• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

OSC v2.2rc2a with STS v4.5.8 and Header Tags SEO v3.0.3

I am having a problem with the 'Display Column Box' feature. (Admin->Configuration->Header Tags SEO->Display Column Box->True)

The image above shows where this box is being displayed.

I am thinking it should have been displayed in the left column under the Information info box according to where the code is located.

How do I get this info box to display correctly in the left column? It is also missing a heading. Is this normal?

No, it's not normal. I hadn't noticed that problem but I see it is happening here in my test shop too. I will take a look at it at some point.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Did you apply the change I posted a few posts up?

Jack

Hey Jack thanks for responding....yes I did apply those changes that you suggested and I still receive the found missing tags.......also I wanted to ask you what is those update docs files for??? do need to install those any where???? and in the how to operate text doc...it says in # 4 that to click on admin then catalog and it says to go to product a click edit and on the right it should be a category where I can input a category description....but when I do that all I see is these words (down below) and no box to put description

Header Tags Category Title

Header Tags Category Description

Header Tags Category Keywords

Header Tags Categories Description

is this normal????

Hey Jack thanks for responding....yes I did apply those changes that you suggested and I still receive the found missing tags.......also I wanted to ask you what is those update docs files for??? do need to install those any where???? and in the how to operate text doc...it says in # 4 that to click on admin then catalog and it says to go to product a click edit and on the right it should be a category where I can input a category description....but when I do that all I see is these words (down below) and no box to put description

Header Tags Category Title

Header Tags Category Description

Header Tags Category Keywords

Header Tags Categories Description

is this normal????

The missing tags message means the title or meta tags are missing from the product (or category or manufacturer, as indicated). Currently, there is no way to show what those items are from admin, other than editing the code (I plan on adding that though). You can use phpmyadmin to search for the missing tags, if you know how to use it.

The update files are for updating from the Header Tags Controller contribution or from an earlier version of this one.

If you don't see boxes under those items on the category edit page, then a mistake was made during installation. Try testing with the included categories file and see if the boxes appear.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

The missing tags message means the title or meta tags are missing from the product (or category or manufacturer, as indicated). Currently, there is no way to show what those items are from admin, other than editing the code (I plan on adding that though). You can use phpmyadmin to search for the missing tags, if you know how to use it.

The update files are for updating from the Header Tags Controller contribution or from an earlier version of this one.

If you don't see boxes under those items on the category edit page, then a mistake was made during installation. Try testing with the included categories file and see if the boxes appear.

Jack

Ok the category boxes shows up if I click on new category...but not for the current products I have in my store....I guess i just have to make copies of my products to get the descriptions I want....but I reinstalled the product info codes and I still get the missing tag.....anyway what does this effect in my store???? because I dont know how to use phpmyadmin....I know where it is...but dont know how to search for missing tags (wish I did though....newbie syndrome) :blush:

Edited by herblife

No, it's not normal. I hadn't noticed that problem but I see it is happening here in my test shop too. I will take a look at it at some point.

Jack

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Can you let me know when you get a chance to find a fix?

After messing around with this, I think I found a few more bugs...

(Admin->Header Tags SEO->Page Control)

In the Meta Tags box, there is a bug in the 'Revisit', 'Robots', and 'UnSpam' features.

FIX:

catalog/admin/header_tags_seo.php

Line 337:

'meta_revisit' =>  ((isset($_POST[$metaOptionID[5]]) && $_POST[$metaOptionID[6]] == 'on') ? 1 : 0),
'meta_robots' =>   ((isset($_POST[$metaOptionID[6]]) && $_POST[$metaOptionID[7]] == 'on') ? 1 : 0),
'meta_unspam' =>   ((isset($_POST[$metaOptionID[7]]) && $_POST[$metaOptionID[8]] == 'on') ? 1 : 0),

Change to...

'meta_revisit' =>  ((isset($_POST[$metaOptionID[5]]) && $_POST[$metaOptionID[5]] == 'on') ? 1 : 0),
'meta_robots' =>   ((isset($_POST[$metaOptionID[6]]) && $_POST[$metaOptionID[6]] == 'on') ? 1 : 0),
'meta_unspam' =>   ((isset($_POST[$metaOptionID[7]]) && $_POST[$metaOptionID[7]] == 'on') ? 1 : 0),

Meta Tags are not generated in the source for 'index.php' and 'product_info.php'.

How do you get Meta Tags to generate in these two pages? The rest of the pages seem to generate Meta Tags.

In the Select an Option combo box, there are files missing from the list. (ex. 'login.php')

I clicked on 'Add Missing Pages', and it seems to be broken since login.php is still missing.

However, Meta Tags are generated in the source for 'login.php' using the 'Default Tags'.

How do you add a file (ex. 'login.php') to the Select an Option combo box?

Ok the category boxes shows up if I click on new category...but not for the current products I have in my store....I guess i just have to make copies of my products to get the descriptions I want....but I reinstalled the product info codes and I still get the missing tag.....anyway what does this effect in my store???? because I dont know how to use phpmyadmin....I know where it is...but dont know how to search for missing tags (wish I did though....newbie syndrome) :blush:
If you don't see the boxes then there is a mistake in the file. That should be fixed since there may be other parts that also wrong and they could cause problems later - make it more difficult to find. If the missing tags apply to an active product, then the search engines won't find and entry for that product and won't list it well. An update with some sort of option to view the missing products will be done in the not too distant future, I hope. For now, find the following in admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php
function CheckForMissingTags()
{
 $missingStr = '';
 $products_query = tep_db_query("select pd.products_head_title_tag, pd.products_description, pd.products_head_keywords_tag from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " .  TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on (p.products_id = pd.products_id) where p.products_status = 1 and (pd.products_head_title_tag = '' or pd.products_description = '' or pd.products_head_keywords_tag = '')");
 if (tep_db_num_rows($products_query) > 0)
$missingStr .= sprintf(ERROR_MISSING_TAGS_TYPE, 'Products', tep_db_num_rows($products_query));

$categories_query = tep_db_query("select categories_htc_title_tag, categories_htc_desc_tag, categories_htc_keywords_tag, categories_htc_description from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where categories_htc_title_tag = '' or categories_htc_desc_tag = '' or categories_htc_keywords_tag = ''");
 if (tep_db_num_rows($categories_query) > 0)
$missingStr .= sprintf(ERROR_MISSING_TAGS_TYPE, 'Categories', tep_db_num_rows($categories_query));

$manufacturers_query = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_htc_title_tag, manufacturers_htc_desc_tag, manufacturers_htc_keywords_tag, manufacturers_htc_description from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS_INFO . " where manufacturers_htc_title_tag = '' or manufacturers_htc_desc_tag = '' or manufacturers_htc_keywords_tag = '' or manufacturers_htc_description= ''");
 if (tep_db_num_rows($manufacturers_query) > 0)
$missingStr .= sprintf(ERROR_MISSING_TAGS_TYPE, 'Manufacturers', tep_db_num_rows($manufacturers_query));

return $missingStr;  
}

and replace it with

function CheckForMissingTags()
{
 $missingStr = '';
 $products_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, pd.products_name, pd.products_head_title_tag, pd.products_description, pd.products_head_keywords_tag from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " .  TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on (p.products_id = pd.products_id) where p.products_status = 1 and (pd.products_head_title_tag = '' or pd.products_description = '' or pd.products_head_keywords_tag = '')");
 if (tep_db_num_rows($products_query) > 0)
 {
while ($products = tep_db_fetch_array($products_query))
{
   echo 'Missing ' . $products['products_id'] . ' - ' . $products['products_name'].'<br>';
}
$missingStr .= sprintf(ERROR_MISSING_TAGS_TYPE, 'Products', tep_db_num_rows($products_query));
 }

$categories_query = tep_db_query("select categories_htc_title_tag, categories_htc_desc_tag, categories_htc_keywords_tag, categories_htc_description from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where categories_htc_title_tag = '' or categories_htc_desc_tag = '' or categories_htc_keywords_tag = ''");
 if (tep_db_num_rows($categories_query) > 0)
$missingStr .= sprintf(ERROR_MISSING_TAGS_TYPE, 'Categories', tep_db_num_rows($categories_query));

$manufacturers_query = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_htc_title_tag, manufacturers_htc_desc_tag, manufacturers_htc_keywords_tag, manufacturers_htc_description from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS_INFO . " where manufacturers_htc_title_tag = '' or manufacturers_htc_desc_tag = '' or manufacturers_htc_keywords_tag = '' or manufacturers_htc_description= ''");
 if (tep_db_num_rows($manufacturers_query) > 0)
$missingStr .= sprintf(ERROR_MISSING_TAGS_TYPE, 'Manufacturers', tep_db_num_rows($manufacturers_query));

return $missingStr;  
}

That should display the products ID and name at the top of the header tags page in admin. You will then need to find that product and see what it is missing.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Can you let me know when you get a chance to find a fix?
The notice of the update and what it fixes will be posted here or you can check the contribution section.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

After messing around with this, I think I found a few more bugs...

In the Meta Tags box, there is a bug in the 'Revisit', 'Robots', and 'UnSpam' features.

FIX:

catalog/admin/header_tags_seo.php

Line 337:

'meta_revisit' =>  ((isset($_POST[$metaOptionID[5]]) && $_POST[$metaOptionID[6]] == 'on') ? 1 : 0),
'meta_robots' =>   ((isset($_POST[$metaOptionID[6]]) && $_POST[$metaOptionID[7]] == 'on') ? 1 : 0),
'meta_unspam' =>   ((isset($_POST[$metaOptionID[7]]) && $_POST[$metaOptionID[8]] == 'on') ? 1 : 0),

Change to...

'meta_revisit' =>  ((isset($_POST[$metaOptionID[5]]) && $_POST[$metaOptionID[5]] == 'on') ? 1 : 0),
'meta_robots' =>   ((isset($_POST[$metaOptionID[6]]) && $_POST[$metaOptionID[6]] == 'on') ? 1 : 0),
'meta_unspam' =>   ((isset($_POST[$metaOptionID[7]]) && $_POST[$metaOptionID[7]] == 'on') ? 1 : 0),

Meta Tags are not generated in the source for 'index.php' and 'product_info.php'.

How do you get Meta Tags to generate in these two pages? The rest of the pages seem to generate Meta Tags.

In the Select an Option combo box, there are files missing from the list. (ex. 'login.php')

I clicked on 'Add Missing Pages', and it seems to be broken since login.php is still missing.

However, Meta Tags are generated in the source for 'login.php' using the 'Default Tags'.

How do you add a file (ex. 'login.php') to the Select an Option combo box?

Thanks for pointing out the error. For the index and produict page, if you mean the meta description and keywords are not showing, then that is a problem in the installation. If you mean the robots tags, then you probably don't have the option enabled since those are common to all pages. The login page doesn't show up in the list because it is excluded in admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php. It is excluded because secure pages shouldn't be listed on search engine pages so it doesn't server much purpose to list them. You can delete any you want from that list if you want to have the control of the title and tags though.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for pointing out the error. For the index and produict page, if you mean the meta description and keywords are not showing, then that is a problem in the installation. If you mean the robots tags, then you probably don't have the option enabled since those are common to all pages. The login page doesn't show up in the list because it is excluded in admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php. It is excluded because secure pages shouldn't be listed on search engine pages so it doesn't server much purpose to list them. You can delete any you want from that list if you want to have the control of the title and tags though.

Jack

For the index.php and product_info.php issue with description and keywords not showing, where in the installation did I go wrong? I already went back to double check the code that was modified. Everything was done according to the documentation.

To make sure you understand what I mean...

Here is the head block of code for the following...

index.php

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>osCommerce</title>
<base href="http://edited/catalog/">

<!-- start get_javascript(applicationtop2header) //-->

<!-- end get_javascript(applicationtop2header) //-->

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">
</head>

product_info.php

<head>

<script language="javascript"><!--
function popupWindow(url) {
 window.open(url,'popupWindow','toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,res
izable=yes,copyhistory=no,width=100,height=100,screenX=150,screenY=150,top=150,le
ft=150')
}
//--></script>

</head>

Now, here is the head block of code for a page that works...

reviews.php

<head>
<title></title>
<meta name="Description" content="" />
<meta name="Keywords" content="" />
<meta name="robots" content="noodp" />
<meta name="slurp" content="noydir" />
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

<!-- EOF: Header Tags SEO Generated Meta Tags -->

</head>

Edited by dark_tyrant

For the index.php and product_info.php issue with description and keywords not showing, where in the installation did I go wrong? I already went back to double check the code that was modified. Everything was done according to the documentation.

To make sure you understand what I mean...

Here is the head block of code for the following...

index.php

<head>

It would appear the header tags code isn't installed in the head section of those pages.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It would appear the header tags code isn't installed in the head section of those pages.

Jack

Are you able to reproduce this, or is it just me? The Meta Tags are not being generated for just those two pages. Every other page has Meta Tags similar to 'reviews.php' which tells me it is working. I want to figure out why the Meta Tags aren't being generated for those two pages. Any ideas on where to start?

Are you able to reproduce this, or is it just me? The Meta Tags are not being generated for just those two pages. Every other page has Meta Tags similar to 'reviews.php' which tells me it is working. I want to figure out why the Meta Tags aren't being generated for those two pages. Any ideas on where to start?
No, I can't reproduce it. There are troubleshooting methods mentioned in this thread for this sort of problem so I suggest trying those.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Great contribution!!!

I not sure this is where I ask a question.

Could you tell me what the "Set the limits for the keyword density" numbers are for and what numbers should I use.

Keyword density is the ratio of a keyword to the total number of words on a page. It should be about 4% to 6% fo best results. That setting is only used if the option for obtaining the keyword from the page is used.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Could someone please help me? After installing Header Tags SEO, I am receiving internal server errors when trying to use the search function, add to cart function, etc.. I am using Ultimate SEO URLS and STS 4. Thanks!
That can be caused by a number of things but I would look at the permissions on includes/header_tags.php first. Be sure they are the same as those for your images directory. If that isn't it, you will need to isolate the problem (is it only in admin, the shop or both and so on). If that doesn't help located the problem, you should ask your host to explain the error.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

That can be caused by a number of things but I would look at the permissions on includes/header_tags.php first. Be sure they are the same as those for your images directory. If that isn't it, you will need to isolate the problem (is it only in admin, the shop or both and so on). If that doesn't help located the problem, you should ask your host to explain the error.

Jack

Thanks for the reply. The permissions on header_tags.php are set correctly. I am only experiencing the problems with certain things. If I go to a product page it works perfect, if I got to www.mystore.com/specials.php or try to do a search or try to go to www.mystore.com/contact_us.php, that is when I receive the 500 Internal Server Errors. My host really cant do much. My website is hosted on a VPS so I pretty much have full control over it. Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. The permissions on header_tags.php are set correctly. I am only experiencing the problems with certain things. If I go to a product page it works perfect, if I got to www.mystore.com/specials.php or try to do a search or try to go to www.mystore.com/contact_us.php, that is when I receive the 500 Internal Server Errors. My host really cant do much. My website is hosted on a VPS so I pretty much have full control over it. Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks.
All you can do is try to isolate the problem. Remove the header tags code from the contact us file and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then try replacing the includes/header_tags.php file. You can also try deleting that file from Page Control in admin. Having one working page and one non-working page generally makes it easy (easier) to troubleshoot. You'll need to compare results between the two and hopefully something different will show up.

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

All you can do is try to isolate the problem. Remove the header tags code from the contact us file and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then try replacing the includes/header_tags.php file. You can also try deleting that file from Page Control in admin. Having one working page and one non-working page generally makes it easy (easier) to troubleshoot. You'll need to compare results between the two and hopefully something different will show up.

Jack

Ok, I will try that, but remember I am using STS. Did I need to add the code into the STS_Template and all the custom templates that I did? Or was I suppose to leave those alone?

I think a copy of this would be helpful to the public.

I have installed Header Tags SEO three times to make sure it wasn't an installation problem. All three times, I installed it flawlessly. I am sure it isn't a problem with the installation.

'Fill Tags' is the first thing I do, and it works well. I checked the work in phpmyAdmin.

filltagsqt8.jpg

'Page Control' also works. I used it to input "test" into the database.

phpmyadmincp9.jpg

Now, let's get to the problem.

'Page Control' updates the database just fine, but it has a few bugs updating the Meta Tags on certain pages.

The following pages do not update at all.

download.php

index.php

info_shopping_cart.php

popup_image.php

product_info.php

redirect.php

After updating, I see this...

indexvs5.jpg

The following pages take the default values after updating.

checkout_process.php

product_reviews_write.php

tell_a_friend.php

After updating, I see this...

reviewswritezy2.jpg

I would really appreciate your help in fixing these problems. If you can help me via instant messenger, that would be awesome. I have almost every instant messenger service. Let me know if this is possible. I hope this give you a better idea of my problem.

By the way, all the pages I didn't list are working perfectly.

Example:

contactusmo1.jpg

Keyword density is the ratio of a keyword to the total number of words on a page. It should be about 4% to 6% fo best results. That setting is only used if the option for obtaining the keyword from the page is used.

Jack

I have set it up for this option, but I only get the Title of the product for the key words. Any ideas?

Ok, I will try that, but remember I am using STS. Did I need to add the code into the STS_Template and all the custom templates that I did? Or was I suppose to leave those alone?
I don't use STS but you shouldn't need to edit code for the pages for a basic installation of it, from what I understand. But that's a question for the STS thread I think.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I have set it up for this option, but I only get the Title of the product for the key words. Any ideas?
Are you using the option to load from page from page control or fill tags? If the latter, try doing it for just one page from page control.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Are you using the option to load from page from page control or fill tags? If the latter, try doing it for just one page from page control.

Jack

I selected “Select a File” after about 30 sec I get a blank page.

It does this with “add missing pages as well.

If I select “product_info.php” and select the “radio button” I get

“** No keywords found for this page: Show All Files?language=en”

Thanks for all the help!

John