• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

I don´t know wich part that should be. When i go to the index.php the problem starts.

Oscommerce can be thought of as two mini-sites: the shop and the admin. Each have files with the same name but with different code. You have to know which section you are working with (having problems with). Since going to the index.php file can be said for either side, there is no way to tell from that. Try looking at the url when it fails. If it shows the name of your admin directory, then you are in the admin section. Once you can figure that out, post the includes/database_tables.php from that section. If you post the wrong one, it won't help fix the problem so be sure of which section you are in before doing so.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi, Jack, I have interesting promlem: when I check my page www.mineralas.lt on google - http://googlerankings.com/ultimate_seo_tool.php, I get result, that "MetaKeywords : text/html; charset=windows-1257" , ".???? :((((((. Google doen't show the keywords..What's the matter? Maybe in languages, coz I installed lithuanian language?

Thanks

Hi, Jack, I have interesting promlem: when I check my page www.mineralas.lt on google - http://googlerankings.com/ultimate_seo_tool.php, I get result, that "MetaKeywords : text/html; charset=windows-1257" , ".???? :((((((. Google doen't show the keywords..What's the matter? Maybe in languages, coz I installed lithuanian language?

Thanks

Look at your actual source code and see if the keywords are there. If not, then run fill tags and make sure they are.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack.

Thank you for a well written and well documented product. All of this and it's free :) This contrib sounds like just the thing I am looking for however, I am running into one small problem. My shop has Categories Descriptions 1.95 installed in it. That contrib and your contrib both make heavy edits to these two files:

admin/categories.php

catalog/index.php

Normally, when I have conflicting edits like this, I can bumble my way through them. In this case though, I really have no idea what I am doing. I have attempted to get the two contribs to play nice with each other but, no success. I realize it is asking a lot, but do you think you could take a look at Caegories Descriptions 1.95 and see what I may be able to do? The link to the contrib is here: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/1373

Thank you in advance, good sir and, again, thank you for all of your hard work.

My shop has Categories Descriptions 1.95 installed in it. That contrib and your contrib both make heavy edits to these two files:

You either need to remove the Categories Description contribution or not use that option from Header Tags since they won't work together.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Sorry if this question is answered.

It is 120 pages long and I don't imagine how to search this question:

I have installed (two times only :-) Header tags SEO in a Windows Server and Apache.

it looks working.

the question is that if I go to admin panel and select another language different than English I receive only the variable names, and not the text (ie: ERROR_WRONG_PERMISSIONS file appear to be incorrect. Change to 777. NOTE: Disregard if on Windows server), or (TEXT_INFORMATION_PAGES instead of "This column controls the individu.....)

I have doubled checked the admin installation section and it looks fine, and I have found header_tags_seo.php as the definition file for these variables.

I am locked because I don't know how to solve.

Could you please write me some tips?

Thank you for the contribution and for the help.

Regards,

Sorry if this question is answered.

It is 120 pages long and I don't imagine how to search this question:

I have installed (two times only :-) Header tags SEO in a Windows Server and Apache.

it looks working.

the question is that if I go to admin panel and select another language different than English I receive only the variable names, and not the text (ie: ERROR_WRONG_PERMISSIONS file appear to be incorrect. Change to 777. NOTE: Disregard if on Windows server), or (TEXT_INFORMATION_PAGES instead of "This column controls the individu.....)

It means you didn't follow the instructions. From the Install_Admin.txt file

Add to admin/includes/languages/english.php before the closing ?>. Repeat

for any other language you would like Header Tags to work with.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you for your help

I have triple checked and it is done. This is my espanol.php end file:

"

//START STS 4.1

define('BOX_MODULES_STS', 'STS');

//END STS 4.1

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

// header_tags_seo text in includes/boxes/header_tags_seo.php

define('BOX_HEADING_HEADER_TAGS_SEO', 'Header Tags SEO');

define('BOX_HEADER_TAGS_ADD_A_PAGE', 'Page Control');

define('BOX_HEADER_TAGS_SILO', 'Silo Control');

define('BOX_HEADER_TAGS_FILL_TAGS', 'Fill Tags');

define('BOX_HEADER_TAGS_TEST', 'Test');

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

"

it works for the menu, but it doesn't work for the variables.

more ideas?

regards.

Solved.

Well, the question is that I needed the files:

header_tags_seo.php

header_tags_seo_popup_help.php

header_tags_seo_popup_logotext.php

header_tags_seo_silo.php

in every admin/includes/language/<language name> folder

thank you for your help

Hi Jack,

This is a great contribution. I am not viewing the title tag or any other header tag that i input on my product page or my category page (the same may be true for other pages as well). I only see the main set of default tags that I set up in page control on the product page and the category page (the same may be true for other pages as well). I have all of the 'default' options un-checked for product_info.php in Page control.

Problem: I do not see the tags that I have created for each product and each category the tags default to the header tags that i created within Page Control.

What am i missing? What could be causing this? Please help me to get this working.

Thanks,

Mel

This is a great contribution. I am not viewing the title tag or any other header tag that i input on my product page or my category page (the same may be true for other pages as well).

What are the checkbox settings for product_info.php in page control?

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

What are the checkbox settings for product_info.php in page control?

Wow! quick response! thanks so much. I needed that. Well, I've tried several different settings and got this one to work... :

Default Tags: Nothing Checked

index.php: Category "1"

product_info.php: Product "1"

Do I have this set up correctly? or am I doing something that could cause problems moving forward? (sorry, I'm a novice @ this). Another huge difference is that I turned off the search engine safe urls... is this not good to use? i want to make sure google doesn't 'run away' from my site.

Thanks in advance your help!!

Mel

Default Tags: Nothing Checked

index.php: Category "1"

product_info.php: Product "1"

Do I have this set up correctly? or am I doing something that could cause problems moving forward? (sorry, I'm a novice @ this). Another huge difference is that I turned off the search engine safe urls... is this not good to use? i want to make sure google doesn't 'run away' from my site.

There's no "correct" way to have the settings. It depends on your product line and how the pages are optimized. In general though, the default options should be off for index.php and product_info.php. For the other settings, you have to look at your home, category and product pages to determine if the settings are as you want them.

The search engine option in admin should never be used. If you have been using it and have now turned it off, unless you have one of the url rewriters installed that issues 301's for those url's, like Ultimate SEO, then no harm will be done. Otherwise, you will lose the positions for them until the search engines re-indexes them. If this is a new site or few urls have been indexed, it doesn't matter.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The error is saying it can't find the includes/languages/german/header_tags_seo.php. If you look in the includes/languages/german/ directory, is there a header_tags_seo.php file?

OK here is what I don't get:

The error message asks for a "header_tags_seo.php" in the catalog part of the shop (includes/languages/)

The only header_tags_seo.php file I found is in the admin section of the installation package (\catalog\admin\includes\languages\english).

Should I just copy this file to includes/languages/german ?? That can't be right?!

Open Source Newsletter: PhPList

Open Source Questionnaire: Lime Survey

The only header_tags_seo.php file I found is in the admin section of the installation package (\catalog\admin\includes\languages\english).

Should I just copy this file to includes/languages/german ?? That can't be right?!

Yes, that is correct. Afte copying it, you need to edit the file and change the text to German. This is common for all contributions.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Tag Description as Short Description in product listing.

Hello All,

I have installed in my site Header Tags SEO v3.1.8 and table products_description has a field "products_head_desc_tag" so I thought it would be I great idea to use that field as the short description to be used in product listing. This way in product listing pages, you have now your product name/title and a short description just below it.

After reading the installation of Product Description 1.3 this is what I did:

Opened catalog/index.php and added "pd.products_head_desc_tag, " after

$listing_sql = "select " . $select_column_list . " p.products_id, so all your lines that starts now with:

$listing_sql = "select " . $select_column_list . " p.products_id, pd.products_head_desc_tag, ... and the rest of the query continues with no more changes.

Then opened catalog/includes/modules/product_listing.php and replace this code:

case 'PRODUCT_LIST_NAME':

$lc_align = '';

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {

$lc_text = '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'manufacturers_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . '&products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '">' . $listing['products_name'] . '</a>';

} else {

$lc_text = ' <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, ($cPath ? 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&' : '') . 'products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '">' . $listing['products_name'] . '</a> ';

}

break;

with this:

case 'PRODUCT_LIST_NAME':

$lc_align = '';

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {

$lc_text = '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'manufacturers_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . '&products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '"><b>' . $listing['products_name'] . '</a></b><br>' . $listing['products_head_desc_tag'] . '</b>';

} else {

$lc_text = '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, ($cPath ? 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&' : '') . 'products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '"><b>' . $listing['products_name'] . '</a></b><br>' . $listing['products_head_desc_tag'] . '</b>';}

break;

All credits to developer of Header Tags SEO and Product Description 1.3 contribs

Enjoy!

Jack,

My site was loading slowly until I ran into this thread that was started by Chemo. Then I installed Queries Debug Output v1.4 for osCommerce-ms2. It showed that the Silo Box available in Header Tags SEO V3.1.8 was taking 15.4 seconds to load. The query that was specifically addressed was:

select pd.products_head_title_tag, p.products_id from products_description pd left join products p on pd.products_id = p.products_id left join products_to_categories p2c on pd.products_id = p2c.products_id where p.products_status = '1' and pd.language_id = '1' and p2c.categories_id = '3' order by p.products_ordered Limit 6 which refers to line 72 in header_tags_silo.php.

I temporarily removed the Silo Box until you had a chance to look at the code to see if you can get it to load faster. Since it is your code and creation, I felt you were the best option to improve it. I didn't realize there was a process of optimizing store speed. How does page loading affect the way search engine bots crawl a website? I know customers will leave if it takes more than 10 seconds, especially the impulse buyers. That will cause a higher bounce rate.

I have a large store and higher parse times could be a hidden enemy. Siloing is a great benefit according to research and I know you wouldn''t waste your time on it. I will be adding it again once I can get it to load faster.

Thanks.

Yes, that is correct. Afte copying it, you need to edit the file and change the text to German. This is common for all contributions.

I seem to be very slow. I copied the file to admin/includes/german and got this error upon executing header_tags_seo_convert.php

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare do_magic_quotes_gpc() (previously declared in /srv/www/vhosts/mydomain.de/httpdocs/shop/admin/includes/functions/compatibility.php:18) in /srv/www/vhosts/mydomain.de/httpdocs/shop/admin/includes/functions/compatibility.php on line 18

Line 18 in the compatibility document talks about magic quotes.

Not sure at all what that means, but the contribution is not working yet.

As a token of my appreciation for your endless patience, could I offer you my services as translator for the german part of your scripts? None of that Google Translator stuff, but real, contextual translations. PM if you have any file that need translation and I will do my best!

Edited by NewBudda

Open Source Newsletter: PhPList

Open Source Questionnaire: Lime Survey

My site was loading slowly until I ran into this thread that was started by Chemo. Then I installed Queries Debug Output v1.4 for osCommerce-ms2. It showed that the Silo Box available in Header Tags SEO V3.1.8 was taking 15.4 seconds to load.

Hmm, that's strange. I could see that happenning if it were loading in all of the categories/products but it is only loading six. I don't see anything wrong with the code though.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I seem to be very slow. I copied the file to admin/includes/german and got this error upon executing header_tags_seo_convert.php

As a token of my appreciation for your endless patience, could I offer you my services as translator for the german part of your scripts? None of that Google Translator stuff, but real, contextual translations. PM if you have any file that need translation and I will do my best!

There are two sections in your shop: the shop side and the admin side. You can't mix the files. You mentioned earlier the problem was in the shop but now you are saying you are copying admin files. Copying files to the wrong place can cause the magic quotes problem. So you need to be sure you have the correct files in the correct place.

You can send me the language files if you like. I don't even try to maintain them, not knowing the language, so they probably wouldn't be accurate for long. The ones in the shop are small changes so that shouldn't really need it. The ones in admin would be nice though.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons