• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Where is documentation on writing Add-Ons?

johnu

I cannot find documentation on writing modules for osCommerce. Could you please point me to it ?

I have a plugin that I wrote for ZenCart - now I would like to convert it to osCommerce "module". Especially I would like an easy installation procedure. Installation for ZenCart involves bunch of file copy operations which I do not like.

Thank you

Alex

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Thank you for your response but I still do not see any Add-Ons or Modules related information at this location.

I see 4 articles under "classes" and 4 articles under "implementation" and thats it.

- Are we looking at the same place?

I also followed the link in your signature and looked at one of the modules that you created (orders_tracking).

The installation steps for this module are all manual. This is the same file-copy installation like for ZenCart.

- I thought that osCommerce has a real plugin architecture?

- Do you really expect all your customers to manually execute SQL statements and merge pieces of PHP?

- Am I missing something? :)

- Is there a FAQ for new developers somewhere?

- I thought that osCommerce has a real plugin architecture?

LOL

- Do you really expect all your customers to manually execute SQL statements and merge pieces of PHP?

Nope, thats why I have customers. I execute code, they use what I give them.

- Am I missing something? :)

Appears that way.

- Is there a FAQ for new developers somewhere?

http://www.oscommerce.com/solutions/documentation

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

Nope, thats why I have customers. I execute code, they use what I give them.

Please help me understand this sentence better :)

What is the usual lifecycle of the osCommerce-powered webstore?

Lets say Joe user who sells widgets on eBay decided that he finally needs a webstore

- Usually who installs osCommerce for average Joe - Joe himself of consultant?

- Where does the average Joe finds this consultant?

- Does the average user of osCommerce can install custom osCommerce module (with file copying and SQL operations) or is it always outsourced to module developers and consultants?

- When average user of osCommerce has a specific need for a feature - what does he do? Calls a consultant or tries to fix it himself?

- I can see all these plugins for sale for osCommerce - so how people deal with installation and techsupport after they buy them? Does the plugin maker provide techsupport for installation?

Thank you

Alex

Edited by Jan Zonjee

No payments here on the forums. This is a place for free help, and one of few places for help.

What is the usual lifecycle of the osCommerce-powered webstore?

Years, so long as you keep it updated to the newer php and sql codes when they come out.

Usually who installs osCommerce for average Joe

Joe usually starts out trying to install it. Sometimes Joe needs help becuase he is not savvy in these things.

Where does the average Joe finds this consultant

He has to search around, look at people here and go for recommendations, you cannot request paid help on these forums.

Does the average user of osCommerce can install custom osCommerce module (with file copying and SQL operations) or is it always outsourced to module developers and consultants?

osCommerce is open source, Everyone has full permission to try anything they want with the code, so long as they honor the GNU open source rules

When average user of osCommerce has a specific need for a feature - what does he do? Calls a consultant or tries to fix it himself?

Whatever he is more comfortable with. If he had a lot of help before, he will probally contact someone else to do it. If he tried and did succeed with things before, he will probally try to see if he can add the feature himself.

I can see all these plugins for sale for osCommerce - so how people deal with installation and techsupport after they buy them? Does the plugin maker provide techsupport for installation?

The plugin maker should provide support if he makes it. Always look at their site first to get an idea if they will really stand behind what they make, look for install tips, questions and answers, maybe a forum. Beware the ones that offer the plugin for sale, but show no signs of helping you. Always ask here first if you find a plugin you want to buy but arent sure . Some people may encrypt the plugins they make so that you can not further alter it.

All plugins here, we call contributions, and all are free. Some have very good support topics, others dont. Sometimes you wont get an answer here, more than likely becuase it is a repetative question and the answer can be found with a google search of these forums.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

Thank you for your responses! I appreciate it.

The plugin maker should provide support if he makes it. Always look at their site first to get an idea if they will really stand behind what they make, look for install tips, questions and answers, maybe a forum. Beware the ones that offer the plugin for sale, but show no signs of helping you. Always ask here first if you find a plugin you want to buy but arent sure . Some people may encrypt the plugins they make so that you can not further alter it.

All plugins here, we call contributions, and all are free. Some have very good support topics, others dont. Sometimes you wont get an answer here, more than likely becuase it is a repetative question and the answer can be found with a google search of these forums.