osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Category title is added to the product name, thats OK for me

but it also adds:

- the entire category description the product is in

- all category keywords

There's nothing in the code that will do that, no matter the settings, so there is something wrong with your installation.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack, :thumbsup:

I installed Header Tags SEO lastnight without a problem.

Unfortunately I can't quite work out how to make it "work". Before I installed this, I had a very simple contrib that changed the Title of the product pages to the name of the product. It was great for SEO. I think this contrib is supposed to do the same, but I can't figure out how?

Sorry if its a silly question, I'm down with the flu and my head isn't quite with me right now :huh:

:thumbsup:

EDIT: I'm using Ultimate URLS 5 if it makes a difference.

Edited by abbott75

Unfortunately I can't quite work out how to make it "work". Before I installed this, I had a very simple contrib that changed the Title of the product pages to the name of the product. It was great for SEO. I think this contrib is supposed to do the same, but I can't figure out how?

You could try running Fill Tags, per the instructions.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

It appears to be working correctly on all my Shipping ect pages, just the categories and products. Would this indicate that I have made an error on product_info.php?

Or is there a compatibility issue with Ultimate URLs 5?

Thanks so much for your help!

(If it helps, my site is here.)

It appears to be working correctly on all my Shipping ect pages, just the categories and products. Would this indicate that I have made an error on product_info.php?

Or is there a compatibility issue with Ultimate URLs 5?

Yes, SEO 5 has problems with Header Tags. Fixes are in that contribution, as I understand. Troubleshooting steps have been mentioned many times here for titles not showing up. In short, be sure they are in your admin on the categories edit and products edit pages and make sure you have the correct checkboxes checked in page control for each page.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Jack :thumbsup:

A bit of searching files and this forum and I found the issue.

For anyone also having the same trouble, here is what I did.

In the SEO5 folder, under "extras" is a htaccess file. Add this to yours.

In Admin>config>Seo Urls 4, change "Choose URL Rewrite Type" from Standard to Rewrite.

That should fix it :thumbsup:

Hi Jack,

I have installed HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.1.8 .

I have a question about the title in Categories, why the title that I defined for Categories do not appear? they have the same title as the home page.

Where to define the title for all pages which are in Information, like Terms and condition, shipping information, etc.., they have by default the store name.

Thanks for your help

Carina

I have installed HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.1.8 .

I have a question about the title in Categories, why the title that I defined for Categories do not appear? they have the same title as the home page.

Where to define the title for all pages which are in Information, like Terms and condition, shipping information, etc.., they have by default the store name.

What does the test function show? Have you read the test function questions? Why install an older version?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Had this great contribution up and running well for some time now and my google rank is testimony to how good it is!

I recently installed FWR Medias Kiss Error handling and de-bugging contribution, and one of the errors it is showing me are a string of errors like this:

Error: Undefined variable: NAME

File: includes/modules/header_tags_social_bookmarks.php

Line: 59

All the errors are to do with the NAME variable on various lines of the social bookmark element.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

All the errors are to do with the NAME variable on various lines of the social bookmark element.

If you are not using the latest version, then update it since such errors were fixed at some point.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

What does the test function show? Have you read the test function questions? Why install an older version?

Hi Jack,

The test function showz "Duplicate meta description found", I tried to define title for each category, but they all have the same title.

Do I need to upgrade the version?

Thanks

The test function showz "Duplicate meta description found", I tried to define title for each category, but they all have the same title.

Do I need to upgrade the version?

If the contribution is installed correctly, then the problem is either in admin or in the shop side. In admin, you can look at the titles in the category and product edit pages. If they are there and you don't have them turned off in page control, then the problem is in the shop side. Be sure to turn off the default checkboxes in page control and to enable the appropriate ones for the page having the problem.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack, Thanks for your work on this contribution. I'm trying to install it on a site that already has the categories description module installed

should I uninstall it to use your contribution?

<tr>
       <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
         <tr>
           <td class="pageHeading">
            <?php 
              if ( (ALLOW_CATEGORY_DESCRIPTIONS == 'true') && (tep_not_null($category['categories_heading_title'])) ) {
                echo $category['categories_heading_title'];
              } else {
                echo HEADING_TITLE;
              }
            ?>
           </td>
           <td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $category['categories_image'], $category['categories_name'], HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>
         </tr>
  <?php if ( (ALLOW_CATEGORY_DESCRIPTIONS == 'true') && (tep_not_null($category['categories_description'])) ) { ?>
  <tr>
           <td align="left" colspan="2" class="category_desc"><?php echo $category['categories_description']; ?></td>
  </tr>
  <?php } ?>
       </table></td>
     </tr>

Hi Jack, Thanks for your work on this contribution. I'm trying to install it on a site that already has the categories description module installed

should I uninstall it to use your contribution?

You don't have to uninstall it but only one can work. If you leave it in, don't make the changes to the index.php file that have to do with that option and you need to be careful with the changes in admin/categories.php. If you don't use it, be sure to turn that option off in admin. Once installed, either should give the same result. If you leave it in, the rest of Header Tags will work correctly.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

First, thanks for your contribution

I have a little issue on my trail...

Now that I have make longer titles in catagories I have notice that my product name in the trail in underneath the categories (still in the trail-Breadcrumb)!

(the little points are to make it clearer)

EX. trail N.1:

SHOP>>Catalogue>>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

>>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>>

...........................................................................................................................................................My Account | Cart Contents | Checkout

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXhere my product name

I have tried a lot of things and read a lot but still don't how to make it straight like:

EX. trail N.2:

SHOP>>Catalogue>>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

>>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX>>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXhere my product name..................................................My Account | Cart Contents | Checkout

That way my trail won't be thick as it is right now.

Maybe I have miss a thread about it but if you have an idea have to change it as EX. 2?

Thanks

(I am with HEader Tag SEO 3.1.4)

Edited by Eric B

osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1 W3C Valid FR avec : colissimo_v1.9 // CGV // GoogleXML_sitemap - Update -> googlexml_sitemap_seo_v_1.5 // Ultimate SEO URLs 2.1d - Update -> v22d_12 // AntiRobotRegistrationValidation-3.1 // TinyMCE WYSIWYG HTML EDITOR // HEader Tag SEO 3.1.4 // PDF Invoice 1.5 // Specials_enhanced_v1_3_1 // quick_stock_update_v3.5_FRENCH // xmembers_v2.2 // contact_us_form_in_db_with_amin_v1.1 // photo_display_1 // previous_next_with_details // infoBox Admin v.2.25 // whosonlineturbov1.1fr // customer_discount_v1.3 // flash_bannersv2 // Horizontal_menu_V3 // Loginbox_Best_1 // CCGV // XSell_v2_7_2 // Printable Catalog XSS Flaw Fixed // all_specials_slideshow // Birthdays_v1.4 // Search_price_range_pulldown_menu_1.1 // contrib-categories // Reviews_in_Product_Display_v2.3 // Easy Graphical Borders // Simple Multiple Images (Unlimited) with Fancy Popups V1.3.5 // Guestbook V3.0 // Blacklist_IP_v.3 // Quicker Product Edit v2.1 // Chronopost_2010 // Easy Center // Size Shop with Layers // Safari-Chrome_fix // Protection to Configuration v1.3a // Page_Cache_v1.6... Thanks to everyone!

This really is a good contribution although I am having some difficulty in getting the page title to be different from that of the category. At the moment I think it looks odd that the page and the category info are the same. Please click on the link below for example.

swimming ear plugs

Regards. Barry.

I have built an online store solely with the help of this forum.

Maybe I have miss a thread about it but if you have an idea have to change it as EX. 2?

That isn't an issue with Header Tags. There's only so much room and the code in the shop will adjust text that won't fit. You can try editing the breadcrumb result, after it is created in includes/application_top.php, and replace all spaces with  . That might force it to do as you want.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

This really is a good contribution although I am having some difficulty in getting the page title to be different from that of the category. At the moment I think it looks odd that the page and the category info are the same. Please click on the link below for example.

Have you adjusted the checkboxes in page control as mentioned in this thread and the docs? If so, what are those settings?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

That isn't an issue with Header Tags. There's only so much room and the code in the shop will adjust text that won't fit. You can try editing the breadcrumb result, after it is created in includes/application_top.php, and replace all spaces with  . That might force it to do as you want.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your quick reply...

I don't really understand your explanation and what to do! Sorry but I am working hard to understand codes and other things but it is too fast/far sometimes.

Anyway, if you can be a bit more "simple" :blush:;) in what to do..., and to be sure you understand what I mean:

HERE is a link of one of my issue.

Thanks

osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC1 W3C Valid FR avec : colissimo_v1.9 // CGV // GoogleXML_sitemap - Update -> googlexml_sitemap_seo_v_1.5 // Ultimate SEO URLs 2.1d - Update -> v22d_12 // AntiRobotRegistrationValidation-3.1 // TinyMCE WYSIWYG HTML EDITOR // HEader Tag SEO 3.1.4 // PDF Invoice 1.5 // Specials_enhanced_v1_3_1 // quick_stock_update_v3.5_FRENCH // xmembers_v2.2 // contact_us_form_in_db_with_amin_v1.1 // photo_display_1 // previous_next_with_details // infoBox Admin v.2.25 // whosonlineturbov1.1fr // customer_discount_v1.3 // flash_bannersv2 // Horizontal_menu_V3 // Loginbox_Best_1 // CCGV // XSell_v2_7_2 // Printable Catalog XSS Flaw Fixed // all_specials_slideshow // Birthdays_v1.4 // Search_price_range_pulldown_menu_1.1 // contrib-categories // Reviews_in_Product_Display_v2.3 // Easy Graphical Borders // Simple Multiple Images (Unlimited) with Fancy Popups V1.3.5 // Guestbook V3.0 // Blacklist_IP_v.3 // Quicker Product Edit v2.1 // Chronopost_2010 // Easy Center // Size Shop with Layers // Safari-Chrome_fix // Protection to Configuration v1.3a // Page_Cache_v1.6... Thanks to everyone!

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your quick reply...

I don't really understand your explanation and what to do! Sorry but I am working hard to understand codes and other things but it is too fast/far sometimes.

I have found a post about my problem (HERE) and it seems working normaly and at the same time I have the title of my product instead of the details, which is better for me.

Jack, can you please confirm if this code (from jailaxmi) is OK (fully working with your contribution?) cause it is very different?

// add the products name to the breadcrumb  trail
if (isset($_GET['products_id'])) {
$products_query = tep_db_query("select pd.products_name from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on p.products_id = pd.products_id where p.products_id = '" . (int)$_GET['products_id'] . "' and pd.language_id ='" . (int)$languages_id . "' LIMIT 1");
if (tep_db_num_rows($products_query)) {
$products = tep_db_fetch_array($products_query);
$breadcrumb->add($products['products_name'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&products_id=' . $_GET['products_id']));
}
}

Thanks

Edited by Eric B

Jack, can you please confirm if this code (from jailaxmi) is OK (fully working with your contribution?) cause it is very different?

That code uses the product name instead of the header tags field. It will work but you lose a little SEO benefit. Probably not too much though and site design should always come first so if that works for you, you should use it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

That code uses the product name instead of the header tags field. It will work but you lose a little SEO benefit. Probably not too much though and site design should always come first so if that works for you, you should use it.

OK Jack

Now it looks much better and the code source (via Firefox) and the TAGS are looking the same.

Thanks for your time

Hi, Jack

Please, pay attention on line 88 in catalog\includes\header_tags.php. You forgot to sanitize $languages_id in the query:

$the_product_info_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, pd.products_head_title_tag, pd.products_head_keywords_tag, pd.products_head_desc_tag, p.manufacturers_id from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on p.products_id = pd.products_id where p.products_id = '" . (int)$_GET['products_id'] . "' and pd.language_id ='" .  $languages_id . "'");

Also, may be the line in the same file

echo ' <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=' . CHARSET  . '" >'."\n";

should be a bit upper? Just before

echo ' <title>' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '</title>' . "\n";

. This may be critical for non-latin langauge shops, that uses other charset encoding to prevent XSS in <title> tag.

Thank you.

Please, pay attention on line 88 in catalog\includes\header_tags.php. You forgot to sanitize $languages_id in the query:

Thank you for pointing those out. I will make the changes in the next version.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons