• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Hello there,

i have an issue in version 3.2.6 with the rel canonical tag in category pages (cache enabled)

When the cache is empty it's OK, otherwise it's not => i get a basename canonical for all my categories (same as homepage)

In /includes/header_tags.php, I can see that the variable $canonical_url is set only when a cache block doesn't exist.

If $canonical_url is empty then the function GetCanonicalURL() is called :

function GetCanonicalURL()
{
 $parts = explode("&", $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']);
 $cnt = count($parts);

if ($cnt == 1 && basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) === FILENAME_DEFAULT) { //home page
 $url = StripSID(tep_href_link('/', $args, 'NONSSL', false) );
 if (substr($url, -2) == '//') {
	 $url = substr($url, 0, -1);	   //remove duplicate slashes
 }  
 return $url;  
 }
 $args = tep_get_all_get_params(array('action','currency', tep_session_name(),'sort','page'));
 return StripSID(tep_href_link(basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), $args, 'NONSSL', false) );
}

But it seems that the condition ($cnt == 1) is true with or without cpath.

What do you think ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Yohgars

i have an issue in version 3.2.6 with the rel canonical tag in category pages (cache enabled)

When the cache is empty it's OK, otherwise it's not => i get a basename canonical for all my categories (same as homepage)

There is a known problem with cache when the gzip option is used. Try setting it to not use gzip and see if that makes a difference.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Ok, good to know

but I don't use the GZIp option.

HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_CACHE is set to Normal.

So I can check the header_tags_cache easily.

I just tried it here for both RC2 and 2.3 shops and it handles the canonical tag correctly while cache is set to normal. Perhaps you have another contribution that is conflicting with it or some entry in the .htaccess file that overrides it. Be sure you have the search engine friendly option turned off. Also run the test to see if any obvious problems exist.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Code mismatch -

osCommerce 2.3.1

HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.2.6

In Install_Catalog.txt the very first instruction for code to change is for the following code in catalog/includes/template_top.php:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">
<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

But a default install of 2.3.1 does not have that code. It has this code:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>" />
<title><?php echo tep_output_string_protected($oscTemplate->getTitle()); ?></title>

Seeing this mismatch I want to confirm if 3.2.6 is the latest distribution of Header Tags SEO?

If so why is the code reference not matching osCommerce 2.3.1?

Should I expect any other discrepancies?

Hi

I find another bug

http://www.sklep.emc...gs_seo_silo.php\

1146 - Table 'emc_skleputfpl.TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SILO' doesn't exist
select * from TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SILO where category_id = 0
[TEP STOP]

and http://www.sklep.emc...er_tags_seo.php

1146 - Table 'emc_skleputfpl.TABLE_HEADERTAGS' doesn't exist
select * from TABLE_HEADERTAGS where language_id = 1
[TEP STOP]

The tabel existing

I can't find any solution

Code mismatch -

osCommerce 2.3.1

HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.2.6

In Install_Catalog.txt the very first instruction for code to change is for the following code in catalog/includes/template_top.php:

Seeing this mismatch I want to confirm if 3.2.6 is the latest distribution of Header Tags SEO?

If so why is the code reference not matching osCommerce 2.3.1?

Should I expect any other discrepancies?

That is a known mistake in the code. If you would take the time to read through the thread, or search for the problem, you would see it. I don't upload new versions for every problem found since, contrary to popular opinion, I do have a life. If you can't take the time to look through the thread for known problems, then you would need to wait for the next version. There is a next version but it is only currently available to my customers. I will eventually upload it as an upgrade but I can't say when that will be.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi

I find another bug

http://www.sklep.emc...gs_seo_silo.php\

1146 - Table 'emc_skleputfpl.TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SILO' doesn't exist
select * from TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SILO where category_id = 0
[TEP STOP]

and http://www.sklep.emc...er_tags_seo.php

1146 - Table 'emc_skleputfpl.TABLE_HEADERTAGS' doesn't exist
select * from TABLE_HEADERTAGS where language_id = 1
[TEP STOP]

The tabel existing

I can't find any solution

The capital letters in the error indicate you did not complete the installation properly. You will need to make the required changes to fix such errors.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

That is a known mistake in the code. If you would take the time to read through the thread, or search for the problem, you would see it. I don't upload new versions for every problem found since, contrary to popular opinion, I do have a life. If you can't take the time to look through the thread for known problems, then you would need to wait for the next version. There is a next version but it is only currently available to my customers. I will eventually upload it as an upgrade but I can't say when that will be.

Thanks for the clarification Jack.

This thread is 300 pages long and 3.5 years old!

Unreadable for any average human and many of the issues are relevant to osCommerce 2.2 not 2.3.1.

Is there a known issues txt file for the current 3.2.6 distribution?

Thanks for making a great Add-On!

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack,

Just another stupid question... with OSC 2.3.1 we put the header tags code in the template_top.php which would mean ALL pages including those for which we do not want robots to crawl will have the code right? Is that a good thing?

Mandy

Hello Jack,

Just another stupid question... with OSC 2.3.1 we put the header tags code in the template_top.php which would mean ALL pages including those for which we do not want robots to crawl will have the code right? Is that a good thing?

Mandy

Yes, you are correct about it being in all pages but that hasn't anything to do with being crawled. If you don't want a page ranked, you can make an entry in the robots file or place a no index no follow tag in the file. But notice I said "ranked" and not "listed" because google will list pages regardless of the settings if they think it contains information that should be listed. In that case, it is better to have the title and tags you choose than letting them pick it out.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

hay

can anyone tell me what is a new box that "see more" written in it ? when i click on "see more" it just reloaded the product page ! huh.png

The box only shows up when a product is lshowing and is a way to emphasize the product page for SEO purposes..It should contain information about the product though, not just a more link.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello!

I have insyalled header tags seo and ultimate urls (Chemo - Jack's).

I have problems with 'Enter special character conversions'.

Characters doesnt appers correctlty.

For example, characters ņ or š should become n or s. But mostly they dissapears.

It is, for example, link http://vaciesuuznemums.com/galdii-c-31.html should be http://vaciesuuznemums.com/galdini-c-31.html

Intersting with character "š". Should be "s", but in result: "scaron"

Link: http://vaciesuuznemums.com/koka-iekdurvis-individula-projekta-koka-iekscarondurvis-masivkoka-p-29.html

should be: http://vaciesuuznemums.com/koka-iekdurvis-individula-projekta-koka-ieksdurvis-masivkoka-p-29.html

second.

when i set " Enable use Header Tags SEO as name? " to false, then updated characters (ī=>i,ā=>a,ņ=>n,ž=>z,č=>c,ē=>e,ū=>u,š=>s,ļ=>l,ķ=>k) , then reset cache, characters becomes better looking (also when I set back " Enable use Header Tags SEO as name? " to true.)

Before tht links, for exapmle, looks like this:

http://vaciesuuznemums.com/koka-iekdurvis-individula-projekta-koka-iekdurvis-masvkoka-p-29.html

Interesting, that a lot of problems are with category characters!!!!

and at the end, correctly that link should be:

http://vaciesuuznemums.com/koka-ieksdurvis-individuala-projekta-koka-ieksdurvis-masivkoka-p-29.html

[color - converted character]

How to resolve this problem? Is it possible? I was searching for answers here in forums, in google, but nothing.

Thanks,

I hope someone will help me.

Hello!

I have insyalled header tags seo and ultimate urls (Chemo - Jack's).

I have problems with 'Enter special character conversions'.

Header Tags doesn't have anything to do with the url.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The box only shows up when a product is lshowing and is a way to emphasize the product page for SEO purposes..It should contain information about the product though, not just a more link.

hi JACK

but it is just a link to the same page and it doesnt contain any kind of information about the product , am i right ?

TKS

hi JACK

but it is just a link to the same page and it doesnt contain any kind of information about the product , am i right ?

TKS

No, as previsouly stated, it should contain more information. Something in your products and/or template is preventing it from displaying correctly.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi i have some problem with ckeditor and header tag seo looks attach:

Anyone know solution ??

The image doesn't look like a basic 2.3 shop so there's no way to provide help for it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello, I was trying to look through the posts to see if it's already been mentioned. Didn't find anything, but may have missed it.

I was trying out the silo box for the first time, but it was always empty. This is for the "greater than 2.3" files.

I found that in includes/modules/boxes/bm_headertags_seo_silo.php the links are never returned.

In the get_silo() function it ends with

if (empty($linkList))
  return;

but doesn't do anything when it's NOT empty. So nothing is returned either way. I believe the code should be

if (empty($linkList))
  return;

return $linkList

So if empty, it returns nothing. But if it's not empty it returns the actual list of links that was just created.

Also, maybe more of a request, but I think the output should be adjusted so that if $linkList IS empty, the box won't output anything. Currently it will output the header with an empty box. Maybe something like

if (!empty($this->get_silo()){
  $data = ...

$oscTemplate->addBlock($data, $this->group);
}

Edited by jefs.42

Hello, I was trying to look through the posts to see if it's already been mentioned. Didn't find anything, but may have missed it.

I was trying out the silo box for the first time, but it was always empty. This is for the "greater than 2.3" files.

The silo code is not complete. It will work in pre-2.3 shops but I don't recall even testing it with 2.3.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The silo code is not complete. It will work in pre-2.3 shops but I don't recall even testing it with 2.3.

Ah, that would do it ;)

I haven't actually tried the pre-2.3 version. Seems like it would work fine because if $linkList is empty it "returns". Otherwise it falls through and outputs the $info_box_contents. This was the first I've played with the silo at all so happened to be a 2.3 version. Figured maybe I was just doing it wrong that it wasn't outputting anything other than the heading no matter what page I went to, so opened up the bm_headertags_seo_silo.php to try and find out why.

With the class/functions setup you have in the 2.3+ version you have this in the execute() function:

' <div class="ui-widget-content infoBoxContents">' .
$this->get_list() .
' </div>' .

Which would output whatever the function get_list() returns. But as mentioned above, the current code for the get_list() function never returns anything. It either

a. just returns if $linkList is empty or

b. still just returns because that's the end of the function

So regardless of whether $linkList gets populated, or is empty, the output of $this->get_list() is always nothing.

Otherwise the actual list getting seems fine. With the change I mentioned above (ie, actually returning the list when it's not empty) works nicely. It then does output a list of links - subcategories, products, etc.

Thank you for this and all your addons. I've used them well wink.png So just wanted to help out in case this hadn't come up before and/or you weren't aware.

The second part, like I said, was just a thought/feature request in the case where $linkList is actually empty. So then it wouldn't just output a heading with no content.

Edited by jefs.42