• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Ok - I give Up! - I Need Help!

trevorjdaniel

Hi,

I'm getting really lost when trying to get OSC working on a host called Fasthosts in the UK. www.fasthosts.co.uk

bit of background waffle...

im on a shared server which is running MS Windows 2003 sever

it runs php

it runs mysql

i have a shop up and running at http://www.sloctcarswaleslimited.co.uk/catalog/

i have a paypal business account with Website Standard Payments

i have a module called "PayPal Website Payments Standard" in OSC

so, i thought, i had conquered all the basics.... but.... oh no... how the hell do i get it connected to Paypal

OSC seems to be asking all the right questions but... i just can't seem to get the answers from fasthosts....

It's asking me for a number of .pem files relating to security certificates....

i've managed to get the paypal public key .pem file but when i asked fasthosts for a .pem file relating to my website, they said they cant give it to me.

Looking deeper, it looks like i can can buy 10mb of ssl space on fasthosts... which i will if necessary, but im worried that's not the end of this?

but after speaking to about 5 tech people from fasthosts. They are saying..

1. You need a fixed ip address to be able to get a certificate.

2. They obviously dont offer that on a shared server.

3. I need to upgrade to a dedicated server.

All i want to do is give my customers a nice smooth checkout without them having to be a member of paypal. And ideally, i dont want them to leave my domain, but if they have to, it's nice and smooth...

anyone out there to help little old me?

trev

Those certificate details can be skipped.

Satish

I am new to this. What do you mean they can be skipped? as in I dont need to fill that info in and the module will work properly?

Also can you accept credit cards with Paypal Standard, and the buyer does not have a paypal acct ??? Paypal has almost no support to offer, hoping someone here can help???

Edited by locaincb

you can create your own pem here: http://www.stunnel.org/pem/ however it would make more sense to move to a shared server, etc where you can get a static ip address and get your own ssl cert. having your site hosted anywhere should not be a problem, someone going to your site in europe, africa, southeast asia, north america or south america time to reach and return the info is not much of a difference

I am new to this. What do you mean they can be skipped? as in I dont need to fill that info in and the module will work properly?

Also can you accept credit cards with Paypal Standard, and the buyer does not have a paypal acct ??? Paypal has almost no support to offer, hoping someone here can help???

you have to upgrade the paypal business but then you can take credit cards as well..

http://www.sloctcarswaleslimited.co.uk/catalog/

OSC seems to be asking all the right questions but... i just can't seem to get the answers from fasthosts....

It's asking me for a number of .pem files relating to security certificates....

i've managed to get the paypal public key .pem file but when i asked fasthosts for a .pem file relating to my website, they said they cant give it to me.

This link is for installing Paypal IPN but the process to generate security ceritificates applies to your case as well.

Read the parts where it discusses generating public/private certificates, keys, etc. Hope this helps you.

https://support.lunarpages.com/knowledge_bases/article/187

Edited by BryceJr

To accept credit cards from non-PayPal members, I am pretty sure you have to log into your account, click Profile, click Website Payment Preferences, then turn the option on near the bottome titlted PayPal Account Optional. That would flow like this once you log in to your premium or business account:

PayPal account

-->Profile

-->Website Payment Preferences

-->PayPal Account Optional (setting = ON)