• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Keep up the great work!

Just checked with the original admin/categories.php file on my site. Seems I can't remove/erase the descriptions, keywords, or title. Maybe a bug? I erase the contents in the boxes hit save, then I go back and there still there :(

I think it's auto filling them, but can it be turned off?

Oh and is it just me, why are there 2 "Header Tags Categories Description"

Also, if you add category to the product_info.php page, in keywords you get an extra space.

So you have:

<meta name="Keywords" content="My Category , Product" />

NOT

<meta name="Keywords" content="My Category, Product" />

(Yeah it's being picky lol)

Another thing, if you have "&" in you cateogry title, it won't parse & to & in the meta tag so you can end up with:

<meta name="Description" content="Wine & Cheese - Product" />

NOT

<meta name="Description" content="Wine & Cheese - Product" />

Edited by dailce

I just checked. I think if you have keywords, then should all the keyswords flow like this:

word1, word2, word3, word4

I checked functions/header_tags.php and I think it would be better if you change all instances of:

' ' . HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_KEYWORD .

to just: HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_KEYWORD .

This way the keywords will be as above, and NOT:

The space before the Keyword separator isn't necessary, or is it?

Edited by dailce

I just checked. I think if you have keywords, then should all the keyswords flow like this:

word1, word2, word3, word4

I checked functions/header_tags.php and I think it would be better if you change all instances of:

' ' . HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_KEYWORD .

to just: HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_KEYWORD .

This way the keywords will be as above, and NOT:

The space before the Keyword separator isn't necessary, or is it?

It deosn't matter at all to the search engines but please feel free to make that change in your code.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Forgive me if I missed this info somewhere in here, I currently have Header Tags Controller V2.5.9 Complete installed and it I cant thank you enough for it as it has been great for me (with no problems) for the past few years.

My concern now is that my host is updating his server to I believe mysql 5 php5 and while I only have (4) contributions on my site that I am hopefully hoping they to wont break my question to you is once this transformation is done is the version I have instaslled going to break or should I be fine with what I have installed?

Please do be gentle with me as I am by no means a coding guru so if I do need to do something or if there is some code that needs to be done could you please and thank you point me in the direction.

Many Thanks

Lexi

not sure what ive done wrong here but i have just replaced an old version of the earlier header tags contrib with this new one and i get the following error on admin/header_tags_seo.php

Failed to open file: /home/USERNAME/public_html/header_tags_seo.php

(USERNAME replaces the account username for security)

i dont see any file of this name anywhere in the contribution files?

It doesn't sound like you did the update properly. Did you follow the update instructions?

If you mean you are upgrading from the Header Tags Controller, you have to perform the upgrade instructions for that named Update_from_V_2.6.3_to_V_3.0.0.txt.

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

It doesn't sound like you did the update properly. Did you follow the update instructions?

If you mean you are upgrading from the Header Tags Controller, you have to perform the upgrade instructions for that named Update_from_V_2.6.3_to_V_3.0.0.txt.

Jack

jack yes thanks it was a stupid mistake i made... uploading the admin files into the catalog

I have it all working now however i have an issue when i try and fill tags etc that mysql goes away and php times out

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 120 seconds exceeded in /home/XXXXX/public_html/admin/header_tags_seo.php on line 104

2006 - MySQL server has gone away

select count(*) as total from sessions where sesskey = '835f094f2c32ae007c351a2c99195871'

im running php 5.2.6 and MySQL 5.x and php has 96Mb allocated to a max process and 120 sec timeout...

any ideas whay this would be happening?

Edited by alba

jack yes thanks it was a stupid mistake i made... uploading the admin files into the catalog

I have it all working now however i have an issue when i try and fill tags etc that mysql goes away and php times out

im running php 5.2.6 and MySQL 5.x and php has 96Mb allocated to a max process and 120 sec timeout...

any ideas whay this would be happening?

That error is usually a server error. I suppose it could be a real failure though if you have a very large database. Try only selecting Fill All for one of the sections, like Categories or Manuacturers (whicever is smallest), and setting the other two to Skip All. If it still fails at that point, my guess is that it is a server issue.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I have had this add-on for a few weeks now and have just started to really look at it and play with it. What I'm trying to do is add unique meta tags and title tags to all of the pages in my website.

I'm having a problem when I am editing my products...

I see that there is a place to enter descriptions, titles, meta tags, etc... but none of it is working for me. First of all, the product names have disappeared entirely and I don't know how to get those back. I have filled in the meta tag information, descriptions etc.. for a few products just to test it out and none of it is working.

I right-click and View Page Source on my product pages and none of the information I've added is showing up.

any ideas?

First of all, the product names have disappeared entirely and I don't know how to get those back.

That means a mistake was made in the installation, specifically on the categories.php file. That needs to be fixed before looking at other problems since it can cause the ones you mention.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

error as:

1146 - Table 'vastseec_osc11.headertags_default' doesn't exist

select * from headertags_default where language_id = '1'

[TEP STOP]

Hello

I'm having the same issue, has it been fixed since then or nothing has been changed?

Am I doing something wrong?

Please help because I really want to change my "Let's see what we have here" in every single category that I make.

Thanks in advanced

Steven

Hi, I went through the install (database, catalog and then admin), and when I logged into the Admin Panel I clicked on Header Tags SEO -> Fill Tags and I get this error:

No Right Permission Access

Please contact your Web Administrator to request

more access or if you found any problem.

I made the header_tags.php file 755 and then 777 and nothing changed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello

I'm having the same issue, has it been fixed since then or nothing has been changed?

Am I doing something wrong?

Please help because I really want to change my "Let's see what we have here" in every single category that I make.

Thanks in advanced

Steven

You'll need to upload the database changes. If you have done that, you need to look at your database and verify the table is there.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

After some searching and some painstakingly long time trying to install this module with a BTS template can anyone else confirm that;

1) This is NOT compatible with BTS

2) There are no instructions for BTS implementation (BTS is NOT STS)

As far as categories and content pages, this is incompatible?

Great contribution, however if you're on BTS I don't see this happening for you and even though it explicitly says it does, there is no documentation or compatibility that I've seen.

That said, Awesome modification and essential SEO.

Please Jack change description to not include BTS compatibility if this is so.

Edited by misterbling

After some searching and some painstakingly long time trying to install this module with a BTS template can anyone else confirm that;

1) This is NOT compatible with BTS

2) There are no instructions for BTS implementation (BTS is NOT STS)

As far as categories and content pages, this is incompatible?

Great contribution, however if you're on BTS I don't see this happening for you and even though it explicitly says it does, there is no documentation or compatibility that I've seen.

That said, Awesome modification and essential SEO.

Please Jack change description to not include BTS compatibility if this is so.

It works fine on BTS systems. I've installed it on several myself. Granted, there aren't any instructions for it, but it will work.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You'll need to upload the database changes. If you have done that, you need to look at your database and verify the table is there.

Jack

The database that you mean is the ones in the folder, right?

What I did was I grab each one individually and uploaded them in the folder that they were in.

If thats what you mean, I did that already, and how do I verify that the table is there?

Thanks Jack! appreciate your time!

Steven

It works fine on BTS systems. I've installed it on several myself. Granted, there aren't any instructions for it, but it will work.

Jack

Jack,

I'll do a complete writeup for BTS install, if you would set me in the right direction. Please check your PM.

The database that you mean is the ones in the folder, right?

What I did was I grab each one individually and uploaded them in the folder that they were in.

If thats what you mean, I did that already, and how do I verify that the table is there?

Thanks Jack! appreciate your time!

Steven

Did you read the instructions where it says to upload one file? If you have done multiple uploads, I can't say what has happened, although I don't think it would have hurt it. You should run the headertags_seo_uninstall.php and then the headertags_seo_install.php files to clear the database and reload it properly.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Figured it out for BTS, so for those whom are struggling.

1) when categories are not showing up, but products are. Or vice versa uninstall HTC database tables then reinstall.

2) for individual pages to show up don't touch the templates, in the /catalog folder or / if in your root in each file you'd like to define add;

//*** Header Tags SEO ***//

Before

require('includes/application_top.php');

Oh and the only one place to put;

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/
if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {
 require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');
} else {
?>
 <title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<?php
}
/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

is in the header of;

/templates/'yourtemplate'/main_page.tpl.php

hey i just installed, everything seems great

i am using STS and was wondering how to get the meta tags to be displayed on the product template page? the $placeholder

anyone have experience with this?

thanks so much in advance.

hey jack, when I go into my admin section and select page control, then select add missing pages or select a file I get this error....Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/herblife/public_html/admin/header_tags_seo.php on line 274

2006 - MySQL server has gone away

select count(*) as total from sessions where sesskey = '979c013995b39a9e42711290f3c75988'

[TEP STOP]

what is causing this to happen???

Edited by herblife

There is a limit on the server that prevents a script from running more than 30 seconds (that's normal on shared servers). So the script is failing because it is taking too long. Even with a large number of pages, the script shouldn't time out so my guess is that it is failing on one of them for some reason. I suggest turing off the auto-add option in the settings and deleting the pages until it works (you may have to clear the database by running the uninstall and install scripts or you can do it manually in phpmyadmin if you are comfortable with that.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons