• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

Hi Bill,

I installed the August 25th version. I checked in the admin and it says that the default folder for modules is: /var/www/vhosts/alcova.biz/httpdocs/includes/modules/sts/

what do I have to copy in there exactly? the includes/sts_templates/test and full folders or their content?

I thied copying the 2 folders in sts/ but still I got the error.

Then I tried copying the contend of /full/ folder directly into /sts/ but still got the same error.

what am I doing wrong?

Stefano

Stefano,

First...make sure you have installed STS correctly by turning off the Infobox Templates in the admin/modules/sts section and turning on STS in the Default module section by setting the "Use Templates?" to "true". Open your catalog (store in browser) to see if STS is working properly.

Second...if STS is working properly, then go back to admin/modules/sts section and turn on the Infobox Templates. Run your store in your browser again. If you get the same error then go to step 3:

Three...You are getting this error because you do not have the folder "boxes" uploaded into your template folder. On your server, you should have the following folder structure for this contribution (you will have this by default unless you missed some files in your installation):

"mystore.com/catalog/includes/sts_templates/test/boxes"

In the above example, you would substitute "test" for whatever template folder you named in the admin/modules/sts section of your admin panel of your store. (see User Manual)

If you do not have the above file structure, then you missed some files in your installation or you did not add the settings needed in your admin/modules/sts section of your store. (see User Manual)

Hope this helps,

Bill Kellum

Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

perhaps I didn't ask my question correctly and so I am asking again. I have installed the latest version of the STS template system and so far its working like a dream, however, the content portion, the part which is identified with the variable $content in the sts_template file; according to the documentation, this information is retrieved from the file which is located here catalog/includes/modules/sts_inc/column_right.php. I am wondering how to use the template system to create a template for this area that looks something like this

Untitled-2.gif

I've read the documentation but I am honestly confused as to how to accomplish it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take a exemple :

I want to modifiy the display on the page "conditions.php"

I edit in admin the module 'default' of STS for use the template "mine/template.php.html"

template.php.html :

<?php DEFINE ('STS_END_CHAR', '$'); ?>
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">
<html $htmlparams$>
<head>
<!--$headcontent-->
</head>
<body>
My template<br>
$content$
</body>
</html>

...a good design :P

In includes/modules/sts/

I duplicate sts_product_info.php to sts_conditions.php

I make a search/replace to the string 'product_info' and I replace by 'conditions'

In includes/modules/sts_inc/

- I make conditions_sts.php

include (DIR_WS_MODULES.'sts_inc/conditions.php');
$sts->template= array_merge($sts->template,$template_conditions );
$sts->template['sysmsgs']= $messageStack->output('header');

- I make conditions.php

<?php
$template_conditions['test'] = "hello";
?>

in /includes/sts_templates/mine/content/

I make conditions.php.html

<?php DEFINE ('STS_CONTENT_END_CHAR', '$'); ?>
$test$

In admin

Install the module conditions and activate.

When I go my browser to the page conditions.php, the template is display correctly, but the $content$ is the same of the page conditions.php who are in the root of my shop.

I want to customize the content of the page by the template variable system of STS.

I make this operation with succes for the pages shopping_cart.php, product_info.php and login.php

So I don't understand why I can't make the same for this pages ?

Few mistakes in your procedure, so here are my comments:

1) You do not need to change the default module configuration to create content template for conditions.php. You can keep the original folder and default template names.

2) It was correct to copy module sts_product_info.php and rename it sts_conditions.php, but: inside your module you have 2 important functions:

- The first one is find_template (): it will be called by sts, when the module is enabled, to know which template should be used for header/columns/footer. This function should return 'conditions.php.html' if it exists or, if not, should return STS_DEFAULT_TEMPLATE.

- The second is find_content_template () and is called from the first function. This one returns the name of the content template to use, if any. This function is used by the module itself, so you can remove the calling parameters like products_id and sts_cpath, rename it or whatever. So at this place you should check if there is a content/conditions.php.html content template. Return an empty string if no content template found.

3) In your module configuration in admin, you should add conditions.php in the list of files to include with content templates (so looks like this: sts_user_code.php;conditions.php).

- Rigadin

Hello,

I think this is a very stupid question, but I couldn't find an answer and I couldn't figure it out myself.

I need to create a template file for categories (not one specific category, but one file for all categories). Could anyone tell me what should I use as a file name for this purpose?

I tried "categories.php_0.html", "categories.php.html" and "categories_0.php.html" but non of them worked.

Thank you for your support.

The file that displays categories is index.php, so categories*.html templates will never work.

You can do the trick like this:

- in admin, you must enable the index module, as it takes care of finding the right template for the index page.

- Create a template index.php.html, it will be used for all categories.

- I know, this template is also used for the main page, so now create a separate template index.php_0.html for the main page only.

- Rigadin

Hi there,

It seem I found a way to my problem.

I use some STS Modules (16 exactly).

Each module have a unic sort_order (1 to 16)

I found 2 issues :

1 - If 2 or more modules have the same sort_order, only the first loaded display the good content template.

2 - I can't have more than 13 modules activated in a same time (the 12 first are display and not the next modules)

For examples, there are my STS modules :

-- A ---

1 Default [activate]

2 Index [activate]

3 Shopping Cart [activate]

... [activate]

12 Address Book [activate]

13 Account Password [activate]

14 Account History [activate]

-> The "13 Account Password" and "14 Account History" don't work

-- B --

1 Default [activate]

2 Index [activate]

3 Shopping Cart [desactivate]

... [activate]

12 Address Book [activate]

13 Account Password [activate]

14 Account History [activate]

-> The "14 Account History" don't work, and 13 is ok !

I think there a limit for oscommerce modules.

Somebody use more than 12 STS modules with succes ?

Thanks for your help

Interesting... never used so many modules but I think the problem is not in STS itself but in the way osCommerce handle the modules. The installed modules are saved in a text field (like configuration parameters), probably that the size is limited for example to 256 chars and your module #14 is over this limit => never shows up. No time to check this for now... maybe next week.

You could post your modules in the STS PowerPack contribution, I'm sure other people are interested. I am...

- Rigadin

A couple of things...

First, did you check to see that you inserted the "headertags.php" in the "Files to include" section in the STS modules according to the installation instructions?

Second, check your file permissions.

Let me know if this helped you out,

Bill Kellum

headertags_in_STS.gif

Bill,

I didn't know what was wrong so I started from scratch. I removed all files and reloaded everything. I bet that I somehow the files didn't get loaded correctly onto the server. I find that when I load a large number of files I have to do it more then once to get them all onto the server. Thanks for your help. Now I need to see if I have anymore problem using it.

spwd01

The file that displays categories is index.php, so categories*.html templates will never work.

You can do the trick like this:

- in admin, you must enable the index module, as it takes care of finding the right template for the index page.

- Create a template index.php.html, it will be used for all categories.

- I know, this template is also used for the main page, so now create a separate template index.php_0.html for the main page only.

- Rigadin

That was exactly what I wanted to do.

Thank you so much for your support. I knew there should be something, but couldn't figure it out myself because I didn't knew that index.php.html will work.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Interesting... never used so many modules but I think the problem is not in STS itself but in the way osCommerce handle the modules. The installed modules are saved in a text field (like configuration parameters), probably that the size is limited for example to 256 chars and your module #14 is over this limit => never shows up. No time to check this for now... maybe next week.

I search in the tables 'configuration' & 'configuration_groups', but there no field 'configuration parameters'.

I think there a limit of OSC and not of STS.

You could post your modules in the STS PowerPack contribution, I'm sure other people are interested. I am...

Where I can found that ? I'm interresting so ! ;-)

I search in the tables 'configuration' & 'configuration_groups', but there no field 'configuration parameters'.

I think there a limit of OSC and not of STS.

OK guys !

I found the solution.

Rigadin you have right. The MySQL text field 'configuration_value' on table 'configuration' must be TEXT and NOT VARCHAR(255).

The entry 'Installed Modules MODULE_STS_INSTALLED' contains all the activate modules, and if there a limit of 255 caracters, you can't have more than ten or eleven activate templates modules in the same time.

Rulez ! :P

The list of installed STS modules can be found in table 'configuration', configuration_key=MODULE_STS_INSTALLED, and the modules are listed in the column 'configuration_value'. As you can see, this column is now limited to 255 chars and should be set higher in your case.

The STS Power Pack can be found here:

STS Power Pack

- Rigadin

I originally posted this by mistake to the contrib support section instead of contrib sts 4.

I have sts 4.2 with HTC installed and working fine, (I think). I have managed to learn enough html and css to get this far. I have gone over the sts documentation a zillion times, I have read the sts 4 thread, I have tried everything my brain can come up with. My public site is gemanje.com, but I am working on http://gemanje.com/index.php?sts_template=myshop , to get it working before putting out to the public.

The myaccount, checkout (etc) links are referencing the index of gemanje.com, how do I tell them to go to the login page, checkout page etc? I thought that if I put the $variable in there, it would at least get me to the default osc layout, and I could figure it out from there. I don't understand how to get the myaccount functions (for example) to actually function.

Could someone point me to a step by step? Create *this* file, with *this* code, save it to *this* folder...? Is this the same procedure to use when I try to get my category links to work? Am I supposed to have a bunch of "index.account.php.html, index.bracelet.php.html" files? I don't understand the "index.php_11_22_33.html" in the sts doc. Do these numbers mean something? And is there somewhere I can find out what they mean?

Please be gentle, I am so frustrated. I am not a programmer or web page designer, and I do not have the kind of money that I have seen charged for design/implementation services. I am just about ready to give up and use the out of the box version with a few color changes.

This is my index.php.html code (index.html is the same):

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<html $htmlparams>
<?php DEFINE('STS_END_CHAR','#');?>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="en-us">
<!--$headcontent-->
 <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="includes/sts_templates/myshop/stylesheet.css">

</head>

<body>

<div id="bodywrapper">

<div id="headerlogo"></div>
<div id="toplinkbar">$myaccountlogoff#		  $cartcontents#		  $checkout# </div>

<div id="maingoldwrapper">
  <div id="medallionwrapper">
	  <div id="innergoldwrapper">
		 <div id="contentwrapper">

<div id="nav">
			<ul>
			<li id="link1"><a href="includes/sts_templates/myshop/index.html" id="active">home</a></li>
			<li id="link2"><a href="includes/sts_templates/myshop/necklaces.html">necklaces</a></li>
			<li id="link3"><a href="includes/sts_templates/myshop/bracelets.html">bracelets</a></li>
			<li id="link4"><a href="includes/sts_templates/myshop/earrings.html">earrings</a></li>
			<li id="link5"><a href="includes/sts_templates/myshop/sets.html">sets</a></li>
			<li id="link6"><a href="includes/sts_templates/myshop/info.html">info</a></li>
			<li id="link7"><a href= ?gemanje.com/includes/languages/english/contact_us.php?>contact</a></li>
			</ul>
</div>  <!-- end nav box -->	

<div id="content"><div align="center">
		$content#

</div>

</div>   <!--  end content box  -->

</div> <!-- end contentwrapper -->
			 </div>	<!-- end innergoldwrapper -->
	 </div>	  <!-- end medallionwrapper -->
	 </div>		<!-- end maingoldwrapper -->

</div>		   <!-- end bodywrapper -->
<div id="footerbar">Copyright Anjelina Charme <br> Powered by <a href=oscommerce.com>Oscommerce</div>

</body>
</html>

I sincerely appreciate any help.

anje

learn...love...laugh...live

Hi all,

I've just re-installed HTC + STS (the package in the contribs) and I'm getting this error at the very bottom of my code (would it be caused by the footer? - after the reinstall, I noticed that the footer.php is smaller than my previous version of STS with the footer.php I think):

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_get_category_tree() (previously declared in /home/fhlinux184/i/ilovewaffle.co.uk/user/htdocs/store/includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_user_code.php:33) in /home/fhlinux184/i/ilovewaffle.co.uk/user/htdocs/store/includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_user_code.php on line 33

I ran the following find command to try and locate the declarations of tep_get_category_tree ...

[domain1129702@ssh5 store]$ find . -exec grep "function tep_get_category_tree" {} \; -ls
 function tep_get_category_tree($parent_id = '0', $spacing = '', $exclude = '', $category_tree_array = '', $include_itself = false) {
26395229   60 -rw-r--r--   1 domain11 vweb		55748 Aug  9 17:41 ./admin/includes/functions/general.php
 function tep_get_category_tree($parent_id = '0', $spacing = '', $exclude = '', $category_tree_array = '', $include_itself = false) {
5227190	8 -rw-r--r--   1 domain11 vweb		 5587 Aug 28 02:49 ./includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_user_code.php

But commenting out the def. in sts_user_code.php makes it complain that it can't find the tep_get_category_tree function...

Any advice from any gurus? =)

PS. temporary test site is www.ilovewaffle.co.uk :P

Thanks

For some reason, if I add the application_bottom.php as specified by STS 4.1:

// START STS 4.1 with footer patch
if ($sts->display_template_output) {
include DIR_WS_MODULES.'sts_inc/sts_footer.php';
}
//END STS 4.1

This causes the error. If I remove it, then it's fine. I'm guessing that there's some include in my sts_footer.php which redeclares the category thing that causes the problem.

If I remove it - I guess I have to hack around a bit before the footer template part works? I dunno ... now there's no error. I don't appear to be the first person with this problem either - Google search reveals others.

Hope this has helped someone without hindering too much =)

Hi,

I would like to exclude empty categoies form showing in the shop.

For example, I have 20 categories setup in the store, but only have products in 5 categories at the moment. Is there anyway to hide the rest??

thanks for you input,

perhaps I didn't ask my question correctly and so I am asking again. I have installed the latest version of the STS template system and so far its working like a dream, however, the content portion, the part which is identified with the variable $content in the sts_template file; according to the documentation, this information is retrieved from the file which is located here catalog/includes/modules/sts_inc/column_right.php. I am wondering how to use the template system to create a template for this area that looks something like this

Untitled-2.gif

I've read the documentation but I am honestly confused as to how to accomplish it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

can someone please tell me what i need to do to receive help on this thread? thank you...

Hi everybody,

Version 4 is a major release of the excellent STS contribution that you can find here: http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1524,

I started a new thread to not mix with STS v2/v3 questions and because the v2/v3 thread has reached 147 pages! If you have problem with STS v2 or v3, please look here: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...541&st=2920

The main advantages of this release are:

- Less code and several improvements, so should be faster..

- All templates are in their own folder, selection of folder is made in admin. Folder choice can be overwritten from URL for testing purposes.

- Use of modules for code specific to some pages (product_info.php for example), parameters accessible from admin (like shipping, payment or order total modules).

- Write own module for checkout, create account or else: easy to share like payment modules.

- Switch STS on/off from admin. When off, you will see your store like it was before STS installation.

- Debug mode still available from URL, but with a code defined by admin => works like a password.

- If STS is off, using debug mode from URL will turn it on only for you. Useful for testing without disturbing visitors.

- Ready for product page caching. Not implemented yet, but doors are open.

- Possibility to avoid sorting a big array (speed optimization), by adding a special char at the end of the placeholders, for example "$languages" becomes "$languages#". (Can be different on each template).

- Installation is still very easy, modifications only at beginning and end of some files.

- Possibility to have a template for header/columns/footer like always + a template for the content area. Useful with product_info: main template comes from the category where the product is, while the content itself is defined according to the product_info template.

- All boxes are now also available separately, no need to show specials if you want to show tell a friend box, no need to show best sellers if you want to show product notifications.

- Boxes that should not appear on certain pages will have an empty tag => customer won't see the placeholder name (try, in v2.x, $banner without having banner or $languages in checkout process page, you'll see what I mean.

- Possibility to write php script in the templates, like in STS v3.

- Compatible with templates made for STS v2 or v3

- Compatible with templates made for STS PLUS (STS v4.1 is based on STS PLUS 4.0.7, only few small modifications).

STS v4.1 is based on STS PLUS v4.0.7. STS PLUS itself is based on STS v3 but with so many changes in the code that I released it as a separate contribution.

Now, after positive feedback from the community and the blessing from the original author, Brian (great contribution, thanks Brian!), the code is back to where it belongs: STS.

Changelog from STS PLUS v4.0.7:

- UPDATED class sts.php: renewed some parts of the code. Include template file from within the sts class instead of from a separate function, so the template can use $this-> to access methods and variables from the sts class. Added function add_debug ($text, $br=true) that add text to the $sts->template['debug'] with a line break by default, it helps when you want to debug your store.

- DELETED sts_column_right.php as its 1 line code can be put directly in column_left.php

- UPDATED sts_footer.php: no need to record the variable columnright2footer as it does not contain any usable information. sts_display_output is now called from here.

- UPDATED examples in sts_user_code.php.

- UPDATED sts_display_output.php: do not display the template variable 'template_html' in debug mode because it makes the page very long and it only represents the source code of the page => you can look at the source code instead.

- UPDATED module sts_product_info.php v1.0.5 to use templates for products in a specific categories. Template product_info_c32 for products in category ID32 and in sub-categories. Works also for content templates.

- UPDATED sts_column_left.php to not show the reviews infobox when on the product_reviews_info.php page. The infobox and the page are using same variable names and it put mess when the infobox is called before the content of the page. This is a simple workaround. If you want the infobox to display all the time, you have to change the variable names inside the infobox (or inside the script of the page). I have not tested without STS, but I'm pretty sure that the problem is same, if the reviews infobox is placed in the left column.

You can also have a look at the STS PLUS thread here: http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=187122, as many problems you will face have been discussed there.

- Rigadin

Is there anyplace within these forum walls that kind of explains in more detail about how to set things up as far as this contribution.

I have seen it in action and think its great and have uploaded everything as instructed.

STS shows up in my admin/modules and everything seems to be fine but when I enable it, my site looses everything except what looks like the footer info, up at the top of the page.

Like I said, if someone could point me in the right direction within this site where I could find info from a newbies eyes.

Thanks.

I'm a victim of circumstance

Is there anyplace within these forum walls that kind of explains in more detail about how to set things up as far as this contribution.

I have seen it in action and think its great and have uploaded everything as instructed.

STS shows up in my admin/modules and everything seems to be fine but when I enable it, my site looses everything except what looks like the footer info, up at the top of the page.

Like I said, if someone could point me in the right direction within this site where I could find info from a newbies eyes.

Thanks.

If you are using STSv4.1 and have not installed the patches, I would suggest upgrading to version 4.2 that includes all of the bug fixes and patches.

I have an installation tutorial (screen shots) for STSv4.2 on my web site at soundsgoodpro.com.

I know you were asking for a tutorial on "using" STS and I will have one of those available on my site soon.

Bill Kellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

can someone please tell me what i need to do to receive help on this thread? thank you...

Hi there Lei,

STS doesn't control that aspect of the store display which is probably why you're getting no response.

The file you want to modify, if I'm reading your post properly is /includes/modules/product_listing.php

Take a look in contribs for Column Listing.

Hope that helps,

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

If you are using STSv4.1 and have not installed the patches, I would suggest upgrading to version 4.2 that includes all of the bug fixes and patches.

I have an installation tutorial (screen shots) for STSv4.2 on my web site at soundsgoodpro.com.

I know you were asking for a tutorial on "using" STS and I will have one of those available on my site soon.

Bill Kellum

I am using STSv4.2 already and like I said Im getting nothing but a blank page except for what looks like my footer showing up at the top of the page.

This is a long forum regarding this contribution and I have looked thru most all of it but still no luck with my problem.

It seems to be geared more towards people who understand the whole STS thing.

Im sure its some setting I have wrong in Admin possibly but from what I understand I should be able to set it to true while in Default and at least see something.

Im not even sure what place holders are and will do some google searching to get more familiar with the terms.

Was just hoping there was something written more for newbies but I look forward to reading the installation tutorial you have coming.

Thanks for your patience.

I'm a victim of circumstance

Hi there Lei,

STS doesn't control that aspect of the store display which is probably why you're getting no response.

The file you want to modify, if I'm reading your post properly is /includes/modules/product_listing.php

Take a look in contribs for Column Listing.

Hope that helps,

Iggy

:D thank you so very much for responding....I truly appreciate it..I will give it a try.....thank you again

Clean install of STSv4.2 over new OSC. I see all elements of the page except $content when the application loads. I do not see my welcome message nor new products. $content does not populate when a category is clicked either.

One potential issue: My domain is not propagated yet. I am still using the host server name and path.

Index page works fine with STS off.

Edited by esearing

If I remove it - I guess I have to hack around a bit before the footer template part works? I dunno ... now there's no error. I don't appear to be the first person with this problem either - Google search reveals others.

Hope this has helped someone without hindering too much =)

I had the same problem and commented out the patch/fix as well and it removed the error.

First, thank you for being the only person to help find a fix (I've had a call for help on the site for a few weeks for the same error).

Second, if there is a better way to handle, someone please let me/us/everyone know.

I had the same problem and commented out the patch/fix as well and it removed the error.

First, thank you for being the only person to help find a fix (I've had a call for help on the site for a few weeks for the same error).

Second, if there is a better way to handle, someone please let me/us/everyone know.

I have never had this issue and have not been able to duplicate it. There must be some other contrib or edit that has been made to your existing shop that is conflicting with the STS code.

I know that upgraders from STSv3 to STSv4.1 had similiar issues but it was because they had installed the patches from "Calley". Those patches caused double headers and also footer problems.

STSv4.2 did not include the patches from Calley and upgraders from STSv3 are still required to remove version 3 before installing version 4.2.

-Bill Kellum

Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I am using STS 4.2 and I am working on the index page of my catalog.

The only place holders that I am useing are $myaccountlogoff | $cartcontents | $checkout at the top and $content, $tellafriendbox in the middle. I removed the text for the TEXT MAIN in the includes/english/index.php file. However, I have the welcome message, New Products and other junk displayed. The ?tell a friend box? is not showing. How do I remove all the other content in the $content place holder? Which file to I manipulate and what parameters do I change?

http://crikeyspies.sarno.biz/catalog/

Thanks.

spwd01

Hello. I have just upgraded from STS 2.00 to STS 4.2. It realy made a difference in parsing time! Great contribution.

the main reason for upgrading was that I wanted to fiddle with templates for the category pages. In my shop I have approx. 20 main categories with 1-5 sub-categories each. There is never any products mixed with the sub-categories.

Now, I want:

one template for the mainpage (index_0.php.html?)

one default template for all category pages that displays it's sub-categories.

one default template for all sub-categories pages (that list products in this category)

Later on I will add specific templates for the category pages and sub-categories.

I have tried different approaches but I can't get this to work. I have managed to create templates for individual categories and sub-categories but I can't get a default template to work for the other categories.

How should I name my templates?

Do I need to do any aditional settings in admin or elsewere?

Thanks

/Fredrik