• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

too many keywords would cause so much text to be on the page that your customers would fall asleep from boredom

Jack

This sentence somewhat puzzles me. I was under the impression that even a lengthy text could be good, in fact even better SEO-wise, than a shorter one would be. At least if we presume that the lengthy text is well-written.

If, what I say holds true, should the number of keywords still be three or should we have have three for the first two paragraphs and another three for the next two...? It's perhaps a basic question, but here is so much confusion in this area. I've come to believe that your reputation is very good in this context, so please, give us your opinion here Jack!

The generally accepted number is three but it really depends on the text on the page. The keywords need to be mentioned in that text, the more times the better. With three keywords that usually works out to a few paragraphs of text. So you can see that having too many keywords would cause so much text to be on the page that your customers would fall asleep from boredom.

Jack

I use fill tags on my product pages so it uses the product name and description for the meta tags. I was curious about the index.php page and links.php and so on.

Thanks, Rickey

This sentence somewhat puzzles me. I was under the impression that even a lengthy text could be good, in fact even better SEO-wise, than a shorter one would be. At least if we presume that the lengthy text is well-written.

If, what I say holds true, should the number of keywords still be three or should we have have three for the first two paragraphs and another three for the next two...? It's perhaps a basic question, but here is so much confusion in this area. I've come to believe that your reputation is very good in this context, so please, give us your opinion here Jack!

The more text on the page the better since search love text. However, as a rule, regular visitors to your site hate text, prefering to see colorful images. You should always code for your visitors since they are the ones paying the bills. But without good positions in the search engine listings, you may not get enough visitors to do that. So a balance needs to be struck. What that is depends on the site so isn't something that can be covered with a blanket statement.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I use fill tags on my product pages so it uses the product name and description for the meta tags. I was curious about the index.php page and links.php and so on.

Thanks, Rickey

You have to add those via page control.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Your pain in the butt is back... :P

I just updated from 3.0.1 to 3.1.3 following each step carefully, even ran fill tags, and then double checked myself and ran the test.

Here's a run down of my problems I can't figure out.

On the catalog side once you click a link in the categories menu "path Standard" shows in the upper left corner. <_<

Test results:

Database/File Mismatch Error:

Files not in the includes/header_tags.php file:

headertags_seo_install.php

headertags_seo_uninstall.php

Those files are not present on my server. :blink:

Missing Code in File:

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found.

Guess I missed adding the code to those files somehow. :o

Here's a stumper...

Duplicate title found:

for English

All-Purpose Gloss Set exists more than once.

Aluma Yellow Pearl exists more than once.

Artic Blue Metallic exists more than once.

...etc... for a total of 71 products.

I didn't copy products from category to category. I only listed products once.

Where and how is it finding these duplicate titles?

More importantly, how do I correct it?

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

On the catalog side once you click a link in the categories menu "path Standard" shows in the upper left corner.

I guess I'll have to find some time to update a fix for this. It seems a simple thing to read a page or two in a thread before posting but no one seems to want to do that. I'll upload a fixed version this weekend so this problem won't continue to be such a mystery.

Test results:

Database/File Mismatch Error:

Files not in the includes/header_tags.php file:

headertags_seo_install.php

headertags_seo_uninstall.php

Those files are not present on my server. :blink:

They were probably present when you entered page control, which adds the files automatically. Deleting the files won't delete them from the database. Just upload the includes/header_tags.php file and enter page control again to fix it.

Missing Code in File:

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found.

Guess I missed adding the code to those files somehow. :o

If you don't have STS installed, then you have to edit those files. The test is saying that wasn't done.

Here's a stumper...

Duplicate title found:

for English

All-Purpose Gloss Set exists more than once.

Aluma Yellow Pearl exists more than once.

Artic Blue Metallic exists more than once.

...etc... for a total of 71 products.

I didn't copy products from category to category. I only listed products once.

Where and how is it finding these duplicate titles?

More importantly, how do I correct it?

Maybe due to the same entries in different languages? You have to pick one and look it up on the site to see what the problem is.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Explained many times in the last few pages.

Enable admin->configuration->Header Tags SEO->Enable TinyMCE Editor for Products. If that doesn't make a difference, upload one of the included categories.php files to your server and see if that works.

Jack

Hi again Jack!

A thread with over 136 pages is very hard to search (especially for us who dont speak your language that well) , is there a way for you to make a new thread with maybe a faq? I think that would help many of us newbies :P And save you time, not needing to answer the same question again and again..

To get back to my problem, i dont know if i made my self clear, i mean that before i installed your contrib i could use TinyMce for my productdescription, and now after installing your contrib i can only use that in the meta product description and not in the old regular product description area... I even upoaded the included admin/configure.php file but there was no difference.

And the Path Standard text over my header in product page is shown as well even with your admin/categories.php

Solan

Hi again Jack!

A thread with over 136 pages is very hard to search (especially for us who dont speak your language that well) , is there a way for you to make a new thread with maybe a faq? I think that would help many of us newbies :P And save you time, not needing to answer the same question again and again..

To get back to my problem, i dont know if i made my self clear, i mean that before i installed your contrib i could use TinyMce for my productdescription, and now after installing your contrib i can only use that in the meta product description and not in the old regular product description area... I even upoaded the included admin/configure.php file but there was no difference.

And the Path Standard text over my header in product page is shown as well even with your admin/categories.php

Solan

Solan I don't personally use tinymce but I looked at the code that is included with the header tags contribution and it calls for the insertion of this

<?php // START tinyMCE Anywhere
if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_META_DESC == 'true' || HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_CATEGORIES == 'true' || HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_PRODUCTS == 'true')
{  
 if ($action == 'new_product' || $action == 'new_category' || $action == 'edit_category') { // No need to put JS on all pages.
   $languages = tep_get_languages(); // Get all languages
 // Build list of textareas to convert
   $str = '';
   for ($i = 0, $n = sizeof($languages); $i < $n; $i++) {
     if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_META_DESC  == 'true') $str .= "products_head_desc_tag[".$languages[$i]['id']."],";
     if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_CATEGORIES == 'true') $str .= "categories_htc_description[".$languages[$i]['id']."],";
     if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_PRODUCTS == 'true') $str .= "products_head_description[".$languages[$i]['id']."],";
   }  //end for each language
   $mce_str = rtrim ($str,","); // Removed the last comma from the string.
 // You can add more textareas to convert in the $str, be careful that they are all separated by a comma.
   echo '<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="includes/javascript/tiny_mce/tiny_mce.js"></script>';
   include "includes/javascript/tiny_mce/general.php";
 } 
} // END tinyMCE Anywhere
?>

and I think it should be

if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_META_DESC == 'true' || HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_CATEGORIES == 'true' || HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_PRODUCTS == 'true')
{  
 if ($action == 'new_product' || $action == 'new_category' || $action == 'edit_category') { // No need to put JS on all pages.
   $str = '';
     $str.="products_description[".$languages[$i]['id']."],";
     if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_META_DESC  == 'true') $str .= "products_head_desc_tag[".$languages[$i]['id']."],";
     if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_CATEGORIES == 'true') $str .= "categories_htc_description[".$languages[$i]['id']."],";
     if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_PRODUCTS == 'true') $str .= "products_head_description[".$languages[$i]['id']."],";
 // You can add more textareas to convert in the $str, be careful that they are all separated by a comma.
   echo '<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="includes/javascript/tiny_mce/tiny_mce.js"></script>';
 } 
?>

But I have to be honest I have no idea why you would ever want to use a wysiwyg on header tags and titles. Anyway like I said I don't use this myself but I would give that a try.. maybe put you on the right path at least.

Hi again Jack!

The search function at the bottom of the page works quite well. Just type in TinyMCE and it returns all posts with that in it. A new page wouldn't help since it would grow and have the same problem over time.

There's a mistake in the code. In admin/categories.php, find this line

and change it to

if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_TINYMCE_PRODUCTS == 'true') $str .= "products_description[".$languages[$i]['id']."],";

I'll upload a new version with that fix this weekend.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Solan I don't personally use tinymce but I looked at the code that is included with the header tags contribution and it calls for the insertion of this

{  
   $str = '';
 } 
?>

and I think it should be

{  
   $str = '';
     $str.="products_description[".$languages[$i]['id']."],";
 } 
?>

But I have to be honest I have no idea why you would ever want to use a wysiwyg on header tags and titles. Anyway like I said I don't use this myself but I would give that a try.. maybe put you on the right path at least.

Thanks Eric but it is the regular product description that lost its tinymce function after installing this contrib...... now it only works with this contribs meta product description :rolleyes:

Now i learned something new... i didnt know about the search field at the bottom of the page *lol* now you made my time here on the forum MUCH easier... BIG Thank you Jack

ok folks... i now know what the problem was i was erasing some of my own code when installing the contrib.. now it works :rolleyes:

Now im trying to get my extra_info_pages to work with this contrib. I did as it say in the install catalog:

in each file you want to edit, make the following modification:

FIND:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

REPLACE with the following then continue with Step 2:

<?php

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');

} else {

?>

<?php

}

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

?>

But i only get my contact us page to work with it.. so i have to figure out what om doing wrong here.. anyone have a clue?

Does the Add a Pseudo Page have something to do with it maybe?

Edited by Solan

Now im trying to get my extra_info_pages to work with this contrib. I did as it say in the install catalog:

in each file you want to edit, make the following modification:

FIND:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

REPLACE with the following then continue with Step 2:

But i only get my contact us page to work with it.. so i have to figure out what om doing wrong here.. anyone have a clue?

Does the Add a Pseudo Page have something to do with it maybe?

You only make that change to actual files. In a contribution like extra pages, there will be one file, like extra_pages.php, that you would edit. Then any of the pages you add would be added via the pseduo page option.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

First thanks for the great contribution! I'm playing with it locally, so not live yet but it looks promising!

In an attempt to make it better .... ;) ;) i have some remarks that you might want to take along.

I have STS and noticed when i follow the manual directions the queries from includes/headertags are done twice on a single page load. This is due to the require statements in the index.php page (for example) AND the header.php which needs to be added for sts!? I have now removed all but the header.php and it seems to work. So additional remark in the manual: choose 1 method only (or make it a require_once).

Second thing to mention in the manual is to fill the exclusionlist before auto-detecting the files, took me a while before i got it ;)

Ok, continuing now,,,, maybe i have some more remarks later on, thanks again, great work!

Paul

I guess I'll have to find some time to update a fix for this. It seems a simple thing to read a page or two in a thread before posting but no one seems to want to do that. I'll upload a fixed version this weekend so this problem won't continue to be such a mystery.

I appologize, but I was unable to find a resolve for the problem on my initial search.

I finally stumbled across a link someone posted which lead here - Post 2598 with the fix explained here - Post 2599.

Oops. In includes/functions/header_tags.php, find and remove this line

echo 'path '.HEADER_TAGS_ADD_CATEGORY_PARENTS;

They were probably present when you entered page control, which adds the files automatically. Deleting the files won't delete them from the database. Just upload the includes/header_tags.php file and enter page control again to fix it.

Thank you Jack! Will do ;)

If you don't have STS installed, then you have to edit those files. The test is saying that wasn't done.

That's what I figured. For some reason I seem to remember those being optional in the 3.0.1 release or maybe I just missed it. :huh:

Maybe due to the same entries in different languages? You have to pick one and look it up on the site to see what the problem is.

Jack

I'm only using one language file. "Look it up on the site" I assume that means in the database?

Thank you very much Jack for helping me out yet again. I appreciate all that you do for us in this community.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Thanks Jhande.. that helped me a lot..

Now with my extra_info_pages i wonder a bit about my title, Description and keywords.. You se i have 7 different pages i use with extra_info_pages and they all is about different things... But if i get you right, Jack, i only have one page for title, description and keywords with my pages using extra_info_pages?

So then how do your think is the best way for me to use that one page when adding keywords and so on?

Solan

Sorry, me again, found a small bug causing pageload fails when generating kw's:

$pageName = 'product_info.php' .'?products_id=' . $products_tags['products_id'] . '?language='. $languages[$i]['code'];

should be

$pageName = 'product_info.php' .'?products_id=' . $products_tags['products_id'] . '&language='. $languages[$i]['code'];

Paul

You only make that change to actual files. In a contribution like extra pages, there will be one file, like extra_pages.php, that you would edit. Then any of the pages you add would be added via the pseduo page option.

Jack

i forgot, i´m using STS so i understand that i cant change the extra_info_pages like this? :

<?php

} else {

?>

<?php

}

?>

*********************************************************************'

I have been reading som earlier posts (thanks to your advice ;) ), and your catalog install text, so i found something about adding <!--$headcontent-->.

So now i dont seem to get the $headcontent in the right place of the code..

i tried with:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<?php echo $headcontent; ?>

and the whole:

<?php

} else {

?>

<title><?php $headcontent; ?></title>

<?php

}

?>

***********************************************************'

But i always end up with: File http://www.xxx.xxx/extra_info_pages.php is not using Header Tags.

What am i missing out?

This happends when i try to add my extra pages as a pseudo page and press update..

Edited by Solan

That's what I figured. For some reason I seem to remember those being optional in the 3.0.1 release or maybe I just missed it. :huh:

The code for how STS is handled was changed in one of the versions. I don't recall how it was initially handled but for the last few versions or so, that is what is needed.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Jhande.. that helped me a lot..

Now with my extra_info_pages i wonder a bit about my title, Description and keywords.. You se i have 7 different pages i use with extra_info_pages and they all is about different things... But if i get you right, Jack, i only have one page for title, description and keywords with my pages using extra_info_pages?

So then how do your think is the best way for me to use that one page when adding keywords and so on?

Solan

Thee's no limit on the pages. You just have to enter them as pseduo pages. They will then each have their own title and meta tags.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Sorry, me again, found a small bug causing pageload fails when generating kw's:

$pageName = 'product_info.php' .'?products_id=' . $products_tags['products_id'] . '?language='. $languages[$i]['code'];

should be

$pageName = 'product_info.php' .'?products_id=' . $products_tags['products_id'] . '&language='. $languages[$i]['code'];

Paul

Thanks for posting that mistake. I'll add it to the next release.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thee's no limit on the pages. You just have to enter them as pseduo pages. They will then each have their own title and meta tags.

Jack

I dont know if you saw my later post where i was wondering about the <!--$headcontent-->

I dont get my extra pages to have their own title and meta tags since i dont know where or how to ad <!--$headcontent--> in the extra_information_pages.php

as you can se in the earlier post i tried som different code but when i try to ad pseudo pages i get error: File http://www.xxx.xxx/extra_info_pages.php is not using Header Tags.

so i have to figure how to put correct code in that file...

I dont know if you saw m....

Solan,

For all your sts-template files (the .html's) make sure you have the headcontent defined. So it looke like this:

<head>
<!--$headcontent-->

Then (as i posted) you might want to consider to add the require(... only in header.php and not on each individual page. This should give you tags on every webpage in your shop.

Paul

Solan,

For all your sts-template files (the .html's) make sure you have the headcontent defined. So it looke like this:

<head>
<!--$headcontent-->

Then (as i posted) you might want to consider to add the require(... only in header.php and not on each individual page. This should give you tags on every webpage in your shop.

Paul

Hi Paul i checked and my sts files is correct.. But my problem is that i dont know the correct code for extra_info_pages.php

I have tried so many different codes but always when i try to add a pseudo page i get the error code that extra_info_pages.php does not use Header tags. :(

Here is the code without any code for headertags contrib.. what would the correct code be?

<?php
/*
 $infopageid: extra_info_pages.php, v4.50 2003/06/05 23:26:22 hpdl Exp $

contribution is : Extra pages-info box w- admin
 http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2021

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

require('includes/application_top.php');

$infopageid = (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['pages_id'];

$page_query = tep_db_query("select 
						  p.pages_id, 
						  p.status,
						  s.pages_title, 
						  s.pages_html_text							   
						from 
						  " . TABLE_PAGES . " p LEFT JOIN " .TABLE_PAGES_DESCRIPTION . " s on p.pages_id = s.pages_id
						where 
						  s.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'
						and
						  p.pages_id = $infopageid");

$page_check = tep_db_fetch_array($page_query);
$breadcrumb->add($page_check[pages_title], tep_href_link('extra_info_pages.php?pages_id=' . $infopageid));

?>
<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html <?php echo HTML_PARAMS; ?>>
<head>
<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>
<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" topmargin="0" bottommargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0">
<!-- header //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header.php'); ?>
<!-- header_eof //-->

<!-- body //-->
<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="3" cellpadding="3">
 <tr>
<td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" valign="top"><table border="0" width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
<!-- left_navigation //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_left.php'); ?>
<!-- left_navigation_eof //-->
</table></td>
<!-- body_text //-->
<td width="100%" valign="top"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
  <tr>
	<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
	  <tr>
		<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo $page_check[pages_title]; ?></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td class="main"><?php echo stripslashes("$page_check[pages_html_text]"); ?></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2" class="infoBox">
	  <tr class="infoBoxContents">
		<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
		  <tr>
			<td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '1'); ?></td>
			<td align="right"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image_button('button_continue.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE) . '</a>'; ?></td>
			<td width="10"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '10', '1'); ?></td>
		  </tr>
		</table></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
</table></td>
<!-- body_text_eof //-->
<td width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" valign="top"><table border="0" width="<?php echo BOX_WIDTH; ?>" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
<!-- right_navigation //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_right.php'); ?>
<!-- right_navigation_eof //-->
</table></td>
 </tr>
</table>
<!-- body_eof //-->

<!-- footer //-->
<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'footer.php'); ?>
<!-- footer_eof //-->
<br>
</body>