• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

You may want to take a look at the Featured Products contribution (I have uploaded a version with detailed STS instructions. http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,651

Reading the details about it, it implies that it has to be setup with in the admin area and the products to be listed have to be selected. This isn't really what I want, I just want a new way of displaying the category index' so instead of the awful looking 3 column "panel" affair with a pic on the left, description in the middle, then price then Buy Now. I just want a 4xY grid of products, with a pic on top, product title underneth and then the price under that, no description and no buy now.

For the Specials, are you referring to the image as well or just wanting to add the specials.php box to the front page? If it is the latter, just add the $specialsbox tag to your home page.

No, here's a shot of what I'm working on as a store site for a client ...

newshop.png

Notice the top product on the main body is the where I want and how, the Specials to appear.

Edited by Stewart Gilray

hi,

can anyone help....i thought i'd give the sts a try but after two installs i still get this error:

Warning: main(includes/application_top.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/user/public_html/shop/index.php on line 13

Warning: main(includes/application_top.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/user/public_html/shop/index.php on line 13

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/application_top.php' (include_path='.:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/php4/lib/php') in /home/user/public_html/shop/index.php on line 13

the 1st installation seemed to work and i even managed to get into admin to install sts. The problem started when i changed the 'test' template to 'full'.

Anyone any ideas what i should do??

Thanks

Edited by janice171

hi,

can anyone help....i thought i'd give the sts a try but after two installs i still get this error:

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/application_top.php' (include_path='.:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/php4/lib/php') in /home/user/public_html/shop/index.php on line 13

the 1st installation seemed to work and i even managed to get into admin to install sts. The problem started when i changed the 'test' template to 'full'.

Anyone any ideas what i should do??

Thanks

Janice,

Leave all of the other settings as the default settings and then it should work for you.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Reading the details about it, it implies that it has to be setup with in the admin area and the products to be listed have to be selected. This isn't really what I want, I just want a new way of displaying the category index' so instead of the awful looking 3 column "panel" affair with a pic on the left, description in the middle, then price then Buy Now. I just want a 4xY grid of products, with a pic on top, product title underneth and then the price under that, no description and no buy now.

No, here's a shot of what I'm working on as a store site for a client ...

Notice the top product on the main body is the where I want and how, the Specials to appear.

There is a contribution that allows you to create as many or as little columns as you want, as most people usually opt for a 3xy grid, although you could do 4 just remember that depending on your template design especially if you have one that is centered in the middle of the screen it may push your store out.

As for the Specials, that is also down by another contribution called Specials by Category. Which does exactly what the name says it creates a special item for each category, but you will hvae to specify which product you want as a special.

Specials by Category (There are several ones so you can chose the one best for your needs)

Link

http://addons.oscommerce.com/category?sear...als+by+category

Multiple Coulmns

Link

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/112

Edited by Eighteen48

Powered By osC 2.2RC2a STS 4.5.8 - HTC 2.6.3 - FP 1.5.9 - BCH 1.0.0

Hello

it may be a newbie quiz but i'm kinda desperate here! i've search the forum for answers maybe i'm not searching where i should... :(

I really need to know how to call a STS defined variable in php!

description:

i "have product_info.php" like so:

==================

<?php DEFINE ('STS_CONTENT_END_CHAR', '$'); ?>

$startform$

<br>$productname$

<br>$productmodel$

<div align="center">$product_popup$</div>

<br>Price: $regularprice$ $specialprice$

<br>Desc: $productdesc$

ID produs in baza: $productsid$

$endform$

================

i really need to call $productdesc$ for example in php ... (trim it, etc)

do i do domething like (in the same file)

<?

echo $productdesc;

?>

but i don't see no output at all!

How can i get that?... or any other sts variable?

please help asap as i'm in a desperate situation...

Thank you very very much

:huh:

Thanks BKELLUM...but still no joy.

I have now deleted the database and files and started from a clean slate and now i get this error on step 4 of installation:

Warning: main(../includes/database_tables.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/user/public_html/shop/install/templates/pages/install_4.php on line 13

Warning: main(../includes/database_tables.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/user/public_html/shop/install/templates/pages/install_4.php on line 13

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '../includes/database_tables.php' (include_path='.:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/php4/lib/php') in /home/user/public_html/shop/install/templates/pages/install_4.php on line 13

Does anyone know what i should do?

Thanks for any help

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Oscommerce and STS and i really need some help. I have followed all the instructions for installing STS and I created a page in HTML which I save as sts_template in the test folder. However nothing seems to be happening to my store.

It still has the old layout not even any images have shown up. Please tell me if I am missing something. Maybe I have uploaded my css file and images to the wrong folder?

Is there a step by step guide to actually modifying the store the doc that I downloaded with the STS is a bit vague for me....sorry I did say I was new to this!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz.

P.s. Just wanted to add I have installed the module from the admin side also.

Edited by Nisa

Hello

it may be a newbie quiz but i'm kinda desperate here! i've search the forum for answers maybe i'm not searching where i should... :(

I really need to know how to call a STS defined variable in php!. . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . please help asap as i'm in a desperate situation...

Thank you very very much

:huh:

If you read through the manual towards the in the STS tags are listed that you can use to customize your template, for instance $content is used to populate the main body of your pages or infoboxes if you have made a template for that.

With STS you do not need to worry about calling any php or anything just create a html template and put the tags of your choice in your desired locations.

I suggest you take a look at the templates supplied with STS so you can get a better idea of what is going on. And if you have a WYSIWYG editor that is even better as you can see full how the tags are place and what you need to do.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Eighteen48

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to Oscommerce and STS and i really need some help. I have followed all the instructions for installing STS and I created a page in HTML which I save as sts_template in the test folder. However nothing seems to be happening to my store.

It still has the old layout not even any images have shown up. Please tell me if I am missing something. Maybe I have uploaded my css file and images to the wrong folder?

Is there a step by step guide to actually modifying the store the doc that I downloaded with the STS is a bit vague for me....sorry I did say I was new to this!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz.

P.s. Just wanted to add I have installed the module from the admin side also.

Make sure you specify STS to use that particular template by going into the Modules --> STS --> Default.

Once under Default template name type in the name of the template you want to use.

Note this is only if you want that template to be used throughout your whole store. If you just want that template to be used for a certain category or certain page you need to name it accordingly, for example if you just want that template to be used on the index of your store you would name it "index.php_0.html.

There is more info on naming the template for certain categories, pages, etc in the STS User Manual.

Thanks BKELLUM...but still no joy.

I have now deleted the database and files and started from a clean slate and now i get this error on step 4 of installation:

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '../includes/database_tables.php' (include_path='.:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/php4/lib/php') in /home/user/public_html/shop/install/templates/pages/install_4.php on line 13

Does anyone know what i should do?

Thanks for any help

It seems as if your permissions are not set correctly in your directory that your attempting to installed osC in check to make sure everything is CHMOD properly, as well as you have uploaded all your files.

Make sure you specify STS to use that particular template by going into the Modules --> STS --> Default.

Once under Default template name type in the name of the template you want to use.

Note this is only if you want that template to be used throughout your whole store. If you just want that template to be used for a certain category or certain page you need to name it accordingly, for example if you just want that template to be used on the index of your store you would name it "index.php_0.html.

There is more info on naming the template for certain categories, pages, etc in the STS User Manual.

Hi Eighteen48,

Thanks alot for the reply. Yes, I had already changed the default template name. I also tried changing it to sts_blank_template (the file that is included with STS) to see if it would register, but it still shows up the same shopfront that it orignally had.

I just noticed one thing...on the installation it refers to folder catlog...I don't have a folder catlog in my OsCommerce installation and so I just put everything in their corrosponding folders...i.e...includes>classes....etc. I didnt think it mattered as I was still placing them in the correct folder but maybe it does??

Please help.

Thanks,

Liz.

Hi Eighteen48,

Thanks alot for the reply. Yes, I had already changed the default template name. I also tried changing it to sts_blank_template (the file that is included with STS) to see if it would register, but it still shows up the same shopfront that it orignally had.

I just noticed one thing...on the installation it refers to folder catlog...I don't have a folder catlog in my OsCommerce installation and so I just put everything in their corrosponding folders...i.e...includes>classes....etc. I didnt think it mattered as I was still placing them in the correct folder but maybe it does??

Please help.

Thanks,

Liz.

When you see the the mention Folder Catalog, it just means the base of your store, for example my site is configured as such http://mysite.com/store, I created a folder called styles placed in my store and in that folder is the name of my template. So it looks like this My Site --> store --> styles --> theme1 all my files related to that theme is located in theme1 folder including all images and stylesheets. just make sure that your paths are correct.

I hope I have not confused you.

Basically all you have to do is just upload all the files to their respective folders so anything in catalog would go to where your store is located.

Catalog --> Includes /yoursite.com/includes or however you have your store configureed yoursite.com/store/includes

Also make sure you refresh your site, as sometimes broswers will cache your page so you wont see the changes until you force a refresh.