• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I need a feature like this :

Hi.

We are doing a shop which sells ink supplies for printers.

But I need a feature like this :

1. The customer should be able to select a printer manufacture in a drop downbox.

2. When the customer have selected the manufactur it will show the printer names in another dropdown box, and when the customer selects the printer it will show all compatible inkjet cartridges for the selected printer.

Does any of you have an idea on how to do this ?

Kim

Hi.  

We are doing a shop which sells ink supplies for printers.  

But I need a feature like this :  

1. The customer should be able to select a printer manufacture in a drop downbox.  

2. When the customer have selected the manufactur it will show the printer names in another dropdown box, and when the customer selects the printer it will show all compatible inkjet cartridges for the selected printer.  

Does any of you have an idea on how to do this ?  

Kim

There are a couple ways:

1. You refresh the page and populate the printer name dropdown based on their previous response. Dependable, not to hard to implement, but slower. Not sure what the best way to work this into the OSC structure is, tho...

2. Use javascript to populate the dropdown without a server trip. The problem is you'll need to have all the data downloaded the first time they load the page. A fat way to fix the problem.

3. Some type of DHTML menu system - same drawbacks as #2

I used to work for a company called ddms. they are one of the largest suppliers of proprietary software for wholsale office supply companys, they set up the systems, servers and software all as part of the package, however,,,they also offer a website pakage that is integrated with the customers ddms server. it has something similar to what you are looking for.

http://www.dswebengine.com/demo/

click on supply wizard, I do not know if they have the code on the site hidden or not , I did not have time to check , but you might be able to get what you need from there and modify it, if that is considered moral.