• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

HI

I add the htc to my shop. and got error in my new_product page

PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare do_magic_quotes_gpc() (previously declared in D:\hshome\macharbo\macharbooks.com\myshop\includes\functions\compatibility.php:18) in D:\hshome\macharbo\macharbooks.com\myshop\includes\functions\compatibility.php on line 30

please help -

This isn't the support thread to HTC. Plus the problem you are having has to do with your shop rather than the contribution. You'll need to locate the reason for the duplicate code.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

It is a known problem and will be fixed in the next release.

Jack

Just wanted to say thanks for responding. I'm sure you are very busy, and I will happily wait for the next release. On another note, I installed seo-g contribution right after, and it worked beautifully, the only problem, as I said, is the bug. Just thought other users of this awesome mod would like to know that. Thanks again Jack. :) :) :)

Hi Jack, thanks for the contribution!

I've just installed your great module, and works mainly very well as I expected it, but I've found one part that I could not solve yet: product_info page doesn't show your header tags only those that are predefined in STS class file.

I have a shop that was installed by a friend who works now abroad, so I'm not sure of the versions, but I think it is MS2 with STS v2.x.

All the pages show the header informations correctly but the product_info.php. One thing I've found is that it has something with STS product info content template file (catalog/includes/sts_templates/shop_template/content/product_info.php.html). It has a custom product info page content. The file starts with this code:

<?php DEFINE ('STS_CONTENT_END_CHAR', '$'); ?>

If I rename this file to something temporarily, the original OSC product_info content part comes up, and every header tag works as hoped.

Do you have any idea what to set differently to make the header tags work the same way like on other pages with this STS content file?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

PS.: Some modifications I've made to meet my needs, might worth to consider at least noting in the install texts (if not mentioned earlier):

- I've run the db install script, but it created latin encoded tables. (Maybe bad settings of my db provider?) I've set them manually to utf-8.

- I wanted longer keyword part, so changed VARCHAR(255) to TEXT.

You have to add the header tags entry in the admin module settings. Other than that, assuming the instructions were followed, it should work. Although that version of STS is old so it may not apply to what I just said. You should ask in the STS support thread to determine that.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

You have to add the header tags entry in the admin module settings. Other than that, assuming the instructions were followed, it should work. Although that version of STS is old so it may not apply to what I just said. You should ask in the STS support thread to determine that.

Jack

Thank you very much for the quick reply, that did the trick!

I've added in section MODULE_STS_PRODUCT_INFO_TITLE only to "Files for normal template", but it should've done also (only?) to "Files for content template".

Thank you again!

Hi

first of thanks for the great mod...

I just installed this ... and its looking pretty impressive

And that brings me to my question, initially I installed it because I was looking in the contributions and boards for something that will allow me to add a custom description the each category

and the overall consensus was to go with your mod.....

The install info was quite well detailed and the couple of small issues i had were easily fixed after searching this thread.... but Im finding Im having a harder time actually using it

I dont see alot of info on how to actually do that..... not sure if i need a different thread... or is there a user manual somewhere.....

as example....what i installed it for in the first place....... how would I go about adding a custom description to each category?

I dont have a clue where to start to do that, and im not really finding anything in this thread.

Any help would be much appreciated

Bren

as example....what i installed it for in the first place....... how would I go about adding a custom description to each category?

Go to admin->Catalog. Click edit for one of the categories and enter the text you want for the description in the bix box at the bottom. Save it and display that category on your shop.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello,

I have now added your contribution to a couple of shops and I am hitting a recurring problem in the administration side.

Basically, when choosing the Add New Page functionality, nothing happens.

Also if I then try to choose Select a File again in the drop down, I get the following error:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 10 seconds exceeded in /home/www/25cfe5b63d9a42bb468f3a2c805e00f0/web/development/w3c/admin/header_tags_seo.php on line 276

I have tried this on 3 different servers, each with their own settings but always get the problem. A friend of mine also get this problem on is local server (it was him who pointed me out the issue to start with).

Any ideas?

There is probably some file in the root that is causing the problem, although I can't imaging what it would be. If you are on a test shop, try deleting all of the files from the root and then add them one at a time, trying the Add Page selection each time.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Tried this.

Add missing pages was still not doing anything with no files in the root.

I then added product_info.php then account.php and got a similar error:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 10 seconds exceeded in /home/www/25cfe5b63d9a42bb468f3a2c805e00f0/web/demoshop/admin/header_tags_seo.php on line 274 :(

hi jack,

first i have to thank you for this great contribution.

i have installed Header Tags SEO Version 3.0.4 with no errors, but i have a problem to show the categories and manufacturers name in the title. the title tags are saved in the db after i have made fill tags in the admin section but it doesnt show in the storefront.

My OSC version based on rc2.

I have installed only 1 contribution named Ultimate SEO URLs.

Thats all.

do you have any idea, where i make a false in the installation or where i can search the failure?

thanks for help.

peehdee

Tried this.

Add missing pages was still not doing anything with no files in the root.

I then added product_info.php then account.php and got a similar error:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 10 seconds exceeded in /home/www/25cfe5b63d9a42bb468f3a2c805e00f0/web/demoshop/admin/header_tags_seo.php on line 274 :(

That maximum execution message is usually 30 seconds so I suppose it is possible you, or your host, have it set so low that it is causing a problem. Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

hi jack,

first i have to thank you for this great contribution.

i have installed Header Tags SEO Version 3.0.4 with no errors, but i have a problem to show the categories and manufacturers name in the title. the title tags are saved in the db after i have made fill tags in the admin section but it doesnt show in the storefront.

My OSC version based on rc2.

I have installed only 1 contribution named Ultimate SEO URLs.

Thats all.

do you have any idea, where i make a false in the installation or where i can search the failure?

thanks for help.

peehdee

This is a fairly common problem for some reason. Troubleshooting steps have been gone over several times in the thread so I suggest you read backwards through it and try the steps mentioned.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I assume you mean the name of the manufacturer is displaying. If so, then it is working correctly. If the manufacturer isn't showing on a category page, then the only other thing it could be, short of an installation error, is that you don't have the Include Manufacturer box checked for the index.php file in Page Control.

Jack

Hi again Jack,

I reinstalled the contrib. and I continue with the same problem... the manufacturer doesn't appear on the tittle...

I don't know the way to get it...

Thanks so much¡

This is a fairly common problem for some reason. Troubleshooting steps have been gone over several times in the thread so I suggest you read backwards through it and try the steps mentioned.

Jack

hi jack,

thank you for your answer.

Before i have wrote this post, i have searched for solutions.

my english is not so good and its hard for me to find the right post, because this thread is over 36 sites long.

maybe you or anyone else can give me a link to the right post.

in the meantime of course i search a solution in this forum. ;-)

peehdee

Hi again Jack,

I reinstalled the contrib. and I continue with the same problem... the manufacturer doesn't appear on the tittle...

I don't know the way to get it...

Thanks so much¡

There's really no much difference between the manufacturers and categories code. If the latter displays, then itis something to do with your manufacturers tables or the code. The table entries are in admin->Catalog->Manufacturer and the code is in index.php.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

hi jack,

thank you for your answer.

Before i have wrote this post, i have searched for solutions.

my english is not so good and its hard for me to find the right post, because this thread is over 36 sites long.

maybe you or anyone else can give me a link to the right post.

in the meantime of course i search a solution in this forum. ;-)

peehdee

The following only applies to a standard oscommerce shop. If you are using STS or BTS, it may or may not apply.

- Check the admin->catalog for the categories to make sure the tags are actually filled in.

- Upload the includes/header_tags.php file again - yours may be damaged.

- Go over the changes made to index.php.

- Make sure the include categories option is set for the index page in admin->Header Tags SEO->Page Control.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

i have a problem with the ALT-tags at the categories images. If you click at a main category in the categories box, the category loads with the category image at the right. This image has an ALT-tag. Also the subcategory images below have ALT-tags.

But if i click at one of the subcategories with no other subs in it, than the image at the right appears without the ALT-tag. I've found the code in index.php for that:

<?php /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/ ?>
          <td align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $image, $category['categories_htc_title_tag'], HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>
         </tr>
         <?php if (tep_not_null($htc['htc_description'])) { ?>
         <tr>
          <td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?></td>
         </tr>
         <tr>
          <td colspan="2"><h2><?php echo $htc['htc_description']; ?></h2></td>
         </tr>
         <?php } 
         /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

Seems that $category['categories_htc_title_tag'] is not working. Can you imagine why?

Thank you in advance!

The contribution doesn't change the alt tag code other than to use the Header Tags name. So your sub-categories either don't have their tags filled in or there is something wrong with your installation. Try running fill tags and see if that helps. You can look at the tags in admin->catalog by editing a category.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The contribution doesn't change the alt tag code other than to use the Header Tags name. So your sub-categories either don't have their tags filled in or there is something wrong with your installation. Try running fill tags and see if that helps. You can look at the tags in admin->catalog by editing a category.

Jack

Thank you for your help!

Unfortunately fill tags not fixing this.

Seems that the variable is empty or cannot be handled by the script. I've tried to paste

<tr>
<td><?php echo $category['categories_htc_title_tag']; ?></td>
</tr>

behind the image line to figure out the problem. The result is an empty:

<tr>

<td></td>

</tr>

Any idea where to search for the fault?

Thank you in advance!

Carefully installed this today and it appears to be working--no error messages.

Great, excellent, step-by-step installation instructions, but "how_to_operate" wasn't detailed enough to let me understand the admin options, or indeed, whether the installation is working as intended. I'll try again tomorrow and see if it makes sense.

Seems to have overriden a previously installed contribution, FCKeditor WYSIWYG.

Also it replaced store logo file with the default oscommerce logo.

Carefully installed this today and it appears to be working--no error messages.

Great, excellent, step-by-step installation instructions, but "how_to_operate" wasn't detailed enough to let me understand the admin options, or indeed, whether the installation is working as intended. I'll try again tomorrow and see if it makes sense.

Seems to have overriden a previously installed contribution, FCKeditor WYSIWYG.

Also it replaced store logo file with the default oscommerce logo.

There are two steps to get the most out of it: run fill tags and change the home page tags, and optimize the pages for the selected keywords. The first is in the docs. The second is a matter of SEO and beyond the scope of the contribution. It provides a tool you will need to properly optimize your site but doesn't explain how to optimize it.

For the FCKEditor, it you copied the categories file, or copied the changes withough loking at the changes already in your file, then that is possible. The instructions and included files are for blank shops. Since yours was not blank, you have to adjust the code as needed.

For the logo, you probably copied the code change for includes/header.php without looking at the existing code. The code change for that file affects the line that tells it what logo image to load. That varies from shop to shop so you can't just replace the code.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

There are two steps to get the most out of it: run fill tags and change the home page tags, and optimize the pages for the selected keywords. The first is in the docs. The second is a matter of SEO and beyond the scope of the contribution. It provides a tool you will need to properly optimize your site but doesn't explain how to optimize it.

For the FCKEditor, it you copied the categories file, or copied the changes withough loking at the changes already in your file, then that is possible. The instructions and included files are for blank shops. Since yours was not blank, you have to adjust the code as needed.

For the logo, you probably copied the code change for includes/header.php without looking at the existing code. The code change for that file affects the line that tells it what logo image to load. That varies from shop to shop so you can't just replace the code.

Jack

Thanks Jack, appreciate your quick reply. I installed this without even knowing that SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. I don't think I'm ready for Ultimate SEO URL's yet. I need to get this site up and running. But it still appears that Header Tags SEO will be useful on its own.

With your previous comments, I should be able to find and fix the FCKEditor and the logo issue.

Roger

Thanks Jack, appreciate your quick reply. I installed this without even knowing that SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. I don't think I'm ready for Ultimate SEO URL's yet. I need to get this site up and running. But it still appears that Header Tags SEO will be useful on its own.

With your previous comments, I should be able to find and fix the FCKEditor and the logo issue.

Roger

Installing Ultimate SEO is extremely simple compared to installing this contribution so I wouldn't hesitate with installing that.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons