• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

EasyPopulate 2.2 released!

wasson65

EasyPopulate (EP) 2.2 has been released.

EP lets you upload your store's product data from Excel, Access, Filemaker, or any other data source that you can get into a tab-delimited format. It can also be used to download the current products, edit/update them, and re-import to maintain your store. EP has been used with stores featuring over 15,000 items.

This version features:

1. Much better multi-language support and tax class support thanks to Elari!

2. Fixed a bug with some files not being split properly.

3. EP now should support PRE-NOVEMBER 1 SNAPSHOTS. Can someone test this out? I don't have an old snapshot to test with.

Also included is rewritten documentation in pdf, txt, and rtf versions.

I'm currently working on a sponsored enhancement to EP to support the "Multiple prices per product" so you can have retail, wholesale, etc!

If what you've got works for you, I'd stick with it, but if you're doing non-english shops, or tax class stuff, this is a worthwhile upgrade.

Enjoy!

Tim

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to use EP 2.2 but after I upload the new .txt file to populate the DB, this message appear:

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 3

DELETE FROM products_description WHERE products_id = 30 AND language_id =

[TEP STOP]

There is anything to do for fixing this?

Thank you,

P.S. - I use a SnapShot from 15 dec. 2002

After I was telling myself RTFM ... I tried to download and upload the same file without any modifications.

The problem is the same.

An more ... in the osc store a product don't have any specification at the products_model field.

In the downloaded file this field is empty but when try to upload appear the foloowing message:

No products_model field in record. This line was not imported

Actually, this error appear the first in line and after that, the message described in previous post.

Thank you,

Does this still insist on using default OSCommerce field sizes? Almost all of the fields in the default SQL are not suitable to my needs so they have been expanded to hold real-world data.

For instance, the products_model in the products table defaults to 12 characters. Well in order to sell books and allow that to hold a proper ISBN number, I have had to expand that to 20 characters. The products_name field was limited to 32 characters. Again this had to be expanded so it could hold longer book names. I expanded it to 250 characters. So on and so forth.

Since I have read that people have had problems with this before, I haven't even looked at your contribution let alone offer it to my customers.

check the zip file in my download area or cvs and let me know please if you can import.

there is low diff between Tim files and mine and maybe we missed something, so please test and let me know

So.

I put in the

// the following is common in both the updating an existing product and creating a new product

area the exact language_id which in my shop is 4 (I have just 1 language)

Si I replaced

"$langcode[$l]['id']" with "4" in the DELETE and INSERT query and everything works fine now.

But the problem remain for more languages.

Thank you,

Does this still insist on using default OSCommerce field sizes? Almost all of the fields in the default SQL are not suitable to my needs so they have been expanded to hold real-world data.

For instance, the products_model in the products table defaults to 12 characters. Well in order to sell books and allow that to hold a proper ISBN number, I have had to expand that to 20 characters. The products_name field was limited to 32 characters. Again this had to be expanded so it could hold longer book names. I expanded it to 250 characters. So on and so forth.

Since I have read that people have had problems with this before, I haven't even looked at your contribution let alone offer it to my customers.

The only field that is checked for length is the product_model. There is a simple config variable named $modelsize at the top of the easypopulate.php file that you set to the size of your product_model field. This is mentioned in the new docs. The other fields won't make any difference. I check the product_model field because if someone is trying to put in a longer model than their db will handle, it could lead to some very odd results that affect other products.

Ex: my model numbers are like BOOKNUMBER14. But I didn't do anything to my db because I'm ignorant. And I upload my first few books, and it works fine. So I upload another 1000 books. Oops, now the product model is too long, and not only did I not get my products in, I've overwritten the data for book number 10 because the product model got truncated.

There's no case where having a product_model longer than the database is a good thing, and the ramifications go beyond that product to other products in the db, and I thought it would be good to protect against that.

Tim

So.

I put in the  

// the following is common in both the updating an existing product and creating a new product

area the exact language_id which in my shop is 4 (I have just 1 language)

Si I replaced  

"$langcode[$l]['id']" with "4" in the DELETE and INSERT query and everything works fine now.

But the problem remain for more languages.

Thank you,

Thanks for this info!

This is very helpful debugging information, I know where to look now.

I'll see if I can get a fix quickly here.

Tim

I've had the same problem with the language id which I've solved as described above, thanks ,

however I still have one problem, the first item in the list is not being found because the products_id in the table products_description is being wrongly described as "1" even when it should be a different value,

any help appreciated,

I had the same problem as above, but I've go another problem. Most of my product descriptions have html in them and where there is a set of " " or ' ' then it come out like <table width=颼%' border=Ɖ' cellspacing=Ɗ' cellpadding=ƈ' bordercolor='#CC3333'> which don't work!

Any ideas?

thanks

Jeremy Bray :?:

I had the same problem as above, but I've go another problem. Most of my product descriptions have html in them and where there is a set of " " or ' ' then it come out like <table width=颼%' border=Ɖ' cellspacing=Ɗ' cellpadding=ƈ' bordercolor='#CC3333'> which don't work!

Any ideas?

thanks

In easypopulate.php, you'll find some lines that do the replacement. They look like this:

$items[$i] = str_replace('"',""",$items[$i]);

$items[$i] = str_replace("'","'",$items[$i]);

and again a few lines later

$items[$i] = str_replace('"',""",$items[$i]);

$items[$i] = str_replace("'","'",$items[$i]);

Comment those lines out, and try again. I don't guarantee perfection because we had those in there intended to change the quotes to the escape chars for text in the description, but we didn't think about it messing up complex html in the description.

Try it and let me know, I can put a switch in the next version to let you turn this on and off.

Tim

I've had the same problem with the language id which I've solved as described above, thanks ,  

however I still have one problem, the first item in the list is not being found because the  products_id in the table products_description is being wrongly described as "1" even when it should be a different value,  

any help appreciated,

You mean it's always being set to one in the table no matter which product it's for?

Hmmm...

Can someone upload a sample excel file they are using so I can get a feel for how to lay out my excel file for this? My descriptions have alot of html in them, is that possible? Thanks

Sean

Can someone upload a sample excel file they are using so I can get a feel for how to lay out my excel file for this?  My descriptions have alot of html in them, is that possible?  Thanks

Sean

Actually, you can make your own by going to EasyPopulate and downloading the .txt file. That will have the format you need to use.

Note: You must use all the columns in their given order at this time.

I've got a beta 2.3 almost ready to go that will let you define custom download formats, rearrange column orders, and skip columns, and also work with the "Mulitple price per product" contrib.

Tim

Do we really need one when tabs are in use?  

jeremy

Can you try this for me? I don't use Excel myself, being all Linux based.

in easypopulate, change this line

$therow .= '"' . $thetext . '"' . "t";

to this

$therow .= $thetext . "t";

And try that on for size. Let me know how it works.

Any ideas?

thanks

take your quotes out of the html tags... HTMl will handle

<table width="100%" border="3" cellspacing="4" cellpadding="2" bordercolor="#CC3333">

or

<table width='100%' border='3' cellspacing='4' cellpadding='2' bordercolor='#CC3333'>

or

<table width=100% border=3 cellspacing=4 cellpadding=2 bordercolor=#CC3333>

as the same thing...

the reason I think we went with replacing double and single quotes with their character codes, was to avoid having the hastle of using slashes and then stripping them out and having them put back in again mainly due to magic quotes.

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

I glanced thought this thread but couldn't tell if this has been reported yet.

EP 2.2 seems to skip the first defined language, because the array counter starts at 1 and not 0.

To fix, change:

$l=1;

with this:

$l=0;

Scott.

I glanced thought this thread but couldn't tell if this has been reported yet.

EP 2.2 seems to skip the first defined language, because the array counter starts at 1 and not 0.

To fix, change:

$l=1;

with this:

$l=0;

Scott.

I had come across this and fixed it in my 2.3 beta while I was testing. I was finally able to duplicate the trouble people were having, and this was the cause.

Good Catch!

Tim

P.S. 2.3 should come out today with multiple file format capability and support for multiple price per product contrib.