• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

I installed this on a site and have a problem with Pseudo code.

I have Page Editor installed and have created an "about_us" page.

The url ends /pages.php?page=about_us&osCsid=7gam1ao36k90r2lb6fo1ppoh64

I create a pseudo page using /header_tags_seo.phpvfor "pages.php?page=about_us" and then selected it in the top left drop down box on the screen "Select an Option:"

This created a record in the headertags table.

Any thoughts on what can be causing this?

It could be a couple of things. First, be sure the permissions on the includes/header_tags.php file are correct since that file gets changed when a pseudo page is added. If you look in that file, you should see

// pages.php
 case (basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) === FILENAME_PAGES):
   $page = 'pages.php?page=about_us';

If not, then the file wasn't updated correctly. If that is OK, see if you have cache enabled. There is a fix in the next version for this type of problem because there's not any cache control code in the add a pseudo page section. To get around that, you can turn off cache, refresh the page and turn it back on. Or apply this change and enter the page again. In admin/headertags_seo.php, around line 474, find

tep_db_perform(TABLE_HEADERTAGS, $sql_data_array);

and add beneath it

if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_CACHE != 'None') {
                            ResetCache_HeaderTags($psedudoPage, '', true);
                        }

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Installed and running great for a few months now-BUT I noticed that the breadcrumb trail is now "mirroring" itself. Instead of reading:

home > Parent category > subcategory > product name > Meta information

It's reading (in a category):

Meta information > sub category > home > parent category > Sub category

And for a product:

Meta Information > Sub category > Item Name > Home > Parent Category > Sub Category > Item style #

Any idea why it's listing some information twice now?

Quidquid latine dictum sit, profundum viditur.

Installed and running great for a few months now-BUT I noticed that the breadcrumb trail is now "mirroring" itself. Instead of reading:

home > Parent category > subcategory > product name > Meta information

It's reading (in a category):

Meta information > sub category > home > parent category > Sub category

And for a product:

Meta Information > Sub category > Item Name > Home > Parent Category > Sub Category > Item style #

Any idea why it's listing some information twice now?

I doubt that is a Header Tags problem since the breadcrumb is created from a standard set of code in oscommerce. Something in your shop must have changed that is causing the breadcrumb to be created incorrectly.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I have a few errors,

this shows up on the products page,

$text_viewing $text_viewing_title

and when i run the test this comes up,

Missing Code in File explain

The Header Tags head code for the index.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found

this shows up on the products page,

$text_viewing $text_viewing_title

and when i run the test this comes up,

Missing Code in File explain

The Header Tags head code for the index.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found

It means it hasn't been installed correctly. You need to go back through the instructions. Be sure you are using the correct ones for your shop.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I am using the correct ones, in the instructioncs i cant find anything to add to some of those files?

I installed the admin first, would this affect it?

I am using the correct ones, in the instructioncs i cant find anything to add to some of those files?

I installed the admin first, would this affect it?

The order doesn't matter as long as you merge the changes, if required.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

This has probably been asked, and answered, a few times. If so, I apologize in advance, but a 218 page thread is difficult to sort through, even with the power of search.

I am using version 3.1.8 and wish to upgrade to version 3.2.5. To do so, do I follow the entire update path in Update_Docs? I.E.: Upgrade from 3.1.8 to 3.1.9. Then, upgrade from 3.1.9 to 3.2.1 (OT: Where did 3.2.0 go?) and so on and so forth...? Or, is there an easier option?

Thank you for your time.

This has probably been asked, and answered, a few times. If so, I apologize in advance, but a 218 page thread is difficult to sort through, even with the power of search.

I am using version 3.1.8 and wish to upgrade to version 3.2.5. To do so, do I follow the entire update path in Update_Docs? I.E.: Upgrade from 3.1.8 to 3.1.9. Then, upgrade from 3.1.9 to 3.2.1 (OT: Where did 3.2.0 go?) and so on and so forth...? Or, is there an easier option?

Thank you for your time.

You can upload all of the Header Tags files (instead of just uploading the ones in the update files) to save a little time. But you will need to go through each to make the required database changes unless it doesn't matter to you if you keep the previous settings. In that case, you can use the uninstall and install scripts.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

me again,

ok fixed all of those errors, one more.

My column right moves to the centre when i click on my products. Can you point me in the right direction for fixing this ie likely code missing

thanks

My column right moves to the centre when i click on my products. Can you point me in the right direction for fixing this ie likely code missing

There's a completed file in the contribution. Use it to compare to yours. Or make the changes one at a time to the product to find the part that is causing the problem.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

This is a great contribution, thanks!

Hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

Prior to installing 'Headertags' my OSC-backend was config'd to "use search engine friendly url's" and the install instructions said to make sure this was not enabled during installation, so that's what I did. Upon finishing the install everything is fine except the product categories don't do anything when you click on any of them from the homepage of my shop. I went back into the osc admin panel and turned "use search engine friendly url's" back on, and they worked again but I didn't want there to be a conflict between that and the Headertags-Seo interface. I haven't had time to go in and add all the metadata into the Headertags-Seo page fill stuff yet, is that why the product category pages won't load right when the "use search engine friendly url's" option is off? Sorry I'm pretty new to using osc, I was using virtuemart and got sick of battling to just get a product page to look ok. Any help would be great, and thanks again

Prior to installing 'Headertags' my OSC-backend was config'd to "use search engine friendly url's" and the install instructions said to make sure this was not enabled during installation, so that's what I did. Upon finishing the install everything is fine except the product categories don't do anything when you click on any of them from the homepage of my shop. I went back into the osc admin panel and turned "use search engine friendly url's" back on, and they worked again but I didn't want there to be a conflict between that and the Headertags-Seo interface. I haven't had time to go in and add all the metadata into the Headertags-Seo page fill stuff yet, is that why the product category pages won't load right when the "use search engine friendly url's" option is off? Sorry I'm pretty new to using osc, I was using virtuemart and got sick of battling to just get a product page to look ok. Any help would be great, and thanks again

Header Tags SEO won't work properly with that setting on so it will have to be turned off. Turning it off shouldn't cause a problem in your shop unless there is a caching issue or your links are hardcoded. For the cache, go to admin->Configuration->Cache and turn it off, if it is on. After you refersh your shops home page, you can turn cache back on and it will work correctly then. If the links are hardcoded, you will need to change the code in the shop to fix that. In general, the search engine friendly option should never be used. It creates poor SEO url's and is not compatible with all servers.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello, I trusted in your contribution and choosed this one instead of Header Tags Controller. The unique problem i have found is that I had to remove (or /*comment*/) (or rename) the next functions:

-tep_get_products_head_title_tag

-tep_get_products_head_desc_tag

-tep_get_products_head_keywords_tag

in admin/includes/functions/header_tags_general.php, where each one is used in admin/categories.php, and I had to remove then because Admin site does not work (500 Error). I have realized that, for example, tep_get_products_head_title_tag is used only one time:

<?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('products_head_title_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', '70', '5', (isset($products_head_title_tag[$languages[$i]['id']]) ? stripslashes($products_head_title_tag[$languages[$i]['id']]) : tep_get_products_head_title_tag($pInfo->products_id, $languages[$i]['id']))); ?>

But I don't know why this causes error. Of course have read the instructions and tested several times but any result. Can you help me?

In another shop I have header tags controller, and because of both addons are not compatible, I read that there is a script or instructions for convert all the old code from HTC to your addon, where is it if I want to convert?

Thanks.

Hello, I trusted in your contribution and choosed this one instead of Header Tags Controller. The unique problem i have found is that I had to remove (or /*comment*/) (or rename) the next functions:

-tep_get_products_head_title_tag

-tep_get_products_head_desc_tag

-tep_get_products_head_keywords_tag

in admin/includes/functions/header_tags_general.php, where each one is used in admin/categories.php, and I had to remove then because Admin site does not work (500 Error). I have realized that, for example, tep_get_products_head_title_tag is used only one time:

But I don't know why this causes error. Of course have read the instructions and tested several times but any result. Can you help me?

In another shop I have header tags controller, and because of both addons are not compatible, I read that there is a script or instructions for convert all the old code from HTC to your addon, where is it if I want to convert?

In HTC and earlier versions of this contribution, those functions were in the admin/includes/functions/general.php file. But with the latest version of this contribution, they were moved to their own file. So if you followed the directions and added the include statement in the general.php file, you will get a duplicate function error, which can show up as an Internal 500 error on some servers.

A conversion script was included in the earlier versions of this contribution but was dropped after a while since it was too much work to maintain and most people had stopped using HTC. That script is no loger compatible so I wouldn't suggest using it and, really, it is easier to just update manually, in my opinion.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

In HTC and earlier versions of this contribution, those functions were in the admin/includes/functions/general.php file. But with the latest version of this contribution, they were moved to their own file. So if you followed the directions and added the include statement in the general.php file, you will get a duplicate function error, which can show up as an Internal 500 error on some servers.

A conversion script was included in the earlier versions of this contribution but was dropped after a while since it was too much work to maintain and most people had stopped using HTC. That script is no loger compatible so I wouldn't suggest using it and, really, it is easier to just update manually, in my opinion.

Thank you for your response.

Yes, it was the problem. I don't know why because any HTC addon was never installed in this shop and therefore I don't know why were these three functions in general.php, but ok.

Hi Everyone,

I installed this header tags seo contribution around a year ago and everything worked fine or just assumed it is working fine until today when I went to google webmaster and checked the "HTML suggestion" section and found out that I have more then 500 duplicated meta description and over 500 duplicated title tags.

The duplicated meta tags and title tags are from the review page of every product I have on website. So, is there any way to avoid this and ask header tags SEO (or any other contribution) to fill the meta and title tags of the review pages to be different and not the same as the product pages. Or is it something that I am doing wrong here?

Thank you for help in advance.

Hi Everyone,

I installed this header tags seo contribution around a year ago and everything worked fine or just assumed it is working fine until today when I went to google webmaster and checked the "HTML suggestion" section and found out that I have more then 500 duplicated meta description and over 500 duplicated title tags.

The duplicated meta tags and title tags are from the review page of every product I have on website. So, is there any way to avoid this and ask header tags SEO (or any other contribution) to fill the meta and title tags of the review pages to be different and not the same as the product pages. Or is it something that I am doing wrong here?

Thank you for help in advance.

You can go into Page Control for the review pages and add some text to the root boxes, like "product review," and that will make those pages different.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You can go into Page Control for the review pages and add some text to the root boxes, like "product review," and that will make those pages different.

That Solved the problem, Thank you very much. The actual page to edit is product_reviews.php. Just add something in the title and description tags which will appear before the product title and make it different as Jack said. Thank you very much

index.php and products_info.php are changed, Anybody does know which more files are recommend to be HTSEOed? All?

That will cover the majority of your site but othe pages will be listed in the search engines, like privacy and contact us, so those should contain SEO related text, if possible. For example, if you have a physical store in New York and wanted to highlight that, optimize the contact us page so target New York. If done properly, that page could rank well for New York and bring in extra customers. Likewise, if you offer free shipping on all products, optimize your shipping page for "Free Shipping."

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

a quick question.

does this addon work with fwr's ULTIMATE SEO URLS 5?

Yes. You have to change a setting in that contribution though, as I recall.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes. You have to change a setting in that contribution though, as I recall.

the reason i ask is that, i was having a problem i only noticed it when i installed SEO URLS, however i have uninstalled it with a backup from after i installed this, and the problem is still there. This is the problem:

Ok when you enter the shop every thing is fine. Then when you click on a category. You then go to the category page, all loads ok but the products that are in that category do not. However, you can enter the products if they show up on the index, by clicking on them. The product then works ok. Hope this helps.

Has anyone had a simlar problem before.

the reason i ask is that, i was having a problem i only noticed it when i installed SEO URLS, however i have uninstalled it with a backup from after i installed this, and the problem is still there. This is the problem:

Ok when you enter the shop every thing is fine. Then when you click on a category. You then go to the category page, all loads ok but the products that are in that category do not. However, you can enter the products if they show up on the index, by clicking on them. The product then works ok. Hope this helps.

Has anyone had a simlar problem before.

If you turn that contribuion off and still have the problem, then the fault is with Header Tags. If it goes away, it is with that contribution and you would need to ask in its support thread.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons