• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Thanks Jack,

Great update by the way !

I see in a previous post that the Tag Cloud is not for 2.3.1 and it gives me some errors on the module page - but still seems to work - I assume this will be looked at in a future release?

Many Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

i am trying to use Header tags SEO and looks a great bit of kit EXCEPT that it removes the already great title that osCommerce makes for me, which for me comes out as 'my product code+manufacturer+category' which looks great (as I made my data this way, v_products_name_1 from Easy Populate), and with the triple whammy of being in my URL as well as the main header on the page, gives me some good keyword density.

is there anyway that SEO header tags can do this for me, without me having to go into every single of my 1000+ products? or can i stop SEO header tags from changing the title and leaving it as osCommerce made it?

many thanks

Patch for file "catalog/include/header.php"

Hello, Jack!

I have installed your great Add-on for osc2.3.1 when validate at http://validator.w3.org/ , it needs to modify the following lines:

17 <div id="header" class="grid_24">

18 <?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

19 if (HEADER_TAGS_DISPLAY_PAGE_TOP_TITLE == 'true') {

20 ?>

21 <!--<div id="header" class="grid_24"> -->

22 <div style="text-align:center; color:#aaa; font-size:10px;"><?php echo $header_tags_array['title']; ?></div>

23 <!-- </div> -->

24 <?php

25 }

26 /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

27 ?>

28 <!-- <div id="header" class="grid_24"> -->

To get rid of duplicate id="header" error!

:'(

YaNotCook !!

Great update by the way !

I see in a previous post that the Tag Cloud is not for 2.3.1 and it gives me some errors on the module page - but still seems to work - I assume this will be looked at in a future release?

Thank you. :) The tag cloud works fine in 2.3, as far as I know. Have you tried it and, if so, what is the failure? Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If I want to share my home page on Facebook, http:// appears 2 times. (See picture)

This is only on the home page (index.php) so.

Does that happen you click on the FB social bookmark icon of this contribution? If so, my guess is that your configure file not setup correctly. See here to fix it.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

i am trying to use Header tags SEO and looks a great bit of kit EXCEPT that it removes the already great title that osCommerce makes for me, which for me comes out as 'my product code+manufacturer+category' which looks great (as I made my data this way, v_products_name_1 from Easy Populate), and with the triple whammy of being in my URL as well as the main header on the page, gives me some good keyword density.

is there anyway that SEO header tags can do this for me, without me having to go into every single of my 1000+ products? or can i stop SEO header tags from changing the title and leaving it as osCommerce made it?

many thanks

Edit the product_info.php settings in Page Control and check those checkboxes.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello, Jack!

I have installed your great Add-on for osc2.3.1 when validate at http://validator.w3.org/ , it needs to modify the following lines:

Thanks for posting that change. The instructions has the change that way (no div at all) but the file has it in. Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you. :) The tag cloud works fine in 2.3, as far as I know. Have you tried it and, if so, what is the failure?

Hi Jack, Yes the tag cloud works - But if I go to admin - modules - boxes and click on install modules, I get the following errors at the top of the page :

Warning: include(/home/user/public_html/catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/boxes/bm_headertags_seo_tagcloud.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/user/public_html/catalog/admin_Name/modules.php on line 129

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/user/public_html/catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/boxes/bm_headertags_seo_tagcloud.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/user/public_html/catalog/Admin_Name/modules.php on line 129

also get the following in the list of available modules:

MODULE_BOXES_HEADERTAGS_SEO_TAGCLOUD_TITLE

Many Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@Jack_mcs

Does that happen you click on the FB social bookmark icon of this contribution? If so, my guess is that your configure file not setup correctly. See here to fix it.

yes but only on the home site (zip-2.de/index.php)

It works on all other pages e.g. http://zip-2.de/product_info.php?products_id=63

my config file:

<?php

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://zip-2.de');

define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'http://zip-2.de');

define('ENABLE_SSL', false);

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');

define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/');

define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/');

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');

define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');

define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');

define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');

define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');

define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');

define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');

define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');

define('DIR_WS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', 'pub/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', '/var/www/vhosts/zip-2.de/httpdocs/');

define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'download/');

define('DIR_FS_DOWNLOAD_PUBLIC', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'pub/');

define('DB_SERVER', 'xxx');

define('DB_SERVER_USERNAME', 'xxx');

define('DB_SERVER_PASSWORD', 'xxx');

define('DB_DATABASE', 'xxx');

define('USE_PCONNECT', 'false');

define('STORE_SESSIONS', 'mysql');

?>

Hi Jack, Yes the tag cloud works - But if I go to admin - modules - boxes and click on install modules, I get the following errors at the top of the page :

also get the following in the list of available modules:

Many Thanks

The tag clound was initially intended as an infobox but I decided to move it to the footer. The unfinished inforbox file is still there, thus the error. Just delete the includes/modules/boxes/bm_headertags_seo_tagcloud.php file (and the one in the laguage directory) and the error should go away.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs

yes but only on the home site (zip-2.de/index.php)

It works on all other pages e.g. http://zip-2.de/product_info.php?products_id=63

Try this: In the includes/modules/header_tags_social_bookmarks.php file, find
$URL = urlencode("http://" . StripSID(tep_href_link(basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']))));

and replace with

$URL = urlencode(StripSID(tep_href_link(basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']))));

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello, Jack!

17 <div id="header" class="grid_24">

18 <?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

19 if (HEADER_TAGS_DISPLAY_PAGE_TOP_TITLE == 'true') {

20 ?>

21 <!--<div id="header" class="grid_24"> -->

22 <div style="text-align:center; color:#aaa; font-size:10px;"><?php echo $header_tags_array['title']; ?></div>

23 <!-- </div> -->

24 <?php

25 }

26 /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

27 ?>

28 <!-- <div id="header" class="grid_24"> -->

I just want to make sure I have this correct. In my 2.3.1 shop, my catalog/includes/header.php is missing the above script I highlighted in red and blue. Do I need to add both the blue and red text, or just the blue?

Thanks

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

I just want to make sure I have this correct. In my 2.3.1 shop, my catalog/includes/header.php is missing the above script I highlighted in red and blue. Do I need to add both the blue and red text, or just the blue?

Thanks

The blue code shouldn't be needed. A standard 2.3 shop only has on of the red pieces so unless your shop needs it, that top red code is probably not needed either, though that isn't part of Header Tags.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Ok, I'm not sure if I missed something important either in the instructions or in the forums here but I can only get Page Control to display the pages if I add

include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');

to my index, product_info, etc.....

Did I miss something along the way or??? I know the mod is installed in the catalog side correctly according to the install guide but this is the only way to make them show up in the admin and I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the instructions....

Matt

The blue code shouldn't be needed. A standard 2.3 shop only has on of the red pieces so unless your shop needs it, that top red code is probably not needed either, though that isn't part of Header Tags.

Looking in the catalog/includes/header.php file you provided to use on a new shop only

I see this:

<?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

if (HEADER_TAGS_DISPLAY_PAGE_TOP_TITLE == 'true') {

?>

<div id="header" class="grid_24">

<div style="text-align:center; color:#aaa; font-size:10px;"><?php echo $header_tags_array['title']; ?></div>

</div>

<?php

}

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

The same segment of code in my catalog/includes/header.php file is missing the script in blue, so I am presuming I need to add that.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Ok, I'm not sure if I missed something important either in the instructions or in the forums here but I can only get Page Control to display the pages if I add

Did I miss something along the way or??? I know the mod is installed in the catalog side correctly according to the install guide but this is the only way to make them show up in the admin and I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the instructions....

First, there is more to add to the code than that one line. If you are just adding the one line, it will work but is not technically good. You do need that code if you want to control the pages, that's why the instructions say to add it. That assumes you are using a non-2.3 shop though.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Looking in the catalog/includes/header.php file you provided to use on a new shop only

I see this:

<?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

if (HEADER_TAGS_DISPLAY_PAGE_TOP_TITLE == 'true') {

?>

<div id="header" class="grid_24">

<div style="text-align:center; color:#aaa; font-size:10px;"><?php echo $header_tags_array['title']; ?></div>

</div>

<?php

}

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

The same segment of code in my catalog/includes/header.php file is missing the script in blue, so I am presuming I need to add that.

No, you don't need the code in blue.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

First, there is more to add to the code than that one line. If you are just adding the one line, it will work but is not technically good. You do need that code if you want to control the pages, that's why the instructions say to add it. That assumes you are using a non-2.3 shop though.

Sorry Jack, I should have been more specific. I am running 2.3.1 and I followed those instructions for the install (adding the code to template_top etc...). BUT the mod will not show the pages in Page Control unless I also add:

That's what I don't understand. It's like it doesn't pick up the code from template_top even though it's in there. If I view the source for a page on the site I can see that the mod is working so the code is technically working in template_top but it still will not show up in Page Control without the addition I mentioned. :confused:

Matt

Sorry Jack, I should have been more specific. I am running 2.3.1 and I followed those instructions for the install (adding the code to template_top etc...). BUT the mod will not show the pages in Page Control unless I also add:

That's what I don't understand. It's like it doesn't pick up the code from template_top even though it's in there. If I view the source for a page on the site I can see that the mod is working so the code is technically working in template_top but it still will not show up in Page Control without the addition I mentioned. :confused:

Does the text routing return any problems? Are you using the default language? Did you try selecting the add pages in page control?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Does the text routing return any problems? Are you using the default language? Did you try selecting the add pages in page control?

-Not sure what text routing is...

-Using default language.

-Definitely tried selecting add pages in page control.

It is working now but only with the code addition in the pages I mentioned.

Matt

No, you don't need the code in blue.

OK, thanks Jack.

If you then wanted someone to find a certain ring when typing in microwave, you can assign microwave to that product in the keywords section (you have to enable the search keywords option for this to work) and on the next search of microwave, that product would be display.

Jack I am working on the concept you mentioned here and am finding that with search keywords enabled, configuration>header tags seo>search keywords = true

that on the shop side, when running a search i get this error on the search results page

1146 - Table 'mydatabase_name.TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SEARCH' doesn't exist
select count(distinct p.products_id) as total from products p left join manufacturers m using(manufacturers_id) left join specials s on p.products_id = s.products_id left join TABLE_HEADERTAGS_SEARCH hts on p.products_id = hts.product_id , products_description pd, categories c, products_to_categories p2c where p.products_status = '1' and p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '1' and p.products_id = p2c.products_id and p2c.categories_id = c.categories_id and ((pd.products_name like '%carrier%' or p.products_model like '%carrier%' or m.manufacturers_name like '%carrier%' or hts.keyword like '%' or pd.products_description like '%carrier%') )
[TEP STOP]

When keywords search is disabled, the error disappears.

-Not sure what text routing is...

-Using default language.

-Definitely tried selecting add pages in page control.

It is working now but only with the code addition in the pages I mentioned.

Routing should be routine.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons