• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

It depends upon what version of oscommerce you are using. The included instruction files explains what changes are needed.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@@zoulxp Yes, most likely that is the case. Try running the test in the Header Tags SEO section in admin. It might point to some problem. Also check the product pages to see if the title and tags show there. If they do, then the problem is almost definitely with the index.php file.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Nexxus No, there isn't any way to prevent the search engines from using a word on a page. But the only way the keywords would show in the search engine listings is if you setup the page to target those keywords, which you shouldn't do, or you didn't setup the page at all, in which case the search engines will make up their own.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, working on update 3.3.1, for the SQL update I get this error:

#1170 - BLOB/TEXT column 'page_keywords' used in key specification without a key length

for this action: ALTER TABLE headertags ADD INDEX idx_page_keywords ( page_keywords ) ;

data type was mediumtext

I changed that to: varchar(255)

I ran that code again and this time it was successful.

Just checking with you on you thoughts of using varchar(255).

Thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

this function is done by include/header_tags.php file, isn't it ? and the database table use is headertags_default ?

I'm sorry but I don't understand the question.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@altoid That should be fine. It just means the most text you can use for that field is 255 characters. If you think you will need more than that, then you can increase the size.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

"i have nothing in "from site" meta tag English From Site: Title -> Meta Description -> Meta Keywords -> From Settings: Title -> - Brown Chinese letter Incense Holder Meta Description -> - Brown Chinese letter Incense Holder

Meta Keywords -> , Brown Chinese letter Incense Holder"

the code in index file is :

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');

} else {

?>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

<?php

}

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

so the right file to fill meta in index is /includes/header_tags.php

This file do query to headertags_default table. is it right ?

I would like to resolve this problem.

Thank for your help ;-)

It queries the default table, among others. But if you are trying to use text from the default table, you have to have the default boxes checked for index.php in Page Control. It is not a good idea to do it that way. You should setup index.php in Page Control itself.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It sounds like there is something wrong with your installation and isn't something I can fix in a support thread. I suggest you start over and double check all of the changes.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

There's nothing in the files of this addon that would cause this. Any paths it uses are taken from the configure files so,it would seem, your configure files are not setup correctly.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Nexxus No, there isn't any way to prevent the search engines from using a word on a page. But the only way the keywords would show in the search engine listings is if you setup the page to target those keywords, which you shouldn't do, or you didn't setup the page at all, in which case the search engines will make up their own.

Thanks Jack, short a small cosmetic edit for your next version: for who is using an customized chkeditor for editing Product Descriptions, in hes meta tags descriptions it shows tags like "<br><h1>" etc... To prevent that, i have changed in header_tags.php following line with strip_tags and the tags in meta description are gone:

echo ' <meta name="Description" content="' . strip_tags($header_tags_array['desc']) . '" >' . "\n";

Edited by Nexxus

There's nothing in the files of this addon that would cause this. Any paths it uses are taken from the configure files so,it would seem, your configure files are not setup correctly.

i have put files in the same server and it's the same database. Only thing that change is the directory. The configure.php files are exactly the same except the directory "shop" added.

the shop directory site work with header tags and the root site don't with header tags...

it's really crazy....

Have searched and cant really find a definition that (I understand) says exactly what a Title Tag - URL is/does.

Have added some but see no use of it in the page source code or on the site page.

Will you describe it's function and proper use?

Thanks much

Ken

It's for changing the text in the url. It only works if your shops is using the latest version of Ultimate SEO v2.2d. If your current url for a product is http:// mydomainname.com/a-very-long-product-name-p-1.html, you could change it to http:// mydomainname.com/much-shorter-p-1.html.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons