• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Thanks a lot, Jack. It worked :thumbsup: Now I am able to carry on the remaining steps.

You mentioned the permission setting. Can you guide me where to change the permission setting whereas I am testing in my local machine (not on live)?? I only know where to change permission via host file manager not sure how to setup in local sever. :blush:

Thanks. organicme

Thanks a lot, Jack. It worked :thumbsup: Now I am able to carry on the remaining steps.

You mentioned the permission setting. Can you guide me where to change the permission setting whereas I am testing in my local machine (not on live)?? I only know where to change permission via host file manager not sure how to setup in local sever. :blush:

Thanks. organicme

It doesn't matter on a local maching but if it is Windows, just set the files to read-only.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

I recently updated this mod as well as Ultimate urls and have a question. On certain categories I have a double title on the category page. This does not happen on each one. Any ideas what causes this? Here's a link to an example:http://www.lyonsperformance.com/test_site/valvetrain-components-c-132.html

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Jack,

I recently updated this mod as well as Ultimate urls and have a question. On certain categories I have a double title on the category page. This does not happen on each one. Any ideas what causes this? Here's a link to an example:http://www.lyonsperformance.com/test_site/valvetrain-components-c-132.html

Thanks,

Matt

Header Tags doesn't control the url's so the problem is elsewhere in your code.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

A new version has been uploaded with these changes:

-> Added some more code to Fill Tags to show what was changed.

-> Added silo option. See admin->Header Tags SEO->Silo Control for details.

-> Fixed social bookmark code to prevent SID from being added to the url (pointed out by Carl (theintoy). Also added code to include the category name in the url for category pages.

-> Removed breadcrumb code from index.php in RC2 (found by gemcom).

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi, I am working on a pre-built shop with 3500 already installed products. I have the header seo tool installed and am having the following problem if anyone can help please :-)

I have had a good look into the SEO module attached to the website and can update products and categories at the site level with this without a problem.

Once this is updated with the basic information and i have a category called abc and a product called def, the title tag will now be displayed as abc - def

I can then go into the product and change the meta title tag to abc - what ever I want product to say

However, at the categoty level my title tag will only display as abc and when i update and add infromtion to this it will not update and just displays abc as the title tag

I can obviously populate categories with for example ITEMNAME – Buy ITEMNAME at Low Internet Prices but this in turn causes problems at the product level as this full sentence would then be placed before the actual product which then does not display in the title tag.

I have had a good look through all the settings and as far as I can see there should be no reason that the meta title does not update in the products and categories section the same way as products other than it just doesn’t make the requested changes.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Edited by davidgab

However, at the categoty level my title tag will only display as abc and when i update and add infromtion to this it will not update and just displays abc as the title tag

If you can't edit a category, the problem is in the categories.php file. See the troubleshooting instructions for that.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Which boxes should be checked in the contribution header tags seo? I have Google, Language, NOODP, and NOYDR currently checked. Should revisit and robots also be checked?

Thank you in advance!

Flying away to get back to work.

Which boxes should be checked in the contribution header tags seo? I have Google, Language, NOODP, and NOYDR currently checked. Should revisit and robots also be checked?

Thank you in advance!

Generally, all that is needed is NOODP, NOYDR and Canonical.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

5) In includes/languages/english.php (and whichever other language files you use)

FIND:

define('BOX_HEADER_TAGS_FILL_TAGS', 'Fill Tags');

ADD BENEATH:

define('BOX_HEADER_TAGS_SILO', 'Silo Control');

Hi Jack

Is the above correct in the upgrade instructions version 3.1.7 to

Header Tags SEO V 3.1.8 as I don't seem to have define('BOX_HEADER_TAGS_FILL_TAGS', 'Fill Tags') in includes/languages/english.php.

I do have

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

define('TEXT_SEE_MORE', 'See More');

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

includes/languages/english.php

Should it read admin/includes/languages/english.php

Thanks

WWW.anniedays.2ya.com

5) In includes/languages/english.php (and whichever other language files you use)

FIND:

define('BOX_HEADER_TAGS_FILL_TAGS', 'Fill Tags');

ADD BENEATH:

define('BOX_HEADER_TAGS_SILO', 'Silo Control');

Should it read admin/includes/languages/english.php

Yes, it should be admin.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

After installing HT SEO 3.1.7,I got an error message under catalog admin saying "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in C:\..\myadmin\categories.php on line 95

I then went through your suggestion in troubleshoot and threads with similar my problem I have. At the end, it seems to resolve the above issue after I replaced 2 files (categories, manufacturer)from your folder called "catalog_for_new_shop_only_MS2" Honestly,I am not sure if this is right action to take even though my shop is not new after several add-on installed. Not sure what other consequence I may deal later.

However, currently there are 2 remaining issues as far as I notice (as below);

1.The category description appears repeating (duplicate) in my shop

2.The results of 'Testing the Installation' remain the same. e.g Duplicate title found:/Duplicate meta description found:/Duplicate meta description found:/Title length warning: (Suggested range is 60 to 120 characters)

Somehow they seems to me the same issues but I've limited knowledge of php. It'd be really appreciated if you could advice me where or how to rectify those issues. Thanks a lot. organicme

Hi, i've a problem with Header Tags SEO.

i got 2 languages in my osc. tags added in admin are showing only in german language in live shop. in english i got no tags at all. no title, meta, etc.

checked the install steps twice and everything is fine. any ideas guys?

Hi Jack

After installing HT SEO 3.1.7,I got an error message under catalog admin saying "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DOUBLE_ARROW in C:\..\myadmin\categories.php on line 95

You should install 3.1.8.

I then went through your suggestion in troubleshoot and threads with similar my problem I have. At the end, it seems to resolve the above issue after I replaced 2 files (categories, manufacturer)from your folder called "catalog_for_new_shop_only_MS2" Honestly,I am not sure if this is right action to take even though my shop is not new after several add-on installed. Not sure what other consequence I may deal later.

They could be significant. You can't just replace files like that unless you know it is safe. That troubleshooting procedure is to just show where the problem is at and to aid in finding it. You should replace the original files and do the manual install for them again to avoid other problems.

However, currently there are 2 remaining issues as far as I notice (as below);

1.The category description appears repeating (duplicate) in my shop

It means you made a mistake in the installation.

2.The results of 'Testing the Installation' remain the same. e.g Duplicate title found:/Duplicate meta description found:/Duplicate meta description found:/Title length warning: (Suggested range is 60 to 120 characters)

You have to look at the actual links and determine if those are actually errors. Duplicate values may be OK.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi, i've a problem with Header Tags SEO.

i got 2 languages in my osc. tags added in admin are showing only in german language in live shop. in english i got no tags at all. no title, meta, etc.

checked the install steps twice and everything is fine. any ideas guys?

Do the titles show up in admin for english? If not, you probably have some error with your languages setup. if they do, then you've probably made a mistake with the installation on the shop side.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

in german test is ok. in english i got that- Database/File Mismatch Error: explain

The number of file entries in the database (26) does not match the number in the includes/header_tags.php file (32).

Files not in the database:

index.php

product_info.php

product_reviews.php

product_reviews_info.php

product_reviews_write.php

specials.php

but when i click add missing pages in page control there is none

in german test is ok. in english i got that- Database/File Mismatch Error: explain

The number of file entries in the database (26) does not match the number in the includes/header_tags.php file (32).

Files not in the database:

index.php

product_info.php

product_reviews.php

product_reviews_info.php

product_reviews_write.php

specials.php

but when i click add missing pages in page control there is none

Without those files in the database for english, the code won't work for english. Try running the uninstall and install scripts and then run Fill Tags. That should set it up correctly. It will erase any changes you have made to Header Tags in the database though, if that matters.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You should install 3.1.8.They could be significant. You can't just replace files like that unless you know it is safe. That troubleshooting procedure is to just show where the problem is at and to aid in finding it. You should replace the original files and do the manual install for them again to avoid other problems.

It means you made a mistake in the installation.

You have to look at the actual links and determine if those are actually errors. Duplicate values may be OK.

Hi Jack, Thanks for your advice. As suggested, I have 3.1.8 installed just now and have played around in localhost and admin panel. There are some errors where I have no idea how to fit and would appreciate if you can point me out how to fit it.

1.Under Admin Panel->Header Controller->Text Control: Should I worry this? After all, I'm going to use SEO instead of Header controller.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function GetMainArgument() in C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\sand_myadmin\header_tags_english.php on line 69

Line69: $main_title = GetMainArgument($fp[$idx], $main['title'], $formActive);

2. Under my shop: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DNUMBER in C:\..\catalog\includes\header_tags.php on line226

In fact, there is no line 226 in my header_tags.php. I then used Winmerge to compare your file and mine. I realise that some extra lines exist in my file. Those extra lines are all php files I have under Catalog such as about_us.php (script shown as below), how to order etc. I then replace my file with yours taken from category folder and the problem seem resolved but only few mins. Later, the replaced file was overwrote. Those extra lines I had appear again. Can you point me how to rectify this issue?

// About_Us.php

case (basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) === FILENAME_ABOUT_US):

$header_tags_array = tep_header_tag_page(FILENAME_ABOUT_US);

break;

3. Result from Test installation shows few errors applied to diff. php files;for instance

CRE or oscMax Error: CRE or oscMax is running and the head code in the index.php file has Header Tags code installed, which is a mistake.(same to product_info.php and few others)

As far as I know, my shop is regular oscommerce site not CRE or oscMax. Can you tell me where to resolve this error? :blink: Many thanks, organicme

1.Under Admin Panel->Header Controller->Text Control: Should I worry this? After all, I'm going to use SEO instead of Header controller.

You've made a mistake in the upgrade. It may or may not be a problem - just depends on the mistakes made. I suggest fixing it though.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function GetMainArgument() in C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\htdocs\sand_myadmin\header_tags_english.php on line 69

Line69: $main_title = GetMainArgument($fp[$idx], $main['title'], $formActive);

That functions isn't part of Header Tags SEO nor is there a file named header_tags_english.php in the admin directory.

2. Under my shop: Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DNUMBER in C:\..\catalog\includes\header_tags.php on line226

In fact, there is no line 226 in my header_tags.php. I then used Winmerge to compare your file and mine. I realise that some extra lines exist in my file. Those extra lines are all php files I have under Catalog such as about_us.php (script shown as below), how to order etc. I then replace my file with yours taken from category folder and the problem seem resolved but only few mins. Later, the replaced file was overwrote. Those extra lines I had appear again. Can you point me how to rectify this issue?

// About_Us.php

case (basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) === FILENAME_ABOUT_US):

$header_tags_array = tep_header_tag_page(FILENAME_ABOUT_US);

break;

Header Tags SEO is tryig to build the code for the extra pages but I suspect there is still HTC code in the shop, based on the above, causing the problem.

3. Result from Test installation shows few errors applied to diff. php files;for instance

CRE or oscMax Error: CRE or oscMax is running and the head code in the index.php file has Header Tags code installed, which is a mistake.(same to product_info.php and few others)

As far as I know, my shop is regular oscommerce site not CRE or oscMax. Can you tell me where to resolve this error? :blink: Many thanks, organicme

Someone else mentioned this but I can't duplicate it and others aren't having the problem. Fixing the installation errors may clear it up.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Header Tags doesn't control the url's so the problem is elsewhere in your code.

Can anyone bee little bit more specific how and what i should write in all those empty fields in admin such as tags, description etc etc

It seems taht many fields are just dublets

Can anyone bee little bit more specific how and what i should write in all those empty fields in admin such as tags, description etc etc

It seems taht many fields are just dublets

There shouldn't be any empty fields once Fill Tags is ran. If there is, something is not setup correctly.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You've made a mistake in the upgrade. It may or may not be a problem - just depends on the mistakes made. I suggest fixing it though.

That functions isn't part of Header Tags SEO nor is there a file named header_tags_english.php in the admin directory.Header Tags SEO is tryig to build the code for the extra pages but I suspect there is still HTC code in the shop, based on the above, causing the problem.

Someone else mentioned this but I can't duplicate it and others aren't having the problem. Fixing the installation errors may clear it up.

Hi Jack, Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. Honestly,I still couldn't figure out the root causes for those issues. I can kinda seeing the effect from having HTC and SEO in the same time. I wonder if I could eliminate the problems by removing HTC at once? if possible, then how.

In addition, your SEO contribution contains one folder named "Update_Docs". I have not added anything from that folder since it was not mentioned within your installation txt (unless I missed out). Also, none of txt is applicable for my shop since my shop used HTC version before upgrading. Is it right to ignore? and how about "header_tags_seo_convert.php"? where it suppose to go?

Many thanks. organicme

Hi Jack, Thanks for taking time to answer my questions. Honestly,I still couldn't figure out the root causes for those issues. I can kinda seeing the effect from having HTC and SEO in the same time. I wonder if I could eliminate the problems by removing HTC at once? if possible, then how.

If properly installed, it won't matter that both sets of code are in the shop since only one will work.

In addition, your SEO contribution contains one folder named "Update_Docs". I have not added anything from that folder since it was not mentioned within your installation txt (unless I missed out). Also, none of txt is applicable for my shop since my shop used HTC version before upgrading. Is it right to ignore? and how about "header_tags_seo_convert.php"? where it suppose to go?

The header_tags_seo_convert.php file is only for converting from the Header Tags Controller to this contribution. It was dropped from this contribution since there is an easier way to upgrade. In short, upload all of the files from the catalog directory from this contribution. Use the update sql file to make the database changes and run through the Install_Catalog and Install_Admin files, making whatever changes are needed.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

hello Jack,

Installed the latest version of your header tags and most things seem to be perfroming fine.

I have had no errors or problems and all my tags seem to have been populated to my liking.

However I have found a couple of problems that I was wondering if you could shed any light on?

in the options.txt file that comes with the contrib it states....

The following describes the options that are in admin->Configuration->Header Tags SEO.

Automatically Add New Pages - adds any news pages it finds to the list automatically

when you go to Page Control. If not set, you have to manually add the pages by

selecting Add New Pages from the dropdown.

Check for Missing Tags - checks to see if you have any products, categories or

manufacuters that have empty titles or meta tags.

Display Category Parents in Title and Tags - This setting has three options meant

to control how the category names are displayed in the title and meta tags.

etc etc.

However when I go to my admin->configuration-> Header Tags SEO I do not get the option of Display Category Parents in Title and Tags.

I also have no test facility. I have uploaded the buttons and have checked and rechecked all the files and the code changes that have been performed and cannot find any errors at all.

Could you please let me know why you think my Header Tags SEO control is not displaying all the options it should be.

Again great contrib and thank you for your time.