• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Hi,

Looks like the first problem is solved with the https.

Another different question in header tags setup there is Keyword Highlighter what is the best setting for it, getting a strange thing.

None = all oke,

Highlight Full words only = is oke,

Highlight Individual words = (is better i think) but gives me on a few  products on the product page the following, Bulldozer</strong> 1:14</strong> 6CH</strong> 27</strong> / 40MHz RTR</p> 

Or only 1 letter is highlighted

Greetings, Anne

The setting depend on the site or, more specifically, how the items are named. The full option is the better if it will work because if the title is "my great product", the full option will highlight all instances of those three words together, which is how bolding is meant to be used for SEO. But some sites don't mention the full keyword on the page so using the full option may not show anything then. Partial highlighting can be good but in this hypothetical case, you might use the word new 20 times. That would make them all to be highlighted and would give a poor appearance to the page, not to mention abusing the bolding option and that can hurt with SEO. So, in short, there's no one correct or better setting.

I don't know why it is not catching all of the parts. Maybe something in the description, like already bolded words, is confusing the code. I did write the code to account for that but there may be possibilities I missed.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

Intresting reading. I tried a few things but will have to dig in further.

Other question, the Header Tags Silo, is there also a nice box for it, when activated and installed the box there are no lines around it like the other boxes on my site, see link for what i mean.

Or is breaking the idea of SEO again.

See www.fotomeinema.nl ---

Greetings, Anne

The infobox, regardless of which version you use in this package, will usually require some changes due to the sites template, except, maybe, for the latest version of oscommerce. You would have to compare one of your boxes with the one from the package that is closest to it and make whatever changes are needed for the appearance.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi, Jack

After a few days of trying and editing the infobox is good. You can see the result online at my site.

--

Looking further i noticed that there is missing a seo meta tag - og:title

isn't displayed in the meta part.

What do i need to edit for that.

Greetings, Anne

The og title is a description of the page like the meta title is. If the og title isn't present, the meta title will be used instead. To be able to edit the og title for the home page a new database field and a way to handle it would be needed. Since the og title will almost certainly be the same as the meta title, that seemed a waste of effort so it wasn't added. The og title is filled in on product pages.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 months later...

Hello,

how can I disable the keywords

meta name="Keywords"

in the script?

They are no longer useful, and just bloat the page and maybe have other negative side effects.
Google says, they just ignore them, but you never know if they do negative ranking when in use ... e.g. for spamming

So I would like to get rid of them.

Leaving them in won't cause any problems unless you stuff them with keywords that don't apply to the page. You are correct that google doesn't use them for ranking but incorrect about them no longer being useful. For example, there is an option that uses the keywords in the tag to highlight text on the page, which is a useful SEO technique.

But if you prefer to not make use of them, you would need to edit the includes/functions/header_tags.php file and remove some of the code, like this line

if (! tep_not_null($header_tags_array['keywords'])) $header_tags_array['keywords'] = $pageName . (tep_not_null($tmpTags['def_keywords']) ? HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_KEYWORD . ' ' . $tmpTags['def_keywords'] : '');

Be sure to test it thoroughly when you are done since that may break other things.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...

I have a quistion

i dont want to have the Default Titel and meta desription     on every catogorie 
how can i delete it so it not showing up on the page where i dont want it

test titel test test test - default titel after

test titel test test test    <- good 

thanks 

Edited by daanhessels

i am using the titel tag but it showing on the catogory page to 
this a bug or can i change this look the image's 

here i add the titel tag

image.png.7d2f0095ab8fb9c1ef0fba3c7b84a9cd.png

then it show up here on the catogry  page on the h1   and on the titel and i only want it to show on the titel so  i have not 65 words text for the catogory name

image.png.8f30b2aaab68f84e426a51972a86d8da.png

image.png.dad9ffdcf7d5af39120e7650899225a8.png

and here on the titel 

image.png.75123f201877355e7fb64dabe36f7d0c.png

Regarding your first post, that would only happen if you check the default title box on the index.php file in Page Control. Look at that page and uncheck all but the categories and manufacturers boxes and see if that helps.

Regarding your second post, I don't recommend using the overrides in Fill Tags until you have the basic options setup and understand how they interact. They can save you a lot of work but can cause problems if you are not familiar with them.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

21 minutes ago, Jack_mcs said:

Regarding your first post, that would only happen if you check the default title box on the index.php file in Page Control. Look at that page and uncheck all but the categories and manufacturers boxes and see if that helps.

Regarding your second post, I don't recommend using the overrides in Fill Tags until you have the basic options setup and understand how they interact. They can save you a lot of work but can cause problems if you are not familiar with them.

Thanks for you anwsers but is it possibel to change 

the titel only to show up on the titel and not the catogorie page to ?
and i am using V 3.3.2   so i need to upgrade to 3.3.5 soon to.

here you see the catogory titel just toners and the titel tag with 60 caracters 

image.png.5c04a52598248d75414872eb8664c04e.png

and here the titel how i want to have it to if it can be done on oscommerce

image.png.0c4683698fa8542ff65d26c7a5cf0bb1.png

Edited by daanhessels

I have just been investigating a problem on a site where Google Merchant Centre suddenly filled with microdata availability mismatch errors, with the feed showing products out of stock but the crawler finding conflicting information on the site pages. It finally came down to the opengraph availability info wrongly showing instock.

Changing includes/modules/header_tags_opengraph.php at line 80 from

$ogArray['availability'] = ($og['products_date_available'] > date('Y-m-d H:i:s') ? 'pending' :
                                            $og['products_quantity'] < 1 ? 'oos' :
                                            $og['products_quantity'] > 0 ? 'instock' : 'oos');

to

$ogArray['availability'] = ($og['products_date_available'] > date('Y-m-d H:i:s') ? 'pending' :
                                            ($og['products_quantity'] > 0 ? 'instock' : 'oos') );

fixed it, though I can't tell you when the previous logic no longer worked!

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Thanks for posting what you found. I can't see why that code would cause it to fail either. But the line you removed is not necessary in the first place so it van be removed no matter what, which I will do in the next version.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 months later...

HT SEO for frozen version?

I do no necessarily want to drop this addon as Google and other search engine progresses, whether tags carry some weight or nothing

Few good uses remains for this addon

The same with USU5 sitemap, as a user i don't want to see some product_info.php?products_id=3713. Users can go back easily by typing in name of product and chrome does the rest  - link discussion

A few more corrections will be handy, please help.

Notice errors in admin - HTC page control: 

Notice: Undefined index: products , Undefined index: cats, Undefined index: manu 
in includes\functions\header_tags.php
Notice: Undefined index: line \includes\functions\header_tags.php on line 237
Notice: Undefined index: pseudo \includes\functions\header_tags.php on line 330

Next: The FILENAME_ issues deprecated in includes/header_tags.php when updating admin/header_tags_seo.php , messes up FILENAME links

Next: header_tags_seo_silo.php = couple of Notice: Undefined

Next: changed:
admin/categories.php

$category_inputs_string = $category_description_string = $category_seo_description_string = $category_seo_keywords_string = $category_seo_title_string = '';

to

$category_inputs_string = $category_description_string = $category_seo_description_string = $category_seo_keywords_string = $category_seo_title_string = $category_htc_title_string = $category_htc_title_alt_string = $category_htc_title_url_string = $category_htc_desc_string = $category_htc_keywords_string = $category_htc_breadcrumb_string = $headertags_editor_str = $category_htc_description_string = '';

Catalog:
Catalog - product page errors:
Notice: Undefined offset: 3 in \includes\functions\header_tags.php on line 115
Notice: Undefined offset: 3 in \includes\functions\header_tags.php on line 116
Notice: Undefined offset: 3 in \includes\functions\header_tags.php on line 120
Notice: Undefined offset: 3 in \includes\functions\header_tags.php on line 124

Starting with 115:

$header_tags_array['title_alt'] = (tep_not_null($the_product_info['products_head_title_tag_alt'])) ? strip_tags($the_product_info['products_head_title_tag_alt']) : (HEADER_TAGS_USE_PAGE_NAME == 'false' ? strip_tags($the_product_info['products_head_title_tag']) : strip_tags($the_product_info['products_name']));
       $tmpTags['prod_desc'] = (tep_not_null($the_product_info['products_head_desc_tag'])) ? strip_tags($the_product_info['products_head_desc_tag']) : '';
       if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_ADDITIONAL_WORDS == 'true') {
         $add_kwrds = '';
         if (isset($the_product_info['products_head_keywords_tag'][0]) && tep_not_null($the_product_info['products_head_additional_words'])) {
             $add_kwrds = HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_KEYWORD . $the_product_info['products_head_additional_words'];

Homepage - index.php errors:
includes\header_tags.php
Notice: Undefined index: manufacturers_id

Notice: Undefined variable: args includes\functions\header_tags.php on line 167

function GetCanonicalURL() {
  global $request_type;
  $parts = explode("&", $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']);
  $cnt = count($parts);

if ($cnt == 1 && basename($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME']) === 'index.php') { //home page
     global $cPath,$category_depth;

if (tep_not_null($cPath) || (isset($_GET['manufacturers_id']) && $category_depth == 'top')) {
        $args = tep_get_all_get_params(array('action','currency', tep_session_name(),'cPath','manufacturers_id','sort','page', 'language'));
        return StripSID(tep_href_link('index.php', $args, $request_type, false) );
     }

$url = StripSID(tep_href_link('/', $args, $request_type, false) );
     if (substr($url, -2) == '//') {
         $url = substr($url, 0, -1);       //remove duplicate slashes
     }    
     return $url;    
  }  

$args = tep_get_all_get_params(array('action','currency', tep_session_name(),'cPath','manufacturers_id','sort','page', 'language'));
  return StripSID(tep_href_link(basename($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME']), $args, $request_type, false) );
}

Getting the Phoenix off the ground

All of the notices you see are due to your php version running in strict mode. That is not something I recommend for a live shop. You can try replacing the error_reporting call near the top of includes/application_top.php with the following but if it doesn't work, you would need to ask your host to disable in php if you can't do that in your control panel:

error_reporting(E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT & ~E_USER_DEPRECATED);

All instances of FILENAME_  were removed in version 3.3.5. If you are still seeing them, it is either because you are not using that version or that you didn't replace the includes/header_tags.php file.

$category_seo_title_string is not part of this addon and is removed in the included file. You don't have to remove it but it doesn't serve any purpose when this addon is installed.

The next version, which has not been released, uses modules and hooks for the BS shop. But I never upload new versions of most of my addons for at least six months from when they are ready since the changes are provided to my clients first. So, eventually, the next version will be released but the current one still works fine, just the installation isn't as easy as it could be.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly this has been pointed out already.   Installing using the Install_Admin.txt instructions for 2.3 and on, categories.php failed.  The reason I discovered is that a modification for that file labeled as "around line 771" instructs one to find a piece of code beginning <?php and replace it with code without such an opening php.    

I am hoping to install this in a an upgrade to oscommerce 2.3.4.1 which I hope should be functional.    Am I right to expect this to work OK?  

(And yes, I am aware of the community edition but for several reasons I want to do this upgrade first.) 

You are correct about the instructions. It should also include the <?php. Thank you for mentioning it. The addon works in any version of oscommerce but the instruction files, except for the BS ones,  may not be complete since I don't have the time to run through installations for older versions of oscommerce. However, the changed files that are included are accurate so you can use a program like WinMerge to look at the differences.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 5 months later...

Hi, Jack

At the moment i'm working through github for the upgrade to the latest version of oscommerce, and i come across a roadblock.

I have 3.3.5 installed of Header Tags SEO 

At 15 of march 2018 - https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/commits/master?before=db07a45b32ca59b6c3f5ebc63c16aae7c49391b7+175  there is a change to modular product pages. But also parts of the index is deleted and the product_info. Wich are also header tags parts. Is there a update for it or can i delete it without any problems.

Greetings, Anne

There is a new version but it has not been released (just due to time constraints). I'm not sure what you mean by "can i delete it". If you are referring to this addon, you can remove it but you will lose whatever titles and tags you have setup. If you mean the changes to those pages. you can skip those but will lose some of the options this addon adds to those pages.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons