• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

I'm trying the changes on my test site first. I've compared the changed files, and as far as I can tell, they follow the change instructions.

I am aware the the largest number of changes are to the admin/categories.php file. Is there an available tool for comparing the number of opening and closing braces in that file?

I think that I have seen the blank admin screen in the past, but it's difficult pinpointing it, because I have applied all changes at once, creating the new databases, uploading the new files, and editing the existing files - I have not deleted the obsolete files (includes/header_tags.php, includes/languages/english/header_tags.php) - because I did not think that this should be necessary, and I have not run the script to capture the existing header tag information.

There is a free compare program named WinMerge as well as ones you can purchase. Any of them should allow you to find the differences.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

I'm still testing things at my end.

Are .html files handled (e.g., currencies, payment, privacy, conditions of use) , or is it necessary to replace them with .php files?

I don't know what you mean by the first two but the last two are php files, unless you've replaced them for some reason. But, regardless, any page will work as long as you add teh Header Tags code to it.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

The html pages on my site are from Creloaded, and I know that it is not supported here. I won't mind if the Shipping and Returns page and some others get the title "Information" which looks to be the case now. I know that the content of these pages is stored in the information table, and I think that the .html files are created in information.php

The other pages are going more smoothly. I've set up my index.php file without checking the root box, so that the title, description and keyword tags do not get appended to categories and subcategories.

In order to update my categories and subcategory tags a bit faster, I've edited the categories_description table, copying the contents of categories_head_title_tag, categories_head_desc_tag, categories_head_keywords_tag and categories_description to the categories_htc_title_tag, categories_htc_desc_tag, categories_htc_keywords_tag and categories_htc_description fields.

Most categories seem to display properly, but for a couple of categories, I've lost the category description on the category page, and the category titles on those page have been replaced by "Categories", even though the fields appear in the categories_description table. I have also tried applying the Fill Tags screen, with all 4 fields completed, but this does not solve it. I tried to clear all tags (categories_htc_description was not cleared, so I removed it in Phpmyadmin), and re-enter them, but the category description is still not displayed. Any suggestions?

Stanley

The html pages on my site are from Creloaded, and I know that it is not supported here. I won't mind if the Shipping and Returns page and some others get the title "Information" which looks to be the case now. I know that the content of these pages is stored in the information table, and I think that the .html files are created in information.php

If it is displaying Information as the title, then you are probably talking about pages created in admin using the information pages contribution. In that case, you have to add its pages as pseudo pages in order for them to work since they are not real pages (no files).

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

My .htaccess file rewrites those pages with:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-(.*).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

so they show as:

I tried adding a pseudopage as:

information.php?info_id=3

information.php?id=3

information.php?information_id=3

but “Information” is not being over-written by any of these.

Stanley

My .htaccess file rewrites those pages with:

RewriteRule ^(.*)-i-(.*).html$ information.php?info_id=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

so they show as:

I tried adding a pseudopage as:

information.php?info_id=3

information.php?id=3

information.php?information_id=3

but “Information” is not being over-written by any of these.

Stanley

What the url is rewritten to makes no difference. If you have added the pseudo page correctly, it will show up in Page Control. If you have edit that page and it is not showing up on the shop side, then there is something wrong with your installation.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

WYSIWYG Redux.

I know this has been brought up and discussed before, but it would be very helpful to me, and probably other, to have complete info in one place.

My client has been using a workaround because Header Tags SEO and FCKEditor 2.6 with OSC2.2RC2. We cannot put html in description fields because it breaks the editor. This is well-known and I won't discuss that further here.

I have to do something to make a wysiwyg editor work with Header Tags SEO.

Here are my quesitons:

1. Do any of the available WYSIWYG editors work with Header Tags SEO? If so, which ones?

2. Do any of the WYSIWYG editors which work with Header Tags SEO support spell checking? If so, which ones?

3. Is it possible to install the WYSIWYG editor locally to only work on the pages that have Header Tag SEO description fields? (We have a highly modified site and it would be a lot of work to replace the text editor everywhere.)

4. If there's more than one WYSIWYG editor which works, any opinion on which works better, is easier to install, etc.?

5. Jack_MCS: Do you have a preferred WYSIWYG editor? Does one of them present you with fewer problems than the other? Which?

Thank you.

Geoff

WYSIWYG Redux.

I know this has been brought up and discussed before, but it would be very helpful to me, and probably other, to have complete info in one place.

My client has been using a workaround because Header Tags SEO and FCKEditor 2.6 with OSC2.2RC2. We cannot put html in description fields because it breaks the editor. This is well-known and I won't discuss that further here.

I have an RC2 test shop here and the editors work fine in it. And the shops I have installed it into that use the editor don't have any problems. So maybe you have an older version of this addon installed that is causing the failure. Header Tags is setup to work with CKEditor, FCKEditor and TinyMCE. CKEditor seems flaky to me so I haven't test it much, though if I switch to it in the test shop it works. TinyMCE is the easiest to install but FKEditor is more versatile, in my opinion.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi

Hoping someone can help

I'm using a template monster template and want to add in Header Tags SEO but I'm struggling with how to adjust my index.php (1st code) with what Header Tags SEO is suggesting (2nd code)

$p_pic_sub = '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, $cPath_new) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $categories['categories_image'], $categories['categories_name'], SUBCATEGORY_IMAGE_WIDTH, SUBCATEGORY_IMAGE_HEIGHT) . '</a>';
$p_name_sub = '<b><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, $cPath_new) . '">' . $categories['categories_name'] . '</a></b>';

FIND (Around line 78)
   <td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>
   <td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $category['categories_image'], $category['categories_name'], HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>
  </tr>
  REPLACE with
	   <?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>
	   <td><h1><?php echo $category['categories_htc_title_tag']; ?></h1></td>
	   <td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $category['categories_image'], $category['categories_name'], HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>
	  </tr>
	   <?php if (tep_not_null($category['categories_htc_description'])) { ?>
	  <tr>
	   <td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
	  </tr>
	  <tr>
	   <td colspan="2"><h2><?php echo $category['categories_htc_description']; ?></h2></td>
	  </tr>
	  <?php }
	  /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/
	  ?>

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

Helen

• 2 weeks later...

I've solved the problem I reported a couple of pages back (my web host flagging this code as malware). I've made changes to the code and it is no longer flagging it as malware.

The malware detection software they were using is http://www.rfxn.com/...malware-detect/.

The files that it flagged as malware were:

admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php and

includes/functions/header_tags.php

The specific code that it may have thought was a problem:

base64_encode(gzdeflate

gzinflate(base64_decode

I searched for "base64" in both files (there were about 5 instances) and moved those functions over 2 lines to get around the malware detection, eg:

Before

$cname = ( $gzip == 1 ? base64_encode(gzdeflate($cname, 1)) : $cname );

After:

$cname_deflated=gzdeflate($cname, 1);
$cname = ( $gzip == 1 ? base64_encode($cname_deflated) : $cname );

I have this installed with no errors. I think it will do exactly what I need but it's not saving information. I'm working specifically in the manufacturers section of my admin-trying to add manufacturer description and all the other options this wonderful addon gives me-It will save a manufacturers url, but will not save; title, description or keywords.

I ran back through the set up instruction to no avail. Could someone point me in the right direction, or maybe just which file would control what is saved?

Thank you greatly!

SS

I have this installed with no errors. I think it will do exactly what I need but it's not saving information. I'm working specifically in the manufacturers section of my admin-trying to add manufacturer description and all the other options this wonderful addon gives me-It will save a manufacturers url, but will not save; title, description or keywords.

I ran back through the set up instruction to no avail. Could someone point me in the right direction, or maybe just which file would control what is saved?

Thank you greatly!

SS

The changes for the manufacturers is all controlled via the admin/manufacturers.php file. Try replacing yours with the included one to see if it works.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The changes for the manufacturers is all controlled via the admin/manufacturers.php file. Try replacing yours with the included one to see if it works.

I didn't touch that file because it was in "new shop only" but (thank you-thank you) that works! Is there anything else I might want to pull or combine with a file I've changed? Or should I go file by file, compare, and decide?

I didn't touch that file because it was in "new shop only" but (thank you-thank you) that works! Is there anything else I might want to pull or combine with a file I've changed? Or should I go file by file, compare, and decide?

All of the changes in the new shop only directory need to be applied to your files. That directory makes it easier for the install on a new shop.But if you can't just upload the files, which you can't do if your files have been changed before, then you have to compare each one, or follow the instructions, to apply the changes.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Good day, Jack,

I would like to install your software to my e-shop (OSC2.3). I followed the readme file instruction downloaded from http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7659. You write there: "The headertags_seo_update.sql file is only for updating

from a previous version, and then only if directed to do

so. It should not be used otherwise."

So, I went back to the Add-Ons page and looked for a previous version of your Header Tags SEO, which I could install to my e-shop, and have found one with an instruction: "download from http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5851/". So I checked it there, and I learned that this supposed to be the previous version is actually the version 3.2.6.

The situation now is a little bit confusing. I would love to make it clear.

My questions are two

1) Is it necessary to install the version 3.2.6 over a previous version or not anymore?

2) What is the previous version? Is it the 3.0? Should I look further for the 3.0?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Antonin

My questions are two

1) Is it necessary to install the version 3.2.6 over a previous version or not anymore?

2) What is the previous version? Is it the 3.0? Should I look further for the 3.0?

No, you don't need to have an older version installed and you should always use the latest version (for my contributions, not necessarily for all contributions).

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

today I begun with the installation of the Header TAgs SEO to my osc 2.3.

I tried to install the database changes, but unfortunately finished at this step having a negative feedback from phpmyadmin:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM' at line 1

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS headertags_cache (title text, data text) TYPE=MyISAM

[TEP STOP]

How to fix it, please?

Thank you very much

Antonin

Hi,

today I begun with the installation of the Header TAgs SEO to my osc 2.3.

I tried to install the database changes, but unfortunately finished at this step having a negative feedback from phpmyadmin:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'TYPE=MyISAM' at line 1

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS headertags_cache (title text, data text) TYPE=MyISAM

[TEP STOP]

How to fix it, please?

Thank you very much

Antonin

Edit the mysql file you are using and remove all instances of TYPE=MyISAM.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi, it is me again,

currently, I am working on the tag settings at the Page Control.

You write here: "This page allows the setting up of all of the pages in a shop. In order for this section to work on a page, that page must have the Header Tags code installed. See the Install_Catalog.txt file for directions on how to do that. Once that code has been added, the following options will allow for setting it up and applying whatever options are applicable to it."

So, now I would like to add the code to all the pages listed. I looked to the install_catalog.txt for the directions but found only the socialbookmarks code. Confused. What code am I supposed to add to the every page? What is the location of the Header Tags code at every page, please?

Thank you very much

Antonin

Hi, it is me again,

currently, I am working on the tag settings at the Page Control.

You write here: "This page allows the setting up of all of the pages in a shop. In order for this section to work on a page, that page must have the Header Tags code installed. See the Install_Catalog.txt file for directions on how to do that. Once that code has been added, the following options will allow for setting it up and applying whatever options are applicable to it."

So, now I would like to add the code to all the pages listed. I looked to the install_catalog.txt for the directions but found only the socialbookmarks code. Confused. What code am I supposed to add to the every page? What is the location of the Header Tags code at every page, please?

Thank you very much

Antonin

No idea what oscommerce version you are using so I can only speak in general terms. If you are using a version before 2.3, follow the instrucitons to add the code. if you are using a version after 2.3, that step is not needed.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

No idea what oscommerce version you are using so I can only speak in general terms. If you are using a version before 2.3, follow the instrucitons to add the code. if you are using a version after 2.3, that step is not needed.

OK, thank you.