• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How To Make Contributions

Some guidelines for contributions are now available in the KB

http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/Tips_and_Tricks/195

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

• 3 months later...

It should pe possible to report contributons to be deleted.

In some contributions there are questions or remarks posted as updates to the main contribution.

Malawi, The Fisher King

AKA Trygve Lillefosse

• 2 months later...

I've looked at the KB page on contributions and I've read this thread. Neither answers my next question.

I have been updating the Who's Online Enhancement contrib. Some people have posted problems with the contrib. Some of these problems are in the code that was from the original MS 2 code base. Most of them deal with site configuration, not install mistakes.

I am not able to test every combination of configuration. So, I'd like to have my newest version beta tested, especially be the people who have current problems to see if the new version fixes them. I have posted a suggestion for beta testing to the WOE support forum and received no takers. I could post it to the contribs but I really only want people to use it who understand it's a beta. Plus, I have a couple more new features to add before I call the version done.

Given that, should I post it as a contrib? Marked as a beta with a warning? Beg some more for beta testers? Any possibility of a Developers contrib section for beta contribs?

Thanks,

Ed

Honestly if no one is responding for beta testers in the forum the only thing I could really suggest if to post it in the Contributions section and call it say you already have version 2.2 out. I would say version 2.2.1 Beta.

Remember when you ask for help a lot of people are takers not givers. Only the true osC enthusiasts will come out to help to benefit the whole and not themselves.

So I say post it in the Contributions section even if it's a beta. Who knows? Maybe a beta tester will find faults and make corrections in conjunction with your findings.

• 2 months later...

Support

Could I suggest the following procedure?

1 - Before a contribution is posted, a support thread should be created called "[Contribution_Name] Support".

2 - Include a 'link' to the thread in the readme.txt/documentation.

3 - At the time of posting the new contribution a link to the thread should be included.

Maybe a new Subforum could be created to contain these threads?

I am new to this and am having great difficulty finding threads relating to support issues for the few contributions I have started to use. Only one has anything close to the above.

• 1 year later...

ok to get around the chicken and the egg thing with the forum and contribution pages, I do this:

1. Create the forum support thread which will generate a link.

2. Upload the contribution and add to the description box the forum link.

3. Edit or add a post to the forum thread for the contribution link.

If you do the process within few minutes you should endup with a single post on the forum showing the contribution link while the contribution page will include the forum support thread so other people can easily find it.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Can I ask who is responsible for the tidying up of the contributions?

I ask I have made 3 or 4 contributions to the 1 section!!

I discovered one problem, fixed the code then contributed it.

Then discovered another problem fixed that code then contributed that version..

....then........

Is there no way for the original user to remove their contribution or alternativly a moderator for the contributions

A supreme being that you can say - delete this one please?

Cheers,

Michael.

• 8 months later...

How exactly does one make use of a diff file? Do I need to use Beyond Compare or Diffdog or something? I can't for the life of me find any documentation on how to merge the changes found in a diff file with my current version of a page....anyone? Please help!

Besides coding conventions, there is also an issue regarding how contributions should be packaged. Brad Waite and I have just had a private colloquy about this, on a contribution in which we collaborated. He preferred to post diff files, while I had posted replacement files in nested directories. Each package appeals to a different audience, so I proposed to release the contribution both ways simultaneously.

Of course all contributions should be accompanied by a readme.txt or install.txt, which clearly describes the function, content and structure of the contribution, then lists steps for its installation. The contributor should also note the compatibility constraints (e.g., works only with checkout system post 20021101) or certification (e.g., tested with MS1).

Let me take this opportunity to stimulate some discussion on conventions (or at least suggestions) for packaging contributions.

• 3 months later...

Download and, preferably, install a number of contributions. You will gain an understanding of what is needed. But, in my opinion, your contribution should contain the following:

- complete instructions - including file change instructions for a standard shop

- include changed files, if possible

- stay away from html instruction files

- don't include changes that have nothing to do with the contribution

- GPL license file (required)

You should also have tested the contribution in both MS2 and RC2 shops, or state that your contribution will only work with one. And if you upload a new version, upload a full version.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 11 months later...

OH MY DEAR LORD

I have no idea how to cook but I have a restaurant and would like the world to come to my kitchen to eat (and get sick)

ARE YOU FOR REAL?

Dear Fritz,

I certainly appreciate your concerns about modularity, stability and the upkeep of conventions. It would in deed leed to a better system.

On the other hand, the emphasis on the 'perfect' coding standard might encourage less experienced developers and, most of all, users to make their spontaneous ideas available to the community.

I, for this matter, can hardly write php, never mind fully understand the tep-methods. But I'm a user with a clear idea of how certainl shop functions will have to work. If I ever make a proper contribution, it probably won't be spotless. Should I not make it available?

Perhaps, there could be sort of a 'mentoring group' where beginners can post their contributions for polishing up. More experienced developers can then comment or contribute some corrections. Then, the code will be fantastic and the community still benefits from the maximum base of ideas.

In the end, I'd rather have a sloppy solution to an urgent problem, than none at all.

But, again I am NOT IN TOTAL disagreement.

Thanks!

:wink:

• 2 months later...

I have no idea if this is the appropriate place to suggest it (obviously moderators - remove this post if I have posted in the worng place), but wouldn't it be a good idea to have an RSS Feed on contribution pages so its easier to keep track of when updates are made instead of having to physically look (which lets face it - can be VERY time consuming).

I would love to hear your take(s) on this

Edited by dvharrison

Debbie Harrison

wouldn't it be a good idea to have an RSS Feed on contribution pages so its easier to keep track of when updates are made instead of having to physically look (which lets face it - can be VERY time consuming).

There already is an rss feed linked to on the contributions page:

feed-icon.pngNew Entries

http://www.oscommerce.com/oscommerce_contributions.rdf

There already is an rss feed linked to on the contributions page:
When I read her post, I thought that she was asking for multiple RSS feeds, one per contribution, so that it would work more like Contribution Tracker does.

The main RSS feed is noisy, telling you about many contributions that don't matter to you. A more targeted feed or feeds would allow you to watch just the contributions that you are actually using. The current feed is good for finding new contributions to install (albeit with a high noise to signal ratio), but the desire is for updating currently installed contributions with the latest bugfixes and security patches.

Always back up before making changes.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Can't see a good reason not to bump this 4 month silent thread with my question.

I made a change to a shipping module in MVS and the thread monitor suggested;

"If you've verified that this works, please update the MVS distribution package."

I did that. I think! I posted the update on March 3rd but it still doesn't show up when you look for it. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if I'm just being impatient. How long does it normally take for a contribution to be accepted?

I'm very grateful to Harold and Jim (kymation) and many more of you who have done so much to help us all. Last thing I want to do is double post a contrib that many people probably won't be interested in anyway.

• 1 year later...

I have a contribution that I would to like to upload to the addon's. I know where to upload them but cannot find any information on how to restrict public additions to the addon once I have submitted it. I plan to maintain the contribution but do not want the headache that seems to develop on many of the contributions where after a period of time you have so many versions by various people that you have multiple questions and confusion as to which is the good one to download and use.

I have spent many hours going over some of these contributions that are in the situation as described above. I would like to save people the time and headaches involved.

If anyone can tell how or direct me to someone who would know how to do this (No public uploads allowed to addons) I would appreciate it.

Can't see a good reason not to bump this 4 month silent thread with my question.

I made a change to a shipping module in MVS and the thread monitor suggested;

"If you've verified that this works, please update the MVS distribution package."

I did that. I think! I posted the update on March 3rd but it still doesn't show up when you look for it. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if I'm just being impatient. How long does it normally take for a contribution to be accepted?

You should contact a team member and ask him to look at it. If the size is over 300 KB, it is held for approval and sometimes they are not noticed, for whatever reason, and don't get approved.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I have a contribution that I would to like to upload to the addon's. I know where to upload them but cannot find any information on how to restrict public additions to the addon once I have submitted it. I plan to maintain the contribution but do not want the headache that seems to develop on many of the contributions where after a period of time you have so many versions by various people that you have multiple questions and confusion as to which is the good one to download and use.

I have spent many hours going over some of these contributions that are in the situation as described above. I would like to save people the time and headaches involved.

If anyone can tell how or direct me to someone who would know how to do this (No public uploads allowed to addons) I would appreciate it.

Afte you have uploaded the contribution, there will be a link to manage it. Click on that and set the no public uploads option.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 6 months later...

i am trying to add an update file to an existing contribution

yet no matter what i try it wont allow me to log in?

keeps telling me username or password are incorrect

i have done a password reset, and as you can see i am able to log into forums ok

yes and cookies are enabled

short of creating another account not sure what else to try

any ideas?

You may be trying to upload to a contribution that does not allow public uploads. If that is not the case, you will need to contact a team member to see what the problem is.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Made a first contribution last night and have a question -- how does one edits the description of a contribution already made?

I wanted to fix a spelling mistake and add a link for support.

This is a contribution in question:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/9117

Thanks,

Rudolf