• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Products Short Description

Stargrrl

Im going over the instructions to add this contribution to our store:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3123

The contribution allows a description to appear underneath the product photo and title in the catagory list view, like this:

http://caravanmart.com.au/yard/index.php?c...510cb6bf12eca8c

Most of the modifications are just file replacement except for the first instruction:

1/ Ok first execute this SQL into your database

------------

############# ADD SQL #################

ALTER TABLE `products` ADD `short_desc` TEXT;

Im looking for a step by step on how to "alter" the database table. I dont want to mess the database up and this doesnt give detailed info on how exactly to this.

Any pointers would be awesome..

A

Im going over the instructions to add this contribution to our store:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3123

The contribution allows a description to appear underneath the product photo and title in the catagory list view, like this:

http://caravanmart.com.au/yard/index.php?c...510cb6bf12eca8c

Most of the modifications are just file replacement except for the first instruction:

1/ Ok first execute this SQL into your database

------------

############# ADD SQL #################

ALTER TABLE `products` ADD `short_desc` TEXT;

Im looking for a step by step on how to "alter" the database table. I dont want to mess the database up and this doesnt give detailed info on how exactly to this.

Any pointers would be awesome..

A

do you use phpMyAdmin? if so, it's a breeze to add this SQL instruction.

1) Go to your ISPs admin area for your site.

2) Click on the icon for Mysql, then find the link for phpmyadmin, it might be hidden away at the bottom but not on all admin sites. If you can’t find this, please consult your ISP's help desk.

3) In some cases, you may have to choose which database your OSC tables are located on. If this is the case, please choose using the dropdown box.

4) Click on "SQL" on the navigation bar.

5) Enter/paste your SQL in the textbox provided or, if you have a file containing the sql commands, click on Import and follow the on screen prompts.

6) For both methods click "Go"..

7) If all goes well, your SQL query will run successfully

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Thanks a million, I tried doing this by adding a row to the table but ended up with this error message:

1054 - Unknown column 'short_desc' in 'field list'

insert into products (products_quantity, short_desc, products_model, products_price, products_date_available, products_weight, products_status, products_tax_class_id, manufacturers_id, products_image, products_date_added) values ('500', 'Author - Author Name\r\nLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Praesent eu sapien ac erat placerat sagittis. Suspendisse vel urna at nibh sodales condimentum. Nullam metus. Maecenas lacus purus, vestibulum quis, mattis et, varius quis, urna. Donec semper.', '', '12.95', null, '0', '1', '1', '0', 'bk-lifewithkarol.jpg', now())

[TEP STOP]

I will try your instructions instead,

A

1) Go to your ISPs admin area for your site.

2) Click on the icon for Mysql, then find the link for phpmyadmin, it might be hidden away at the bottom but not on all admin sites. If you can’t find this, please consult your ISP's help desk.

3) In some cases, you may have to choose which database your OSC tables are located on. If this is the case, please choose using the dropdown box.

4) Click on "SQL" on the navigation bar.

5) Enter/paste your SQL in the textbox provided or, if you have a file containing the sql commands, click on Import and follow the on screen prompts.

6) For both methods click "Go"..

7) If all goes well, your SQL query will run successfully

My SQL command ran successfuly and I now see the short description field when adding products in admin.

But for some reason the text I input there isnt showing up on preview. When I go back to the product and look at the short description box the text is no longer there. It seems to be losing the data somehow. Im not getting any error message though just this problem.

Thanks,

A

Thanks a million, I tried doing this by adding a row to the table but ended up with this error message:

1054 - Unknown column 'short_desc' in 'field list'

insert into products (products_quantity, short_desc, products_model, products_price, products_date_available, products_weight, products_status, products_tax_class_id, manufacturers_id, products_image, products_date_added) values ('500', 'Author - Author Name\r\nLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Praesent eu sapien ac erat placerat sagittis. Suspendisse vel urna at nibh sodales condimentum. Nullam metus. Maecenas lacus purus, vestibulum quis, mattis et, varius quis, urna. Donec semper.', '', '12.95', null, '0', '1', '1', '0', 'bk-lifewithkarol.jpg', now())

[TEP STOP]

I will try your instructions instead,

A

• 1 month later...

I am trying to install this mod. Everything has gone ok, the sql query, table made, but I get this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: tep_get_short_desc() in /home/content/b/e/s/site_name/html/admin/categories.php on line 602

Please help.