• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

I upload the headertags_seo.sql via PHPmyAdmin and i upload the headertags_seo_install.php in the same directory as index.php

After that i try to install and i get that.

What's wrong ?

The instructions state: "Update the database. There are two ways to do this:." While it doesn't explictly say so, that statement implies it is one or the other. You tried to perform both steps. You should be OK as it is now but if you want to be sure, you can run the uninstall script and then run one of the install scripts.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, I hope you can offer suggestions to help. I have double and triple checked all associated files to correct any installation errors and cannot get HTS to work when STS is activated. The code for Files for normal template is changed to sts_user_code.php;headertags.php in both default and index templates and I strictly followed the instruction, skipping step 1 and making the changes of 1a.

When STS is activated, the page titles all read Untitled 1, but without STS, HTS works perfectly. Can you think of any common reasons that it would not be working? I'm sure its something obvious that I am just not seeing.

Jack, I see too that you may have a resource that I could pay to fine tune my site. If you wouldn't mind IMing me and letting me know too, I would appreciate it. I am about to hire an SEO firm but want everything to be fine tuned before they get started.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks

Larry

If STS works perfectly without STS running, then you've made a mistake because for that to happen, you would have had to have added the code to the head section and that is not correct for STS shops. If you run the test routine, it should tell you this.

I've PM'ed you about the SEO.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

If STS works perfectly without STS running, then you've made a mistake because for that to happen, you would have had to have added the code to the head section and that is not correct for STS shops. If you run the test routine, it should tell you this.

I've PM'ed you about the SEO.

Jack

I ran the test and double checked all of the pages. There is no HTS header tages on any pages after running the test. I know there has to be a misplacement of code somewhere that I'm just not seeing. I received your PM and have replied. Thank you.

I ran the test and double checked all of the pages. There is no HTS header tages on any pages after running the test. I know there has to be a misplacement of code somewhere that I'm just not seeing. I received your PM and have replied. Thank you.
You need to look over it again since it can only work correctly in one mode (STS or non-STS). If nothing else, the test would fail as you switched modes.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi there,

Ok, I've installed this Header Tags SEO V 3.0. Problem.

When I add the following to admin/includes/column_left.php

Add to admin/includes/column_left.php before the closing ?>

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/
require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'header_tags_seo.php');
/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

I get the following error appear on my admin panel:

error.jpg

Could anyone explain please? Also a quick note, I don't see any 'Test' button under Header Tags SEO in admin..

It means you didn't complete the installation instructions for the admin section. See the Install_Admin.txt fie.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I get this after doing the catalog section

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_IS_IDENTICAL in /mnt/w0907/d31/s11/b02cbc38/www/domains/datsports.com/dev/catalog/index.php on line 74

when I try to load up the catalog.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I get this after doing the catalog section

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_IS_IDENTICAL in /mnt/w0907/d31/s11/b02cbc38/www/domains/datsports.com/dev/catalog/index.php on line 74

when I try to load up the catalog.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Remove all of the changes from the index.php file and make them one at a time until the problem area is found or fixed.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack,

i have no more problem with the categories.php file (thank you very much,

a mistake in the code with one more <?php.......} ?>).

Now the only problem result with the test:

Test Results

Missing Code in File

The Header Tags head code for the product_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found.

may be you know a tip for that ?

Regards.

Hello,

I would like to propose the following changes to introduce canonical url link into header_tags, to help reduce the duplicate_content problems.

Changes need to take place in includes/header_tags.php as follow:

After

case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_DEFAULT) or strstr($PHP_SELF,FILENAME_DEFAULT)):

Add

// Canonical URL add-on
$canonical_url = tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath='.$current_category_id);

After

default: $filename = FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO;
}

Add

// Canonical URL add-on
if ($_GET['products_id'] != '') {
	$canonical_url = tep_href_link($filename, 'products_id='.$_GET['products_id']);
}

After

case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_SPECIALS) or strstr($PHP_SELF,FILENAME_SPECIALS)):

Add

// Canonical URL add-on
  	$canonical_url = tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS);

After

$header_tags_array['keywords'] = tep_db_prepare_input($defaultTags['default_keywords']);

Add

$canonical_url = tep_href_link($PHP_SELF);

Before

echo '<!-- EOF: Header Tags SEO Generated Meta Tags -->' . "\n";

Add

if ($canonical_url !='') echo ' <link rel="canonical" href="'.$canonical_url.'" />'. "\n";

Obviously similar changes will need to be done for any special pages you may have using parameters.

Since i do not know if Jack_mcs has another version in the work I prefer to post this add-on here for the time being, for open discussion.

Hello Jack,

i have no more problem with the categories.php file (thank you very much,

a mistake in the code with one more <?php.......} ?>).

Now the only problem result with the test:

Test Results

Missing Code in File

The Header Tags head code for the product_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found.

may be you know a tip for that ?

Regards.

It means you didn't install the changes in the head section of those files as explained in the installation file.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Also found that the file making the page go like this is indeed shop/product_info.php.

It means you made a mistake in the changes for that file. See earlier posts on how to troubleshoot it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It means you made a mistake in the changes for that file. See earlier posts on how to troubleshoot it.

Jack

Thanks Jack. I've found that its this bit of code that produces the horrible spacing:

FIND (around line 240)

</table></form></td>
<!-- body_text_eof //-->

ADD ABOVE it:

<?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>
  <tr>
   <td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
   <td class="smallText" align="center"><?php echo TEXT_VIEWING; ?> 
   <?php echo '<a title="' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $product_info['products_id'], 'NONSSL') . '"/# ' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '">' . $header_tags_array['title']; ?></a></td>
  </tr>
  <?php /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>

So instead of above </table></form></td> I've placed it above:

</table></td>
 </tr>
</table>
<!-- body_eof //-->

..nearer the bottom of product_info.php. Is this ok?

Most of the changes I go to make I can't find the text using the find tool, I have to scope it out myself then make the changes, any idea why that is the case?
It most likely means you have a template installed where they have altered the basic code. It is a common problem with templates.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

More or less. Some templates have heavily modified files and it is difficult to get the Header Tags coe working. Others just have it changed a little. In either case, there is no way to cover the necessary changes in a support thread due to the large number of possibilities.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I have installed, and re-installed, and then, re-installed this contribution trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. The problem is that the products are not being listed. The categories, and sub-categories, are there. The link even says how many products there are, but none are listed. Where do I look? What am I looking for? Surely, I just have it blocked out, or something.

Diana

Well, I re-installed yet again, and this time... it worked! :D The problem was actually another contribution that I had installed previously. Now, I can't seem to get Ultimate SEO URLs to work, but, I realize, that's a story for a different thread...

Diana

Hi Jack. I was wondering if you were still maintaining and providing support for your Header Tags SEO contribution for osCommerce.

We're using osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC2a, and I'm having a difficult time deciphering the instructions for it. Rather than wading through the 113 pages in this thread, .. I'm hoping that maybe you could help me by maybe answering a few questions:

1) Do I still need to run the "headertags_seo_update.sql" sql script (or run the "headertags_seo_install.php" script) for my osCommerce version -- considering that this is a first-time attempt at an installation of the contribution? (I am not upgrading from a previous version)

2) Do I need to install any patches for my particular version of osCommerce, and if so, .. which patches do I need to install?

2) What are "STS" and "BTS" users? How can I determine if I'm running either of those osCommerce versions?

3) Am I supposed to copy all of the files within the "catalog_for_new_shop_only_RC2" folder into the "catalog" folder of my osCommerce store, ... and will that overwrite any of the existing files? --- Or -- do the files inside the "catalog_for_new_shop_only_RC2" folder already contain all of the code revisions that are outlined in your instructions? In other words -- do I NOT have to apply any of the code revisions you've outlined if I allow my existing files to be overwritten with your updated files?

Thanks!

- Yvan