• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

I have used this contribution on many sites, but this is the first time I have come accross this problem, I have even replicated the settings from another site where everything is working correctly

Does the problem go away when the included product_info file is used?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Does the problem go away when the included product_info file is used?

Jack

no i have tried that one as well (infact it is currently using the included product_info

I dont help with templates (thats what the seller is for)

th search function will often help, when it dont try this in google.

site:http://www.oscommerce.com/forums then your search word

no i have tried that one as well (infact it is currently using the included product_info

Then the problem is in the includes/header_tags.php file or the database. If you can view the correct title and tags in the admin section, then it is the file. Replace that with the one from the package and it should work.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Then the problem is in the includes/header_tags.php file or the database. If you can view the correct title and tags in the admin section, then it is the file. Replace that with the one from the package and it should work.

Jack

I have what the issue was Jack, and in case anyone else has the same issue it is to do with SEO URLS by FWR MEDIA, you need to ensure you change rewrite type in admin to "rewrite" from standard.

I dont help with templates (thats what the seller is for)

th search function will often help, when it dont try this in google.

site:http://www.oscommerce.com/forums then your search word

Hi, I urgently need help.

After backup, I started uploading Header Tags 3.1.5 files before I could finish uploading all the admin files I got this error message

Warning: require(includes/boxes/header_tags_seo.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /hermes/web06/b1973/hy.kkshopping/catalog/admin/includes/column_left.php on line 22

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/boxes/header_tags_seo.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php-5.2.2/lib/php') in /hermes/web06/b1973/hy.kkshopping/catalog/admin/includes/column_left.php on line 22

Now I can't even access my admin area and restore my backup.

What should I do?

Makas

Hi Jack,

I have installed HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.1.5, STSv4.5.8, and ULTIMATE_Seo_Urls_5.

The problem I am having appears to be with Header tags. From what I can understand on the other contritbution forums for the other two add-ons is that you have code that uses "hard-wired" links and since the links are changed with Ultimate SEO 5, they don't play well together.

How do you change your code from being "hard wired" urls to the oscommerce standards?

Thanks

No, there's nothing like that in Header Tags. But if you take the time to read back a page or two (always a good idea when trying to find an answer), you will find a solution.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

I have installed HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.1.5, STSv4.5.8, and ULTIMATE_Seo_Urls_5.

The problem I am having appears to be with Header tags. From what I can understand on the other contritbution forums for the other two add-ons is that you have code that uses "hard-wired" links and since the links are changed with Ultimate SEO 5, they don't play well together.

How do you change your code from being "hard wired" urls to the oscommerce standards?

Thanks

it sounds like your problem is with seo urls. im not 100% positive but i am sure its not header tags. if you want the standard osc links than you need osc without seo urls installed. you havent provided much information about your problem so it may be difficult to give you an accurate solution.

what kind of problems are you having with the links? are they emptying your shopping cart?

A week or so ago I posted a question to a problem that I was having. For some reason the code

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

was being generate twice in the header section. The problem with this issue is code density. For search engine optimization purposes, you need less code and more content.

It was suggested that the solution was addressed in an earlier post but after spending some time trying to read through the posts looking for the solution I didnt find what I was looking for. So I just decided to solve it myself.

Here is the solution in case anyone else has the same problem:

I could not figure out what was generating the second charset metatag but the solution I found works.

Go into file:

catalog ---> includes -----> header_tags.php

around lines 306 you should fine a line that looks like this:

echo ' <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=' . CHARSET  . '" />'."\n";

that line generates that segment of code in the header. If you delete it, it solves that problem.

Also, you may want to get rid of the segment of code that reads:

<!-- EOF: Header Tags SEO Generated Meta Tags -->

all this is is an editors note that is not needed and just adds to your code density which is bad for seo.

the code that generates that is located directly below that last segment in the same file on line 307. It looks like this:

echo '<!-- EOF: Header Tags SEO Generated Meta Tags -->' . "\n";

delete it and your problem is solved.

Hello!

I have installed this contribution before with no hard time.

But now I am using a template and almost every singel file doesn't look the same as in the original oscommerce.

So when I try to install this contrib manually its tricky because I can't find exactly where I should put the pieces of code

that are in "Install_catalog" and "Install_admin".

Ok, the admin is still the same, but the catalog is from a template.

Are there any chances that someone could help me install this great contrib?

I am begging on my knees. theres only 11 codes that I have to find out where to put. :blush:

Hi Jack:

WOuld you please help to advise how to add HTC for allproduct module?

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1501

Thanks!

Best Regards,

This is the support thread for Header Tags SEO, not the Header Tags Controller. You should ask in the support thread for questions relating to that contribution. But, no matter which one you use, I suggest using All Products SEO instead of All Products with Images (see My Addons).

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack,

I have enjoyed thoroughly Header Tags SEO on my first site (installs like a charm!).

Now my problem is on a second site, where the header.php was coded for style sheets and no longer contains the codes to be replaced. It looks like this:

if ($messageStack->size('header') > 0) {

echo $messageStack->output('header');

}

?>

<!-- start --><!-- spacers leave space between top and botton of different areas -->

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" align="center" class="main_t">

<tr>

<td style="height:140px;">

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">

<tr>

<td style="width:100%;"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('spacer.gif', '1', '0'); ?><br>

<a href="<?php echo tep_href_link('index.php')?>"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES.'logo.jpg');?></a>

</td>

<td>

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" style="width:334px;">

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('spacer.gif', '1', '36'); ?><br>

<!-- centers vertically -->

<tr>

<td width="10%" align="center"><?php require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'image_in_cart.php'); ?></td>

</td>

</tr>

</table></form>

</td>

<td> </td>

<?php

// added for loginbox

if ( (basename($PHP_SELF) != FILENAME_LOGIN) && (basename($PHP_SELF) != FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT) && !tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

?>

<!-- loginbox was aligned right//-->

<td valign="top" align="left"><?php echo tep_draw_form('login', tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGIN, 'action=process', 'SSL')); ?>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3">

<tr>

<td><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td align="center" class="smallTextb" colspan="3"><?php echo ENTRY_CLIENT; ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<tr>

<td align="left" class="smallText" colspan="3"><?php echo ENTRY_LOGIN_EMAIL_ADDRESS; ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('email_address'); ?></td>

<td></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td align="left" class="smallText" colspan="3"><?php echo ENTRY_LOGIN_PASSWORD; ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td><?php echo tep_draw_password_field('password'); ?></td>

<td><?php echo tep_image_submit('button_ok.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_OK); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td align="left" class="smallText" colspan="3"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PASSWORD_FORGOTTEN, '', 'SSL') . '">' . TEXT_LOGIN_PASSWORD_FORGOTTEN . '</a>'; ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<tr>

<td align="left" class="smallText" colspan="3"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CREATE_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') . '">' . TEXT_LOGIN_NEW_CUSTOMER . '</a>'; ?></td>

</tr>

</table></td>

</tr>

</table></form></td>

<?php

} // close !tep_session_is_registered

} else {

if (!tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

// If you want something to show in place of the loginbox when logge in or on login or create account page,

// place that code between the <td align="left"></td> below

?>

<td align="right"></td>

<?php

} //close !tep_session_is_registered

} // close if

// end loginbox

?>

<?php

// added for my account nav bar links for loginbox

if (tep_session_is_registered('customer_id')) {

?>

<!-- my_account_info alignemtn was right//-->

<td valign="top" align="left">

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td><table border="1px" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3">

<tr>

<td align="center" colspan="2"><?php echo ENTRY_LOGIN_MY_ACCOUNT_LINKS; ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class="smallText" align="center"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT, '', 'SSL') .'">' . HEADER_LOGIN_TITLE_MY_ACCOUNT . '</a>'; ?></td>

<td class="smallText" align="center"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT_EDIT, '', 'SSL') .'">' . HEADER_LOGIN_TITLE_EDIT_ACCOUNT . '</a>'; ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class="smallText" align="center"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT_HISTORY, '', 'SSL') .'">' . HEADER_LOGIN_TITLE_ACCOUNT_HISTORY . '</a>'; ?></td>

<td class="smallText" align="center"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ADDRESS_BOOK, '', 'SSL') .'">' . HEADER_LOGIN_TITLE_ADDRESS_BOOK . '</a>'; ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class="smallText" align="center"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ACCOUNT_NOTIFICATIONS, '', 'SSL') .'">' . HEADER_LOGIN_TITLE_PRODUCT_NOTIFICATIONS . '</a>'; ?></td>

<td class="smallText" align="center"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_LOGOFF, '', 'SSL') .'">' . HEADER_LOGIN_TITLE_LOGOFF . '</a>'; ?></td>

</tr>

</table></td>

<?php

} // close if

// end my account nav bar links for loginbox

?>

</tr>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

<td class="menu">

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><!-- class="menu" menu_bg2-->

<tr>

<td class="menu_bg2">

<td class="menu_bg3">

<?php

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_EXTRAHEADER);

?>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td style="padding:0 6px 0 5px; background:#FFFFFF">

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">

<tr>

<td>

<!-- end -->

<?php

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['error_message']) && tep_not_null($HTTP_GET_VARS['error_message'])) {

?>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">

<tr class="headerError">

<td class="headerError"><?php echo htmlspecialchars(stripslashes(urldecode($HTTP_GET_VARS['error_message']))); ?></td>

</tr>

</table>

<?php

}

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['info_message']) && tep_not_null($HTTP_GET_VARS['info_message'])) {

?>

<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">

<tr class="headerInfo">

<td class="headerInfo"><?php echo htmlspecialchars(stripslashes(urldecode($HTTP_GET_VARS['info_message']))); ?></td>

</tr>

</table>

<?php

}

?>

Could you clue me as how to do this? I feel really stupid at the moment!!!

Mandy

Hello,

Regarding the canonical url, i made some changes to the code I submitted to you a while back.

It is basically enough to add:

$canonical_url = tep_href_link(basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), tep_get_all_get_params());

just before

if (tep_not_null($canonical_url))  echo ' <link rel="canonical" href="'. $canonical_url.'">'. "\n";

All other initialisation of the variblae are unnecessary.

Also you may want to remove the closing / on each of the META links, since this is not W3C compliant.

Am having a small issue with the keywods. When adding new products through products/categories, I am doing the following steps.

1. Enter description into product description field.

2. enter my keyords in Product Keywords Tag field but leave title dand description empty.

3. update product.

4. After adding products, I go to header tags to fill tags.

5. Click yes and enter 130 for the character count and leave keyword and generic as is.

6. Click only box for fill only empty tags under products and update.

7. All is good and no errors.

8. But going back to categories/products to the just added products, the keywords were changed only to the product name.

So what was added when adding products, is now gone.

So is this normal or is there a small problem?

Thanks.

Bennett

Jack, I have upgraded from version 3.1.0 following each instruction in the subsequent updates through 3.1.5 including the STS instructions. I have not yet implemented STS (it is turned off), but I do have the Header Tag script in the Index.php and Product_Info.php:

<?php

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');

} else {

?>

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

<?php

}

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

?>

The issue I am having is that my Header Tags in my Index.php (including category list) is not showing up. All other page Header Tags, including product pages are fine.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Am having a small issue with the keywods. When adding new products through products/categories, I am doing the following steps.

1. Enter description into product description field.

2. enter my keyords in Product Keywords Tag field but leave title dand description empty.

3. update product.

4. After adding products, I go to header tags to fill tags.

5. Click yes and enter 130 for the character count and leave keyword and generic as is.

6. Click only box for fill only empty tags under products and update.

7. All is good and no errors.

8. But going back to categories/products to the just added products, the keywords were changed only to the product name.

So what was added when adding products, is now gone.

So is this normal or is there a small problem?

Thanks.

Bennett

When you add a product in admin, the header tags fields are automatically filled in. So when you run Fill Tags, the tags aren't empty. When you are adding a new product, just fill the fields in as you want them to be.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, I have upgraded from version 3.1.0 following each instruction in the subsequent updates through 3.1.5 including the STS instructions. I have not yet implemented STS (it is turned off), but I do have the Header Tag script in the Index.php and Product_Info.php:

<?php

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');

} else {

?>

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

<?php

}

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

?>

The issue I am having is that my Header Tags in my Index.php (including category list) is not showing up. All other page Header Tags, including product pages are fine.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Does the included index.php file work correctly? What are the results of the test routing?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Does the included index.php file work correctly? What are the results of the test routing?

Jack

The tag on the Index.php page is my domain name only. The Product List page is the domain name/product category. I don't know what you mean by the test routing. Please explain. All other pages have the Header Tags populated.

Thank you.

Edited by turquoi1

The tag on the Index.php page is my domain name only. The Product List page is the domain name/product category. I don't know what you mean by the test routing. Please explain. All other pages have the Header Tags populated.

Thank you.

The result of the test is as follows:

Test Results

Missing Database Error: explain

The Header Tags entry is missing from the configuration group table.

Database/File Mismatch Error: explain

The number of file entries in the database (53) does not match the number in the includes/header_tags.php file (21).

Files not in the includes/header_tags.php file:

.wysiwygPro_edit_index_html.php

.wysiwygPro_preview_index_html.php

19dec2008index.php

advanced_search.php

advanced_search_result.php

conditions.php

cookie_usage.php

download.php

fixperm.php

googlebase.php

guarantee.php

indian_jewelry.php

info_shopping_cart.php

jewelry_cleaning.php

jewelry_sizing.php

links_db_update.php

links_setup.php

links_submit_success.php

native_american_jewelry.php

popup_image.php

popup_links_help.php

privacy.php

products_new.php

redirect.php

shipping.php

shopping_cart.php

single_feed.php

tell_a_friend.php

turquoise_jewelry.php

wishlist.php

wishlist_help.php

wishlist_public.php

Thank you.

Does the index.php file that comes with the contribution work correctly when uploaded to your server?

The test results are saying there is a problem with the setup. You should replace the includes/header_tags.php file and, if possible, run the uninstall and install database files.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Does the index.php file that comes with the contribution work correctly when uploaded to your server?

The test results are saying there is a problem with the setup. You should replace the includes/header_tags.php file and, if possible, run the uninstall and install database files.

Jack

Jack, I entirely restored my database and started from scratch, but still with the same result. I no longer show any errors on the test, and I tried the default Index.php file. I am out of ideas. The tag on the Index page is still defaulting as my URL as well as the manufactureres pages and category pages.

I hope you can help? Take a look at www.doubledeedeals.com if you wish.

Jack, I entirely restored my database and started from scratch, but still with the same result. I no longer show any errors on the test, and I tried the default Index.php file. I am out of ideas. The tag on the Index page is still defaulting as my URL as well as the manufactureres pages and category pages.

I hope you can help? Take a look at www.doubledeedeals.com if you wish.

- go into page control and set the title and meta tag information for index.php. Uncheck all boxes and update for index.php.

- uncheck all boxes for the default boxes and update.

- replace the includes/header_tags.php file.

- run headertags_seo_uninstall.php and then headertags_seo_install.php.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

- go into page control and set the title and meta tag information for index.php. Uncheck all boxes and update for index.php.

- uncheck all boxes for the default boxes and update.

- replace the includes/header_tags.php file.

- run headertags_seo_uninstall.php and then headertags_seo_install.php.

Jack

Thanks for working with me Jack. I have folllowed your instructions and the index and category pages are now reading "default". Please direct me on what you recommend next.