• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

I have updated my Header Tags Controller from 2.6.3 to 3.1.2, and are having a few problems I can't figure out. (I'm using STS)

The default header tags are working fine on all sites.

In phpadmin I can see Header Tags Controller are writing to the database.

But...When I enter specific header tags for specific sites like shipping.php, conditions.php, contact_us.php it does not show up on the specific page. The pages only show the default header tags.

On pages like specials.php and index.php the header tags are shown perfectly.

If you go to page control and select conditions.php, is there text in entered in the various boxes? Are the default checkboxes unchecked? Have you ran the test routine?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

Thank you for your fast reply :-)

I get the following errors at the test page, but can't figure out, what's wrong. I have gone thougt the instructions quiet a few times and can't find solutions.

STS Error:

Required module entry, headertags.php, for STS not found. - [i throught I had installed it all, Witch part of the code is missing?]

The Header Tags head code for the index.php file cannot be found. - [i throught I had installed it all, Witch part of the code is missing?]

STS is running and the head code in the product_info.php file has Header Tags code installed, which is a mistake. [What part do I have to remove?]

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

STS is running and the head code in the product_reviews_info.php file has Header Tags code installed, which is a mistake.

STS is running and the head code in the product_reviews_write.php file has Header Tags code installed, which is a mistake.

STS is running and the head code in the specials.php file has Header Tags code installed, which is a mistake.

Database/File Mismatch Error:

The number of file entries in the database (100) do not match the number in the includes/header_tags.php file (6).

STS Error:

Required module entry, headertags.php, for STS not found. - [i throught I had installed it all, Witch part of the code is missing?]

This shouldn't be displaying since that code was, I think, disabled. Be sure you are using the latest Header Tags version.

STS is running and the head code in the product_info.php file has Header Tags code installed, which is a mistake. [What part do I have to remove?]

When STS is installed, the changes to the <head> section of the files should not be made. Read the Install_Catalog.txt file again for how it should be installed with STS.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

There are three code changes mentioned for STS in the installation file so you need to be sure those are done. Also, if you had STS installed before with an earlier version of Header Tags, you may have an entry in the options for STS in admin->Module. That should be deleted, although I think it causes a fatal error if left in so that is probably not the problem.

Jack

If you are referring to headertags.php, it's not in my modules anymore, but I still haven't been able to figure out how to fix things. I'll have to go over everything again to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

I have another question, though. I use your contribution on another site (without STS), and when I run the 'Test' it tells me that such and such titles are too short, but when I make them longer they get cut off to the length they had before (when they were supposedly too short). So I can enter a longer title, say 120 characters for a product (you suggest between 60 and 120), but on the actual page is shows as 80 characters long, and if I go back to the catalog in admin to edit the product, I see that the title has been cut off.

Any way to get this fixed? I'd love to have longer titles and descriptions...

Thanks!

Edited by jailaxmi

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

--King Crimson (“Discipline”)

Those lengths are just suggestions. You should read the previous posts on this subject as well as the help file. Also, there isn't anything in the Header Tags code to limit the length other than the size of the actual fields in the database. If you want to have longer entries, then you will need to change those sizes.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi! I have header tags installed and like the way the title shows on the main category index.php page.

On the subcategory page, the above title is displayed as well as the subcategory title in the top black banner. (I think it is a little too much displayed.) I was wondering if there was a way to show the description on the category (index.php) page instead - and not show the title in the banner?

Also, someone pointed out that my pages jump and suggested that I add a line break after each </a> to see if this solves the problem. I don't know if this started after I added header tags or not and was wondering if anyone has experienced this? Any suggestions? I tried adding <br> after the </a> on the product_info.pho - but it didn't make a difference.

Thanks in advance! micheleangle

Hi Jack,

While I was installing the latest and greatest version of your mod today. I was thinking it would be nice, if it were possible and not too difficult, to incorporate version numbers in the admin section of Header Tags SEO. That way we can see which version we currently have installed on our site and then can tell what we need to upgrade to.

Sometimes with all the mods, it's difficult to try to remember what is latest version(s) installed.

Just a suggestion. Great mod!

- Ken

Those lengths are just suggestions. You should read the previous posts on this subject as well as the help file. Also, there isn't anything in the Header Tags code to limit the length other than the size of the actual fields in the database. If you want to have longer entries, then you will need to change those sizes.

Jack

Thanks, Jack! I'll keep trying to figure out the other issues.

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

--King Crimson (“Discipline”)

Hi! I have header tags installed and like the way the title shows on the main category index.php page.

On the subcategory page, the above title is displayed as well as the subcategory title in the top black banner. (I think it is a little too much displayed.) I was wondering if there was a way to show the description on the category (index.php) page instead - and not show the title in the banner?

Also, someone pointed out that my pages jump and suggested that I add a line break after each </a> to see if this solves the problem. I don't know if this started after I added header tags or not and was wondering if anyone has experienced this? Any suggestions? I tried adding <br> after the </a> on the product_info.pho - but it didn't make a difference.

Thanks in advance! micheleangle

There's not a "top black banner" in a stock shop so I've no idea what you are referring to. But, in general, the title should appear the same on both category and sub-category pages. It sounds like you may have a template installed that has changed how those section display. If that is the case, it isn't something that can be handled in a support thread due to the number of possible variations.

Jumping is usually caused a difference in font sizes. If that is the case, you need to adjust the sizes in your stylesheet.css file. If the problem started after Header Tags was installed, then it would be the h1 and h2 classes that you would adjust. Since you don't know, you can try those first.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

While I was installing the latest and greatest version of your mod today. I was thinking it would be nice, if it were possible and not too difficult, to incorporate version numbers in the admin section of Header Tags SEO. That way we can see which version we currently have installed on our site and then can tell what we need to upgrade to.

Sometimes with all the mods, it's difficult to try to remember what is latest version(s) installed.

Just a suggestion. Great mod!

- Ken

It's a good suggestion and I've thought about doing it many times over the years. But it isn't something that is done automatically and if I forget to do it, it will be worse than now since it would then be showing what version it is (or thinks it is) and people having problems would report that as the version, which it really wouldn't be.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

AWESOME Contribution that I have seen so far and am in need of alittle assistance to one issue I have . Since installing the latest vers of this on my site my breadcrumbs have become broken. I am currently also using the STS Contrib with the Modern Template theme. But I have disabled that to check to see if the issue still shows up and it does.

But here is what I am seeing:

When at Homepage I See - Top > Catalog

When at a Top Level Category such as Hardware for instance I see - Top > Catalog >

When at a Secondarly Level Category such as Graphic Cards I see - Top > Catalog > >

So I am not really sure as to where to start looking for the mistake. I have looked in application-top.php and all looks good from what I can tell.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. I have searched about 20 pages here in this thread and couldn't find anything really resembling the issue or a correction.

Thanks much in advance.

Ron

Hello,

I've run into a small error of sorts. I have Easy Populate v2.76 installed along with the newest update of Header Tags SEO which is v3.1.2 and I can't get them to work together. They were working together before I upgraded Header Tags SEO (from v3.09) but now when I try to upload an EP file the v_products_head_keywords_tag_1 field doesn't properly update anything. No matter what I put in the keywords field it doesn't update the database with these values.

Make any sense? Can anyone give me a shove in the right direction?

Thanks for your help.

The two contributions have always worked together and I tested the latest version here without any problems so it must be something in your installation. The _1 in that field is the language being used so be sure you have a language with an ID of 1.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The two contributions have always worked together and I tested the latest version here without any problems so it must be something in your installation. The _1 in that field is the language being used so be sure you have a language with an ID of 1.

Jack

Yeah, they were working fine until just recently. English (1) is the only language I have available for my setup. I guess I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks for your help.

Jack,

I wonder if you could give me a quick thumbs up. I've come across a problem on how to install HeaderTags SEO 3.1.2:

I followed the Install_ReadMe_First instructions (part 1) in the download and executed successfully the file headertags_seo_install.php.

Following the instructions of Install_Catalog, though, I've noticed that the code I am supposed to alter is incorrect.

Here is what the instructions are:

======================================

3) In index.php

FIND (Around line 247)

?>

<td width="100%" valign="top"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>

REPLACE with

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id']))

$db_query = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_htc_title_tag as htc_title, manufacturers_htc_description as htc_description from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS_INFO . " where languages_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' and manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");

else

$db_query = tep_db_query("select categories_htc_title_tag as htc_title, categories_htc_description as htc_description from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

$htc = tep_db_fetch_array($db_query);

?>

<td width="100%" valign="top"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<tr>

<td><h1><?php echo $htc['htc_title']; ?></h1></td>

<?php /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>

==============================================

Here is what my original code is:

<tr>

<tr>

<td class="pageHeading">

<!--<?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?>-->

<?php

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {

$category_query = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_name from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " where manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");

$category = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query);

if ($category['manufacturers_name'] != "") {

echo $category['manufacturers_name'];

} else {

echo HEADING_TITLE;

}

} else {

$category_query = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

$category = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query);

if ($category['categories_name'] != "") {

echo $category['categories_name'];

} else {

echo HEADING_TITLE;

}

}

?>

</td>

==============================================

For some reason, similar code already exists. The only thing I've done is install/activate STS 4.5.8 in a fresh osCommerce 2.2-MS2 DB (Netfirms).

Can you tell me how I should proceed? Am I to replace all of it? Please note that the variables are quite different in the two code samples.

Many thanks...

Chris

Someone altered the code to load the titles from the database. That code would need to be replaced if you want to use that part of Header Tags but I can't tell you how to do it since it depends on the rest of the code. There is an index.php file included with the contribution that you can compare against using a compare program like WinMerge. If that is the only difference, then you can just use the included one.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello,

I think I'm beginning to understand the complexity of this contribution and how it operates. I'm wondering if there is a way to further control the way the tags are displayed on the product pages?

For example, when I set up the product_info.php page I check the category, manufacturer, and product boxes (in that order) and then proceed to fill the tags. This is how the description and keyword tags look after this process:

<meta name="Description" content="Category - Manufacturer - Description" />

<meta name="Keywords" content="Category , Manufacturer , Product" />

Is it possible to keep the keywords tag the way it is but have the description tag only show the description without the category and manufacturer in front of it?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks again Jack for this great contribution.

There's nothing the code that will allow that. You would need to edit the incldues/header_tags.php fille to change the way it works.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

There's nothing the code that will allow that. You would need to edit the incldues/header_tags.php fille to change the way it works.

Jack

That's definitely out of my league... but I appreciate the thought. I'll just abort mission. Thanks for your help.

Hi

I have nearly succeeded with Header tags but when I went to the Admin/Catalog to alter the description of an item I was presented with the blank 'New Product' page with the following warnings:

Warning: reset() [function.reset]: Passed variable is not an array or object in /home/sites/orientalshop.co.uk/public_html/shop/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 17

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /home/sites/orientalshop.co.uk/public_html/shop/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 18

Can anyone help point me at what might have caused this?

many thanks

Read the troubleshooting instructions in the doc files.

Jack

Of course I should have done this first :rolleyes:

I eventually replaced my categories.php with yours and of course that problem went. However I think it was because I was trying to merge a 'sort order' contribution which was working well along with yours into the categories.php and I guess that was what broke it. I'll have to try again tomorrow. Thanks for your work - seems good to this osc newbie.

i installed featured products and then i installed header tags seo, among other things, to get the ability to put text on subcategory pages, but on one of them the text is showing up twice, and i can't figure out why.

the text is appearing sometimes between

<-- featured_products_eof //-->

and

<-- body_text_eof //-->

on /catalog/index.php - i.e. it appears on one subcategory, and nowhere else.

my guess is that it has to do with the fact that the category that it shows up on has both featured products <i>and</i> manufacturers and all of the other pages only have featured products.

is there some way to set this so that the text added by header tags seo only shows up once on that page?

Edited by salamandir

⇑ Hybrid Elephant ⇒ http://www.hybridelephant.com/ ⇐ The World's Finest Exotic Incense ⇓