• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Change image on attribute change?

TB

Is there a module/contribution to allow the product image (and expanded image) to change on a change of the attributes? :?:

T-Shirt for sale.

ie.  Default image is a blue t-shirt.

Item has 2 attribute options... one for colour and the other for style.

Item has 4 attributes for either blue, red, green or white.

Item has 3 styles, polo, v-neck, or standard.

On a change of these colour attributes, the image changes from the default blue t-shirt to the new selected colour... taking into account of the style selected also.

On a change of the style attributes, the image change from the default standard t-shirt to the new selected style... taking into account of the colour selected also.

It'd be good if there was a 'Show updated attributes' button, so both a style and a colour could be selected and have them both used to load the correct picture without selecting one option, then the other.

Many thanks,

Tony

"The price of success is perseverance. The price of failure comes much cheaper."

Would it be possible also to change the model number of the item based upon the selections?

Most items of different colors, sizes, etc. have similar model numbers but not exactly the same... would it be possible to make a module that selects the model number from a table (admin selects attributes and saves model number to go with current selections).

ie. looks up a model number for a polo shirt that's blue, then looks up another model number for a polo shirt that's orange, etc.

I'm sure you know where I'm coming from, although my explaination is a bit scarce.

Thanks,

Tony

"The price of success is perseverance. The price of failure comes much cheaper."

Once again I need a hand to find out where to start with this one?

I'm not a programmer by any means, but I'll give it a go if no-one is already onto it... and if someone can please point me in right direction as to where to start?

Cheers,

Tony

• 2 years later...
Contribution: Options as Images

I haven't tried it yet, and will add a post here when I have.

I've tried it. It's got a lot of potential, but it's a bear to install, and I have yet to get it running. The commenting in the code is sketchy, which makes it hard to find and splice in the contribution to your existing (already modified) OSC files. There also appear to be a number of errors in the syntax, though those may just be the result of my own attempts to splice the code in.

I'll keep working on it, and if I manage to get it running, I'll upload a commented version with clear install instructions. Not sure when that will be; I'm about to go on vacation for a month.

Regards,

--Grayson

Grayson Morris

Still plugging along on the Options as Images Contribution, and I've got it running fairly well. A few issues left to iron out on the admin side in particular. That said....I just realized this contribution only allows one thumbnail image (and one larger image) per option value. What I want, however, is a distinct image for each product with that option. If I have the option Color: Red, for example, I want to show a red t-shirt when the customer is looking at my t-shirt product, and a red racecar when the customer is looking at my racecar product.

This means I'm going stop on this contribution now and go back to Dynamic MoPics, which installed and worked like a dream, only without the select-directly-from-the-images aspect. I'll try to add in distinct titles for each MoPic, and I might just try to select directly from the MoPic images....now that I've learned so much about this aspect of OSC while trying to decipher Options as Images.

So that's the state of things, for the two of you who'll ever read this ;-).

Regards,

--Grayson

Grayson Morris

If you set up the attribues correctly there should be no problem with showing the correct image with the correct products attribute.

I have option as images installed on a site, allong with the attribute sets contribution and they both work like a dream. =)

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

If you set up the attribues correctly there should be no problem with showing the correct image with the correct products attribute.

I have option as images installed on a site, allong with the attribute sets contribution and they both work like a dream. =)

Hi Wendy,

I don't have the attribute sets contribution installed (it's probably overkill for my site, which basically only has one option, Color). My problems installing Options as Images are due to having to find and copy the right snippets of code into product_info.php, admin/categories.php, admin/product_attributes.php and so forth. I've installed several other contributions and don't want to overwrite any of them by just copying up the Options as Images files. Moreover, Options as Images looks like it was written for a prior-to-MS2 version of OSC, and there's been some conflict with names as a result of splicing in the code instead of copying the whole file lock, stock, and barrel (e.g. $products_name in OaI code is used for a different entity than in MS2 code in the same file).

But that's neither here nor there, as I'm sure I could get all that sorted out (and largely have). The stopper for me is that OaI assigns one thumb (and one larger image) per option value, NOT per product attribute. So if I have red t-shirts and red racecars, they'll have to use the same uploaded thumb and larger image for the option red. What I want is a red t-shirt image for t-shirts, and a red racecar image for racecars. Sure, I could set up different options, such as Car Color and T-shirt Color, and assign each of those the values Red, Blue, Green et al, with the proper images for each. But what a proliferation of options, values, and attributes. I'd rather keep it simpler (also because I'm using Easy Populate and don't want to hit the 256-column spreadsheet maximum).

In addition, I really like the dynamic aspect of Dynamic MoPics; if an image is there, it gets used, and otherwise there's no text or broken images to indicate that something is missing. So if I can manage to associate unique text with the extra images (such as the color name), and then stick radio buttons right beside them instead of using the drop-down list, I'll be one happy camper.

Regards,

--Grayson

Grayson Morris

[Apparently I don't have permission to edit my own messages, gotta figure that out later.]

I just saw in the contributions section that there's a separate "Options as Images for MS2" contribution--I missed that before, and got the original. That might help to explain many of my installation headaches :-).

--Grayson

Grayson Morris

Wendy,

Boy, am I glad you posted here! Thanks to you, I found the MS2 version of the Options as Images contribution, which is lightyears better than the older (unrelated but similar) version. It installed easy as pie and works like a charm. All the poorly thought-out aesthetics of the MS1 contribution (quite aside from its installation and coding deficiencies) are gone; it looks great.

I'm not going to say I wasted all of yesterday afternoon and the evening before that; I learned a lot about the innards of OSC, wrangling with that MS1 contribution, so it was worthwile :-). But oh, I am so glad to have found the MS2 version!

Regards,

--Grayson

Edited by grayson

Grayson Morris

Wendy, this was my question - I have some products that would do better with attribute sets and some with the options as images. Do both work fine together then? I am so scared of getting the option as images and it messing up the attibute sets!

I have a similar issue that I need a solution for...

My client sells jewelery, therapeutic magnet jewelery to be specific.

The first page from the menu displays general images (because of options that the customer might want to select)

You can view the site here if that helps to understand what I mean by using "general" images.

When the item is added to the cart (after attributes/options have been selected) the imaged displayed in the cart IS still the general image. That image is not likely to be the one that matches their selected options,

I want to know where and how to set-up an IF loop that will use the selected attributes to get the image that matches the selected options. This method could also be used to match the correct "Model Number" for the selected options.

Perhaps this is also what Tony (TB) was looking for?

It would seem to be a desirable contribution to osC...

Thanks in advance to any thoughts of offers of solutions!

jlee

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have about the same problem but options images didnt do the job.

1 - My product has 8 different fabric types (real leather, artificial leather, fabric1, fabric2,,, etc) and the price changes for different fabric selection.

2- For each fabric type there are about 15~30 different color selections. Colors are unique for that fabric type, so I have around 180 different color selections.

I need a mod so that when the fabric type is chosen, only the colors for the that fabric type is listed in the second pulldown menu.

By the way color selection for a fabric type is always the same. Perhaps eases the problem a bit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Serdar

I need a mod so that when the fabric type is chosen, only the colors for the that fabric type is listed in the second pulldown menu.

Serdar, take a look at the Attributes Sets contribution. This will allow you to set up attributes for all your different fabric types and colors, then group them in any way you want so that you can set up a group for each product containing only the fabric options relevant to that product.

The contribution is here.

Regards,

--Grayson

Grayson Morris

Serdar, take a look at the Attributes Sets contribution. This will allow you to set up attributes for all your different fabric types and colors, then group them in any way you want so that you can set up a group for each product containing only the fabric options relevant to that product.

The contribution is here.

Regards,

--Grayson

Hello Grayson,

I finally got Attributes Sets working. It saved me alot of time.

But, when I choose the fabric type in the first pulldown, the second pulldown does not change. I want the second pulldown to show the colors unique to the fabric type selected in the first pulldown.

Any suggestions?

Serdar

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Grayson,

I finally got Attributes Sets working. It saved me alot of time.

But, when I choose the fabric type in the first pulldown, the second pulldown does not change. I want the second pulldown to show the colors unique to the fabric type selected in the first pulldown.

Any suggestions?

Serdar

Sorry Serdar, I haven't used Attributes Sets the way you're using it, so I can't help you there. My guess is that AS only covers independent attributes, and that in order to link the choice from the first set to the choices available in the second set, you'll have to do some recoding. But perhaps someone else has better information for you. Good luck!

Regards,

Grayson

Grayson Morris

• 1 year later...

I realise this is an old thread but it seems to be what I'm looking for. I've tried using this Options as Images contribution, I havn't yet been able to test it (the folder I created is unwriteable and I have to wait for the guy at the server to sort out) but before I've uploaded any images shouldn't the attributes just act as per the norm, however they don't appear on the product info page.

Ideally I'd like to retain the attributes as a drop down menu and have the image refresh to reflect the selection, does anyone know if this is possible? Without having to edit the database as I don't know how to do it and the guy at my server advises against it because a slight mistake can cause huge problems that are difficult to rectify.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm also looking for the exact same thing, wants image to change when product attribute changes (uses drop down menus instead of radio buttons). Can anybody help please??

yup...one main product image that changes with option selection (and of course works with the cart)....6 years in the waiting and it would save so many lives. I wish I had the knowledge to do it. It would be almost as important as parting the red sea. The image as options is a great tool, but not workable when you have more than, say, 10 images as it drags the page along. Attribute sets seems to be just a cloning tool for attributes on like items.

Or maybe a pop up window for large attribute selections...someone mentioned dhtml, but the only stuff I could find has to do with the stores navigation and not the product preview.

so, uh, is there anything?

• 2 years later...