• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

@@Jack_mcs hello jack!

Had a quesiton, I am getting errors on my webmaster tools for some meta descriptions, for each product, there are 3 meta tags almost: Here is an example.

unzipped_triangle.gifUrbanears Electronics - - UrbanEars Headphones On Sale At Discount Pricing! All Orders Over $100.00

url_icon.png/urbanears-medis-plus-tomato-headphones-p-333.html

url_icon.png/urbanears-medis-plus-tomato-headphones-p-333.html?osCsid=b9a1f81adb6ac5291dcbc17457f10f26

url_icon.png/urbanears-medis-plus-tomato-headphones-pr-333.html

one is the product, then one has an osCid, then the last is a review site....

how can I fix this error? what am I doing wrong?

one is the product, then one has an osCid, then the last is a review site....

how can I fix this error? what am I doing wrong? [/color]

The first is correct. The second one is because you don't have prevent spiders sessions set correctly in your sessions settings. The session ID should never show in the search engine listings. The third is of a diferent page entirely and doesn't have anything to do with the first one. If you don't want your reviews listed, you should add a no index meta tag for the review pages. The last two items are not Header Tags SEO related issues so if you have problems setting then up, please search the forums since they have been addressed many times before.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack sorry to be back so quick but just spotted another error.

When setting 'Display Tag Cloud' to true the following is showing on the page

1146 - Table 'f09jegp_osc1.TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS' doesn't exist

<br /><br />select keyword, counter from TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS where keyword is not null and keyword != '' and found = 1 and language_id = 1 ORDER BY counter DESC LIMIT 20

Is this a datebase fault or an error in some code.

Thanks again for your time.

John

I have just installed Header Tags Seo and it all looks to be working fine but I have noticed that the title for each page is showing at the very top of each page is this normal? or can you tell me what may be wrong.

It's not wrong. That's the page top option. You can disable it in the settings.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack sorry to be back so quick but just spotted another error.

When setting 'Display Tag Cloud' to true the following is showing on the page

1146 - Table 'f09jegp_osc1.TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS' doesn't exist

<br /><br />select keyword, counter from TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS where keyword is not null and keyword != '' and found = 1 and language_id = 1 ORDER BY counter DESC LIMIT 20

Is this a datebase fault or an error in some code.

John

I means you made a mistake in the installation. Check the changes to the database_tables.php file.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

Thanks for your reply but I still cannot find the fault, I have checked the database_tables.php in the catalog/includes folder and the defined items are there see below.

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS', 'headertags');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_CACHE', 'headertags_cache');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_DEFAULT', 'headertags_default');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SEARCH', 'headertags_search');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SILO', 'headertags_silo');

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

This is the admin/includes database_tables.php

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS', 'headertags');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_CACHE', 'headertags_cache');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_DEFAULT', 'headertags_default');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS', 'headertags_keywords');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SEARCH', 'headertags_search');

define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SILO', 'headertags_silo');

The error refers to TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS in the admin datebase_tables.php file could they be crossed over?

Can you please give any further advise.

Thanks

John

The error refers to TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS in the admin datebase_tables.php file could they be crossed over?

Can you please give any further advise.

Thanks

John

It's a mistake in the instructions as mentioned here recently. Add the following to the database_tables.php file
 define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS', 'headertags_keywords');

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

Sorry for misunderstanding you the first time added define('TABLE_HEADERTAGS_KEYWORDS', 'headertags_keywords'); to the catalog/includes database_tables.php and it seems to be fine.

Just need to get my head round the rest of it now.

By the way it looks an excellent contribution.

John

I am following the instructions to add/replace code in the Index.php file in the /CATALOG/ folder but my Index.php file only has 98 lines and does not have the following code when searching:

FIND (Around line 207)

$catname = HEADING_TITLE;
   if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {
  $image = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_image, manufacturers_name as catname from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " where manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");
  $image = tep_db_fetch_array($image);
  $catname = $image['catname'];
   } elseif ($current_category_id) {
  $image = tep_db_query("select c.categories_image, cd.categories_name as catname from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and c.categories_id = cd.categories_id and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
  $catname = $image['catname'];
   }
?>
<h1><?php echo $catname; ?></h1>
REPLACE WITH:
   if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {
  $image = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_image, manufacturers_name as catname from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " where manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");
  $db_query = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_htc_title_tag as htc_title, manufacturers_htc_description as htc_description from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS_INFO . " where languages_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' and manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");
   } elseif ($current_category_id) {
  $image = tep_db_query("select c.categories_image, cd.categories_name as catname from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and c.categories_id = cd.categories_id and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
  $db_query = tep_db_query("select categories_htc_title_tag as htc_title, categories_htc_description as htc_description from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
   }
   $htc = tep_db_fetch_array($db_query);
?>
<h1><?php echo $htc['htc_title']; ?></h1>
   <?php /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>
=============================================
FIND (Around line 251)
   include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_PRODUCT_LISTING);
?>
</div>
REPLACE with
   if (tep_not_null($htc['htc_description'])) {
	 echo '<h2 style="text-decoration:none;">'. $htc['htc_description'] . '</h2>';
 }

include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_PRODUCT_LISTING);
?>
</div>
  <!--- BEGIN Header Tags SEO Social Bookmarks -->
  <?php if (HEADER_TAGS_DISPLAY_SOCIAL_BOOKMARKS == 'true')
  include(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'header_tags_social_bookmarks.php');
  ?>
  <!--- END Header Tags SEO Social Bookmarks -->
=============================================
FIND (Around line 286)
<?php
   }
   include(DIR_WS_MODULES . FILENAME_NEW_PRODUCTS);
ADD BENEATH:
   // <!--- BEGIN Header Tags SEO Social Bookmarks -->
   if (HEADER_TAGS_DISPLAY_SOCIAL_BOOKMARKS == 'true') {
    include(DIR_WS_MODULES . 'header_tags_social_bookmarks.php');
   }
   // <!--- END Header Tags SEO Social Bookmarks -->

Can I just skip adding this or is it important?

Thanks in advance everyone.

@@Jack_mcs thank you jack, i did this for the osCid path: http://oscommerce-chemo.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-remove-session-id-appended-urls.html

for the reviews page, which php should i edit and should i just remove the meta ? thanks

I don't understand the question.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I am following the instructions to add/replace code in the Index.php file in the /CATALOG/ folder but my Index.php file only has 98 lines and does not have the following code when searching:

Can I just skip adding this or is it important?

Thanks in advance everyone.

You can leave out whatever code you want, in most cases. It just means you lose some feature of Header Tags. Template designers routinely delete sections of code like that. It isn't possible to support the changes here since there are too many possibilites.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You can leave out whatever code you want, in most cases. It just means you lose some feature of Header Tags. Template designers routinely delete sections of code like that. It isn't possible to support the changes here since there are too many possibilites.

Thank you Jack!

I uploaded and all seems okay just have to fill the header tags out now, but one problem I am having is with Main Category's. When I click on them its blank, but actual Products and Sub-Categories are fine.

If you can please take a look and see what I did wrong that would be great.

Click on Cooking and see that is only shows text, but nothing else.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Jan Zonjee

Thank you Jack!

I uploaded and all seems okay just have to fill the header tags out now, but one problem I am having is with Main Category's. When I click on them its blank, but actual Products and Sub-Categories are fine.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Figured it out, nevermind!

Jack, any harm in modifying header_tags.php such as:

echo ' <meta name="Description" content="' . $header_tags_array['desc'] . '" />' . "\n";

so that the W3C markup validator doesn't show an "error" by not having a closing tag?

I added an "/" to the code. It seems to work in the validator.

Thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Jack, any harm in modifying header_tags.php such as:

echo ' <meta name="Description" content="' . $header_tags_array['desc'] . '" />' . "\n";

so that the W3C markup validator doesn't show an "error" by not having a closing tag?

I added an "/" to the code. It seems to work in the validator.

Thanks

No, it won't make any difference.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

No, it won't make any difference.

OK, when this was drawn to my attention I did some looking around on other sites finding some with, some without the closing tag there.

I was using the W3C tool to help with another issue and found these, so I thought I'd chip away at the so when I run the tool they aren't there.

Thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Hi

Ive been using this module for a few years now and just upgraded to 2.3.1 and just put in this version of Seo Headers.

Bbut i have a problem, i have filled all my tags and my product page only shows the default title from page control instead of my product details, within my admin product page all meta tags are filled and this is the result of my test

Title and Meta Tag results for product_info.php

English

From Site:

Title ->

Meta Description ->

Meta Keywords ->

From Settings:

Title ->

Meta Description ->

Meta Keywords ->

Results of scan:

product_info.php is missing data. Fill Tags should be ran.

i have done a winmerge to compare files, ive even checked my sql, i cant see anything that is causing this problem (i do have other contributions but winmerge has sorted that out)

I have no errors to speak of to show you, this is way im stumped :-(

Any ideas would be great as i loved using this on my old site.

Thank you x

Edited by clippers

Hi

Ive been using this module for a few years now and just upgraded to 2.3.1 and just put in this version of Seo Headers.

Bbut i have a problem, i have filled all my tags and my product page only shows the default title from page control instead of my product details, within my admin product page all meta tags are filled and this is the result of my test

Check to make sure the product check box in Page Control for the product_info.php file is checked.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

Thank you for your reply :-D

I've tried that allready, i 've even tried different combinations (i.e Product check box on its own and manfactures on its own) and made sure all my settings where right including sort order, and i still get empty tags,

I can give you screen shots if that helps?

I've used this module before on my 2.2 site and sort of know what to expect, with the 2.3.1 site i put in the seo version of 3.2.6 and it didnt work so ive updated it to your latest version on 3.2.8 and it still doesnt work, (without errors showing)

Do you have a copy of the sql files with out using the install file, i did noticed that it produced multiple copies of the same tables in my sql and i was wondering if a fresh install of the sql could help as it doesnt seem to keep the tags i keep filling even thou my admin product page shows the tags filled.

What do you think ?

Edited by clippers

Do you have a copy of the sql files with out using the install file, i did noticed that it produced multiple copies of the same tables in my sql and i was wondering if a fresh install of the sql could help as it doesnt seem to keep the tags i keep filling even thou my admin product page shows the tags filled.

What do you think ?

Then that may be the problem. You shouldn't use the install file on a shop that already has the database changes. You need to use the update file with the reset_options parameter. If this is a new install and the database entries don't matter, then use the uninstall and then the install to fix the database. Otherwise, use the update file. I don't know if that will clear the duplciate entries but I think it will.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Im sorry i meant to say the update install file, thats the one i used.

I just wondering if you have them in a sql file so i could compare the tables, with the php files its a bit hard to see what should be there and what shouldnt,

Im sure its something simple that i have over looked, just confused that no errors are showing.