Jack_mcs

Header Tags SEO

@Jack_mcs

hi Jack,

Just a suggestion to reduce the size of this addon. I think you can safely remove any and all references to osC versions that are below version 2.3 because…:

1) Anyone who currently has an osC version below 2.3, has already installed this HTSEO addon

2) Anyone who chooses osC for a new install, will not install an old version below 2.3

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

1 hour ago, Demitry said:

1) Anyone who currently has an osC version below 2.3, has already installed this HTSEO addon

There are a number of shop owners that fall into this category. If I remove that version, they no longer will have updates. While it would be best if they upgraded to CE, that is not always possible. I don't want to leave them stranded so I continue to provide that version, though I may not supply full instructions for the older versions in future releases.

@Jack_mcs

hi Jack,

I’m installing this addon for BS Edge and going through all the files. Here are some issues I found.

This file has no changes in it.

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog/includes/application_bottom.php

These files need a class constructor function __construct():

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog_only_new_files/includes/modules/content/header/cm_header_headertags_pagetop.php

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog_only_new_files/includes/modules/content/product_info/ cm_pi_headertags_seo.php

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog_only_new_files/includes/modules/boxes/bm_header_tags.php

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog_only_new_files/includes/modules/boxes/bm_header_tags_social.php

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog_only_new_files/includes/modules/boxes/bm_headertags_seo_silo.php

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog_only_new_files/admin/includes/classes/header_tags_seo.php

These folders are empty:

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog/includes/modules/content/header/templates/

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog/includes/modules/content/navigation/templates/

I’m not finished reviewing all the code for the version I am installing in the package folder Use_if_version_BootStrap, and I’ll let you know if I find anything else.

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to post this. The unreleased version has most, if not all, fixed already, I dost haven't had the time to get an update posted but do plan one for this year. In the meantime, please do post any problems you find.

Posted (edited)

@Jack_mcs

more on this addon…

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog_only_new_files/includes/modules/header_tags_social_bookmarks.php

In this file there is code calling for the /ext/javascript/plusone.js file. After doing a site search, this is the only place where this file is called. So,.. that plusone.js file can be removed and the call replaced with the following for a cached copy of it from Google.

echo '<script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script>';

Though better yet,… you could remove that code block along with the database install code for Google Plus because Google Plus is no longer in existence.

Edited by Demitry

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&amp;geo=US&amp;q=oscommerce

Also, in the /includes/header_tags.php file, you can combine the noodp and noydir meta tags into one. This should also reduce the related database configuration by one setting.

So, ..from this:

if ($defaultTags['meta_noodp'])     echo '<meta name="robots" content="noodp" />' . "\n";
if ($defaultTags['meta_noydir'])    echo '<meta name="slurp" content="noydir" />' . "\n";

to this:

if ($defaultTags['meta_noodp'])     echo '<meta name="robots" content="noodp,noydir" />' . "\n";

Reference article:  https://www.seoworkers.com/seo-articles-tutorials/using-noodp-and-noydir.html

Posted (edited)

more....

These files have no changes in them.

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog/includes/.htaccess

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog/includes/modules/content/index_nested/cm_in_category_description.php

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog/includes/modules/content/index_nested/cm_in_category_listing.php

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog_only_new_files/admin/header_tags_seo_popup_help.php - just calls the application_top file with no other code content.

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog/index.php - (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] should be (int)$ _GET ['manufacturers_id']

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog/product_info.php - echo "<a name=\"\$header_tags_array['title']\"></a>"; has an extra back-slash before the variable and really should be: echo '<a name="' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '"></a>';

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog_only_new_files/admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php - font-size:10ps; should be font-size:10px; (2 instances – lines 213 and 214)

Edited by Demitry

Posted (edited)

@Jack_mcs

Hi,

Thank you for the addon. I had install Header Tags SEO on Frozen BS version.
I also have a separately index.htm, when google search, it will link to the index.htm,
and when customers click on shop1 or shop 2, it can have option to link to two different shops. (so total have 3 oscommerce system: all have Header Tags SEO installed
main-oscommerce.com/admin/  & main-oscommerce.com/index.htm
main-oscommerce.com/shop1/admin/ & main-oscommerce.com/shop1/index.php
main-oscommerce.com/shop2/admin/ & main-oscommerce.com/shop2/index.php  )

so my question is that on main-oscommerce.com I tried to add the missing page under page control, update "index.htm"
but it seems ony read .php files, is it possible to add Tag / meta for this separated index.htm?

Many thanks!

Lyn

Edited by ce7

7 hours ago, ce7 said:

so my question is that on main-oscommerce.com I tried to add the missing page under page control, update "index.htm"
but it seems ony read .php files, is it possible to add Tag / meta for this separated index.htm?

This addon can only work with php files and then only if they are part of the shop. If you have a non-php file,  you will need to add them manually to that file.

@Jack_mcs

hi Jack,

In this file there is a style tag inside of an inline style tag for the Additional Words field.

/Use_if_version_BootStrap/catalog_only_new_files/admin/includes/modules/header_tags_seo.php 

And I rewrote that file for better formatting of the titles and fields. I used a table structure because the divs were messed up and frankly, it was easier to do it this way. File is attached and below is a screenshot of how it is formatted now.

HTSEO-categories-page-module.thumb.png.ccaf86ccede6d0845f880182f1de540a.png

header_tags_seo.php

@DemitryThanks for those. I will make a note for the next version.

Posted (edited)

@Jack_mcs

hi Jack,

Question for you about the purpose of the "currently viewing" link. I noticed that BS Edge product_info.php page has this same link for the product title and both, the "currently viewing" link and that product page title link reload the same page.

This is confusing for the user, and for bots it sends them into a loop. That's something search engines don't like too much on either front. They already have this issue with the logo image link on the home page. Is there another purpose for these two links that I am not aware of?

Edited by Demitry

@DemitryThe search engines follow all links on a page and those links count towards PageRank (maybe). It doesn't matter that it is to the same page. It won't cause a loop. They will follow the link and mark where it goes to and where it came from. When the page is visited again, they will see that they have already been there and not keep following it.

The link was more important in years past when PageRank was more easily tracked. But since google started hiding details about PageRank about five years ago, it is unknown how much internal links help.  That's why I said "maybe".  I think it still helps but some shop owners never have liked having it there, for whatever reason, and is why I added an option to turn it off.