• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Attribute Sorter and Copier ... sneak preview

Ajeh

I am just about done with the Attributes sorter and copier.

Copy product attributes when making a duplicate product

Copy product attributes from one product to another

Copy product attributes from one product to entire category

You have Quick Lists of attributes and Products to locate what or where you want to copy something.

When in Admin ...

If on a Category with just products there is an extra Copy button to select a product to copy the attributes to every product in the category.

If on a Product there is an extra Copy Button to copy the Current product's attributes to another product.

You have options for:

Deleting all existing attributes first

Skip duplicate attributes

Overwrite duplicate attributes

Copy attributes with downloads

I have tried to cover all the options here, and could use a few people to break ... err ... test this out.

The Product information screen also has the Attribtutes Enhancer with the Attributes sort order.

There is also a section of Coming Soon fields for the Attributes. These will be in the next release, for weight, unit price, etc.

If some of you could test this out in the Admin ... Categories ... I would appreciate it.

I need to add a product option sort, document this and put it together in an easy to install method ... :roll:

But, some feed back before I do that and any errors or questions would really help.

Catalog: http://www.thewebmakerscorner.com/snap_attributes

Admin: http://www.thewebmakerscorner.com/snap_att...ttributes/admin

Thanks for the help ... :D

I added on here a sorter for the Product Options as well so they always appear in the same order when multiple Product Options are used on a product.

Let me know if you run into anything that is confusing or not clear enough. I think it is pretty straight forward on how to use all of the copier methods.

Wowwwwwww ! :shock: :shock:

That is FANTASTIC Linda and something that OsC has been in desparate need of. A much better and quicker and easier way of adding attributes.

I presume that where it says "prefix" that would be a "+" or "-" sign?

How soon do you think you could have the weight part done because I am just populating my shop now and that would save me from having to enter the same product 4 or 5 times for each weight.

Best wishes

Steve

Not sure ... I have a Birthday party for my neice tomorrow and I go to Kentucky Sunday and Monday.

Did you find it easy enough to understand as far as making copies and overwritting etc.?

Write now, the copy attributes to a category button only appears when there are only products on the category you are sitting on.

I have not decided if letting a copy go through all the sublevels is a good or bad idea.

Basically I don't want someone overwritting their whole shop because they went one step too far on the attributes.

Did you find it easy enough to understand as far as making copies and overwritting etc.?

If I managed to work it out (which I did easily) then it should be a peice of cake to any one else

Write now, the copy attributes to a category button only appears when there are only products on the category you are sitting on.

I have not decided if letting a copy go through all the sublevels is a good or bad idea.

I recon it is right as it is.

Best wishes

Steve

You did catch one bug ... literally ... :D

Your images were so big it alerted me to a setting I forgot to include on the Quick Attributes popup to size the image and not just use whatever size it is ... a full page of a bug really wakes you up quick ... :shock:

I have needed something like this for awhile. I played with the admin side a bit and it looks and works great. I would love it if you could shoot me a line when you release this as an "official" contribution. Great work Linda, I know I speak for a lot of folks out there when I say this contribution will greatly appreciated.

Josh

Can you see anything I might of forgotten?'

The only thing I have run into so far is when you move into a category with sub-categories or products for the first time, one of the settings needed for the Quick Popup windows is missing ... :shock:

It's not a hard work around, click something in the category and click back to what you want if it is the first one on the list.

This is the pID and cID ... you will know you hit this little glitch ... er ... feature ... if you do not see one or the other in the URL.

This is one GREAT contribution :D ... dying to find out when it will be released. Is this version already available, because this would suffice for a lot of us ... :D

Anyway, I have tested it throughout the admin section, and I don't think it could be more self-explanatory ... didn't come across any bugs, other than the one you found yourself.

Personally, I think it would be a great feature to copy the attributes from one product to all products in a specific category, but I understand your hesitation, especially if the administrator isn't an experienced user ... one could mess up the shop completely.

We could for instance use JavaScript or PHP to have him/her confirm his choice to copy a certain attribute to all the products in a category.

Anyways, great work Linda ... as always :wink:

Richard

It does make a copy from one product to a category now. It does not copy one product to a category with subcategories, however. You have to be on a category with just products to use the copy feature or one product to all products in a category.

I am just not sure if I want to make it so you can pick a category with multiple subcategories then locate all those products within each subcategory to copy the attributes to from one product.

I think it might be safer right now to have to pick the specific category for copying the attributes.

I may add one more confirmation level to the copy once all the options have been selected, but I am trying to make it so you don't get lost in a million yes do this buttons.

The new sort for the products display order is kind of nifty. You can be sitting in a category or on a product and decide you want to change the display order ... go to the My Store and change the order and then click the Go Back to Categories/Products link to get back to where you were.

Not the most efficient method I am sure, but it works ... :D

Hi Linda.

I downloaded your Attributes Copier. Very cool! I have a couple of suggestions that would work well in my situation, anyway.

1) On the products page in admin, could the attributes be sorted in alphabetical order? Main reason that this is important: someone that sells clothing will often have dozens, if not hundreds, of colors. It would be great to have them sorted.

2) Features coming soon. Could this be removed for the time being? Since I have so many colors, my admin product page is already over 200K. Removing unnecessary fields would cut my page in half and I could edit my products a lot faster.

Keep up the great work! Thanks for accepting my humble suggestions.

Mark Bianchi

Dayton, OH

Both could probably be done.

Turning off the peices you don't need can be accomplished with some if (false) statements surrounding the <td>s that you don't want to see.

That way you can bring them back later. But removing them only removes a dozen lines at most.

As to sorting, do you want the Product Options sorted or the Attributes for the Product Options sorted? Or both?

If you fool with the select statements you can probably get these in the order you are looking for.

Otherwise, email me if you need some custom work done for this.

• 7 months later...

I added all the language and files in the contribution. After completion I noticed that all of my products that had no previous attributes were still normal, but the products that had attributes now contain this message at the bottom (that will not go away even after putting everything back the way it was):

1054 - Unknown column 'popt.products_options_sort_order' in 'field list'

select distinct popt.products_options_id, popt.products_options_name, popt.products_options_sort_order from products_options popt, products_attributes patrib where patrib.products_id='161' and patrib.options_id = popt.products_options_id and popt.language_id = '1' order by popt.products_options_sort_order

[TEP STOP]

Also, I tried to do "Restore" and it wouldn't let me restore properly. Yikes!

Anyone have some suggestions on what next? My site is www.thebeanstock.com and if you look at my 1 or 2 pound coffee bean products or any of my home roasters you will see what I mean at the bottom where the attributes used to be.

Thanks.

Good things take time..... Great things happen all at once!

Having a programmer take a look see.... I really want this awesome contribution to work.

My question to the Forum is: Is there a weight assignment to an added attribute for shipping calculation?

Good things take time..... Great things happen all at once!

• 1 year later...

Hi Linda,

Firstly thanks for the great contrib!! :)

Just a quick question for you though....will attributes copier work with option_type_feature contrib v.1.71? I already have that insatalled and can't seem to get them to work when both installed... I think it's the OTF but thought best to ask you since it would be fab to have them both working together.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the contribution!