• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS SLOW QUOTES? checkout_shipping.php SLOW?

creepo

OK, this morning at some point on two stores - shipping quotes from usps servers seem to be VERY SLOW. Like 2 minutes. I have been looking to see if anyone else has posted - nothing yet. Perhaps it's just me? I disabled USPS, and my checkout process is quick - Fed Ex quotes are fast. just usps.php is LAGGING.

Anyone got the same problem? Please post to confirm. If it's their server... (I emailed their support), I will wait and relax. In the meantime, I upgraded my USPS methods to the latest - hoping perhaps there may be a known issue already addressed... No deal. The last time i had to mess with it was because USPS decided to change their API a bit... perhaps they did again?

Anyone?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by creepo

I am getting the same problem and have lost some customers because of delay in the shipping quotes. I've noticed that it doesn't happen all the time. Some times the time to load is faster. I was going to upgrade to the latest contribution but based on what you've said, I think it might be an issue on the USPS end. I will also get in touch with them and find out the problem. For now the best approach seems to be to disable USPS quotes.

Peace,

Suhail

I am getting the same problem and have lost some customers because of delay in the shipping quotes. I've noticed that it doesn't happen all the time. Some times the time to load is faster. I was going to upgrade to the latest contribution but based on what you've said, I think it might be an issue on the USPS end. I will also get in touch with them and find out the problem. For now the best approach seems to be to disable USPS quotes.

Peace,

Suhail

Unfortunately, I don't think our problem is going to help you... our problem turned out to be security related between two machines (one was blocking the other). After much hair pulling, it turned out to be unrelated to USPS. Still, in my research, I see evidence of a couple times that USPS did have troubles - and I know they once changed the API all of the sudden and crippled my stores. I wish you luck. I was able to correspond directly to usps regarding the API at:

USPS Internet Customer Care Center

[email protected]

They responded fairly quickly, although they basically said they weren't having any trouble. And I am sure that if they really were having server trouble with rate calculations, there would be a huge outcry from ecommerce stores everywhere. As you see, i didn't have one reply on this until... you did :(

Sorry. PS - there's a debugging email you can have the xml response sent to you (if you are using USPS methods contrib). It's a commented bit of code in usps.php. That's when I figured that USPS was actually sending the response fairly quickly... the email arrived almost immediately...

Good luck!

J