• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

sitemap_class.php is part of Google XML sitemap contrib. I will check the install to see if it is done correctly. Is there anything I would need to do in Hear Tags SEO?

sitemap_class.php is part of Google XML sitemap contrib. I will check the install to see if it is done correctly. Is there anything I would need to do in Hear Tags SEO?

That file belongs in the googlesitemap directory, not the root.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I installed your contribution on a site that uses STS. Everything seems to be working properly, except that when I click on 'Test' to check any errors or duplicates, etc., nothing shows at all. The page loads correctly, but there are no messages at all about anything. Is this normal?

On the other site that I installed Header Tags SEO there is a bunch of messages saying that this title tag is too short, or too long, etc., but not on the site with STS.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by jailaxmi

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

--King Crimson (“Discipline”)

The test routines should run the same on an installation. Some messages will be different, depending upon the type of system installed, but the code for the length messages don't check if STS is installed or not. If everything else is working fine in the shop with regards to Header Tags, then maybe there are no length problems.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

That file belongs in the googlesitemap directory, not the root.

Jack

I don't have a googlesitemap directory. All the files are loaded on my root. Thats the way surfalot set it up. Should I have him fix it or can I prevent header tags from scanning this file?

I'm not aware of any googlemap contribution that places the files in the root but there may be one. You may want to check with him on that though. But even if it is right, Header Tags shouldn't be looking at that file unless Header Tags code has been added to it. If it has, it should be removed since you would not want that file to have meta tag information.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It appears you have a file in the root of your shop named sitemap_class.php, or something like that. Either you have a filename definition for it of FILENAME_SITEMAP.CLASS or Header Tags is trying to making a definition becuase one cannot be found. In either case, that definition is invalid. I am not aware of any contribution that has a file named sitemap_class that goes in the root directory so my guess is that that file shouldn't be there.

Jack

I think maybe it was you who did the site SEO appraisal for me - same name anyway :)

I was using breadcrumbs before and they worked fine - I replaced the code in application_top as instructed in the guide and thats the only thing to do with the breadcrumb that I have changed. I cant find any other references to breadcrumb in application top but there is a breadcrumb.php in includes/classes so might it be something in that?

The test routines should run the same on an installation. Some messages will be different, depending upon the type of system installed, but the code for the length messages don't check if STS is installed or not. If everything else is working fine in the shop with regards to Header Tags, then maybe there are no length problems.

Jack

Thanks! I'll just keep an eye on it... ;)

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

I think maybe it was you who did the site SEO appraisal for me - same name anyway :)

I was using breadcrumbs before and they worked fine - I replaced the code in application_top as instructed in the guide and thats the only thing to do with the breadcrumb that I have changed. I cant find any other references to breadcrumb in application top but there is a breadcrumb.php in includes/classes so might it be something in that?

Think I have sorted it now - when I was uninstalling my old meta tags contribution I removed this code as modifying it had been part of the install procedure in the instructions for the original meta tags contribution:

// include the breadcrumb class and start the breadcrumb trail
 require(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'breadcrumb.php');
 $breadcrumb = new breadcrumb;

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);
 $breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG, tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT));

Now I have re added that code in application_top.php it all works fine - thanks for replying Jack, nice to see a contribution owner still taking such an active interest in their contribution :)

WOrking my way through setting this up and I have another question - Im using Article Manager v1.5.6v1 and in article_info.php I cant get the article name to display in the page title, it simply says Article Info. Can this be done?

WOrking my way through setting this up and I have another question - Im using Article Manager v1.5.6v1 and in article_info.php I cant get the article name to display in the page title, it simply says Article Info. Can this be done?

You need to upgrade to version 1.57_1, which contains the code for Header Tags SEO.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Great Contribution!

I just wrote a tiny code to deal with canonical link tags. In this code the logic

- reads the URL

- knows the canonical link

- if URL = the canonical link, the code does nothing

- if the URL different than canonical link, the code ads the canonical link meta tag to the source

I think that should be the way Google intended this to work. I was concerned as to having canonical link on the items that have URL that is equal to canonical link, making sure Google does not get confused.

I am not a coder so this code was written only for product_info.php without other SEO modifications such as URL rewrites.

<?php /*** Begin Canonical TAG Mod***/ ?>
  <?php 
// first get products id from URL
$seeID = $_GET['products_id'];
// next get URL from URL
$url = "http://" . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] . $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];
// build canonical link you can modify, improve to suit your needs and mods
$canon = tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $seeID, 'NONSSL');
// compare actual URL to canonical link and if they differ
if ( $url !== $canon )
{
// insert the canonical link tag into header tags
echo '<link rel="canonical" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $seeID, 'NONSSL') . '" />'; 
// if they do NOT differ, that means Google is on the canonical link version of the page, no canonical link tag is inserted
}
?>
<?php /*** End Canonical TAG Mod Mod***/ ?>

I figured I will contribute the code here just in case you wanted incorporate it into your code.

Cheers!

Genie Livingstone

thanks for not spamming the forums

The code isn't setup to handle the model number. This has come up a few times and, as I recall, some code was posted that might allow that.

For the length error, that is a shortcoming of the script. The title of the product is 13 characters long as shown. But the final lenght is longer due to the other parts being added to the title. I'll have to work on that code to provide a more accurate length. In any case though, it is just a guess since google doesn't even define the length. If you see a length that is too long, then that should be looked at since it would be the minimum length. Other than that, just use it as a guide. The best solution is to check your google sitemap account to make sure none of them are being flagged.

Jack

Thanks again Jack,

How can I find the code to manage the product model? I think that the search in forum doesn't work properly or maybe I am a little bit clumsy. I have rad a lot of these topic and I can't find it.

About your last message, I don't understand this:

"If you see a length that is too long, then that should be looked at since it would be the minimum length. Other than that, just use it as a guide. The best solution is to check your google sitemap account to make sure none of them are being flagged."

Thanks again

Have a bit of a strange one (as always) some of my category titles are showing in H1 and some aren't which is somewhat strange as I've not changed anything on them and seems to be a random selection going either way. Anyone any idea?

Thanks again Jack,

How can I find the code to manage the product model? I think that the search in forum doesn't work properly or maybe I am a little bit clumsy. I have rad a lot of these topic and I can't find it.

About your last message, I don't understand this:

"If you see a length that is too long, then that should be looked at since it would be the minimum length. Other than that, just use it as a guide. The best solution is to check your google sitemap account to make sure none of them are being flagged."

Thanks again

I don't have a secret way of finding something in the thread. You can use the search box at the bottomof the page and enter "model number" (with the quotes) and it will return all such finds in this thread. It is just a matter of going through them at that point.

For the length, let's say the maximum lenght suggestion is 100 and that you have a product title that is 100 characters. If you have one of the options set, like include category title, then the length can only get longer. But the code doesn't check that so you would use 100 characters as the minimum to compare against. As for checking with google, you log in to your google sitemap account and look at the sitemap entries. If there are errors, they will indicate that. You click on the errors and see what they say. If there are length errors, then those need to be handled.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I have upgraded from Header Tags Controller version 2.6.3 to 3.0

I have installed version 3.0, but I can not get it to control my Header Tags.

Is it a problem, that I only have Language ID=4 and ID=5 (and no 1, 2, 3) in my setup. If so, how can I change my languages to ID=1 and ID=2 ?

Best regards,

Jesper

Hi,

I have upgraded from Header Tags Controller version 2.6.3 to 3.0

I have installed version 3.0, but I can not get it to control my Header Tags.

Is it a problem, that I only have Language ID=4 and ID=5 (and no 1, 2, 3) in my setup. If so, how can I change my languages to ID=1 and ID=2 ?

Best regards,

Jesper

As I recall, there was a problem with the languages in the initial releases. You should upgrade to the latest version to see if that fixes the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack

Hi Jack,

I did some tests with this to make sure everything was fine, but it's not. I purposely added long descriptions and stuff like that to check if anything changed in the 'Test' area, but it does not. I also noticed that in the product pages, nothing shows after “currently viewing:“ although ”currently viewing“ is there below the product description.

Any ideas where should I be looking to fix these errors?

Thanks!

Edited by jailaxmi

Not for the length problems. But the currently viewing problem was just recently fixed so be sure you are using the latest version and that you have made the changes to the STS files as required.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Not for the length problems. But the currently viewing problem was just recently fixed so be sure you are using the latest version and that you have made the changes to the STS files as required.

Jack

I have version 3.1.2. Any particular spot I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Edited by jailaxmi

There are three code changes mentioned for STS in the installation file so you need to be sure those are done. Also, if you had STS installed before with an earlier version of Header Tags, you may have an entry in the options for STS in admin->Module. That should be deleted, although I think it causes a fatal error if left in so that is probably not the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I have updated my Header Tags Controller from 2.6.3 to 3.1.2, and are having a few problems I can't figure out. (I'm using STS)

The default header tags are working fine on all sites.

In phpadmin I can see Header Tags Controller are writing to the database.

But...When I enter specific header tags for specific sites like shipping.php, conditions.php, contact_us.php it does not show up on the specific page. The pages only show the default header tags.

On pages like specials.php and index.php the header tags are shown perfectly.

Se BabyGear.dk

I'm pretty confused, so I hope for a little help :-)

Jesper