra LP2844 printer.

When I change the printer and media type settings within ship_fedex.php for thermal a blank label is displayed in the browser hence nothing

is printed.

I have tested the laser printer settings and this works fine.

So what do I have to do to get the thermal labels printed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• 2 weeks later...

Really need some help on this. I checked with Fedex and they confirmed that the label specification is fine and the data buffer to print the label is being sent.

I have seen many posts of this problem in the past, but strangely no resolution is ever posted on this problem .....

Just to update on this ...

Firstly, I have spoken to the guy who added Thermal functionality to Fedex Automated Labels. He said that in the past the raw data was sent direct to the printer but now the thermal uses PNG image too. So it should pop up in the browser and print.

He also asked me to open the PNG file and make sure it is in portrait not landscape layout. However I cant open it in Photo Editor or Photoshop as it gives an error. The laser label opens fine though.

It was also suggested that we check the thermal printer driver was up to date, which it was, but we re-installed it anyway and the problem still persists.

Have tried different sizes for the label media (1370) to no avail.

Anyway, the saga continues...

tadman,

Could you tell me how you were able to contact the author of the FedEx Automated Labels? I attempted to email him and it came back as undeliverable.

We are working on adding thermal printing support to our open source, web based inventory tracking software, Tracmor (which uses the same FedEx php class from Vermonster). Based on research I have done, it seems that the best approach to providing this capability is to use a Java applet to send the ZPL/EPL printer control language from FedEx directly to the printer. I have found that other proprietary web apps such as Nexternal do this, as can be seen in this vid: http://www.nexternal.com/eCommerce/knowled...asp?Answer=3264

We have recently commissioned a Java Programmer to develop such an applet, and when completed this applet will be released under the GPL (v2), so of course it can be used by other GPL projects such as osCommerce.

I would still like to contact the author of the FedEx Automated Labels contribution to better understand the approach he took to provide thermal label printing support, since some people may be opposed to using a Java applet.

tadman,

Could you tell me how you were able to contact the author of the FedEx Automated Labels? I attempted to email him and it came back as undeliverable.

We are working on adding thermal printing support to our open source, web based inventory tracking software, Tracmor (which uses the same FedEx php class from Vermonster). Based on research I have done, it seems that the best approach to providing this capability is to use a Java applet to send the ZPL/EPL printer control language from FedEx directly to the printer. I have found that other proprietary web apps such as Nexternal do this, as can be seen in this vid: http://www.nexternal.com/eCommerce/knowled...asp?Answer=3264

We have recently commissioned a Java Programmer to develop such an applet, and when completed this applet will be released under the GPL (v2), so of course it can be used by other GPL projects such as osCommerce.

I would still like to contact the author of the FedEx Automated Labels contribution to better understand the approach he took to provide thermal label printing support, since some people may be opposed to using a Java applet.

I just sent a pm to TheJackal in this forum.

When do you think your applet will be ready.....?

I just sent a pm to TheJackal in this forum.

When do you think your applet will be ready.....?

I just finished testing the applet today, and verified it works in Linux and Windows. Once some finishing touches are made we will be ready to release it (GPL licensed). I'll post an update here with a link.

I just finished testing the applet today, and verified it works in Linux and Windows. Once some finishing touches are made we will be ready to release it (GPL licensed). I'll post an update here with a link.

Any news on this? We are attempting the same thing with UPS and also need some sort of way to transmit the EPL/ZPL info to the label printer.

• 9 months later...
Any news on this? We are attempting the same thing with UPS and also need some sort of way to transmit the EPL/ZPL info to the label printer.

Was this finished? Did it work? I am looking for something to replace an activex control so we can work with FireFox and IE.

• 4 years later...

For anyone still looking for a java applet/plugin to print EPL/ZPL:

http://qzindustries.com/