• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Hello Jack,

Your Header Tags works wonders. Thank you so much for such greate contribution. Just one questions, in the back end admin, I use manufacturers as product filter, and It seems I should be able to assign unique meta info for each manufacturer, but it is not working. It does not show any meta info I set in the back end when I filter products by using manufacturer.

What have I done wrong?

Please kindly advise...

Hello Jack.

I've installed the latest version of Header Tags Seo, and everything works well, except when I try to access to keywords option in admin, then the browser returns:

1146 - Table 'oscom.table_headertags_search' doesn’t exist

And I don’t know why, because I’ve runned: http://mydomainname/headertags_seo_update.php

What’s more, I’ve checked my database and this table exists. Could you tell me what is the problem?

Thank you

That error is saying that it can find the definition for the tables name but it can't find the table. But if you have verified the table is actually there, then I can't think of anything it might be. You could try deleting that table from the database and then running the update again. I can't see how that would make a difference but it is the only thing I can think of to try. If that didn't work, it would require troubleshooting it to find the problem.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you very much for your answer Jack.

I think the update instructions don't say anything about adding this define: define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SEARCH', 'headertags_search'); .They only say "ADD AFTER: define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS', 'headertags_keywords');")in the database_tables.php, as I supected that the problem was there i checked this file in the folder "for new shops only" and I was able to observe that this define was missing in my file. I added it and problem solved.

Now my problem is what to do in Header Tags SEO Keywords i can't see de get position button and any columns.

Moreover, if "display tag cloud" is set to true i can't see any changes. The instructions are not very clear about this.

The update files rely on versions to be current to that update file. So, for example, if you have 3.2.2 installed and you try to update to 3.2.8, then you have to go through all of the update files between those two, not just the last one. If you look through those files, you will find the sql to add the search table. Or, you could just use the headertags_seo_unpdate.php file and it would do it for you. I assumed you had ran that but since you, apparently, haven't, I suggest you still do it and to use the reset option when you do.

The keywords track what is searched for on your site. Try searching for something and then looking in the keywords section in admin.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I am using the mini template system. Today, I installed Header Tags SEO V 3.2.9

I now have double enteries under admin -> configuration -> Header Tags Seo (I am attaching a screen shot)

What file controls this?

Thank you.

post-226515-0-12100500-1359079008_thumb.jpg

Edited by dhooper

Diana

I am using the mini template system. Today, I installed Header Tags SEO V 3.2.9

I now have double enteries under admin -> configuration -> Header Tags Seo (I am attaching a screen shot)

What file controls this?

Thank you.

That shows that the configuation options were added twice. I am not familiar with the mini-template system so I supposed it could have caused it but, more likely, the install script was ran twice somehow, though that should have been caught. If you haven't made a lot of changes to your titles and tags, just run the uninstall script and then the install again and it should fix that. Otherwise you will need to edit the database and remove the duplicates.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

eek! I dropped the configuration row in the database and my backup didn't replace it. Although it said header tags, it must have been connected to the mts theme because now it is gone. Grr. Not your worry and I'm certainly not blaming you - I just wanted to make a note of it in case some one else tried it. *smile*

After I dropped the database entry and saw that that was NOT what I wanted to do, I tried running the uninstall but there was an error. So, I ran the install again and that fixed the duplicate problem. *smile* Now, I just need to figure out how to get the rest of my store back :P

Diana

On Social bookmarks...

The social bookmarks that the store came with includes an email option (admin - modules - social bookmarks). Is there a way to add this to your list of bookmarks?

Diana

eek! I dropped the configuration row in the database and my backup didn't replace it. Although it said header tags, it must have been connected to the mts theme because now it is gone. Grr. Not your worry and I'm certainly not blaming you - I just wanted to make a note of it in case some one else tried it. *smile*

After I dropped the database entry and saw that that was NOT what I wanted to do, I tried running the uninstall but there was an error. So, I ran the install again and that fixed the duplicate problem. *smile* Now, I just need to figure out how to get the rest of my store back :P

I discovered that the reason my backup didn't replace the dropped row was because I didn't use the correct backup to restore with - I used the top one on the list, which is the oldest. Once I realized that, I restored the newest backup and everything was back in order - including the duplicate entries. *clap, clap, clap*

I then uninstalled header tags and re-installed. Now everything is perfect. :)

Whew! What a morning!

Diana

I'm glad you were able to get it going. :) For the bookmarks, I plan to make a number of changes to that code in a future version though I've no idea when that might be.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs Jack I love and appreciate the work you put into this addon and it works just great.

I have been thinking and would welcome your opinion. You have added code to the product listing module that adds the Product Listing Text, would it be in any way benifical to also have this code on say the new product for infobox, the special box and page, or would it just be a total waste of time and overkill on SEO.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

In general, any keyword-relevant text you can to the site will help with SEO. The only warning for that is that the extra text has to be balanced with what your customers see since they don't like a lot of text. Thanks for the ideas. I hadn't thought of them and will add that in a later version. Or, if you code it, please post it here so others don't have to wait.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack_mcs,

Many thanks for your wonderful contributions, I'm incredibly impressed with them. I hope that you can help with two problems that I am having after installing Header Tags SEO 3.2.9 (my shop is 2.2). Please note, that I am defintiely an amateur in PhP :) I can usually figure most things out by myself, but I just can't get past this one.

Firstly, I'm having trouble with something to do with the database when I edit / add a new product. I enter text into the 'Product Listing Text' and 'Product Page Sub Text' fields, but the text is not writing to the database (all the others fields do write to the database). If I go directly to the database and enter text into the relevant column (products_head_listing_text) in products_description, the text will appear on my website if I have 'enable Autofill set to 'true' in config.). However, if I enter text into the 'products_head_sub_text' column, it will not show on the website- could you suggest what I can do to make it appear? Also, if I have entered relevant listing text directly in the sql table, then later I edit the product through admin and then update it, it will strip any text in the listing columns out of the table. I just don't know what I have done wrong..

My other big problem, when I try to edit my shop's categories in the admin, the following error is returned:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function tep_get_categories_description_front() in /home/XXXXXXXXXXX/public_html/admin/categories.php on line 1277

And I can't actually edit anything (the editing boxes that are usually on the right just disappear. That particular line of code on line 1277 is identical to my old file.

Thanks Jack, I would really appreciate it if you could help me.

@Mention:

Any failure having to do with the categories page in admin is due to that page since all changes are contained in it. The exception is some addon that loads external files. But in the case of this addon, the first problem you are seeing is due to some mistake in that file with regards to the Header Tags changes.

For the second problem, the function tep_get_categories_description_front isn't part of Header Tags so it isn't related to the Header Tags code. However, since it is in the categories file, the problem is most likely that you overwrote that part of code when making the Header Tags changes.

There are two ways to go to fix both of the above:

- Try uploading the one that comes with the addon to make sure you can change those fields. If you can, then you can use it to compare against your file using a compare program, like WinMerge.

- Restore your original file and make the Header Tags changes to it one or two at a time, checking that it works after each change.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs

Jack, you little beauty!! I got the it all working- used WinMerge like you suggested. The problem was that there was actually was another contribution that needed to be coded along with your Header Tags SEO. WinMerge worked a charm showing me what was going on.

Thanks mate, really appreciate the help :)

Hello, Jack.

I have a question for you (or someone else). Instruction says that changes should be done also in index.php file. Is that correct file at all? In my index.php I have only 97 lines:(. But your last changes in this file are refering to line around 286?! I don't have so many lines in my index.php file at all. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

br

It means your index file has been altered. There are many possible ways that has been changed, usually due to a template being used, so there's no way to offer support for it here. The code you need to change is in the shop somewhere, or some replacement for it is. You will need to figure out how they changed it make the edits there. If you can't, or don't want to, do that yourself, you will need to hire someone to figure it out.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

I've updated the header tags to the latest version and am experiencing a problem with the pseudo pages function. I'm using the basic product articles contribution.

With the standard product_articles.php page, I can enter the header tag information and this displays as expected on the front end. When I add a Pseudo page, for example product_articles.php/article_id=54, I get two random things occurring.

1. The header tag information for the original page is no longer displayed on the front end, it simply displays Product Article - Default Title.

2. The header tag information for the Pseudo page also displays the same, Product Article - Default Title.

I've checked the database and both pages are listed, with the individual header tags in the relevant columns as expected. If I preview the header tag information in the admin section, again the correct header tag details display.

I've also checked the header_tags.php file for the code to include the Pseudo page and it displays as

$page = 'product_articles.php?article=5';

I get a whole load of other code too, so I guess this means that it is writing the the file as expected.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

I'm not familiar with the product articles contribution. Is the actual url like product_articles.php/article_id=54. If so, then the slash is probably causing the problem because that is a non-standard format. You can try editing the includes/header_tags.php file so that it uses the / instead of the -. I don't know if that will work though.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

No, it's not the same as article manager's url but that doesn't matter. The code should handle any code. I suggest you look in the includes/header_tags.php file to make sure the code for the page is added. It will be a larger block of code under the entry for that file name. If it's there, then the code in the product_articles.php needs to be looked at. If it isn't, then Header Tags isn't recognizing it for some reason.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons