• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

I also noticed that this time there are some aspects that don't work:

If in page control -> product_info.php I introduce custom title, description, keywords, when I press 'view result' they don't display:

14mcqqe.jpg

And with these settings in all the pages product_info (products, categories and manufacturers) I only get the default title. You can check the site at www.nevertebrate.ro.

P.S.: the index file settings from the page control panel works fine. It has something to do with the damn Ultimate SEO urls contribution. Thanks in advance for your help

Edited by crapu

Jack, you were right here. At that point, when I had the oscommerce freshly reinstalled, header tags SEO automatically installed, your contribution worked great. Therefore I continued editing my shop and installing contributions. Among these were the Ultimate SEO urls. Right after I installed that one, I have the problem again. The headertags it is screwed again.

Some versions of Ultimate SEO will erase the settings for Header Tags SEO. I uploaded a new version of Ultimate SEO yesterday that fixes that, among other things, so you should try that. Be sure to run the uninstall and install files for Header Tags too.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I also noticed that this time there are some aspects that don't work:

If in page control -> product_info.php I introduce custom title, description, keywords, when I press 'view result' they don't display:

As I understand your problem, you are saying one language works and one doesn't. But the settings for the two languages are clearly different in page control. So, I'll ask again - don't you see that?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Maybe I am just missing something.

Is there any way to have JUST the category title appear in the browser title? I am having the category title - index title show.

Basically like this:

index page title = 100% FREE Shipping on...

Category Selected = Software - 100% FREE Shipping on...

Is there a way to remove the index page title from showing when a category is selected?

Thanks,

Seth

Maybe I am just missing something.

Is there any way to have JUST the category title appear in the browser title? I am having the category title - index title show.

Basically like this:

index page title = 100% FREE Shipping on...

Category Selected = Software - 100% FREE Shipping on...

Is there a way to remove the index page title from showing when a category is selected?

Thanks,

Seth

Uncheck the root box for index.php in page control.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your support, I have been making steady progress in getting Header Tags SEO installed with my highly customized site. I have now gotten the admin panel working for HTS. Now I am working on getting the Category description to show up - but its not showing up. I think its because the relevant HES code to display the category description is missing. I have figured out where in index.php I need to place the code - but I dont know what piece of code will get the category description to show on a page - mind you I am not referring to the description tags. If its any help - you can look at the page at the following location - http://usgc.fewtureweb.com/index.php?cPath=3. Can you please advice what code from HES would make the description text appear?

Oh - I went in and configured the description text for that category.

TIA.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your support, I have been making steady progress in getting Header Tags SEO installed with my highly customized site. I have now gotten the admin panel working for HTS. Now I am working on getting the Category description to show up - but its not showing up. I think its because the relevant HES code to display the category description is missing. I have figured out where in index.php I need to place the code - but I dont know what piece of code will get the category description to show on a page - mind you I am not referring to the description tags. If its any help - you can look at the page at the following location - http://usgc.fewtureweb.com/index.php?cPath=3. Can you please advice what code from HES would make the description text appear?

Oh - I went in and configured the description text for that category.

TIA.

I don't know what HES is but if you look in the Install_Catalog.txt file, the changes mentioned for the index.php file needs to be made. The code dealing with social bookmarks won't affect the description option either way but the rest will.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

My bad - I meant HTS instead of HES :)

I took another look at the install_catalog.txt file and was able to get the description tags showing by making a minor adjustment to the table layout structure. Thanks for the suggestion Jack.

- Raheem

Hi Jack,

I found another error after adding header tags seo that I am not sure how to resolve/troubleshoot. Would appreciate your feedback. This time the problem happens in the backend admin panel. HTS works fine on the front end. I went to the backend to modify some product names to make them more SE friendly. When I go into the product page, make the changes, do a preview and then try to save the changes by clicking on UPDATE, I get the following error:

1054 - Unknown column 'products_name' in 'field list'

update products set products_name = '', products_description = '', products_url = '', products_head_title_tag = '', products_head_desc_tag = '', products_head_keywords_tag = '', products_image = 'Apple-M3756G-A.jpg', products_last_modified = now() where products_id = '1334'

[TEP STOP]

TIA

- Raheem

Hi Jack,

I found another error after adding header tags seo that I am not sure how to resolve/troubleshoot. Would appreciate your feedback. This time the problem happens in the backend admin panel. HTS works fine on the front end. I went to the backend to modify some product names to make them more SE friendly. When I go into the product page, make the changes, do a preview and then try to save the changes by clicking on UPDATE, I get the following error:

1054 - Unknown column 'products_name' in 'field list'

update products set products_name = '', products_description = '', products_url = '', products_head_title_tag = '', products_head_desc_tag = '', products_head_keywords_tag = '', products_image = 'Apple-M3756G-A.jpg', products_last_modified = now() where products_id = '1334'

[TEP STOP]

TIA

- Raheem

The products_name field is in the products decription table but the above code is updating the products table so it appears you've made a mistake in the installation or the code was broken beforehand. There is a completed categories file in the installation that can be used to isolate such problems.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The products_name field is in the products decription table but the above code is updating the products table so it appears you've made a mistake in the installation or the code was broken beforehand. There is a completed categories file in the installation that can be used to isolate such problems.

Jack

Great suggestion! I quickly tested with one of the built-in categories.php file from installation and it works fine. I am tempted to continue using this one, but perhaps its best if I rebuild the changes to the categories.php file based on the install instructions. Thanks again Jack!

- Raheem

Jack,

Do not know how long it has been this way. The mod is working for vast majority of it. When viewing source code for index and product_info pages, the meta tags looks fine.

Just lately I have added some text to Header Tags Category Description field in admin -> categories/products

Now viewing the source code, the meta tag for description contains what text I entered in categories/products plus the description for the index page. Not sure it should be like this. I do know search engines only look at the first 150 characters anyway.

So is this normal to display the description on category pages plus the index?

Thanks.

Bennett

That is an option is the package. You have to set up the tags to display the way you want.

Jack

I've might of figured that would be the case. I played around the config settings and also in page control. I can get catgerory page look good in source code but then index desc would be empty. And visa versa. I'm thinking it has to do with settings index.php under pade control. It it is any help, am attaching an image from admin side.

meta%20tags.jpg

So looking at the image, do I need to do something different? Have tried a half dozens other ways. Any sugguestion would very much appreciated. Thanks.

Bennett

Hi all,

I just installed oscommerce and the addons STS and Header Tags SEO. Everything works well, but I just need someone to explain a note that I did not quite understand. And since I did not want to risk screwing it up again (which I have so many times before.. ), I hope someone can explain it to me properly.

It is the note stated at point 4 in the install_catalog.txt file of Header Tags SEO (4) In product_info.php)

NOTE: In any page in which you make the change to the title for Header Tags,

you should also locate the line containing HEADING_TITLE, remove the

pageHeading class and add the h1 tags as above.

I understand I have to do something to all the pages I want Header Tags SEO to work for (which are basically all), but I don't quite understand what exactly. Can someone please explain bit by bit (so saying what I have to find and what to replace it with in which file)?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Regards,

Marleen

I've might of figured that would be the case. I played around the config settings and also in page control. I can get catgerory page look good in source code but then index desc would be empty. And visa versa. I'm thinking it has to do with settings index.php under pade control. It it is any help, am attaching an image from admin side.

So looking at the image, do I need to do something different? Have tried a half dozens other ways. Any sugguestion would very much appreciated. Thanks.

Bennett

Disable (clear) the default section and uncheck the default boxes on the page section.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi all,

I understand I have to do something to all the pages I want Header Tags SEO to work for (which are basically all), but I don't quite understand what exactly. Can someone please explain bit by bit (so saying what I have to find and what to replace it with in which file)?

The instructions state

FIND:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

REPLACE with the following then continue with Step 2:

<?php

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');

} else {

?>

<?php

}

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

?>

So to make the change to the conditions.php file, open the conditions.php file, find
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

and replace it with

<?php
} else {
?>
<?php
}
?>

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The instructions stateSo to make the change to the conditions.php file, open the conditions.php file, find

and replace it with

<?php
} else {
?>
<?php
}
?>

Jack

Sorry, it is me again. I just checked the catalog instructions again and it says that if you have STS installed, you should skip to step 1A, so I don't think I should do as described above by you. I am referring to the note that is in point 4. Here comes the whole step:

4) In product_info.php

FIND (around line 33)

<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0">

ADD UNDER IT:

<?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>

<a name="<?php echo $header_tags_array['title']; ?>"></a>

<?php /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>

=============================================

FIND (around line 102)

<td class="pageHeading" valign="top"><?php echo $products_name; ?></td>

<td class="pageHeading" align="right" valign="top"><?php echo $products_price; ?></td>

REPLACE with

<?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>

<td valign="top"><h1><?php echo $products_name; ?></h1></td>

<td align="right" valign="top"><h1><?php echo $products_price; ?></h1></td>

<?php /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>

NOTE: In any page in which you make the change to the title for Header Tags,

you should also locate the line containing HEADING_TITLE, remove the

pageHeading class and add the h1 tags as above.

I was also wondering where the above stated steps are necessary for. I tried to add those instructions to a couple of files, but ended up with no titles at all for the pages that I changed the lines (for example wishlist.php. contact_us.php). Then I removed the lines an placed the old line back, and Header tags is still working and I have my titles back on the pages.

Edited by Clau123

Hi Jack

I have the latest version of Header Tags installed (well i have uninstalled and reinstalled about 12 times now. I can not get it to work correctly on the product pages

http://r-g-t.co.uk/product_info.php/termin...hooks-size-p-29

I have read through this thread and I have done many things suggested but i still cant it to work

In admin if i go in to a product I can see the correct header tags in there, ie item name etc but I can not get this information to show on the product pages.

All it is doing is entering the default stuff rather than the keywords i set when i add a product, also the title bar and the <now Viewing bit at the bottom show default information.

Any suggestions?

I dont help with templates (thats what the seller is for)

th search function will often help, when it dont try this in google.

site:http://www.oscommerce.com/forums then your search word

Sorry, it is me again. I just checked the catalog instructions again and it says that if you have STS installed, you should skip to step 1A, so I don't think I should do as described above by you. I am referring to the note that is in point 4. Here comes the whole step:
I don't know what it is you are asking but following the instructions is usually the best procedure. If you do that and test the site, you can go back and fix any problems you may find then.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

I have the latest version of Header Tags installed (well i have uninstalled and reinstalled about 12 times now. I can not get it to work correctly on the product pages

http://r-g-t.co.uk/product_info.php/termin...hooks-size-p-29

I have read through this thread and I have done many things suggested but i still cant it to work

In admin if i go in to a product I can see the correct header tags in there, ie item name etc but I can not get this information to show on the product pages.

All it is doing is entering the default stuff rather than the keywords i set when i add a product, also the title bar and the <now Viewing bit at the bottom show default information.

Any suggestions?

Uncheck default boxes and previsouly mentioned (always help to read a few pages of the thread). Also run the test routine.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Uncheck default boxes and previsouly mentioned (always help to read a few pages of the thread). Also run the test routine.

Jack

Well, In page control the only boxes i have ticked for product_info is product and root.

When i click on fill tags I have tried the top 2 options description over ride and keywords, both on and off. and clicked on fill tags etc

The result for the test is

Title length warning: (Suggested range is 60 to 120 characters) explain

for English

The Title for RGT Terminator barbless Carp hooks, Size 8 may be too short. It is 42 characters long.

for English

The Title for RGT Terminator Barbless Carp hooks, Size 10 may be too short. It is 43 characters long.

The Title for RGT Terminator Carp Hooks, Barbless size 6 may be too short. It is 42 characters long.

I have used this contribution on many sites, but this is the first time I have come accross this problem, I have even replicated the settings from another site where everything is working correctly

I dont help with templates (thats what the seller is for)

th search function will often help, when it dont try this in google.

site:http://www.oscommerce.com/forums then your search word