• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Hi, I've installed Header Tags SEO v. 3.2.7 and all's fine except that when you look at the rel=canonical tag on the page source of all product pages, it contains the ampersand at the end of the url, and it shouldn't be there. For example:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.mywebsite.com/product_info.php?products_id=36&amp" >

Should be

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.mywebsite.com/product_info.php?products_id=36" >

How do I remove that?

Thank you.

Hi, I've installed Header Tags SEO v. 3.2.7 and all's fine except that when you look at the rel=canonical tag on the page source of all product pages, it contains the ampersand at the end of the url, and it shouldn't be there. For example:

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.mywebsite.com/product_info.php?products_id=36&amp" >

Should be

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.mywebsite.com/product_info.php?products_id=36" >

How do I remove that?

Thank you.

When does that get added to the url? What's after it in the real url? Are you using a url rewriter addon? If so, which one and have you tried turning it off to see if the problem goes away?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello!

When I upgraded to Header Tags SEO v. 3.2.7 product listening doesnt show correctly anymore; product name, price and tax - everything is mixed.

You can see it here for exapmle in category , here.

Please help, how can I fix that?

Then there is something wrong with the edits of the includes/modules/product_listing.php file. It is probably that the original code in that file isn't the same as in the contribution or maybe you just made a typo. You can try the included file to make sure the code works. If it does and you can't find the problem by comparing the files, you can leave that change off if you want. It just means that the listing text option won't work in your shop.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

For those of you who have both Header Tag Seo AND the Extra Product Fields contributions installed and who want to make use of the Keyword functions from both contributions:

In catalog/includes/header_tags.php

Around line 957 find:

echo ' <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=' . CHARSET  . '" >'."\n";

Directly above add:

// Begin EPF Keywords Support
$keywords = array();
foreach ($epf as $e) {
 $mt = ($e['uses_list'] && !$e['multi_select'] ? ($pname[$e['field']] == 0) : !tep_not_null($pname[$e['field']]));
 if ($e['keyword'] && !$mt) {
if ($e['uses_list']) {
  if ($e['multi_select']) {
	$values = explode('|', trim($pname[$e['field']], '|'));
	foreach ($values as $val) {
	  $keywords[] = tep_output_string(tep_get_extra_field_list_value($val));
	}
  } else {
	$keywords[] = tep_output_string(str_replace(' | ', ', ', tep_get_extra_field_list_value($pname[$e['field']], $e['show_chain'])));
  }
} else {
   $keywords[] = tep_output_string($pname[$e['field']]);
}
 }
}
if (!empty($keywords))
// End EPF Keywords Support

Around line 960 find:

echo ' <meta name="Keywords" content="' . $header_tags_array['keywords'] . '" >' . "\n";

Change to:

echo ' <meta name="Keywords" content="' . implode(', ', $keywords) . ',' .$header_tags_array['keywords'] . '" >' . "\n";

Laslty, you'll want to MAKE SURE in catalog/product_info.php your meta header tags are those from Header Tags SEO and NOT those from EPF... They should look like this (or similar):

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html <?php echo HTML_PARAMS; ?>>
<head>
<?php
/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/
if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {
 require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');
} else {
?>
 <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">
 <title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<?php
}
/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/
?>

There you go, now you will have keywords from both contributions included in your meta! Just be sure to set your EPF values to something meaningful or else you will just shoot yourself in the SEO foot.

Cheers.

Edited by itscoldoutside

I have install the .2.7 module in a 2.3.1 shop. I also have install many other contributions and i am facing this problem. Everything in my shop are ok and the titles displaying ok. In the admin panel everything ok.

But when i am going to the admin panelin the section of boxes to install a contribution from Header tags i have two errors.

First one at the top of the admin page i am having this message

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/iliofosg/public_html/eshop/includes/languages/greek/modules/boxes/bm_headertags_seo_tagcloud.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php52/pear') in /home/iliofosg/public_html/eshop/admin/modules.php on line 129

and the module of bm_headertags_seo_tagcloud.php it is like it misses the language file and when i am installing it i am getting the foolowing error

Warning: include(includes/languages/greek/modules/boxes/bm_headertags_seo_tagcloud.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/iliofosg/public_html/eshop/includes/classes/osc_template.php on line 86

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'includes/languages/greek/modules/boxes/bm_headertags_seo_tagcloud.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php52/pear') in /home/iliofosg/public_html/eshop/includes/classes/osc_template.php on line 86

Reviews - Default title

Also when i am installin the module Articles then in the index page i am having the following error

0 -

SELECT COUNT(*) as total from articles a, articles_to_topics a2t where (a.articles_date_available IS NULL or to_days(a.articles_date_available) <= to_days(now())) and a.articles_id = a2t.articles_id and a.articles_status = '1' and a2t.topics_id = '0'

[TEP STOP]

2013 - Lost connection to MySQL server during query

select count(*) as total from sessions where sesskey = '3p2otrt81t1ql817qov82e6rs2'

[TEP STOP]

Any ideas?

Edited by apolyshow

One amateur made the Arc, 5.000 pro made the Titanic...

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/iliofosg/public_html/eshop/includes/languages/greek/modules/boxes/bm_headertags_seo_tagcloud.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php52/pear') in /home/iliofosg/public_html/eshop/admin/modules.php on line 129

Also when i am installin the module Articles then in the index page i am having the following error

For the first error, delete the includes/modules/boxes/bm_headertags_seo_tagcloud.php file.

For the second error, this addon doesn't have such a module so this problem doesn't have anything to do with this thread.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

When does that get added to the url? What's after it in the real url? Are you using a url rewriter addon? If so, which one and have you tried turning it off to see if the problem goes away?

I suppose it gets added to the url when you call up the page in your browser. That ampersand is part of the session ID number that does not get stripped away completely when Header Tags SEO creates the rel=canonical tag. No, I am not using any url rewriter and no other osCommerce contribution except Header Tags SEO. The osCommerce version is 2.3.1. Would it help if I gave you the url of the website I'm talking about?

.......any added link to a keyword helps with SEO.If the link went to the advanced search page, it would work better since the code would return all results. But the search engines would list that page versus the actual product or category page, which would be less SEO-effective for thost pages. My thought was to add an option to where the keyword could be assigned to a specific product, which it can do now in admin. But it is limited. I would like something like a popup that shows all of the available choices so the shop owner could more easily decide on which to use. I haven't thought it through enough to decide which is the best way. I was hoping for feedback on it to help decide that but no one seems to have any thoughts on it.

My take on this would be that it would be better when a live customer would click on a tag cloud link it would take the customer to the advanced search page and give all results for that keyword. This would open up more selection opportunities to the customer right off the bat, giving them a chance to look at all products related to that keyword. Rather than restrict them to just one product. Let's say the customer clicks on word microwave in an appliance type shop. Now they see all microwaves, and one of those might be the brand/model the customer was looking for. A singe product result may not match, which would lead to the customer having to click around the site more, or do their own search for the make/model they wanted. I realize looking around an well built osC site isn't that hard though.

Wouldn't another valid point for having the advanced search page be, that a search engine, once on the advanced search page, now has links to crawl presented to it? So if the engine keeps looking, it's going to find a particular product right there anyway.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

I suppose it gets added to the url when you call up the page in your browser. That ampersand is part of the session ID number that does not get stripped away completely when Header Tags SEO creates the rel=canonical tag. No, I am not using any url rewriter and no other osCommerce contribution except Header Tags SEO. The osCommerce version is 2.3.1. Would it help if I gave you the url of the website I'm talking about?

Yes, please do that. I just tested it here to verify it was working correctly and it is. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem but I need to be able to see it in order to do anything about it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

My take on this would be that it would be better when a live customer would click on a tag cloud link it would take the customer to the advanced search page and give all results for that keyword. This would open up more selection opportunities to the customer right off the bat, giving them a chance to look at all products related to that keyword. Rather than restrict them to just one product. Let's say the customer clicks on word microwave in an appliance type shop. Now they see all microwaves, and one of those might be the brand/model the customer was looking for. A singe product result may not match, which would lead to the customer having to click around the site more, or do their own search for the make/model they wanted. I realize looking around an well built osC site isn't that hard though.

Wouldn't another valid point for having the advanced search page be, that a search engine, once on the advanced search page, now has links to crawl presented to it? So if the engine keeps looking, it's going to find a particular product right there anyway.

A tag cloud is meant for the search engines, not customers. They can use it, of course, but it's main goal is to provide better ranking for popular items. What you describe is handled better by the All Products SEO contribution. The search engines give credit to the page a link takes them to. So having the search result page show for each link in the tag clound would be more beneficial to the advanced search page, which changes with whatever is searched. The links on that page would then be followed and given credit. Links on the home page are generally given more credit because any link on the home page is considered more important than when found on another page. Maybe I'll add an option to have the links function one way or the other.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, please do that. I just tested it here to verify it was working correctly and it is. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem but I need to be able to see it in order to do anything about it.

The shop is at http://cafehistoria.us/index.php

Please look at any of the product pages, for example this one: http://www.cafehistoria.us/product_info.php?products_id=39

and in the code rendered by the browser you'll see

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.cafehistoria.us/product_info.php?products_id=39&amp" >

The shop is at http://cafehistoria.us/index.php

Please look at any of the product pages, for example this one: http://www.cafehistoria.us/product_info.php?products_id=39

and in the code rendered by the browser you'll see

<link rel="canonical" href="http://www.cafehistoria.us/product_info.php?products_id=39&amp" >

I don't know if it will fix this problem or not but the first thing you need to do is fix your configure file. The session ID shouldn't be displayed on every page so there is something wrong with it and obvious problems should always be fixed first.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I don't know if it will fix this problem or not but the first thing you need to do is fix your configure file. The session ID shouldn't be displayed on every page so there is something wrong with it and obvious problems should always be fixed first.

Thank you, Jack. In the configure.php file, the cookie domain was set to localhost, I don't know why. So I fixed that according to the forum you suggested and then set "Force Cookie Usage" to True. Now it's working.

A tag cloud is meant for the search engines, not customers. They can use it, of course, but it's main goal is to provide better ranking for popular items. What you describe is handled better by the All Products SEO contribution. The search engines give credit to the page a link takes them to. So having the search result page show for each link in the tag clound would be more beneficial to the advanced search page, which changes with whatever is searched. The links on that page would then be followed and given credit. Links on the home page are generally given more credit because any link on the home page is considered more important than when found on another page. Maybe I'll add an option to have the links function one way or the other.

Didn't know the technical concepts on the tag cloud. I've seen the tag clouds elsewhere, but your explanation puts new light on the concept. I am not versed much on the technical workings of SEO, but do understand the importance. Beyond the SEO aspect I like how the tag cloud box gives the page a nice appearance especially with the title bar. :), but as well is functional.

I've been watching the sites I installed the latest update on and after a couple initial fixups, so far so good. The page source is showing nice, clean meta data, and as well for canonicals. Store front looks good. I will watch for the next week or so. I've found that after a significant install any thing I might have screwed up makes it self known.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Hi Jack.

I have HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.2.6 on OSC 2.31 and I want to upgrade to HeaderTags_SEO to V_3.2.7. What would be the better way to do that?, Have you some written instructions for that?

Thanks a lot for your continuous contributions and tireless support!!!!.

Edo.

i have followed all the instructions but still when i hit www.mywebsite.com/admin i got these errors and i am not getting admin page ,

Warning: require(includes/functions/header_tags_general.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /path_to/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 1499

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/functions/header_tags_general.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5_3/lib/php') in /path_to/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 1499

would you be able to help me with that please :)

thanks

Edited by Jan Zonjee

i have followed all the instructions but still when i hit www.mywebsite.com/admin i got these errors and i am not getting admin page ,

Warning: require(includes/functions/header_tags_general.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /path_to/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 1499

The error means you didn't upload all of the header tags files.

Edited by Jan Zonjee
removed path info

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for this great contribution! I just have one issue I'm trying to get an answer for. I recently changed the title and meta tag info on my index page. I, unknowingly, also changed that info on my "categories" and "manufacturers" pages. It's my preferences to just use the original method, in the admin under Catalog/Manufacturers to change these pages. Is there a setting I could click on to release the control that Header Tags SEO has on those pages?

Thanks so much for and and all info!

Jason

Thanks for this great contribution! I just have one issue I'm trying to get an answer for. I recently changed the title and meta tag info on my index page. I, unknowingly, also changed that info on my "categories" and "manufacturers" pages. It's my preferences to just use the original method, in the admin under Catalog/Manufacturers to change these pages. Is there a setting I could click on to release the control that Header Tags SEO has on those pages?

Thanks so much for and and all info!

Jason

I don't understand the question. What is the "original method?" You can uncheck the categories option on the index page in Page Control. That may do what you want.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Sorry Jack_mcs. When I said "original method" i just meant the method I used before I installed this contribution. When you create a new manufacturer in admin, you have the ability to add the title and meta tag info then.

Also, when I go to the index page in Page Control, the only two boxes that are checked is "product" and "root".

Thanks Jack_mcs!