• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

For the product data missing, I suppose a mistake in the changes of the categories.php file could cause that but nothing should have caused the configure problem. There was a problem with something like this happening with the Ultimate SEO addon and it turned out to be the persons host was detecting code in that addon as malicious and deleting it. I've not heard of that happening for this addon but I suppose it is possible. Although, even if that is the case, only the suspected file(s) should be deleted. Not all database entries. So none of this makes sense to me. If possible, try installing it into a clean shop (no other changes) and see if it still fails. That might help trace down the cause.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Have reinstalled the whole shop and will try again, maybe something was wrong even before the headertags install, anyways it truly does do seo wonders on my other sites.

Oh and is it ok to use the "catolog for new shop only" files even when I use the very latest osc release?

No, the included files are for a 2.3 shop. I will probably replace those with 2.3.3.4 files in the next release, which will be soon, but I haven't decided yet.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

The last one by me is the one I use, both on my shop and on others where I install it, and I haven't ran across any problems with it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

A new version has been uploaded with the changes listed below. Please note that this is a major upgrade. Most, if not all, of the Header Tags files were changed and many of the shops files that had been changed before by the installation were also changed, as well as some new ones. I have installed this version into several live shops and they are working fine so I don't expect any problems. But with changes this large, that is always a possibility so be sure to do a backup first.

• Added an option to show short category descriptions on the product listing page.
  • Added advanced_search_result.php to the exclude list.
  • Added s character counter for the title and description in Page Control since google is paying more attention to these lately.
  • Added OG meta tags code with on/off option.
  • Added Twitter Card code.
  • Added keyword highlighter for the products page.
  • Added self-closing to the meta tags for 2.3.
  • Added code to fill tags to scroll to the bottom if errors are found.
  • Added code to fill tags to show the name of the language for errors.
  • Added option to bypass file checking when adding files in admin needed for some of the templates.
  • Added a cron file to update categories, manufacturers and products automatically. Useful for sites that use feed updates.
  • Added a breadcrumb field so that text can be controlled separately.
  • Added the product review info page to application_top so its breadcrumb is displayed with the Header Tags SEO text.
  • Added an alternate name field for categories, manufacturers and products to display on those pages.
  • Added a url field for the categories, manufacturers and products so the url text can be controlled (requires Ultimate SEO V 2.2d).
  • Added sub page text, currently viewing and social icons code to product review pages.
  • Added code to recreate the pseudo code in the includes/header_tags.php file when that file is replaced.
  • Added a social infobox so the social icons can appear on every page.
  • Added a new color to the keyword section in admin to identify assigned keywords.
  • Added css class for Currently Viewing.
  • Added home page text code so additional text can be entered on the home page.
  • Added pagination code to the keywords section.
  • Changed code so it is now compatible with SEO 5.
  • Changed breadcrumb code so the product model is included in the breadcrumb if that option is enabled in Page Control.
  • Changed the google plus1 social icon code to display correctly.
  • Changed popup_images to popup_image in admin/includes/header_tags.php found my member Rainer.
  • Changed canonical code to remove language.
  • Changed Fill Tags radio selectors so the name, not just the button, enables the option.
  • Changed Fill Tags so it checks the languages in use and only displays the All option if there is more than one.
  • Changed "See more" in the product listing pages to "See more XXX" where XXX is the product name.
  • Changed keyword code in admin so the product ID of an existing assigned word can be changed.
  • Changed install and update database files to work with any oscommerce vrsion without displaing failures.
  • Corrected the instructions in headertags_seo_update.php as found by member chemist4.
  • Corrected several, minor, html-type coding mistakes.
  • Fixed problem with adding new pages that would sometimes cause an out of sync condition with the DB and file.
  • Fixed problem with adding new pages that used hypens in the names.
  • Fixed problem with adding pseduo pages when the base file was not present.
  • Fixed problem with silo infobox where it would fail on an empty list as reported by member Mort-lemur.
  • Improved filename checking to prevent failures on files in the root that are not proper oscommerce files.
  • Improved coding for adding new pages that will speed that up important for large sites.
  • Included a screenshot for Page Control that may help explain its usage better.
  • Minified the stylesheet.
  • Moved the Header Tags SEO display code for the products edit page into its own module and rewrote the code to display better.
  • Moved Social bookmarks to after currently viewiing and sub text on the produt page.
  • Removed ekstreme and furl social bookmarks since they no longer exist.
  • Replaced primary key with indexes in the header tags tables
  • Removed the header_tags_seo_convert.php file from this package no longer needed.
  • Test Routine Added code to check for database update file.
  • Test Routine Fixed missing database problems as reported by member Mort-lemur (2.3.3.4 only).

Here are some notes on the some of the new features:

- A new social bookmarks section was added. You can now control the social media icons that appear on the page from within admin. There are hundreds of social media sites and using ones that are specifc to your shop is more helpful than just adding all that can be found. Adding to the list is a simple matter of uploading the image for them in the size you want. See an existing image to understand what is needed.

- There are now separate fields for the breadcrumb, page title and url so that they can all be set to something different, if needed. For the url field, Ultimate SEO v2.2d needs to be installed.

- The keywords section in admin now has pagination code so handling the many words in the list should be a little easier.

- The new "keyword highlighter" allows the automatic bolding of keywords on the product page. This is useful because search engines give more weight to bolded keywords.

- The product review page now has Header Tags code in it so that should elimiate many sites have with duplicate content for these pages.

- There is an option that allows short category descriptions to be shown on the product listing page. In general, the more keyword-related text that is on a page, the better it will rank. You have to weigh this against how it will affect your customer though since too much text can bore them.

That covers most of the major changes. Please report any problems here.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

What version of oscommerce are you using? Did you make the change by following the instructions or by comparing files? If by instructions, is this an upgrade or a new installation?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

What version of oscommerce are you using? Did you make the change by following the instructions or by comparing files? If by instructions, is this an upgrade or a new installation?

I'm running less than 2.3. I used the upgrade instructions. I also noticed in the admin/header_tags_seo.php file, there was some apostrophes that can be removed.

lines 831, 835, 839, 843

maxlength="255" size="36"'> the apostrophe after "36"

Yes, it looks like that is a mistake. There are six other lines ending the same way so those would need to be changed too. But these were in the previous version and really shouldn't cause a fatal error so I'm not sure that is the cause.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

FYI

Received the following error message in categories.php:

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function tep_draw_textarea_ckeditor() in categories.php on line 751"

I changed 'Enable HTML Editor for Products Descriptions' to false to avoid the error message.

Installed Header Tags SEO 3.3.1 in osc v2.3.3.4.

Thanks

I didn't think to mention that this last version of Header Tags SEO requires php 5.3. If your host is still running 5.2, or before, don't install this update.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Could anybody explain why the category description, which is in my case 5-10 sentences falls into <h2>? Isn't it better to have something like <h2>Description</h2> and then actual description as a content? Also because the style for h2 is usually a visible font (bold, etc.) and when 5 sentences are all in bold, it does not look cool...

You are supposed to code a page as you would if the search engines were not a consideration. And, doing it that way, no, h2 should not be used for a paragraph. But very few shops, in my experience have a sub-heading that h2 would apply to. Doing that would also cause the loss of vertical space, which is important on many sites. Whether h2 is even looked at by the search engines is long-debated SEO topic. i think that if it is used, it is a very low ranking factor. What is much more important is the fact that the text is there in the first place, which it isn't on many sites. So change that how you see fit. I don't see it being an issue either way.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You told it to use an editor that wasn't present. If you want to use the editor, you have to install it.

I currently have ckeditor 3.6.2 installed and working using tep_draw_textarea_field by passing class="ckeditor" as one of the params. Is tep_draw_textarea_ckeditor() part of another addon? Also, my host is running PHP 5.3.27.

Thanks

Oh, I see, There seems to be two different sets of instructions floating around for that editor. One says to use the class method and one says to use the function. For the class method, the code is

echo tep_draw_textarea_field('products_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', '110', '15', (isset($products_description[$languages[$i]['id']]) ? stripslashes($products_description[$languages[$i]['id']]) : tep_get_products_description($pInfo->products_id, $languages[$i]['id'])), 'id = "products_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']" class="ckeditor"');

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you for the very helpful answers Jack!

Is there any difference between UPPER_ITEMNAME and ITEMNAME in 'fill tags'?

I thought it is a parent category, but it is apparently not.

Is it possible to use parent category name when filling tags for a subcategory?

Click Help for that section in fill tags for an explanation of those names. No, there's not a way to use the parent category.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

There's nothing in the code that would allow that. The tag is added in the includes/header_tags.php file. You could add a check there for the language and skip adding the tag based on that. That's a mistake, of course, but if you want to do it, that would be how.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I get an error in the admin

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ':' in /home/xyz/public_html/admin/header_tags_seo.php on line 912

Any Idea?

I think this is caused by php version, you must change all example:

$header_tags_array['title'] ?: $review['products_name']

into

$header_tags_array['title'] ? $header_tags_array['title'] : $review['products_name']