• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Hmm, that's strange. The sort and delete checking code uses the same type of code. Makes no sense to me why one would work and one wouldn't. I can't think of anything else to suggest.

OK, until this sorts out one way or the other, if I need to I think can go into the database and make any changes as called for.

Thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

If I am on the Fill Tags screen and I click the "check to fill title and tags with generic strings" this activates the check boxes below.

I now higlight a single category (In the top CATEGORIES section) and then under products I check the TITLE box.

I fill in a title and I am expecting that it will fill only the title in the category I select above, but it instead fills all categories. I am running version 3.2.6. Am I using it wrong or is this a known (and fixed?) issue?

If I am on the Fill Tags screen and I click the "check to fill title and tags with generic strings" this activates the check boxes below.

I now higlight a single category (In the top CATEGORIES section) and then under products I check the TITLE box.

I fill in a title and I am expecting that it will fill only the title in the category I select above, but it instead fills all categories. I am running version 3.2.6. Am I using it wrong or is this a known (and fixed?) issue?

I don't recall if that was a problem or not but I did make changes to the fill tags section. You can read the history file to see what changes were made. But for editing one category, it would be easier to just edit it via admin->Catalog, or so it seems to me.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I am trying to edit all the products in one category with a Generic keyword tag and then the item name. Like "Ground Coffee - ITEMNAME".

There are about 100 products per category. Wouldn't be too easy to do all by hand via admin -> catalog.

Hmm, that's strange. The sort and delete checking code uses the same type of code. Makes no sense to me why one would work and one wouldn't. I can't think of anything else to suggest.

jack, i was taking a peek at this to possibly see why its not working for me. in header_tags_seo_keywords.php I see <script src="includes/javascript/jquery.js"></script>

Looking, I do not seem have jquery.js anywhere.... is that the problem? if so where should I get the correct file? and I assume it goes in /admin/includes/javascript/

-Dave

@@Roaddoctor

I just disabled osc_sec and tried this out. it works now. if you have osc_sec, disable and see what you get.

Jack, if it is osc_sec, I can post a note to see if Taipo can look into this on that thread, but I don't know how to describe what action is taking place that osc_sec may be effecting.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

I am trying to edit all the products in one category with a Generic keyword tag and then the item name. Like "Ground Coffee - ITEMNAME".

There are about 100 products per category. Wouldn't be too easy to do all by hand via admin -> catalog.

There isn't an option for that. I do actually have it mostly coded for inclusion in the next version or two but it can't be done in the current version. The categories list only applies to the category title and tags below it. The product section only allows changing all products.

The best way to do this is to use the Easy Populate contribution. If you don't have it installed, you should do so since it will save you a tremendous amount of time if you do a lot of product management. There is an option in the settings that will allow the products title and tags of Header Tags SEO to be changed.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

jack, i was taking a peek at this to possibly see why its not working for me. in header_tags_seo_keywords.php I see <script src="includes/javascript/jquery.js"></script>

Looking, I do not seem have jquery.js anywhere.... is that the problem? if so where should I get the correct file? and I assume it goes in /admin/includes/javascript/

It's not required at this point. I had started to add jquery code for the deletions and search site options in te keywords section but I ran out of time. I should have probably deleted that line but it shouldn't make a difference. You could try deleting it though. Maybe in your setup it might matter.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, if it is osc_sec, I can post a note to see if Taipo can look into this on that thread, but I don't know how to describe what action is taking place that osc_sec may be effecting.

It is just a normal form update page. I haven't look much at the osc sec code so I don't know what might be causing it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It is just a normal form update page. I haven't look much at the osc sec code so I don't know what might be causing it.

OK, I'll post over in the osc_sec support area and see if Taipo has an idea. Thanks

altoid,

Thats confirmed. I rolled back to an earlier osc_sec version and all is well. Were you using version 5.0.1?

I was up to date on Taipos latest release, but I am not sure if the issue started on the latest or the earlier version. I just posted over in osc_sec to see if Taipo may have a solution.

Thanks

rolled back to oscsec ver 4.8 here and all is good for now.

Jack - what does "10 / 1010 / 10" mean on the keyword results?

No idea.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, I am getting the following error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CASE in /myadminarea/categories.php on line 1217

Here is the surrounding code for that line.

case 'edit_category':

That is the only code on line 1217 (should I post up the whole page of code?

The error pops up when I am in my admin area and I try to access my categories/products section

Edited by ggrant3

Jack, I am getting the following error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CASE in /myadminarea/categories.php on line 1217

It means you made a mistake in the changes of the categories.php file. Use the inlcuded one to compare and test with or remake the changes one at a time and watching for failures..

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Jack for all the work done on this contribution! I just installed Header Tags SEO, and all seems good so far, but I did notice that after installation, all the h1 and h2 tags in my store are now gray... was able to track that down, I believe, to the h1 and h2 styles in headertags_seo_styles.css, in which h1 and h2 are given a gray color #9a9a9a. I was curious as to why this is. I've done the Fill Tags, but have not completed the Page Control yet (working with a colleague on analyzing and determining how we want to approach our keywords). Is this somehow some interim indicator that "work is in progress" for full configuration of Header Tags SEO, did I fudge something in install, or is this just how you want it to work for a particular reason? I was just going to change those back to black, but wanted to just post this question first. Thanks!

Thanks Jack for all the work done on this contribution! I just installed Header Tags SEO, and all seems good so far, but I did notice that after installation, all the h1 and h2 tags in my store are now gray... was able to track that down, I believe, to the h1 and h2 styles in headertags_seo_styles.css, in which h1 and h2 are given a gray color #9a9a9a. I was curious as to why this is.

That's the standard color used in oscommerce. As with any contribution that has css code, you are free to change it as you see fit.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Social Networking links (images for)

I have run the Test feature on index.php and it does not report any errors. I am getting wide placeholders for the social networking links (see screen grab above) with little question marks instead of - i presume - much smaller images.

Please help.

I have run the Test feature on index.php and it does not report any errors. I am getting wide placeholders for the social networking links (see screen grab above) with little question marks instead of - i presume - much smaller images.

The url is invalid so I can't check it but if the images, any image, isn't showing up, right click on it to view its proerpties so you can determine where it should be located and then check that location to make sure it is there. Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Jack. The code was pointing to /images/socialbookmark/ whereas my folder was named /images/social_bookmarks

I renamed the folder and now all is well.

I look forwards to playing with this contribution - it looks great. Being a novice some of it i do not understand but then i have not yet read all of the documentation. I really appreciate your help and your work on the project(s).

Good evening. Been playing and tesing this contribution for a few days now, getting ready to customize keywords for each of my products. This is so cool - seems to have everything I was hoping it would have, and then some....But one thing I have now seen (there's always a but, right?) in my product pages is a double hyphen in between the last cetegory child name and the product name, for example: Indoor/Outdoor Wicker - Chairs - - Darcy Outdoor Wicker Chair. My guess is that this might be where "manufacturer" would go, and that this is some type of empty placehoder for it... but for my particular situation, manufacturers are not something we use, i.e. there are no manufactures defined or assigned to products in our store. When I've ran Fill Tags and Page Control, I've tried to make sure that manufacturers is skipped over. Any ideas on what I might be able to try to change this " - - " to simply " - "? Thanks for any assistance that might be offered.

Good evening. Been playing and tesing this contribution for a few days now, getting ready to customize keywords for each of my products. This is so cool - seems to have everything I was hoping it would have, and then some....But one thing I have now seen (there's always a but, right?) in my product pages is a double hyphen in between the last cetegory child name and the product name, for example: Indoor/Outdoor Wicker - Chairs - - Darcy Outdoor Wicker Chair. My guess is that this might be where "manufacturer" would go, and that this is some type of empty placehoder for it... but for my particular situation, manufacturers are not something we use, i.e. there are no manufactures defined or assigned to products in our store. When I've ran Fill Tags and Page Control, I've tried to make sure that manufacturers is skipped over. Any ideas on what I might be able to try to change this " - - " to simply " - "? Thanks for any assistance that might be offered.

It means you've enabled one of the checkboxes, like manufacturer, but haven't ran fill tags for it.

Please consider using a normal font size in future posts.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons