• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Hello,

I've got a problem here. I installed Header Tags SEO and everything seems to be ok, I don't get any errors when I make test. The problem is that my main page (index.php) doesn't have a title even though I set it in "Page Control". It still shows "Replace me in Page Control under index.php". No difference if I set a default title, or not. I went into phpMyAdmin to see if everything is ok in database, but everything seems to be ok. In "headertags" field "index.php" has it's own page_title, page_description, etc. Second thing is, that the same thing happens to some categories. Some of them are titled with default title that I set in Page Control, others still have "Replace me (...)" title. I don't know what's going on. Could You, please, help me with that?

// Edit: When I select "index.php" in "select an option" field in Page Control and change Title, Description, etc. and click "update" it saves, but when I click "View Result", it shows "Replace me (...)".

Edited by varis

I've got a problem here. I installed Header Tags SEO and everything seems to be ok, I don't get any errors when I make test. The problem is that my main page (index.php) doesn't have a title even though I set it in "Page Control". It still shows "Replace me in Page Control under index.php". No difference if I set a default title, or not. I went into phpMyAdmin to see if everything is ok in database, but everything seems to be ok. In "headertags" field "index.php" has it's own page_title, page_description, etc. Second thing is, that the same thing happens to some categories. Some of them are titled with default title that I set in Page Control, others still have "Replace me (...)" title. I don't know what's going on. Could You, please, help me with that?

// Edit: When I select "index.php" in "select an option" field in Page Control and change Title, Description, etc. and click "update" it saves, but when I click "View Result", it shows "Replace me (...)".

If your home page is showing "Replace me in Page Control under index.php," then the title code is working since that title is only saved in the index.php of Page Control. You just need to go there and edit that text and update it.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If your home page is showing "Replace me in Page Control under index.php," then the title code is working since that title is only saved in the index.php of Page Control. You just need to go there and edit that text and update it.

Thanks for reply.

But I've already said I updated it in Page Control / index.php, but it didn't work. I mean, as I said before - it is saved there, because every time I get there, my title is written there, but it doesn't actually work for real site. When I'm in www.mysite.com/index.php, the title is still "Replace me (...)" and so it is for others categories (but there are a few ones in which title is like I set in Page Control / index.php). That's strange.

But I've already said I updated it in Page Control / index.php, but it didn't work. I mean, as I said before - it is saved there, because every time I get there, my title is written there, but it doesn't actually work for real site. When I'm in www.mysite.com/index.php, the title is still "Replace me (...)" and so it is for others categories (but there are a few ones in which title is like I set in Page Control / index.php). That's strange.

That text is only used in one place in the whole contribution. If you have changed it in page control and the change is staying there, then you have something wrong with your installation, or even your shop. The only way I can think of that happening is if the admin is using a different database than the shop.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

That text is only used in one place in the whole contribution. If you have changed it in page control and the change is staying there, then you have something wrong with your installation, or even your shop. The only way I can think of that happening is if the admin is using a different database than the shop.

I tried installing it 3 times, so I guess it's not installation fault. How can I check if admin is using different database than shop? In configure.php file in both of them? They are ok, connecting to the same database.

There's also "page index.php?language=pl" text in my upper left corner of the screen. I don't know what's going on.

I made a screenshot of my Page Control panel, take a look at it:

http://img39.imageshack.us/f/screenwsh.jpg/

There's also "page index.php?language=pl" text in my upper left corner of the screen. I don't know what's going on.

I made a screenshot of my Page Control panel, take a look at it:

http://img39.imageshack.us/f/screenwsh.jpg/

That's for a different language. Perhaps you haven't setup the title and tags for that language. You should be able to see the other languages in Page Control. If not, the problem is in your shop.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

That's for a different language. Perhaps you haven't setup the title and tags for that language. You should be able to see the other languages in Page Control. If not, the problem is in your shop.

Where exactly in Page Control can I see the other languages? I can't find it. By the way - polish language, which I use, has it's id set to 1 as it was written somewhere in readme file.

Edit: Ok, in phpMyAdmin I changed english language to id = 1 and everything seems to work well, but why the hell isn't it working for polish language? I've put everything that was in english folders in installation catalog to polish folders.

Edited by varis

Where exactly in Page Control can I see the other languages? I can't find it. By the way - polish language, which I use, has it's id set to 1 as it was written somewhere in readme file.

Edit: Ok, in phpMyAdmin I changed english language to id = 1 and everything seems to work well, but why the hell isn't it working for polish language? I've put everything that was in english folders in installation catalog to polish folders.

When you go to a page in Page Control, you should see boxes for all of the installed languages. If they are not there, your languages are not setup correctly.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack I have installed 3.2.3, it's running well. Thank you. In particular I appreciated the modified code so this would work with Sam's Remove-Prevent duplicate content add on, and I appreciate the html editor update in that I use fckEditor.

I am still trying to figure out the duplicate meta tags I get with All-Products when Google crawls by alphabetized category. Meaning <https://www.mystore.com/all-products.php-by-A.html>, <https://www.mystore.com/all-products.php-by-B.html>, etc. But for now that's on the back burner until I let Google crawl over the next couple weeks and see what they come up with for duplicate content issues. I will revisit that then.

Anyway, thanks very much.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Hi, Jack,

My site is RC1, could I directly install this addon or should I upgrade it to RC2 before I install this? Thanks!

This is the support thread for the new Header Tags SEO contribution. It is based on the Header Tags Controller but is not compatible.

Why the new name?

There are a couple of reasons for this. First, so much has changed in the code that it is mostly a different package and maintaining it would be difficult if it were considered just an update. But beyond that, a lot of people mistakenly confuse the Header Tags Controller as just a meta tags handler. It is that but has gone beyond that basic function for some time now. So to compare it to the other meta tags contributions is just wrong. And I should say here that if all you are looking for is a way to handle the meta tags of your shop, you should not install this contribution since it is definitely overkill. But when you consider that the keywords meta tag is rarely used by google at all nowadays, I can't imagine why someone would want to install a package that relied on that tag so much. And that is the real reason for the new name. This contribution is the only one of its kind to tie together so many Search Engine Optimization (SEO) tricks, that the new namejust made sense.

What's the difference?

The following are the major changes (or the ones I could remember) in this new

contribution:

-> The code is 100% langage compliant.

-> Removed the english/header_tags.php file in favor of database entries.

-> Fixed a bug introduced in a previous version. A spelling mistake would make Page Control fail in some cases. I only mention this here because it was a nasty little bug I could never locate. So anyone having that problem should consider upgrading.

-> Added control options to admin->Configuration.

-> Added additional meta tag options. It is doubtful these will be used that much but a number of requests were received for this option so it was added.

-> Added an option to view the title and meta tags on the actual web page from admin.

-> Added Social Bookmark code.

-> Added code to apply mouseover text to the sites logo - unique for each page.

-> Added code to have the breadcrumb use the header tags titles.

-> Added an exclude list in admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php that prevents header tags code from being added to certain files (like checkout pages). This is because those pages don't need tags and excluding them will simplify matters.

-> Added option to Page Control and Fill Tags so that the keywords can be dynamically generated from the pages on the site. Currently, the code only supports single keywords but I plan on changing that. There is an option in admin to only pick keywords that fall within the keyword density settings.

-> Added an automatic page add feature. You still have to edit the actual file in the root but that's all.

-> Added easy install instruction for STS shops. There is just one change to make and the two contribution work together.

-> Added code to have the new features work with BTS based shops. There may be a few cases where an option doesn't work due to how BTS handles the files, but they should be minimal and not anything to cause a great stir.

-> Changed how title, description and keywords are built. This should provide more flexibility for those that want that option. Each item has a sort order and is displayed in the string of text based on that sort order. So, for example, the title of a page can contain some entered text, the default title and the category and manufacturers names (if applicable), in any order.

-> Added an Un-Install file to completely remove Header Tags from the database. This should make testing and troubleshooting easier.

-> Added code to use curl instead of standard php file calls. The code will try curl first and then switch to a file command if it is not present.

-> Tested in MS2, RC2, STS and BTS shops.

Special thanks to the following for their suggestions:

bkellum

java roasters

surfalot

A lot of time went into creating this contribuiton. I hope it proves useful.

Jack

Hi, I'm using a osCommerce template, so my index.php file is altered and I can't find some parts from the catalog_readme that need to be replaced. You have suggested to skip it. If I skip some of those parts that needed to be replaced or added to, how seriously will this addon be affected in performance/effectiveness? Thanks

Hi, I'm using a osCommerce template, so my index.php file is altered and I can't find some parts from the catalog_readme that need to be replaced. You have suggested to skip it. If I skip some of those parts that needed to be replaced or added to, how seriously will this addon be affected in performance/effectiveness? Thanks

If you skip the parts on the index page, except for the head section changes, you will lose the category description and social bookmark options. The category description option is important since it adds relative text to your categories, which is very helpful for SEO purposes.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I am not sure if this is intended functionality but my category pages and a home page share the same values setup for index.php file. So for example if I set Title for index.php to "Home Page" and add a title to some Category to "Category 1" I will get:

Home page ( title for home page)

Category 1 Home page ( title for category 1)

I can leave title empty then Category title will only display Category 1 but Home page title will be empty.

How can I setup title, desc, keywords information for home page only without it being copied over to Category pages?

Thanks.

I am not sure if this is intended functionality but my category pages and a home page share the same values setup for index.php file. So for example if I set Title for index.php to "Home Page" and add a title to some Category to "Category 1" I will get:

Home page ( title for home page)

Category 1 Home page ( title for category 1)

I can leave title empty then Category title will only display Category 1 but Home page title will be empty.

How can I setup title, desc, keywords information for home page only without it being copied over to Category pages?

You need to change the checkbox settings in page control for index.php. Reading the included documentation may help.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I've finished installing this addon though I skipped parts that weren't in my template-version files.

When I click "test" in admin, I get this diagnosis:

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found.

I don't recall the catalog_install instructing me to add the code to the above files.

When I click "test" in admin, I get this diagnosis:

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found.

I don't recall the catalog_install instructing me to add the code to the above files.

The instructions say to add the head code to any page you want to have control over. The above pages are special case pages, which is why the test function mentions them. You can ignore that if you don't want to have control over those pages.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I got a problem. When I click on any product on my site, I get:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare do_magic_quotes_gpc() (previously declared in /home/site/public_html/site/includes/functions/compatibility.php:18) in /home/site/public_html/site/includes/functions/compatibility.php on line 30

I got a problem. When I click on any product on my site, I get:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare do_magic_quotes_gpc() (previously declared in /home/site/public_html/site/includes/functions/compatibility.php:18) in /home/site/public_html/site/includes/functions/compatibility.php on line 30

That's not a header tags problem. It is always a good idea to search with google prior to posting. I've done it for you here.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Very minor bug.

The social bookmark images show an extra slash before the image in the source view. Found if I edited the includes/modules/header_tags_social_bookmarks.php as follows it fixes it:

sample code:

changed

<td><a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=<?php echo $URL . '&title=' . $TITLE; ?>">

<?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . '/socialbookmark/digg.png', 'Add ' . $NAME . ' to Digg'); ?></a></td>

to

<td><a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=<?php echo $URL . '&title=' . $TITLE; ?>">

<?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'socialbookmark/digg.png', 'Add ' . $NAME . ' to Digg'); ?></a></td>

Doesn't affect the display of the icon, it's just that I still can't get google to index my site and it was one of the things it complained about.

If no one else is having this issue then I obviously have my config file set up differently.

Hello all

When searching in categories.php this piece of code

$category_htc_description_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_textarea_field('categories_htc_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'hard', 30, 5, tep_get_category_htc_description($cInfo->categories_id, $languages[$i]['id']));

can not find it because my version has hard instead of soft (twice). I don´t know how would affect neither keeping my soft or the new hard.

Any ideas?

Thanks

When searching in categories.php this piece of code

$category_htc_description_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_textarea_field('categories_htc_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'hard', 30, 5, tep_get_category_htc_description($cInfo->categories_id, $languages[$i]['id']));

can not find it because my version has hard instead of soft (twice). I don´t know how would affect neither keeping my soft or the new hard.

I don't understand what you mean by the "new hard." Hard hasn't been used in the last four or five versions.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The thing is that in my categories.php I have "hard"

and in your instructions you say there sould be a "soft"

FIND (around line 1126):

$category_htc_description_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_textarea_field('categories_htc_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', 30, 5, tep_get_category_htc_description($cInfo->categories_id, $languages[$i]['id']));