• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

It seems that the contribution is working for me, but I appear to have lost my fckeditor. When I go to edit a product it just has the standard text editing box.

I read a few posts up that you said the fckeditor should work fine with this contribution as is. From what I have read I should focus on the admin>categories.php file but any idea which part could cause the fckeditor to drop off?

Just noticed that I lost my breadcrumps too.

Did you enable the option to use the editor in the Header Tags SEO settings section?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Did you enable the option to use the editor in the Header Tags SEO settings section?

mmm, nope. I didn't even see it. Is that info in the instructions? I don't see it in the Header Tags SEO Panel?

Gonna take another look at the install instructions now.

mmm, nope. I didn't even see it. Is that info in the instructions? I don't see it in the Header Tags SEO Panel?

From the read me last file,

6 - Go to admin-Configuration->Header Tags SEO and change the settings to

your preferences. Enabling the Social Bookmarks and product box is

recommended.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Okay I was re reading the Install_Catalog file and saw a mention about the Header Tags section under admin>configuration and I am making changes there now.

I kept looking in the Install_Admin file for troubleshooting, I forgot all about the Install_catalog file.

From the read me last file,

Okay got it setup and looks like its running good.

Some other questions:

1. Could you elaborate a little on the Keyword Density Option. It is setup as 0.02, 0.06 and I read the description for the option but it still isn't sinking in.

2. The social bookmarking images/option. I am not into the whole social media thing. Would I need an account for people to be able to use those or could someone that has their own (say a facebook) account just click the icon and add it to "their" own social medai account.

3. Any idea on why the breadcrumbs don't display now? Before, when on a product page it would display Home>>Catalog>>Category>>Sub-Category>>Actual-Product , but now it only shows Home>>Catalog>> >> >>Actual-Product

It is not displaying the category & sub-category links of the breadcrumbs. The place where they would be is there but is just blank between the >> characters

4. Under Silo Control it says: In practice, when a Silo is displayed, the other links, like the categories infobox, should really be removed. By "categories infobox" do you mean the "product box/display column box" option?

Okay got it setup and looks like its running good.

Some other questions:

1. Could you elaborate a little on the Keyword Density Option. It is setup as 0.02, 0.06 and I read the description for the option but it still isn't sinking in.

2. The social bookmarking images/option. I am not into the whole social media thing. Would I need an account for people to be able to use those or could someone that has their own (say a facebook) account just click the icon and add it to "their" own social medai account.

3. Any idea on why the breadcrumbs don't display now? Before, when on a product page it would display Home>>Catalog>>Category>>Sub-Category>>Actual-Product , but now it only shows Home>>Catalog>> >> >>Actual-Product

It is not displaying the category & sub-category links of the breadcrumbs. The place where they would be is there but is just blank between the >> characters

4. Under Silo Control it says: In practice, when a Silo is displayed, the other links, like the categories infobox, should really be removed. By "categories infobox" do you mean the "product box/display column box" option?

1 - Keyword density is only used when the option to pick the keywords dynamically from the page in Fill Tags is used. I don't recommend using that option since the script may not pick the corect words for the page. But if you do, the keywords density is a percentage, 2 - 6 %, and refers to how often a keyword is used on a page as compared to all of the words on the page.

2 - People with their own accounts add those to their lists and that displays for others to see. You don't need your own account.

3 - You probably didn't run fill tags or don't have the category chekbox selected in page control for index.php.

4 - The silo option is not complete. It can be used but the statement is referring to how it should work, not how it does. The display column box should be used. That is something else altogether.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I don't know what you mean about changing one line of code. Once installed, you shouldn't have to change any code since using the editor is controlled via the settings. As far as I know, the editor works fine with Header Tags.

I had to change something, because before that it wouldn't load the editor up. I dropped a little bit of code in and, boom, it works.

Awesome contrib - wish it'd been installed BEFORE we put products on though - nevermind!

I had to change something, because before that it wouldn't load the editor up. I dropped a little bit of code in and, boom, it works.

Awesome contrib - wish it'd been installed BEFORE we put products on though - nevermind!

When the products were added shouldn't matter, especially if you have the Easy Populate contribution installed. Easy Populate has an option that allows the Header Tags fileds to be handled in the feed. But even without it, you can use fill tags to fill the various items, assuming that is why you said that.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

i have installed Header tags SEO after installing your other contribution Add more fields.

Header tags SEO works perfect but when i add input in the extra field i have created on product info the it is not saved in the database.

When installing Header tags and had to change/add code to the admin/categorie.php file,some bits of codes interfered with the "add more fields" code in there.

I tried to merge it as logical as possible but since i am not a expert at all, i must have done something not quite right.

Would it be possible to give me some hints where to look for the solution?

I guess it has to do something with the code in the admin/categorie.php so i will add it in here.

Any help would be really apreciated!

I am using osCommerce 2.2-MS2

HTTP server: Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat) PHP/4.4.9 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

PHP versie: 4.4.9 (Zend: 1.3.0)

categories.php

i have installed Header tags SEO after installing your other contribution Add more fields.

Header tags SEO works perfect but when i add input in the extra field i have created on product info the it is not saved in the database.

When installing Header tags and had to change/add code to the admin/categorie.php file,some bits of codes interfered with the "add more fields" code in there.

I tried to merge it as logical as possible but since i am not a expert at all, i must have done something not quite right.

Would it be possible to give me some hints where to look for the solution?

I guess it has to do something with the code in the admin/categorie.php so i will add it in here.

The two work well together. You just have to figure out how to merge them, like any other contribution. There's no way for me to say where the problem is since it could be anywhere in the file.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The two work well together. You just have to figure out how to merge them, like any other contribution. There's no way for me to say where the problem is since it could be anywhere in the file.

Thanks for the quick reply Jack. Just to be sure...the solution should be somewhere in the admin/categories.php ?

Petra

Thanks for the quick reply Jack. Just to be sure...the solution should be somewhere in the admin/categories.php ?

Petra

Most likely.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Afternoon Everyone,

I'm having really problems with my installation of Header Tags SEO, it's not populating the meta tags, product descriptions etc. in the <head> section of my site. It's v2.3.1 with Quantity Price Breaks code installed prior to this. No other modifications to the stock code.

I've tested the install, using the Test function in Header Tags SEO and it tells me "product_info.php is missing Header Tags code or it is not installed correctly. Verify that Fill Tags has been ran and that the root checkbox or the default checkboxes have been checked in Page Control."

I've just today finished going through every single piece of the installation once more. I've verified that every single page is accurate to the instructions given, all files are located in their correct folder's and that the database was un-installed and then re-run, just to make sure everything was correct before yelling for help. I've also followed the install directions to run the "Fill Tag's function, and then checked that the default checkboxes in Page Control were also checked. I've gone through this installation sideways, forwards and backwards now, trying to fix it myself and I'm lost....can anyone out there help me please.....

Cheers,

DougB

Afternoon Everyone,

I'm having really problems with my installation of Header Tags SEO, it's not populating the meta tags, product descriptions etc. in the <head> section of my site. It's v2.3.1 with Quantity Price Breaks code installed prior to this. No other modifications to the stock code.

I've tested the install, using the Test function in Header Tags SEO and it tells me "product_info.php is missing Header Tags code or it is not installed correctly. Verify that Fill Tags has been ran and that the root checkbox or the default checkboxes have been checked in Page Control."

I've just today finished going through every single piece of the installation once more. I've verified that every single page is accurate to the instructions given, all files are located in their correct folder's and that the database was un-installed and then re-run, just to make sure everything was correct before yelling for help. I've also followed the install directions to run the "Fill Tag's function, and then checked that the default checkboxes in Page Control were also checked. I've gone through this installation sideways, forwards and backwards now, trying to fix it myself and I'm lost....can anyone out there help me please.....

When a new install is done, after the last file change is made and the database has been updated, you should be able to go to the index page and see the "Replace me in page control...." Do you see that? If not, you've made some mistake in the installation. If you do see it, then go to page control, select product_info.php, type something into the box labelled "Title" and update. Then go to the product page on the shop side and see if what you typed in is in the web browser title. If it is, then it is working. If not, do a view source while on the product page and make sure you can see the title and meta tag code, whether it is filled in or not. Other than that, all I can think is that you are using the wrong set of files/instructions for your version of oscommerce or you are using a template and it is preventing the code from working somehow.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

No I never saw the "Replace me in Page Control" at any time during the installation. When I type something in the Page Control title and then go to the page and view source it hasn't changed. I followed the instructions to the letter, right from the start. The only one glitch I had in the install was that the QPBB file and Header Tags used the same line in two instance in the admin/categories file as was previously noted here in this thread but after the SQL probelms were corrected everything seemed to be operating OK or at least so I thought.

As I'm using osC v.2.3.1, I used the set of instructions for v2.3.+ and the non-new install version as I already had set up the QBPP add-on. As noted, prior to this I'd literally gone through every file in the install a second time, comparing the original files to the modified ones and in every instance the files have been correct as per the instructions...At this point I don't know where to turn, what do you suggest doing?.

Many thanks in advance Jack...

Cheers,

DougB

What is step 3 in the catalog install. There is 1 and 2 then it skips to 4. What is the missing step or is it numbered wrong?

HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.2.6 is the version with this error.

Assuming you are referring to the 2.3 installation file, that file was copied from the other installation file and step three doesn't apply to it. That file has a number of mistakes, though none that will cause the install not to work, which will be changed in the next version.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

No I never saw the "Replace me in Page Control" at any time during the installation. When I type something in the Page Control title and then go to the page and view source it hasn't changed. I followed the instructions to the letter, right from the start. The only one glitch I had in the install was that the QPBB file and Header Tags used the same line in two instance in the admin/categories file as was previously noted here in this thread but after the SQL probelms were corrected everything seemed to be operating OK or at least so I thought.

If you are not seeing the Header Tags code in the head section of any of your pages, then the only reason I can think of is that the includes/template_top.php file doesn't have the required changes.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Assuming you are referring to the 2.3 installation file, that file was copied from the other installation file and step three doesn't apply to it. That file has a number of mistakes, though none that will cause the install not to work, which will be changed in the next version.

What are the mistakes? Because I installed it and get a 500 on my page. I double checked everything.

Hey Jack,

Here's the code from my head section in the admin/includes/template_top.php file. Is this correct?

<?php
/*
 $Id$

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2010 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/
?>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html <?php echo HTML_PARAMS; ?>>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">
<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">
<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<base href="<?php echo HTTP_SERVER . DIR_WS_ADMIN; ?>" />
<!--[if IE]><script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo tep_catalog_href_link('ext/flot/excanvas.min.js'); ?>"></script><![endif]-->
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo tep_catalog_href_link('ext/jquery/ui/redmond/jquery-ui-1.8.6.css'); ?>">
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo tep_catalog_href_link('ext/jquery/jquery-1.4.2.min.js'); ?>"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo tep_catalog_href_link('ext/jquery/ui/jquery-ui-1.8.6.min.js'); ?>"></script>

<?php
 if (tep_not_null(JQUERY_DATEPICKER_I18N_CODE)) {
?>
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo tep_catalog_href_link('ext/jquery/ui/i18n/jquery.ui.datepicker-' . JQUERY_DATEPICKER_I18N_CODE . '.js'); ?>"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
$.datepicker.setDefaults($.datepicker.regional['<?php echo JQUERY_DATEPICKER_I18N_CODE; ?>']);
</script>
<?php
 }
?>

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo tep_catalog_href_link('ext/flot/jquery.flot.js'); ?>"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="includes/stylesheet.css">
<script type="text/javascript" src="includes/general.js"></script>

<?php
/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/
switch (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_HTML_EDITOR)
{
  case 'CKEditor':
    echo '<script type="text/javascript" src="./ckeditor/ckeditor.js"></script>';
  break;

case 'FCKEditor':
  break;

case 'TinyMCE':
    if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_HTML_EDITOR != 'No Editor' && (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_EDITOR_META_DESC == 'true' || HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_EDITOR_CATEGORIES == 'true' || HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_EDITOR_PRODUCTS == 'true'))
    {
      if ($action == 'new_product' || $action == 'new_category' || $action == 'edit_category') { // No need to put JS on all pages.
        $languages = tep_get_languages(); // Get all languages
      // Build list of textareas to convert
        $str = '';
        for ($i = 0, $n = sizeof($languages); $i < $n; $i++) {
          if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_EDITOR_META_DESC  == 'true') $str .= "products_head_desc_tag[".$languages[$i]['id']."],";
          if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_EDITOR_CATEGORIES == 'true') $str .= "categories_htc_description[".$languages[$i]['id']."],";
          if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_EDITOR_PRODUCTS == 'true') $str .= "products_description[".$languages[$i]['id']."],";
        }  //end for each language
        $mce_str = rtrim ($str,","); // Removed the last comma from the string.
      // You can add more textareas to convert in the $str, be careful that they are all separated by a comma.
        echo '<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="includes/javascript/tiny_mce/tiny_mce.js"></script>';
        include "includes/javascript/tiny_mce/general.php";
         }
       }
      break;

default: break;
  }
  /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/
  ?>

</head>

As I've said I've gone through literally everything you've told us to do with this install meticulously from end to end. At this point I'm ready to pull it down and start again, which is quite a bit of work as you can imagine. I don't know...what do you think, should I go this route or is there another way of solving it?

Thanks Jack I appreciate your help here...

DougB

I just noticed something here, in the Install_Admin instructions Step 8) it say's "In admin/includes/template_top.php" but you didn't say that in the post above, you said "includes/template_top.php"...is there a mixup in your instructions or did you actually mean admin/includes/template_top.php, because if so there are no instructions in either the Catalog or Admin install that says for us to do this?

Cheers,

DougB

What are the mistakes? Because I installed it and get a 500 on my page. I double checked everything.

Nothing that would cause that error. If the shop was working before the installation, then you've made some mistake in the installation that is causing that error.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I just noticed something here, in the Install_Admin instructions Step 8) it say's "In admin/includes/template_top.php" but you didn't say that in the post above, you said "includes/template_top.php"...is there a mixup in your instructions or did you actually mean admin/includes/template_top.php, because if so there are no instructions in either the Catalog or Admin install that says for us to do this?

Cheers,

DougB

The problem is on the shop side so looking in the install instructions for the admin side won't get you anywhere. Try looking in the Install_Catalog file at step one, which provides the changes for the template_top.php file.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Funny the first step in my installation instructions in Install_Catalog.txt actually refer's to changes to the index.php, not the template_top.php file at all... As a matter of fact there are no changes noted to the template_top.php file anywhere's in the Install_Catalog section.

The only set of instructions even remotely associated with anything like template_top.php files are in the Admin side of the instructions at Step 8 (admin/includes/template_top.php). Did I get a bad set of instructions out of this somehow and if so, where can I get the good set to download? Thanks again Jack, it really is appreciated more than you'll know.

Cheers,

DougB

Jack, please ignore my previous post, I've just downloaded the latest version v3.2.6 and lo and behold right there in front of me is exactly what I was missing...It's now in and the add-on is working great. Now all I can do is scratch my head wondering where the heck I got the original instructions I was using from...damn.

Next question is should I follow the whole installation through one more time to insure I get the updates. At this point I haven't yet started populating the site with products so that will make it pretty easy. Or will just running the new database changes do it for me?

Much appreciated again as usual...

Cheers

DougB