• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Hello,

How can I figure out if I have a BTS or STS oscommerce shop?

Best regards,

Paulo

A BTS shop has a templates directory in the root. A STS shop has a STS directory in the includes directory.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Is it possible to put the header category description/title into the product information pages also for this contribution.

So it shows category information for that product?

It is possible to be code but the contribution doesn't have the code in place for it.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your work!

Bug (?) Report:

I took a look at the generated html for a product_information page.

I found this in the headertags:

<meta name="Description" content="Gambeson "Leopold"" />

The fact that I have a product with quotes (") in the name messes up the html.

In this case the product name was: Gambeson "Leopold"

Please make a release with a fix for this.

My own solution looks like this and I'm quiet sure that's the way to go:

in catalog/includes/header_tags.php replace:

echo ' <meta name="Description" content="' . $header_tags_array['desc'] . '" />' . "\n";
echo ' <meta name="Keywords" content="' . $header_tags_array['keywords'] . '" />' . "\n";

with:

echo ' <meta name="Description" content="' . htmlspecialchars($header_tags_array['desc']) . '" />' . "\n";
echo ' <meta name="Keywords" content="' . htmlspecialchars($header_tags_array['keywords']) . '" />' . "\n";

The same type of error exists in catalog/product_info.php where

<a name="<?php echo $header_tags_array['title']; ?>"></a>

Should be replaced with:

<a name="<?php echo htmlspecialchars($header_tags_array['title']); ?>"></a>

It might also exist elsewhere. I guess you would know better than me. :)

Regards Olof Larsson

Hi

Hope someone can help me. I have an installation which is pretty unmodified, ie very few contributions added. I wanted to keep it clean until I got the main ones installed for SEO.

The database was created using a version of OSC last January. I reinstalled in July this year and copied over my database. Everything works fine except I get errors when trying to create product attributes. I am unable to resolve these as my posts do not get answered.

Thats the background to my database which may be relevant to my problem with headertags.

I started the install using headertags_seo_install.php. It immediately throw up the following error:

1005 - Can't create table '.\theinkjetmarket\headertags_default.frm' (errno: 121)

CREATE TABLE headertags_default (default_title varchar(255) default NULL, default_description varchar(255) default NULL, default_keywords varchar(255) default NULL, default_logo_text varchar(255) default NULL, default_logo_append_group tinyint(1) default 1 NOT NULL, default_logo_append_category tinyint(1) default 1 NOT NULL, default_logo_append_manufacturer tinyint(1) default 1 NOT NULL, default_logo_append_product tinyint(1) default 1 NOT NULL, meta_google tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL, meta_language tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL, meta_noodp tinyint(1) default 1 NOT NULL, meta_noydir tinyint(1) default 1 NOT NULL, meta_replyto tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL, meta_revisit tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL, meta_robots tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL, meta_unspam tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL, language_id int DEFAULT '1' NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (default_title, language_id), KEY idx_default_title (default_title))

[TEP STOP]

Again this is a database error and I dont have any knowledge in this area to know where to start.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Garry

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your work!

Bug (?) Report:

I took a look at the generated html for a product_information page.

I found this in the headertags:

<meta name="Description" content="Gambeson "Leopold"" />

The fact that I have a product with quotes (") in the name messes up the html.

There's already in code in place to remove such tags. Are you using the latest version? If so, were the descriptions already in place when you installed the latest Header Tags, i.e., via an update? If so, then you will need to either run Fill Tags or go to the products edit page and save it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

1005 - Can't create table '.\theinkjetmarket\headertags_default.frm' (errno: 121)

That doesn't look like a normal error. I suggest running the uninstall script and trying again. If it fails, run the uninstall again and use phpmyadmin to load the sql file. If that fails, then there is something wrong with your database since that file should work no matter what.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

hi jack,

what would you recommend for someone who is still using the "Header Tag Controller v1.0". today i tried installing your HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.0.7, but i got error when uploading the headertags_seo.sql. it says something like "duplicate product_des_tag. or something like that. any suggestion would be highly appreciated. thank you.

-tashi

That doesn't look like a normal error. I suggest running the uninstall script and trying again. If it fails, run the uninstall again and use phpmyadmin to load the sql file. If that fails, then there is something wrong with your database since that file should work no matter what.

Jack

Thanks for that Jack.

It still did not work. Went into PHPMYADMIN and entered the following code into the SQL window:

CREATE TABLE headertags_default (default_title varchar(255) default NULL, default_description varchar(255) default NULL, default_keywords varchar(255) default NULL, default_logo_text varchar(255) default NULL, default_logo_append_group tinyint(1) default 1 NOT NULL, default_logo_append_category tinyint(1) default 1 NOT NULL, default_logo_append_manufacturer tinyint(1) default 1 NOT NULL, default_logo_append_product tinyint(1) default 1 NOT NULL, meta_google tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL, meta_language tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL, meta_noodp tinyint(1) default 1 NOT NULL, meta_noydir tinyint(1) default 1 NOT NULL, meta_replyto tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL, meta_revisit tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL, meta_robots tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL, meta_unspam tinyint(1) default 0 NOT NULL, language_id int DEFAULT '1' NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (default_title, language_id), KEY idx_default_title (default_title))

I still get the same error.

Have you got any ideas on what might be wrong. If it is any help I could easily zip and send the database files?

Garry

Thanks for that Jack.

It still did not work. Went into PHPMYADMIN and entered the following code into the SQL window:

Have you got any ideas on what might be wrong. If it is any help I could easily zip and send the database files?

Garry

Jack

Could it be someting to do with folder security. My folders all apppear to keep returning to read only.

The other factor to let youknow is that I am running th esite on a laptop with apache and mysql installed.

Regards

Garry

Hi all

I'm trying to install Header Tags SEO on a OsCommerce RC2 shop with STS 4.58 on a windows server (and localhost) and it always give me the following errors:

1/ on Test page, the Test result is:

Permissions Error:

Permissions settings for the C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/Pruebas/mendishop//includes/header_tags.php file appear to be incorrect. Change to 777

Missing Code in File

The Header Tags head code for the index.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found.

2/ on Page Control, right column works fine but left one not; after introducing data for any of the pages of the list I get the following error:

1366 - Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'sortorder_title' at row 1

insert into headertags (page_title, page_description, page_keywords, page_logo, append_default_title, append_default_description, append_default_keywords, append_default_logo, append_category, append_manufacturer, append_product, append_root, sortorder_title, sortorder_description, sortorder_keywords, sortorder_logo, sortorder_category, sortorder_manufacturer, sortorder_product, sortorder_root, page_name, language_id) values ('products new home', 'products new description', 'products new keywords1,keywords2', 'products logo text', '0', '0', '0', '0', '0', '0', '1', '1', '', '', '', '', '', '', '10', '1', 'product_info.php', '7')

[TEP STOP]

Could somebody give me an hand please?

Sébastien

Thanks for that Jack.

Garry

Hi Jack

Getting a bit further. I used first install option in your instructions. I imported headertags_seo.sql. This has created headertags_default.

However I now get this error:

Error

SQL query:

INSERT INTO configuration( configuration_id, configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added, use_function )

VALUES (

'', 'Automatically Add New Pages', 'HEADER_TAGS_AUTO_ADD_PAGES', 'true', 'Adds any new pages when Page Control is accessed<br>(true=on false=off)', '543', '3', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'true\', \'false\'), ', now( ) , NULL

);

MySQL said:

#1366 - Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'configuration_id' at row 1

Are we getting somewhere?

Regards

Garry

hi jack,

what would you recommend for someone who is still using the "Header Tag Controller v1.0". today i tried installing your HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.0.7, but i got error when uploading the headertags_seo.sql. it says something like "duplicate product_des_tag. or something like that. any suggestion would be highly appreciated. thank you.

-tashi

There is a conversion script but it is not good for all versions. I only supported it for the first few versions but it involved too much effort to keep that up. The best way is to use the uninstall and install scripts and then make all of the file changes as mentioned in the directions. But that will clear any tags you have in there. If you want to save those, then you will have to install the changes manually (which is the same in either case) and then use the update sql file. You will still lose whatever pages you have added but that is usually no more than a handful at most.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for that Jack.

That's strange that you get the same error since the one you mentioned isn't one phpmyadmin can output, to my knowledge. I don't know what could be causing that but it is beyond of the scope of this support thread.

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi all

I'm trying to install Header Tags SEO on a OsCommerce RC2 shop with STS 4.58 on a windows server (and localhost) and it always give me the following errors:

1/ on Test page, the Test result is:

Permissions Error:

Permissions settings for the C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/htdocs/Pruebas/mendishop//includes/header_tags.php file appear to be incorrect. Change to 777

Missing Code in File

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

2/ on Page Control, right column works fine but left one not; after introducing data for any of the pages of the list I get the following error:

1366 - Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'sortorder_title' at row 1

insert into headertags (page_title, page_description, page_keywords, page_logo, append_default_title, append_default_description, append_default_keywords, append_default_logo, append_category, append_manufacturer, append_product, append_root, sortorder_title, sortorder_description, sortorder_keywords, sortorder_logo, sortorder_category, sortorder_manufacturer, sortorder_product, sortorder_root, page_name, language_id) values ('products new home', 'products new description', 'products new keywords1,keywords2', 'products logo text', '0', '0', '0', '0', '0', '0', '1', '1', '', '', '', '', '', '', '10', '1', 'product_info.php', '7')

[TEP STOP]

Could somebody give me an hand please?

Sébastien

The errors are normal for a Windows/STS setup.

The database error indicates a problem with your database. Perhaps you upgraded to a new version and didn't make the correct database changes?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi

Hope someone can help me. I have an installation which is pretty unmodified, ie very few contributions added. I wanted to keep it clean until I got the main ones installed for SEO.

The database was created using a version of OSC last January. I reinstalled in July this year and copied over my database. Everything works fine except I get errors when trying to create product attributes. I am unable to resolve these as my posts do not get answered.

Thats the background to my database which may be relevant to my problem with headertags.

I started the install using headertags_seo_install.php. It immediately throw up the following error:

[TEP STOP]

Again this is a database error and I dont have any knowledge in this area to know where to start.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Garry

Do have the same error here! Try to install via phpmyadmin and also direct from headertags_seo_install.php and got the same error! For sure it about the way it ask to create the Databe... but I know nothing on that!

Christian

shootSOFT

Do have the same error here! Try to install via phpmyadmin and also direct from headertags_seo_install.php and got the same error! For sure it about the way it ask to create the Databe... but I know nothing on that!

Christian

shootSOFT

Here the error info

1171 - All parts of a PRIMARY KEY must be NOT NULL; If you need NULL in a key, use UNIQUE instead

[TEP STOP]

Ok back to normal...

For sure there is an error in the version 3.0.7 in the database script... just use the database script who was in the 3.0.6 version and every thing is perfect!

Tx

Christian

shootSOFT

Edited by shootsoft

The errors are normal for a Windows/STS setup.

The database error indicates a problem with your database. Perhaps you upgraded to a new version and didn't make the correct database changes?

Jack

Hi Jack,

First of all, thank you for this great contrib and for your help.

I've been looking the database but all fields are correct and correspond to the correct version of Header Tags SEO. I tried to enter data with something like:

INSERT INTO `headertags` ( `page_name` , `page_title` , `page_description` , `page_keywords` , `page_logo`, `append_default_title` , `append_default_description` , `append_default_keywords`, `append_default_logo`, `append_category`, `append_manufacturer`, `append_product`, `append_root`, `sortorder_title` , `sortorder_description` , `sortorder_keywords` , `sortorder_logo` , `sortorder_category` , `sortorder_manufacturer`, `sortorder_product`, `sortorder_root`, `language_id` )

VALUES ('privacy.php', 'New Home Page Title', 'new description', 'new keywords1,keywords2', 'new logo text', '0', '0', '0', '0', '0', '0', '1', '1', '0', '0', '0', '0', '0', '0', '10', '1', '1');

and it works fine. I have been replacing and verifying all files, but no way... It seems like if the header_tags_seo.php page wasn't sending the right instruction (or no data as ,", suggests, which could explain the incorrect integer error)... The only way to make it work is to mark ALL options and sort order numbers.

Sébastien

Hi

Just want to say I have highly modified shops and the new header tags seo it is fantastic I still have a few problems with my Pseudo pages: :rolleyes: but is not so important!

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

That's strange that you get the same error since the one you mentioned isn't one phpmyadmin can output, to my knowledge. I don't know what could be causing that but it is beyond of the scope of this support thread.

Jack

I am now getting moving. I transfered the site to the hosts server and the headertags install writes to the database okay now. I think I have installed okay but get the following errors when testing:

Test Results

Missing File Error:

Cannot find file home/public_html/catalog/admin/header_tags_seo.php.

Cannot find file home/public_html/catalog/admin/header_tags_fill_tags.php.

Cannot find file home/public_html/catalog/admin/includes/header_tags_seo_words.txt.

Cannot find file home/public_html/catalog/admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php.

Cannot find file home/public_html/catalog/admin/includes/boxes/header_tags_seo.php.

Cannot find file home/public_html/catalog/admin/includes/languages/english/header_tags_seo.php.

Cannot find file home/public_html/catalog/includes/header_tags.php.

Cannot find file home/public_html/catalog/includes/functions/clean_html_comments.php.

Cannot find file home/public_html/catalog/includes/functions/header_tags.php.

Cannot find file home/public_html/catalog/includes/boxes/header_tags.php.

Cannot find file home/public_html/catalog/includes/modules/header_tags_social_bookmarks.php.

Missing Code in File

Database/File Mismatch Error:

The number of file entries in the database (6) do not match the number in the includes/header_tags.php file (0).

I think it has something to do with my admin/includes/configure.php file?

In addition I have noticed in admin that my modules are missing and the catalog function cannot find the images directory.

I have placed the catalog folder in the root directory of my webspace. Obviousely index.psp is in there. so to get the site up I have to address it as:

www.theinkjetmarket.co.uk/catalog/index.php.

Here is a copy of my admin configure file, can you see anything wrong with it?

<?php

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://www.theinkjetmarket.co.uk');

define('HTTP_CATALOG_SERVER', 'http://www.theinkjetmarket.co.uk/catalog');

define('HTTPS_CATALOG_SERVER', 'http://www.theinkjetmarket.co.uk/catalog');

define('ENABLE_SSL_CATALOG', 'true');

define('DIR_FS_DOCUMENT_ROOT', '/home/public_html/catalog/');

define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/catalog/admin/');

define('DIR_FS_ADMIN', 'home/public_html/catalog/admin/');

define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/catalog/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG', 'home/public_html/catalog/');

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', 'images/');

define('DIR_WS_ICONS', DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'icons/');

define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_IMAGES', DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'images/');

define('DIR_WS_INCLUDES', 'includes/');

define('DIR_WS_BOXES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'boxes/');

define('DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'functions/');

define('DIR_WS_CLASSES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'classes/');

define('DIR_WS_MODULES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'modules/');

define('DIR_WS_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'languages/');

define('DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES', DIR_WS_CATALOG . 'includes/languages/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/languages/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'images/');

define('DIR_FS_CATALOG_MODULES', DIR_FS_CATALOG . 'includes/modules/');

define('DIR_FS_BACKUP', DIR_FS_ADMIN . 'backups/');

Regards

Garry

Test Results

Missing File Error:

Cannot find file home/public_html/catalog/admin/header_tags_seo.php.

There's no username in the path so it would seem your configure file is incorrect. Please post that question in the general support forum since it doesn't have to do with Header Tags.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

I have installed this contribution and everything seems to be working fine except for my categories no longer display my products. They are there, you can view them through search but the categories bring back nothing. I have narrowed it down to the index page, but do not know where to look for the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Pam Wylie

Hi Jack,

I have installed this contribution and everything seems to be working fine except for my categories no longer display my products. They are there, you can view them through search but the categories bring back nothing. I have narrowed it down to the index page, but do not know where to look for the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Pam Wylie

Products are only shown by the products_info page so you most likely made a mistake on those changes. Restore your original and make the changes one at a time to see where the failure occurs.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack,

Is this scenario possible with Header Tags SEO?

On most competitor's websites that sell the same products as myself, I've noticed the same things when I view the page source. This is how their meta tags are set up or generated:

<title>Artist CD Title</title>

<meta name="description" content="Artist CD Title on sale for $9.99 at [website] then it gives an excerpt from the actual description">

<meta name="keywords" content="Artist CD Title followed by a list of keywords">

(1) To me that is a strange generation of meta tag content

(2) Obviously it works because all the competitor's I compared were on the first two pages of Google's search results. I used to have better or just as good placement.

I know that doesn't substitute for well written content and good page structure.

I guess another question would be how SE bots read webpage content? Left to right, top to bottom as humans do or in some specially programmed manner.

Would that be a possible solution to the duplicate content issue I've been concerned about in the other forum? I'm trying to get my website ready for the holiday season and want it to be in good shape. Also, it seems my website is being visited by googlebot often and its constantly updating content daily.

Thanks for any help and/or guidance.