• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

I must say, this is one fantastic contribution!

And, Jack, high five to you for keeping the support going! :)

Thank you. I appreciate that. :)

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

Thank you for your contributions and technical support.

I just installed the newest v3.0.3,

when I use HT seo in OSC Admin, I have an error

" Found Missing Tags:

Products table has 1 items with missing meta tag information."

I am sure I filled the tags a couple of times.

And When I choose the "PAGECONTROL" and "view result", the description field is in red and blank ( No matter what I input in the descritions.)

Thank you in advance!

Johnny

Thank you. I appreciate that. :)

Jack

Yeah, I've got to totally agree. I'm really so grateful that you would a) write a great contrib and B) spend your time helping and supporting folks like me. Seriously...thanks.

Jack,

Thank you for your contributions and technical support.

I just installed the newest v3.0.3,

when I use HT seo in OSC Admin, I have an error

" Found Missing Tags:

Products table has 1 items with missing meta tag information."

I am sure I filled the tags a couple of times.

And When I choose the "PAGECONTROL" and "view result", the description field is in red and blank ( No matter what I input in the descritions.)

Thank you in advance!

Johnny

Fill Tags uses the product name from the product to fill the header tags fields. If a product has a missing name or it can't be understood for some reason, that will happen. You will need to search the database for that field. I plan on adding a lister to show those missing items but haven't had time. The field being red means the code couldn't find an entry for that item. If the page that is failing is a category or products page, then fill tags may have failed on that item, which could also be the reason for the first message.

Chris - Thanks. :)

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I have this contrib all working apart from 1 awkward error message:-

I get it above all the product fields when I go to edit any product in the admin

Warning: reset() [function.reset]: Passed variable is not an array or object in /home/.sites/143/site2/web/catalog/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 16

Warning: Variable passed to each() is not an array or object in /home/.sites/143/site2/web/catalog/admin/includes/classes/object_info.php on line 17

Also there is no data entered into the product fields (although it's in the database) - I guess because the sql query has stopped running by that point?

If you could point me in the right direction, it would be hugely appreciated

Thanks

Jos

===============

Simple yet Creative

Get Online Web Design : getonlinedesign.com

===============

You will need to state the file where that error is being generated from (what were you doing to cause it). What you posted is the end result of it and not useful in finding the cause.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack

I've managed to resolve this now.

There was an extra line in admin/categories.php which read:-

$product = tep_db_fetch_array($product_query);

Once I removed it I didn't get the error any more

Cheers

Jos

===============

Simple yet Creative

Get Online Web Design : getonlinedesign.com

===============

Maybe someone can help me get the right contribution here!!!

What I want to do is add seperate header tags for each manufacturer and category.

Since I am no longer using STS system I have no control of each individual manufacturer and category pages.

I am currently using header tags for novice which limits me to header tags for products ONLY.

My site has over 20,000 products,so I want it to automatically generate header tags from the products description but I want to manually edit categories and manufacturers.

I am going to uninstall this contribution, but need a good one to replace it with.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Edited by hambonz

Hi All!

Ok, got my store restored and back to normal, and I'm ready to give this contrib another go.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've got a CRE Loaded store. Also, I have Chemo's SEO URL's installed successfully. Now I'm ready to give Header Tags a whirl.

Are there any documented instructions that would be specific to my install? I know earlier, someone mentioned that I needed to run an uninstall first, and then do the install?

Thanks All, I really appreciate the help,

Chris Hackett

Maybe someone can help me get the right contribution here!!!

What I want to do is add seperate header tags for each manufacturer and category.

Since I am no longer using STS system I have no control of each individual manufacturer and category pages.

I am currently using header tags for novice which limits me to header tags for products ONLY.

My site has over 20,000 products,so I want it to automatically generate header tags from the products description but I want to manually edit categories and manufacturers.

I am going to uninstall this contribution, but need a good one to replace it with.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

As far as I know, this contribution is the only one that will allow that control. I could be wrong though since I don't keep up on the others. You can read up on them in this thread.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi All!

Ok, got my store restored and back to normal, and I'm ready to give this contrib another go.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've got a CRE Loaded store. Also, I have Chemo's SEO URL's installed successfully. Now I'm ready to give Header Tags a whirl.

Are there any documented instructions that would be specific to my install? I know earlier, someone mentioned that I needed to run an uninstall first, and then do the install?

Thanks All, I really appreciate the help,

Chris Hackett

Yes, run the uninstall file, then the install and then make the changes as described in the docs. The only exception is the changes to the root files, like index.php and product_info.php. They are not setup as they are in a standard shop so the install is different. However, since the Header Tags Controller contribution is probably already installed, you should be able to skip that step. You will still need to edit the index_default file if you want to use the social bookmark code but that should be it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

Thanks for the qiuck response.

I will test it on one of my dummy sites today and see if it is what I want...

Will keep you posted.

Sam

Yes, run the uninstall file, then the install and then make the changes as described in the docs. The only exception is the changes to the root files, like index.php and product_info.php. They are not setup as they are in a standard shop so the install is different. However, since the Header Tags Controller contribution is probably already installed, you should be able to skip that step. You will still need to edit the index_default file if you want to use the social bookmark code but that should be it.

Jack

Thanks! When running the script:

http://www.gameroom-supplies.com/headertag...o_uninstall.php

I get the following message:

1091 - Can't DROP 'manufacturers_htc_title_tag'; check that column/key exists

ALTER TABLE manufacturers_info DROP manufacturers_htc_title_tag

[TEP STOP]

Is this expected? Should I continue with the installation?

Well, I went ahead and ran the install script: http://www.gameroom-supplies.com/headertags_seo_install.php

and got this result:

1062 - Duplicate entry '20' for key 1

INSERT INTO configuration_group (configuration_group_id, configuration_group_title, configuration_group_description, sort_order) VALUES ('20', 'Header Tags SEO', 'Header Tags SEO site wide options', '20')

[TEP STOP]

I'm sure whatever is wrong is my fault... :)

Thanks,

Chris Hackett

Edited by chackett

You'll probably end up having to edit the database manually to get everything setup correctly. Since it couldn't find the manufacturers column, it was either not installed correctly in the first place or it was a very old version. You will need to ask for support for this on the CRE forums though since support for it is beyond the scope of this one.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You'll probably end up having to edit the database manually to get everything setup correctly. Since it couldn't find the manufacturers column, it was either not installed correctly in the first place or it was a very old version. You will need to ask for support for this on the CRE forums though since support for it is beyond the scope of this one.

Jack

Yeah, I think you're right. I guess I'll just scrap it. I tried to forge ahead and get something worked out, but in my index.php file (from step 1 of the files to edit), I can't find most of the referenced code to replace. None of the:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">
<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

is there. I don't know where that stuff is, but clearly this is way too complicated for me to figure out, and way too out of the norm for this group to help me with.

I appreciate the effort, and from what I hear, it's a great contrib. Sorry I won't be able to enjoy it!

Chris

Yeah, I think you're right. I guess I'll just scrap it. I tried to forge ahead and get something worked out, but in my index.php file (from step 1 of the files to edit), I can't find most of the referenced code to replace. None of the:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">
<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

is there. I don't know where that stuff is, but clearly this is way too complicated for me to figure out, and way too out of the norm for this group to help me with.

I appreciate the effort, and from what I hear, it's a great contrib. Sorry I won't be able to enjoy it!

Chris

Yes Chris this is the contribution that I also want to work, but after spending around 8 hrs editing SQL files I must give it a rest as my brain is scrambled.

If I find the answer I will surely advise you.

Sam

Hello Jack,

I have search this thread for a similar problem that I have and I have not found anything. So here it is. Everthing is installed and appears great in Admin and appears to function. I do not get any errors, but my tags are not being produced proberly. Example for products_info.php: In I.E. browser, in the Title tag, the first letter of the first word is missing and the statement HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_DESCRIPTION is included the title. Here is what it looks like when viewing source for a page:

<html dir="LTR" lang="en">
<head>
<title>lan's Sales HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_DESCRIPTION Class RK5 250 Volt HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_DESCRIPTION FRN-R-17-1/2 Fusetron 17-1/2Amp Bussmann Fuse</title>
<meta name="Description" content="products new description HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_DESCRIPTION FRN-R-17-1/2 Fusetron 17-1/2Amp Bussmann Fuse" />
<meta name="Keywords" content="products new fuses,electrical HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_KEYWORD FRN-R-17-1/2 Fusetron 17-1/2Amp Bussmann Fuse" />

The first word should be Alan's in the title. I included some other problem meta names generated.

I've gone over my installed code, I reinstalled the database and I am at a loss. Please help.

Alan

Production:
osCommerce V. 2.3.4BS
VPS Box

Hello again Jack,

I found part of my problem in the version 3.0.3 package. Some code in the install_admin.txt file is different than in the catalog_for_new_shop_only_RC2, regarding specifically the admin/categories.php file:

1. The part to search for the mod is TEXT_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION.

The install text file has “stripslashes” in a place where the the whole categories.php file supplied in the package omits the word “stripslashes”.

Replacing the code for the particular mod from the whole admin/categories.php file solved only part of my problem.

My index file no longer has in the title tag, HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_DESCRIPTION, however the first letter of the first word is missing in the title and meta name description. Product_info.php as with some other pages remain unchanged.

I will keep searching with a files comparer program. If you have any suggestions they would be appreciated.

Alan

Production:
osCommerce V. 2.3.4BS
VPS Box

This would be the best install yet!

But with my limited Knoledge and to many add on alredy installed it has taken 4 hours to back up a backup and have m store run without this fabulous addon. Thanks Jack for your hard work and if it is re relased I will give it another go because my site would benifit from it greatly.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the follow up.

Hello Jack,

I think I might have "looked before I leaped".

I still have my original problem, nothing was solved. The mod change that I made appears to have had no effect on my problem. In fact, I don't know if I should have made the modification to admin/categories.php.

Which code should I use; the one in the admin/categories.php file or the code in install_admin.txt file?

But this may be a tagent to my original problem.

Alan

Production:
osCommerce V. 2.3.4BS
VPS Box

Hello Jack,

I think I might have "looked before I leaped".

I still have my original problem, nothing was solved. The mod change that I made appears to have had no effect on my problem. In fact, I don't know if I should have made the modification to admin/categories.php.

Which code should I use; the one in the admin/categories.php file or the code in install_admin.txt file?

But this may be a tagent to my original problem.

Alan

The install instructions are for MS2 although they should work on RC2 shops. Which pre-made file you use depends on your shop.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, can you help be with my original problem located in post #293

Alan

Generally when you see capital letters like that, HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_KEYWORD, it means the definition cannot be found. That particular definition is located in the database so you should look there. If you don't have a admin->Configuration->Header Tags SEO section, then the database isn't setup correctly.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I do have admin->Configuration->Header Tags SEO section and it appears to work fine. The results are the problem. The problem is also HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_DESCRIPTION showing up and not only HEADER_TAGS_SEPARATOR_KEYWORD.

Alan

Production:
osCommerce V. 2.3.4BS
VPS Box