• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

I am still trying to get the templates for sts infoboxes working but am having a few probs still!!

I would like to know how I am able to test the changes I make to my store without changing the store design while there are customers about? I do not want to have to wait until the site is clear before I cna test the changes and I do not want to put up a temporary redirect page up? Anyone got any idea how I can do this?

Also, my basic template design is a flexible design using css, and when I turn on sts infobox templates then they seem to work ok but when I click on a single item then the boxes stretch all the way down past the template? Do I need to specify a certain minimum height for my template to accomodate the infoboxes?

Cheers.

I am still trying to get the templates for sts infoboxes working but am having a few probs still!!

I would like to know how I am able to test the changes I make to my store without changing the store design while there are customers about? I do not want to have to wait until the site is clear before I cna test the changes and I do not want to put up a temporary redirect page up? Anyone got any idea how I can do this?

Cheers.

Gareth,

You could always install a test server locally to do this. Also, you could create a mirror site that is password protected to test out your new designs.

:thumbsup: Also, see chapter 3.4.2 in the STS User Manual on how to test out a design by inserting the template folder to be used from the URL.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Also, my basic template design is a flexible design using css, and when I turn on sts infobox templates then they seem to work ok but when I click on a single item then the boxes stretch all the way down past the template? Do I need to specify a certain minimum height for my template to accomodate the infoboxes?

Cheers.

Gareth,

The STS infobox templates are working, it's just that your design is not. Keep in mind that each of the osCommerce releases to date are mostly table based (this may change with version 3.0) and you will need to keep that in mind when designing your templates. Fluid layouts are possible as well as full CSS layouts just that you will run into hurdles. You may need to change the actual box script (such as information.php) HTML to work with your CSS layout.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

I need assistance on STS System - my site has sub folders that are using the STS - so it is duplicated in the root folder and in the sub folder - I can pretty much get the root files to show somewhat but I seem to have some kind of a conflict in the sub folder - everytime I try to place the code - <?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_left.php'); ?> in one of the pages of the sub folder- the page completely disappears. Can anyone direct me?

Also which file and where is it - where I can adjust the styling of the the boxes for Search, Information box etc.

I am really stumped.

I hope that this goes through because this thread looks weird now. Used to have over 100 pages?

Well, anyway... I am unsure if this is a STS question or if I should put in the General thread. I am working on entering track listings for CDs. I have a tab effect where you can click on a tab for Disc 1 and see the tracks and then click on a tab next to it called Disc 2. It toggles back and forth. It saves the page from being super long. Initially I did not think I could get it to work by entering it in the Product Details. However, I have gotten a few to work but then some are not working.

What happens is it cuts the page off. An error comes up referencing the product_info.php page but I have not made any edits to this page. Should I put the javascript on the product_info.pgp page? What I am working on calls 3 separate javascript files. I had included them and entered with other HTML code into the Product Details area. Then, I uploaded the files to the web host server. I made sure the paths were all correct in the code.

Just not sure why it keeps cutting the page off? When I preview them everything looks great but it does not look correct on the "live" site. It will display the first CD and the tabs work great but then any other after that are cut off.

I really do not expect a lot of help on this since it is javascript but I am hoping someone out there may have had a similar experience and be able to lend some guidance.

Thanks!!

I need assistance on STS System - my site has sub folders that are using the STS - so it is duplicated in the root folder and in the sub folder - I can pretty much get the root files to show somewhat but I seem to have some kind of a conflict in the sub folder - everytime I try to place the code - <?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_left.php'); ?> in one of the pages of the sub folder- the page completely disappears. Can anyone direct me?

Also which file and where is it - where I can adjust the styling of the the boxes for Search, Information box etc.

I am really stumped.

Marie,

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with that code but it would not have anything to do with STS.

Regarding the boxes, this has been discussed a lot lately in this thread. Just a few posts up: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1227006

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I hope that this goes through because this thread looks weird now. Used to have over 100 pages?

Well, anyway... I am unsure if this is a STS question or if I should put in the General thread. I am working on entering track listings for CDs. I have a tab effect where you can click on a tab for Disc 1 and see the tracks and then click on a tab next to it called Disc 2. It toggles back and forth. It saves the page from being super long. Initially I did not think I could get it to work by entering it in the Product Details. However, I have gotten a few to work but then some are not working.

What happens is it cuts the page off. An error comes up referencing the product_info.php page but I have not made any edits to this page. Should I put the javascript on the product_info.pgp page? What I am working on calls 3 separate javascript files. I had included them and entered with other HTML code into the Product Details area. Then, I uploaded the files to the web host server. I made sure the paths were all correct in the code.

Just not sure why it keeps cutting the page off? When I preview them everything looks great but it does not look correct on the "live" site. It will display the first CD and the tabs work great but then any other after that are cut off.

I really do not expect a lot of help on this since it is javascript but I am hoping someone out there may have had a similar experience and be able to lend some guidance.

Thanks!!

Hello, okay so I decided to give up on the javascript thing. So now i am listing my CD tracks in tables. I have 4 tables that go down the page vertically. However, my page is cutting off? It will not display the 4th table. It looks good in the "Preview" in the admin panel but cuts off on the live site.

Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this? Is there a page length limit for the product details page?

Thanks!

Hello, okay so I decided to give up on the javascript thing. So now i am listing my CD tracks in tables. I have 4 tables that go down the page vertically. However, my page is cutting off? It will not display the 4th table. It looks good in the "Preview" in the admin panel but cuts off on the live site.

Does anyone have any idea why it is doing this? Is there a page length limit for the product details page?

Thanks!

I just tried putting in colored tables as a test (no content or images) about 7 of them and they ALL show up fine. However, when I paste the code for my "real" tables with content and images, it looks great in the preview but cuts off on the live site. I just have no idea what the issue is. :unsure:

Sounds to me like a case of a missing opening or closing tag within the table. Try viewing your page source on the live site on a product page where this is happening, and see where exactly in the HTML code it is being cut off. Then go to that area within your description and see what is missing :thumbsup:

I just tried putting in colored tables as a test (no content or images) about 7 of them and they ALL show up fine. However, when I paste the code for my "real" tables with content and images, it looks great in the preview but cuts off on the live site. I just have no idea what the issue is. :unsure:

~Tracy

Sounds to me like a case of a missing opening or closing tag within the table. Try viewing your page source on the live site on a product page where this is happening, and see where exactly in the HTML code it is being cut off. Then go to that area within your description and see what is missing :thumbsup:

Thank you Tracy! I just tried hand coding 4 tables with track listings and it is still doing the same thing. It is always the same problem. The first three tables looks great and then all of the sudden part of the 4th table shows and then cuts off.

I checked all of the tags and everything looks fine. I am stumped! :sweating: I am creating my tables in Dreamweaver but using the Code View, then copying and pasting the code into the Product Description (in the Admin area). Maybe I should break down and install the WYSIWYG Contribution.

Thank you Tracy! I just tried hand coding 4 tables with track listings and it is still doing the same thing. It is always the same problem. The first three tables looks great and then all of the sudden part of the 4th table shows and then cuts off.

I checked all of the tags and everything looks fine. I am stumped! :sweating: I am creating my tables in Dreamweaver but using the Code View, then copying and pasting the code into the Product Description (in the Admin area). Maybe I should break down and install the WYSIWYG Contribution.

Okay - this is very strange... I went back into the EDIT mode for the Product Description and now there is code missing so this would make sense that the last portion of my table is not showing up. I tried it again - I pasted ALL of the code in there - scrolled to the bottom and confirm it is there - previewed it - inserted. I went back into EDIT mode and once again part of my code has disappeared.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?? :wacko:

Hmmm - well, I use DW myself and haven't had any problems except with super long PHP files. If it's over 1,500 lines I tend to just use WinMerge or Notepad to edit it.

If you view the source code of the page in the browser, is the HTML for the table coming through correctly? It could very well have to do with the length of the product description as it is a database field. The size is set in the database itself. Mine is blank though - so I don't believe it has a limit to it's size in my database - but maybe yours is different?

~Tracy

Hmmm - well, I use DW myself and haven't had any problems except with super long PHP files. If it's over 1,500 lines I tend to just use WinMerge or Notepad to edit it.

If you view the source code of the page in the browser, is the HTML for the table coming through correctly? It could very well have to do with the length of the product description as it is a database field. The size is set in the database itself. Mine is blank though - so I don't believe it has a limit to it's size in my database - but maybe yours is different?

Hi Tracy. Yeah if I right click on the live page and view source it definitely cuts off. There are over 1000 lines of code. I am not sure how to check the DB field limit. I will have to research that. Thank you for your help!!

Ok - the type of database field (text) is limited in size by the version of MySQL you are using. For version 5 this is the size differences:

Storage Requirements for String Types

In the following table, M represents the declared column length in characters for non-binary string types and bytes for binary string types. L represents the actual length in bytes of a given string value.

Data Type Storage Required

CHAR(M) M × w bytes, 0 <= M <= 255, where w is the number of bytes required for the maximum-length character in the character set

BINARY(M) M bytes, 0 <= M <= 255

VARCHAR(M), VARBINARY(M) L + 1 bytes if column values require 0 – 255 bytes, L + 2 bytes if values may require more than 255 bytes

TINYBLOB, TINYTEXT L + 1 bytes, where L < 28

BLOB, TEXT L + 2 bytes, where L < 216

MEDIUMBLOB, MEDIUMTEXT L + 3 bytes, where L < 224

LONGBLOB, LONGTEXT L + 4 bytes, where L < 232

ENUM('value1','value2',...) 1 or 2 bytes, depending on the number of enumeration values (65,535 values maximum)

SET('value1','value2',...) 1, 2, 3, 4, or 8 bytes, depending on the number of set members (64 members maximum)

Variable-length string types are stored using a length prefix plus data. The length prefix requires from one to four bytes depending on the data type, and the value of the prefix is L (the byte length of the string). For example, storage for a MEDIUMTEXT value requires L bytes to store the value plus three bytes to store the length of the value.

So maybe try changing the type of field from "text" to "longtext" and see if that allows you enough space :thumbsup:

(for more info on the pasted part above see: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/sto...quirements.html )

Okay - this is very strange... I went back into the EDIT mode for the Product Description and now there is code missing so this would make sense that the last portion of my table is not showing up. I tried it again - I pasted ALL of the code in there - scrolled to the bottom and confirm it is there - previewed it - inserted. I went back into EDIT mode and once again part of my code has disappeared.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?? :wacko:

~Tracy

Ok - the type of database field (text) is limited in size by the version of MySQL you are using. For version 5 this is the size differences:

Storage Requirements for String Types

In the following table, M represents the declared column length in characters for non-binary string types and bytes for binary string types. L represents the actual length in bytes of a given string value.

Data Type Storage Required

CHAR(M) M × w bytes, 0 <= M <= 255, where w is the number of bytes required for the maximum-length character in the character set

BINARY(M) M bytes, 0 <= M <= 255

VARCHAR(M), VARBINARY(M) L + 1 bytes if column values require 0 – 255 bytes, L + 2 bytes if values may require more than 255 bytes

TINYBLOB, TINYTEXT L + 1 bytes, where L < 28

BLOB, TEXT L + 2 bytes, where L < 216

MEDIUMBLOB, MEDIUMTEXT L + 3 bytes, where L < 224

LONGBLOB, LONGTEXT L + 4 bytes, where L < 232

ENUM('value1','value2',...) 1 or 2 bytes, depending on the number of enumeration values (65,535 values maximum)

SET('value1','value2',...) 1, 2, 3, 4, or 8 bytes, depending on the number of set members (64 members maximum)

Variable-length string types are stored using a length prefix plus data. The length prefix requires from one to four bytes depending on the data type, and the value of the prefix is L (the byte length of the string). For example, storage for a MEDIUMTEXT value requires L bytes to store the value plus three bytes to store the length of the value.

So maybe try changing the type of field from "text" to "longtext" and see if that allows you enough space :thumbsup:

(for more info on the pasted part above see: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/sto...quirements.html )

Thank you. I am using Version 5.0. I am not a database person so I am not even sure where to look for the files. I just set up the DB through the web host CPanel. I will checkout the link you provided. Thanks again.

Thank you. I am using Version 5.0. I am not a database person so I am not even sure where to look for the files. I just set up the DB through the web host CPanel. I will checkout the link you provided. Thanks again.

I found it. I was able to find another thread on how to make changes in the DB. I was able to view through PHPmyAdmin. I changed it to LONGTEXT but unfortunately it did not make a difference. While just now experimenting even more... I tried using 32 tables with over 2,000 lines of code. I did not use nested tables OR spacer.gifs and it looks fine.

This is not exactly how I wanted to do these tables for the track listings but for whatever reason I cannot use the nested tables I guess?

Hi All!

I'm trying to use a nice multilevel menu from dynamic drive (and have been trying the Sothink DHTML menu package too...) for the development of a shop using STS 4.5.3.

Problem: When using the links in the menues (with url:s like index.php, specials.php) the cart seams to be emptied. Maybe the session is lost or something?

Clue: When I disable STS and put the nice menues in header.php it works as expected.

Is it possible to have both working somehow? Do I have to edit sts_user_code.php or something?

//Micke

Without being able to see your code for your product description and the code that is being output to your browser (under view -> source in your browser window) it is really difficult to know what the problem is.

I found it. I was able to find another thread on how to make changes in the DB. I was able to view through PHPmyAdmin. I changed it to LONGTEXT but unfortunately it did not make a difference. While just now experimenting even more... I tried using 32 tables with over 2,000 lines of code. I did not use nested tables OR spacer.gifs and it looks fine.

This is not exactly how I wanted to do these tables for the track listings but for whatever reason I cannot use the nested tables I guess?

~Tracy

Hey Bill,

I'm sure I'm just being dense this morning - but I've made a change to the includes/footer.php file and for some reason that change is not showing up on my site. Any idea why :huh: I think I remember something about STS and footer.php but for the life of me I can't seem to pull it out of memory or find it via search :blush:

~Tracy

Without being able to see your code for your product description and the code that is being output to your browser (under view -> source in your browser window) it is really difficult to know what the problem is.

Thanks Tracy. I can send you the code through a PM and if you have time to look at it, that would be great. If not, no problem at all. Unfortunately, the web host is having server problems and I cannot access the site right now. Thanks again for your advice and guidance!! I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Got a weird issue on a site i upgraded from an old sts release in that $cataloglogo doesnt display if i view the source the actual url is listed just no image is displayed and no mention of the image in the source

Ive checked general.php and its in there, and every other one displays fine

anyone have any ideas?

Edited by alba

Not sure if this is a STS or basic osCommerce question.

I have a few products that "do not" have prices attached to them. However, when you view it in the product listing or the details page, it shows up as 0.00. Is there any way to disable the 0.00 from showing up if there is no price for a product?

Thank you

Here's one I've not seen before - and is not an STS issue but I don't know where else the brilliant minds hang out to ask :blush:

What would cause a form to function correctly in IE but not in FireFox? It's the same script, same page, same form, etc.... But if I load it up in Firefox it does not work - whereas if I load it up in IE it works just fine :blink:

In IE the submit button gives the url ending in "?action=insert" In Firefox it gives the url ending in "?testimonial_id="

Here's the form:

<form name="customer_testimonial" method="post" action="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_CUSTOMER_TESTIMONIALS2, 'action=insert', 'NONSSL'); ?>">
	<td><table align="center" width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
	  <tr>
		<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '1', '10'); ?></td>
	  </tr>
	  <tr>
		<td class="main" align="center"><?php echo TEXT_TESTIMONIALS_INTRO; ?></td>
	   </tr>
	  <tr>
		<td class="main" align="center">************************</td>
	   </tr>
	   <tr>
		<td><table align="center" width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr>
		<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_TESTIMONIALS_TITLE; ?></td>
		<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('testimonials_title',  $testimonials_title, '', true); ?></td>
	  </tr>
	  <tr>
		<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_TESTIMONIALS_NAME; ?></td>
		<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('testimonials_name', $testimonials_name, '', true); ?></td>
	  </tr>
	  <tr>
		<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_TESTIMONIALS_LAST_NAME; ?></td>
		<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('testimonials_last_name', $testimonials_last_name, '', true); ?></td>
	  </tr>
	  <tr>
		<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_TESTIMONIALS_URL; ?></td>
		<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_input_field('testimonials_url', $testimonials_url); ?></td>
	  </tr>
	  <tr>
		<td colspan="2"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '1', '10'); ?></td>
	  </tr>
	  <tr>
		<td valign="top" class="main"><?php echo TEXT_BANNERS_HTML_TEXT; ?></td>
		<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('html_text', 'soft', '130', '5', $html_text); ?></td>
	  </tr></table></td></tr></tr>
	</table></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '1', '10'); ?></td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
	<td><table align="center" border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2">
	  <tr>
		<td align="center" class="main"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CUSTOMER_TESTIMONIALS2, 'testimonial_id=' . $full_testimonial['testimonials_id']) .  '">' . tep_image_submit('button_submit.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_INSERT). '</a>'; ?></td>
		<td align="center" class="main"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, '', 'NONSSL') . '">' . tep_image_button('button_continue.gif', IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE) . '</a>'; ?></td>
	  </tr>
	</table></td>
  </form>

Anybody ever come across this before? I'm stumped! :blink:

~Tracy

Not sure if this is a STS or basic osCommerce question.

I have a few products that "do not" have prices attached to them. However, when you view it in the product listing or the details page, it shows up as 0.00. Is there any way to disable the 0.00 from showing up if there is no price for a product?

Thank you

I found a contribution by doing a Google search so I will try this. http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4085

I found a contribution by doing a Google search so I will try this. http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4085

That would be the correct one to use. :thumbsup:

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions