• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Lightbox?

GLWalker

So, it seems to be that the lightbox image viewer is fairly popular. I want to know, what is your opinion on it and its use on an ecommerce site.

I think it is just fine for a site that uses it with an image gallery where you only have to open the cumbersome thing once and then you can scroll thru the pics.

As for ecommerce, it just turns me off. Its is slow to load and I dont see it doing any justice for a single product image. And once its open, I cant leave it open while I browse the rest of the site. I have to close it, so much for comparing.

Follow the community build:

BS3 to osCommerce Responsive from the Get Go!

Check out the new construction:

Admin Gone to Total BS!

I prefer shadowbox personally, but either one looks very striking. I believe the only benefit is the appearance which obviously looks very impressive from the viewers point of view. I'm not to sure if this advantage outways the chunky coding thats needed though!

I prefer shadowbox personally, but either one looks very striking. I believe the only benefit is the appearance which obviously looks very impressive from the viewers point of view. I'm not to sure if this advantage outways the chunky coding thats needed though!

I also prefer shadowbox, my ecommerce site sells glass art so it's nice to be able to see close-ups of the pictures. Obviously in other circumstances like a dvd store it wouldn't make as much sense.

I still haven't found a good contribution to have multiple pictures with shadowbox though. Lilgurn do you have multiple picture capability

I think those things are pretty cool. While I haven't tested out the different ones personally, I do think they look very professional. Especially for someone who owns a photography or art business.

I have lightbox on my site, and I think it adds a more professional appearance to the images.

I don't need multi-image capability in the pop-up, so the standard lightbox contribution was fine for my needs.

I have no idea if having lightbox installed translates to more sales. I've given up trying to guess what customers want, so I just make a site that I would like to visit.

I also have a Lightbox on my site, it's prety nice, and my site (with oscommerce) look more profesional, thank other site with js pop up. If you wanna to see, look here: www.sklep.busserwis.pl.

Best regards.

Yep, I think the choice is all depends on the shop's needs and the niche you're targeting in this case ;)
I mentioned this in the shadowbox thread. The requirement to set the doc type to

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

causes the grahical borders contribution to display incorrectly in FireFox. So I guess you can't have both.

Archived