• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

OsCommerce 2.2rca clean install. Totally clean as in nothin' but 2.2rca. Put in the catalog_for_new_shop_only files and the admin section melts down.

Follow the step by step for existing shop instructions and a perfect install. Winmerge shows many files out of sync with the clean shop installation, do to it being a 2M2 based system.

So the program works great if your using the instruction set to the letter and paying extremely close attention to detail for the catagories file in admin.

As always a great job Jack!!!!!

Reading back a page or two will reveal that the files are MS2 files. I will upload a version with RC2 files soon.

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I mean the Meta tags on the webpage appear with the default information (keywords, description, etc..). The admin textboxes show the information that I want displayed; however, when I select view the default information appears in the boxes below. The default options are not selected for this page either.

Regards,

HD

What do you mean by header information and where is it missing from?

Jack

thanks for the feedback Jack. I think I started selecting the various options when the corresponding header tag information for the page did not appear. I have unchecked all options and now I receive the default page header info rather than what I have entered. The original 'missing sort order' message has disappeared; however, the header information still doesn't appear. Any thoughts?

Best Regards,

HD

Jack

--------------------

When I say header info, I'm referring to the Meta Tag info.

for college.php I have input keywords and description:

keyword: test

description: test

None of the default options are checked in the Include: area

If I log out of my store admin area and log back in the keyword: test and description: test still appear when I select college.php.

however, when I select the view result checkbox all of the default store information appears in the keyword and description box.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

HD

Jack

thanks for the feedback Jack. I think I started selecting the various options when the corresponding header tag information for the page did not appear. I have unchecked all options and now I receive the default page header info rather than what I have entered. The original 'missing sort order' message has disappeared; however, the header information still doesn't appear. Any thoughts?

This is the support thread for the new Header Tags SEO contribution. It is based on the Header Tags Controller but is not compatible.

Hi Jack,

I'm enjoying your contribtion, thanks for your hard work.

I have a question:

I am using STS V 4.5.8 and your HTC SEO v3.0.1

I would like to install Google analytics, and I've found the contribution:http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3756

But where would I install the google analytics code?

In STS template page, or via HTC???

Thanks for any help.

Hi Jack,

I'm enjoying your contribtion, thanks for your hard work.

I have a question:

I am using STS V 4.5.8 and your HTC SEO v3.0.1

I would like to install Google analytics, and I've found the contribution:http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/3756

But where would I install the google analytics code?

In STS template page, or via HTC???

Thanks for any help.

ssnb,

For STS, you should be able to install the contribution according to its instructions. The only issues you may run up against is if the new contribution has a custome "infobox", you would be required to create a new box tag in the sts_user_code.php file (steps on how to do that are commented in that file). Otherwise, STS will automatically pick up anything else.

If there is any custom HTML or Javascript, there are a couple of different ways of doing this but the most easiest would be to add this into the template page itself just like anyother web page.

Hope that helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi jack,

I successfully installed STS 4.5.8 (the last one) onto new osCommerce RC2.

I started to install HTC SEO 3.01: have changed database and copied folder catalog to the shop and also made step 1.A

Now, I didn't copied Admin part yet: I'm a bit confused about my next steps. Should I made all these changes in instruction "STS USERS ONLY" - or skip and do Install_Admin instructions.

Thanks for help.

Computers777dotcom

Hi jack,

I successfully installed STS 4.5.8 (the last one) onto new osCommerce RC2.

I started to install HTC SEO 3.01: have changed database and copied folder catalog to the shop and also made step 1.A

Now, I didn't copied Admin part yet: I'm a bit confused about my next steps. Should I made all these changes in instruction "STS USERS ONLY" - or skip and do Install_Admin instructions.

Thanks for help.

The only difference for and STS install is in step 1. Everything after that step needs to be performed by all types of shops.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

The only difference for and STS install is in step 1. Everything after that step needs to be performed by all types of shops.

Jack

Thanks Jack,

you are really a late bird :)

I think I gonna do that tomorrow morning, don't wanna mess up anything, cause all these code changes should take a lot of attention.

Thanks again,

Mike

Computers777dotcom

Hi Jack,

I installed STS and catalog parts of HTC SEO 3.01.

I read in instruction that before doing admin part I should have "New Home Page Title" for my index page.

I don't have it, it shows my domain name on a title as usual. I checked default (english) language ID and it is 1, as it should be. Should I go ahead and install admin part and see what happeneds or probably you can tell me what to look for.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Edited by AlwaysNewbie

Computers777dotcom

Hi Jack,

I installed STS and catalog parts of HTC SEO 3.01.

I read in instruction that before doing admin part I should have "New Home Page Title" for my index page.

I don't have it, it shows my domain name on a title as usual. I checked default (english) language ID and it is 1, as it should be. Should I go ahead and install admin part and see what happeneds or probably you can tell me what to look for.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

No, it should be working at that point. You can continue with the admin install but it won't fix the current problem. You may want to turn STS off to make sure the basic install is working. You will need to redo step 1 for that to work though.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

No, it should be working at that point. You can continue with the admin install but it won't fix the current problem. You may want to turn STS off to make sure the basic install is working. You will need to redo step 1 for that to work though.

Jack

It was off, as I checked.

I tried to tirn "use templates" on and when I open site I got next:

Warning: main(includes/modules/sts_inc/headertags.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/www/computers777.com/includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_display_output.php on line 21

Warning: main(): Failed opening 'includes/modules/sts_inc/headertags.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/www/computers777.com/includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_display_output.php on line 21

All above files are there.

One thing more:

I a bit cofused about that note you wrote when you change product_info.php:

NOTE: In any page in which you make the change to the title for Header Tags,

you should also locate the line containing HEADING_TITLE, remove the

pageHeading class and add the h1 tags as above.

What you mean under ANY pages? Cause I found line HEADING_TITLE in the index.php page where I already made changes.

P.S.

Update: It's fine now.

I found that file headertag.php some how was missing.

Sorry.

Edited by AlwaysNewbie

Computers777dotcom

ssnb,

For STS, you should be able to install the contribution according to its instructions. The only issues you may run up against is if the new contribution has a custome "infobox", you would be required to create a new box tag in the sts_user_code.php file (steps on how to do that are commented in that file). Otherwise, STS will automatically pick up anything else.

If there is any custom HTML or Javascript, there are a couple of different ways of doing this but the most easiest would be to add this into the template page itself just like anyother web page.

Hope that helped,

Thanks Bill

I'll give it a go on the STS template page. Where would you suggest I insert the google code? Between the header code?

Thanks

SSNB

Just wantet to install "All Products v3.0 MS 2.2 with Images" and see that there is some old header tags code in there, is this still compatible with this new SEO version or do i have to modify a lot.

Anyone that have done this?

Just wantet to install "All Products v3.0 MS 2.2 with Images" and see that there is some old header tags code in there, is this still compatible with this new SEO version or do i have to modify a lot.

Anyone that have done this?

You don't need the files at all. The allprods.php file may need to be edited since it called those files. At least it did in my version. i haven't looked at the latest versions.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

if you have the ultra pics contribution installed you will have to be a very good programmer because the ultra pics deletes some code in index.php that SEO tags needs:(
Not that I'm aware of. But, as is the case when installing more than one contribution, merging of files may be needed.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

A new version has been uploaded. It contains these changes:

-> Changed code in includes/functions/header_tags.php to clear the strings of unwanted characters. This was already there but in some cases it wouldn't remove a beginning dash. This should take care of that.

-> Applied various minor fixes mentioned in this thread and via PM's. My thanks to those that found the problems.

-> Changed how includes/headert_tags.php determines the page name to account for all servers.

-> Added a new directory for RC2 original files.

Note that this last change caused the file size to go over 300K which means the upload has to be approved before it becomes available. So if you don't see it, that is why.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I'm very impressed with this contribution. I have heavily modified a new install of oscommerce-2.2rc2a

I used common downloads and added them one at a time over a week.

Ultimate_SEO_URLSv21d_UPDATED no issues.

PDF datasheet v 1.6.4 Added to the first position of social bookmark for printing

RSS feed with eCommerce, v2.0 --- I added the link to social bookmarks

Articles v1.5.5 -- Ripped all other header code out and replaced it with HTC SEO

All FWR contributions without problems

Many others and still no conflicts to speak of.

Just a great job of coding. Well done!!

Hi

LOVE this contrib. I'm waitting for today uploaded version, but still i have two questions;

1. Stripping characters. I'm using "<b>" nad "<br>" tags for formatting the title. These tags are not stripped

<title> _b_Niet_/b_ _br_27.05.2008 - Križanke - Ljubljana (21:00)</title>

<meta name="Description" content=" Niet 27.05.2008 - Križanke - Ljubljana (21:00)" />

<meta name="Keywords" content=" _b_Niet_/b_ _br_27.05.2008 - Križanke - Ljubljana (21:00)" />

2. You can see that all fields are the same. When using fill tags function, and check for keywords and description .. nothing happens, that's why it uses Title for all field.

Thanx for all support!

greets

Jack,

I seem to have lost my .ico icon that used to be displayed in the browser tab. This appeared to have occurred after I installed this contribution.

Also, on another note, where would I install the Google Analytics code? Would this be done through your contribution or throught the template page (STS)

Regards

SSNB

is it possible to change the code in clean_html_comments.php

<?php

// /catalog/includes/functions/clean_html_comments.php

//

// BE CAREFUL NOT to use this function where it will effect currencies.php or the listings for product name

// This is used for cosmetic purposes for what the visitor sees and not for what the php code sees. The php code needs to see the HTML comment tags.

//

// Removes the <!--//* and *//--> from Product Names

////

// Clean out HTML comments code

function clean_html_comments($clean_html) {

global $its_cleaned;

if ( strpos($clean_html,'<!--//*')>1 ) {

$the_end1= strpos($clean_html,'<!--//*')-1;

$the_start2= strpos($clean_html,'*//-->')+7;

$its_cleaned= substr($clean_html,0,$the_end1);

$its_cleaned.= substr($clean_html,$the_start2);

} else {

$its_cleaned= $clean_html;

}

return $its_cleaned;

}

?>

to clean bold tags "<b>" and "</b>" from the title (Product name)?

thanx

Jack,

I seem to have lost my .ico icon that used to be displayed in the browser tab. This appeared to have occurred after I installed this contribution.

Also, on another note, where would I install the Google Analytics code? Would this be done through your contribution or throught the template page (STS)

Regards

SSNB

The ico file is loaded by the browser and goes in the url. The code here wouldn't (couldn't) change that. It doesn't change anything to do with the url.

Analytics code should normally go in the footer but that may not be the case with STS. You should ask in the support thread for STS to be sure.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

is it possible to change the code in clean_html_comments.php

to clean bold tags "<b>" and "</b>" from the title (Product name)?

thanx

No, that wouldn't work since other fields have to be changed too. I will post some code to clear that today or tomorrow.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons