• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Try this. Go to Page Control and uncheck everything in the default section (right column) and update. Refresh the page to make sure nothing is set there. Then click on the left dropdown and select index.php. Type something in the Title string box. Click on the root checkbox and set the sort order to some unique value. Update it and refresh the page to make sure the settings are as described. Go to your home page and refresh it. If the text you just entered doesn't show up, then youv'e made a mistake in the installation.

Jack

Hi Jack,

I have tried and the problem still occur. I have checked the installation instruction one more time and its ok. Please be advise that the problem only occur with index.php in the Page control. allprods.php, for example, working correct. If i make changes in admin, changes are updated in headertags and headertags_default database tables, that mean, admin is corrected installed.

I have tried catalog/includes/header_tags.php to replace with with older version 3.0 but i get warning.

this is what i have in index.php regarding tags in title

<?php

// BOF: Header Tag Controller v2.6.3

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {

ob_start();

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');

$preventDuplicates->checkTarget(ob_get_clean());

echo $preventDuplicates->finalMeta . "\n";

} else {

?>

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

<?php

}

// EOF: Header Tag Controller v2.6.3

?>

I have also tried without duplicate module but same story.

i have no idea which way i have to searching anymore.

regards

Edited by goxy

You have some other contribution installed that is changing the Header Tags code. While that contribution may work fine, it isn't something I provide support for so I won't be able to help you. I suggest removng that contribution and getting Header Tags to work first. Then try adding it back in to find the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You have some other contribution installed that is changing the Header Tags code. While that contribution may work fine, it isn't something I provide support for so I won't be able to help you. I suggest removng that contribution and getting Header Tags to work first. Then try adding it back in to find the problem.

Jack

I will try...header tag 2.6.3 use to work correct and later is nothing installed ......i don't know what news can cause the problem in new header tags seo ...in every case is something wrong in index.php because all other file working correct

regards

You have to click the Default Title and Root checkbox's for index.php in Page Control.

Jack

ok now im completely confused

I have selected index.php from the Page control page

in the left box these are all empty:

Title:

Description:

Keyword(s):

Logo Text:

The folloiwing have checkboxes ticked

Default Title:

Default Description

Default Keywords:

Default Logo:

Category:

Manufacturer:

On the right side box i have the default tags filled:

Title: MyStore

Description: MyStore description

Keyword(s): MyStore keywords

Logo Text: MyStore

and the following checkboxes ticked

Group:

Category:

Manufacturer:

Product:

i click on the right hand side update button and all thats happening is the default title is being loaded and not the category title

so i currently get <title>MyStore -</title> in the source

so its putting in a - after the default title but not adding the category title to it

any ideas?

Hi,

i have installed the last version and now in the admin area i cannot list manufacturers!

I found out that the cause where in manufacturer.php, the modified query to list manufacturers: it was replaced by a left join like this: ... TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " m LEFT JOIN TABLE_MANUFACTURERS_INFO ... but by default the manufacturer_info table is empty!!

I had to create by hand the data into the manufacturers_info to list my manufacturers.

What's wrong? Should this info table be filled with installation for any language?

Fabien

Fabien

Edited by fabien44

I will try...header tag 2.6.3 use to work correct and later is nothing installed ......i don't know what news can cause the problem in new header tags seo ...in every case is something wrong in index.php because all other file working correct

regards

Hi Jack,

I have resolved the problem with meta tags on index.php. i couldn't update meta tags only for the index.php. i have installed "Root install /index.php fix" where define('FILENAME_DEFAULT', 'index.php'); has been changed to define('FILENAME_DEFAULT_HOME', 'index.php');

But the biggest problem with category title still exist :huh:

Jack,

Thanks for your earlier reply to my question I have sorted that problem out now and I must say that this contrib is fantastic!!

Just one question though..

Now that I have installed this I apprear to have an additional "Floral Fizzes" header appeared as shown in the photograph below - this occurs on all of the products within the database but not on the index page. I have look and read through the code (and I'm no expert!!) and I have found the code providing the lower "floral fizzes" (this is from the category descriptions contrib) and I know where the top one is generated (breadcrumb) but I can't find the middle one. Any ideas?

Untitled-2%20copy.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Steve

so its putting in a - after the default title but not adding the category title to it

Remove all text from the default section and uncheck all boxes in that section and Update. Then load index.php from the dropdown, type something into the title string, check category (not default category) and root and assign sort order numbers. If the category title doesn't show on a category page, then you either haven't ran Fill Tags or your installation is at fault.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

i have installed the last version and now in the admin area i cannot list manufacturers!

I found out that the cause where in manufacturer.php, the modified query to list manufacturers: it was replaced by a left join like this: ... TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " m LEFT JOIN TABLE_MANUFACTURERS_INFO ... but by default the manufacturer_info table is empty!!

I had to create by hand the data into the manufacturers_info to list my manufacturers.

What's wrong? Should this info table be filled with installation for any language?

That table shouldn't be empty if the manufacturers table is not empty since they each hold part of the manufacturers information, just like the categories and categories_description tables. Did you run fill tags on manufacturers? That should create entries for the Header Tags part.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Now that I have installed this I apprear to have an additional "Floral Fizzes" header appeared as shown in the photograph below - this occurs on all of the products within the database but not on the index page. I have look and read through the code (and I'm no expert!!) and I have found the code providing the lower "floral fizzes" (this is from the category descriptions contrib) and I know where the top one is generated (breadcrumb) but I can't find the middle one. Any ideas?

It would be in the index.php file, at least on a stock file. Maybe you duplicated a section of code by mistake.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Remove all text from the default section and uncheck all boxes in that section and Update. Then load index.php from the dropdown, type something into the title string, check category (not default category) and root and assign sort order numbers. If the category title doesn't show on a category page, then you either haven't ran Fill Tags or your installation is at fault.

Jack

Jack

Thanks it appears to be working now :)

Im not sure about the sort order you mention though?

And i assume if i want the stores title to display as well as the page or product title i need to manually add it to each page of the store?

also is there a way to sort order the dropdown list of pages so they are displayed alphabetically?

It works fine in any installation I've done, which is a considerable number, so I can only guess the version of php your server is using is causing the problem or there is something wrong with your installation.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It works fine in any installation I've done, which is a considerable number, so I can only guess the version of php your server is using is causing the problem or there is something wrong with your installation.

Jack

hrmm using php 5.2.9 and ive re-installed the files and database from scratch...same results

oh well will have to live with it

I have apparently too many entries in the database with the following message in 'Test';

The number of file entries in the database (20) does not match the number in the includes/header_tags.php file (6).

also

can anyone tell me how to remove items in the database (& find them)

many thanks

steve

Looks like something went wrong with the installation or you have some invalid file in the root directory that Header Tags can't handle. I suggest replacing the includes/header_tags.php file and running the uninstall and install files to start new on those. If the rest of the installation is correct, that will fix it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

When installing this contribution i did not change the code for the breadcrumb to show the model name because i did like the old one better. (Simply because I can have more keywords in the breadcrumb and title)

My question is the following:

Is there a way to have the title and breadcrumb more or less identical?

Now my breadcrumb is like this:

catalog -> main category -> sub category -> sub sub category -> sub sub sub category -> ...

What I would like is that the title tag will show

sub category -> sub sub category -> sub sub sub category -> ... - manufacturers name -> model number

Now my title tag shows only the deepest sub category and on the product info pages it shows the deepest sub category and the manufacturers name

any ideas on how to change this?

thanks!

hi, i have just replaced them and same thing happens when filling tags but i do have files in root like this ...shipping.php as it was a way to not get errors from files i wasnt using. what do you suggest to do with files i dont need, at the moment?

my main issue is also the wierd first few letters missing on any / all tags - any ideas

thanks

steve

No, the current code doesn't support that. I explained how to display the model, and maybe the categories, in previous posts though.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Works like a charm Jack! :D

I have made a small change, because I wanted the product model before my websites name, so second code is now

$sortOrder['title'][$pageTags['sortorder_root']] = $the_product_info['products_model'] . ' - ' . $pageTags['page_title'] ;

Thanks again Jack, your effort is much appreciated!

Paul

Try this instead. In includes/header_tags.php, find this line
	$the_product_info_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, pd.products_head_title_tag, pd.products_head_keywords_tag, pd.products_head_desc_tag, p.manufacturers_id from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on p.products_id = pd.products_id where p.products_id = '" . (int)$_GET['products_id'] . "' and pd.language_id ='" .  $languages_id . "'");

and change it to

$the_product_info_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, p.products_model, pd.products_head_title_tag, pd.products_head_keywords_tag, pd.products_head_desc_tag, p.manufacturers_id from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on p.products_id = pd.products_id where p.products_id = '" . (int)$_GET['products_id'] . "' and pd.language_id ='" .  $languages_id . "'");

Then find this line (a few lines down from the above)

$sortOrder['title'][$pageTags['sortorder_root']] = $pageTags['page_title'];

and change it to

$sortOrder['title'][$pageTags['sortorder_root']] = $pageTags['page_title'] . ' - ' . $the_product_info['products_model'];

I haven't tested it but I think it will do waht you want.

Jack

Jack

Thanks for your comments.

I have removed the ... in front of unused filenames and no change, certainly with the missing letters at the start of the tags

You mentioned previous posts that you 'Already' made comments and advice.. There are 117 pages in this thread - any chance you can point to the relevant comments or paste here, as im sure many comments get repeated

your Support for this product is appreciated