• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

V2.2 RC2 Paypal function?

thomas86

Its mainly about the transactional flow...

Website Payments Standard

1. Click on Product

2. Add product to cart

3. Click Checkout

4. Log In Store Account / New Customer

5. Shipping Address/Shipping Methond...Continue

6. Select Payment Methond (PayPal)

7. Confirm Order --> Redirect to PayPal.com

8. Log into PayPal

9. Click Pay Now

10. Payment complete Click Return button to return to Merchant Store

11. Order has been processed Click Continue.

Express Checkout

1. Click on Product

2. Add product to cart

3. Click Express Checkout button

4. Log In Store Account / New Customer --> Redirect to PayPal.com (New release will eliminate this and allow Purchase Without Account!)

5. Log into PayPal

6. Confirm Payment Method, POstal Address, Contact Information...Click Continue

7. Automatically return to Merchant Store to Confirm Order and complete.

As you can see Express Checkout involves fewer steps to complete the transaction which results in a higher conversion rate and less chance of buyer dropout. With Website Payments Standard after the transaction has been completed you remain on PayPal until you click to return to the merchant site, however with Express Checkout you are automatically returned back to the merchant site to complete the order.

Thanks,

John.

• 9 months later...

Does the express checkout module add shipping costs and other things, like coupons etc to the end sum of the purchase?

I think not. As far as I can see, it goes to paypal directly from the shopping cart and uses the adress on the credit card or the paypal account and that's it. But how does it know my shipping price?

I couldn't try, but I need this info. If it only pays the item without shipping costs, then it's useless, because I can't tell the customer, he needs to send extra X dollar for shipping.

Please somebody, who knows that help!

Does the express checkout module add shipping costs and other things, like coupons etc to the end sum of the purchase?

I think not. As far as I can see, it goes to paypal directly from the shopping cart and uses the adress on the credit card or the paypal account and that's it. But how does it know my shipping price?

I couldn't try, but I need this info. If it only pays the item without shipping costs, then it's useless, because I can't tell the customer, he needs to send extra X dollar for shipping.

Please somebody, who knows that help!

sorry hunnenkoenig, but I don't know the answer - but this is exactly the question I need to ask.

I currently use Paypal Express Checkout and it completely bypasses the "Shipping" section - completely useless !!!

Please, please help someone !! :)

I looked into the code and there were some references to shipping and taxes.

One customer I have knowledge about, used the express checkout, and his paypal account got debited, but I didn't get a notification, nor the purchase is showing anywhere. I don't even know, what he has bought. The money on his end got frozen, but I didn't receive it.

I am waiting for his call to get known, which amount he got debited and for what.

I think, this contrib is a total failure.

It's also not clear, what I have to do on paypal's side. I got the credentials and I enabled the API permissions (which I don't know if I really need), but i don't know what's going on.

Paypal is also a horrible solution in my opinion. I had always problems with them.

My initial money transfer for registering my credit card never shown up on my account although it was mentioned. I also got debited twice. Once with the initial transfer (400HUF - Hungarian Forint) and once for 1 dollar (266 HUF).

I contacted support and they transfered manually 400HUF back to my credit card instead of my paypal account. A bunch of jerks.

So if you can, avoid paypal, or be prepared for problems.

I will write here, what the contrib did, when I can clear it with the customer.