• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customer Choice List a la Listmania (Amazon)

jbastow

I've got limited PHP knowledge, but I'm willing to give it a shot:

I'd like to be able to allow my customers to create lists of their favourite iitems to publish on my site. This is pretty much along the lines of Listmania! from Amazon, where customers can create themed sets of products to post for others to see.

Has anyone already made this? (searched existing contribs and couldn't find anything like it) I figure it can be done by modding the Wishlist addon to allow them to be made public.... Can anyone give me a starting point on this or any pointers on where to take this?

Thanks for the advice!

Janna

• 2 months later...

What you have to realise is that Amazon spends Mega Millions on developing their website, with a team of highly motivated and very professional coders.

Far too many people come here expecting to be able to replicate that experience on their osCommerce website for free.

So the answer is - "Yes, if you've got the money to spend then it can be custom coded", otherwise the answer is "No".

"Limited PHP Knowledge" won't allow you to modify the Wish List add-on, which isn't very good anyway.

Vger

What you have to realise is that Amazon spends Mega Millions on developing their website, with a team of highly motivated and very professional coders.

Far too many people come here expecting to be able to replicate that experience on their osCommerce website for free.

So the answer is - "Yes, if you've got the money to spend then it can be custom coded", otherwise the answer is "No".

"Limited PHP Knowledge" won't allow you to modify the Wish List add-on, which isn't very good anyway.

Vger

I think this community has the ability to be both motivated and professional (or am I putting too much faith in open source?) ;)

That said, how would I go about getting input from others on the (semi-functional) code I've already whipped up? I'm not expecting anyone to write this for me, but having never completed a contribution, I'd like to get some feedback and fresh eyes on it before I release anything.

I'll post something here once I clean it up a little - hopefully I'll get some pointers on how to improve it.

Thanks for your comments, Vger!

Janna