• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

Hey I am a total newbie here.. I have installed STS and I do not know how to use it.

I am not sure how does it work. Is it we can use HTML code to make our website ? Can anyone briefly teach me how to start please..

I can see the settings in my configuration panel. I have installed the "Default". Please explain how does STS really work.. THANKS !!

This is another newbie question, I'm afraid.

I can't seem to edit any of my three installed STS modules. The edit fields open, but when I hit Update, they just change back to what they were. I thought I had a permission problem with writing to something, but it doesn't seem to be the case with the STS files at least (I could be wrong). I'm sure it's something very basic. Any hints?

This is another newbie question, I'm afraid.

I can't seem to edit any of my three installed STS modules. The edit fields open, but when I hit Update, they just change back to what they were. I thought I had a permission problem with writing to something, but it doesn't seem to be the case with the STS files at least (I could be wrong). I'm sure it's something very basic. Any hints?

Try re-installing. Seems that some files didn't transfer properly. Specifically the files in the modules folder but I would re-install everything just to be sure. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps,

Bill Kellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi. I've used STS for some time now but have a question.

How do you move the $categorybox around with <div> tags?

For example, the category box is displayed in my html table but its too far to the left.

So I put <div> tags around it to center it but it will not work.

Pls help.

Hey I am a total newbie here.. I have installed STS and I do not know how to use it.

I am not sure how does it work. Is it we can use HTML code to make our website ? Can anyone briefly teach me how to start please..

I can see the settings in my configuration panel. I have installed the "Default". Please explain how does STS really work.. THANKS !!

I will assume you have installed STS version 4.2.

OK, open the sts_template.html file located in the "test" folder in your favorite HTML editor. This template has a generic header which has a green background. It also has the main page divided into three columns with STS placeholders located in each.

These "placeholders" represent infoboxes and such in your store. Read the User Manual that was provided to get an explanation of each placeholder. You can add or remove any placeholder that you desire. For example, if you would rather have the category infobox located in the right column instead of the left, just place the $categorybox placeholder in the right column of your template. The $content placeholder inserts the main text infobox from your store. If you want to change the layout of this section, you will need to install (enable) the "Index" module inside your STS admin panel as well as edit the "Default" module to use the "full" template folder. If you decide to use the "full" folder, you will need to edit the sts_template.html file in that folder since the "test" folder will not be used. Note: If you want to get rid of specific osCommerce text included in the $content section, you will need to do standard osCommerce editing of the PHP code to do so. You can also install an additional contribution (Define Main Page" to allow you to edit such text within the admin panel. A future release of STS will have such a feature integrated.

Edit each page to your hearts content.

Hope this helps, Bill Kellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

STS v4.2 with Header Tags Controller 2.5.9

A new complete package of these two contributions bundled together in one seamless installation has just been uploaded into the STS Contribution section. :thumbsup:

I feel that STS v4.2 and Header Tags Controller v2.5.9 should be a part of any osCommerce store. However, getting them both to work together can be quite a hurdle. I have uploaded a new contribution that provides a user friendly method of getting both of these contributions installed and working on your store.

:D

Have fun everyone, Bill Kellum

Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I hear that Credit Class & Gift voucher in both flavors install is a bear when u have STS. If you have integrated contribution CCGV contrib # 282 or CCGV(trad) contr # 4135 , plz chime in on how it went? any traps, mines, etc. to look for ?

STS 4.2 and CCGV 5.16 installed. Stunningly, no issues (except suppressing the js CC number of digits error and moving the redeem field above the CC entry fields). :thumbsup:

Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

Try re-installing. Seems that some files didn't transfer properly. Specifically the files in the modules folder but I would re-install everything just to be sure. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps,

Bill Kellum

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it didn't work. I uninstalled everything and reinstalled, this time using the latest "STS v4.2 with Header Tags Controller 2.5.9" package. It's a new store and I used the Clean_OsC install, so there shouldn't be any problem with missing or mis-edited files. The install again went fine, the database updated fine, the templates are there, and the STS modules appear as they should. But once again, I can't seem to update the modules from their presets. The default is set to "false", the index to "true" and the product info to "false" (I take it these are the correct presets). I can't, for example, add the Header Tag files. I can remove the modules and install them again, but the same problem happens.

I'm not getting any kind of error, it's just that something is not being updated/written over.

I'm on a dedicated server:

Server OS: FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE

Database: MySQL 4.1.20-log

HTTP Server: Apache/1.3.37

PHP Version: 4.3.10 (Zend: 1.3.0)

Again, any hints as to what the problem might be would be appreciated.

Hi. I've used STS for some time now but have a question.

How do you move the $categorybox around with <div> tags?

For example, the category box is displayed in my html table but its too far to the left.

So I put <div> tags around it to center it but it will not work.

Pls help.

Anyone? I'm not a newbie so I'm sure there are others who would like to know how to position the STS tags within a html table. I understand I could just reformat the table but there should be an easier way...so how can I move them? Like I said above the $categorybox automatically gets shoved over all the way to the left of the table cell and no matter what html formatting I do, I cannot get the $categorybox output to be centered in the table....

Anyone? I'm not a newbie so I'm sure there are others who would like to know how to position the STS tags within a html table. I understand I could just reformat the table but there should be an easier way...so how can I move them? Like I said above the $categorybox automatically gets shoved over all the way to the left of the table cell and no matter what html formatting I do, I cannot get the $categorybox output to be centered in the table....
Brian, I think Availnow would be a good resource for you to seek. He is working on a template that will integrate into STS that will be CSS instead of tables.

Good luck, Bill Kellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Maybe something like

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html $htmlparams>
<head>
<!--$headcontent-->
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">
</head>
<body>
<!-- Header Table -->
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0">
 <tr> 
<td valign="bottom">$cataloglogo</td>
<td align="center">$banner_only</td>
 </tr>
</table>
<!-- Nav Table -->
 <tr class="headerNavigation"> 
<td class="trailText">$breadcrumbs</font></td>
<td align="right" class="trailText">$myaccountlogoff | $cartcontents | $checkout</td>
 </tr>
</table>
<!-- 3 Columns Left/Content/Right Table -->
 <tr> 
<td width="1%" valign="top"> 
  <p>$categorybox
  <p>$catmenu
  <p>$searchbox
  <p>$manufacturerbox
  <p>$informationbox
  <p>$reviewsbox
</td>
<td width="98%" valign="top">
	$content
</td>
<td width="1%" valign="top"> 
  <p>$cartbox
  <p>$tellafriendbox
  <p>$maninfobox
  <p>$whatsnewbox
  <p>$bestsellersbox
  <p>$orderhistorybox
</td>
 </tr>
</table>
<br>
<!-- Footer Table -->
 <tr> 
<td align="center" class="main">$footer_text</td>
 </tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

You'll still have to tweak it. Set the td size and align="center". No divs if you don't need 'em.

HTH,

Iggy

Edited by Iggy

Hi there,

I have installed oscommerce onto my site. It is the first thing I have done on that space, so it is clean.

I have downloaded the STS v4.2 and Header Tags Controller 2.5.9, and am trying work out the installation of it. I am of course stupidly stuck at the very first part. I can not find the catalog section on my site to copy the clean_osc/catalog onto. I am using Lunar pages, who I did use previously. I did have an oscommerce site before, but it was built for me, so setting it up from scratch is new to me.

I found the public_html section, but there is no catalog file under that, or anywhere else that I can see.

What am I missing.

Any help would be greatfully received.

Thanks.

Hi there,

I have installed oscommerce onto my site. It is the first thing I have done on that space, so it is clean.

I have downloaded the STS v4.2 and Header Tags Controller 2.5.9, and am trying work out the installation of it. I am of course stupidly stuck at the very first part. I can not find the catalog section on my site to copy the clean_osc/catalog onto. I am using Lunar pages, who I did use previously. I did have an oscommerce site before, but it was built for me, so setting it up from scratch is new to me.

I found the public_html section, but there is no catalog file under that, or anywhere else that I can see.

What am I missing.

Any help would be greatfully received.

Thanks.

Can you access the store? If you can what's the path?

If it's http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog then public_html isn't your webroot. Hunt around till you find it.

If it's something other than the above just follow the path /somedir/someotherdir/.

Oh, and if you access your store as http://www.yourdomain.com then osC is installed AT your webroot and when you look in public_html you'll find all the files. Just mentally scrub /catalog from the instructions.

HTH,

Iggy

Hi Iggy,

Thanks for the reply (and for not making fun of me :P ).

My store is only visable if I put in www.hanaadult.com/index.php I have tried adding /catalog on the end, but it brings up a page not found message.

Would that mean I am looking to find the index file and mental making that my "catalog" file?

Thanks,

Amanda.

If it helps, this is all I can see under file manager,

File Manager

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click on a folder icon to navigate.

Click on a name to view its properties.

/ (Current Folder)

Create New Folder

Upload file(s)

.cpanel-datastore 700

.fantasticodata 755

.htpasswds 755

.trash 700

mail 750

public_ftp 755

public_html 755

tmp 755

www 755

Create New File

.bash_logout 0 k 0644

.bash_profile 0 k 0644

.bashrc 0 k 0644

.contactemail 0 k 0600

.emacs 0 k 0644

.lastlogin 0 k 0600

Thanks,

Amanda.

If it helps, this is all I can see under file manager,

File Manager

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click on a folder icon to navigate.

Click on a name to view its properties.

/ (Current Folder)

Create New Folder

Upload file(s)

.cpanel-datastore 700

.fantasticodata 755

.htpasswds 755

.trash 700

mail 750

public_ftp 755

public_html 755

tmp 755

www 755

Create New File

.bash_logout 0 k 0644

.bash_profile 0 k 0644

.bashrc 0 k 0644

.contactemail 0 k 0600

.emacs 0 k 0644

.lastlogin 0 k 0600

Thanks,

Amanda.

Amanda, be sure that you are scrolling completey down to see the full page of your file manager to see the folder names. From your previous post, it appears your store (osCommerce) was installed in the root directory of your web site, meaning you will not see an actual folder named "catalog" but you will see folders such as "admin" "includes" "images" "download" and such.

Hope this helps,

Bill Kellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

That was the full page that I copied, I just went back and double checked.

The one called www, likes to me like the most likely to be it. Do I copy the entire file over the top of that one?

Sorry to sound so dumb :-(

Amanda

This may help you:

Catalog Directory

The catalog directory is created only if you created it during the osCommerce installation. Most hosts who use cpanel type installations will create this directory. Otherwise it could be called anything you want such as "mystore" or "eshop" or whatever.

Web Server Document Path

The web server document path is the directory where the web server has been configured to look for the HTML/PHP files to serve to the public. Example web server document paths are:

• /home/hpdl/public_html/
  • /srv/www/htdocs/
  • /usr/local/htdocs/

If the catalog directory is kept and copied to, for example, /home/hpdl/public_html/catalog/, the web server public address would be http://www.my-server.com/catalog/'>http://www.my-server.com/catalog/.

If the osCommerce installation is to reside on the root path, for example http://www.my-server.com/, then the files within the catalog directory should be copied over and not the actual catalog directory itself.

Look here for more info concerning osCommerce default catalog directory: http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce_D...and_Upgrades/41

Hope this was helpful,

Bill Kellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I just went through the Update process for a modified osC store to install STS v4.2 and Header Tags Controller 2.5.9. Everything works quite well on the STS side of this contribution. My store is only slightly modified with only the AIM payment module contribution and upgrades to the latest osC 060817 update.

Some notes on my install:

The HTC portion of this installation is somewhat clunky. You'll need to:

1. Be very careful making the HTC code changes, especially to catalog/admin/categories.php
  2. Add code to includes/header_tags.php
  3. Copy includes/function/clean_html_comments.php from the clean_osc directories

1) for the categories.php changes, only copy in the //HTC labeled changes. The version of categories.php that was used was prior to the 051112 update and there where a lot of changes in that update.

2) Add to the top of includes/header_tags.php, just before the first "require" line

require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');

You can find this in the clean_osc version of this file, but not in the update version.

3) Move the includes/function/clean_html_comments.php file from the clean_osc directories.

Who knows what else isn't working as I haven't been using this mod yet. I thought I'm make a post for others to benefit from my pain. :thumbsup:

STS is extremely cool though, well worth the effort to learn how it works.

I just went through the Update process for a modified osC store to install STS v4.2 and Header Tags Controller 2.5.9. Everything works quite well on the STS side of this contribution. My store is only slightly modified with only the AIM payment module contribution and upgrades to the latest osC 060817 update.

Some notes on my install:

The HTC portion of this installation is somewhat clunky. You'll need to:

1. Be very careful making the HTC code changes, especially to catalog/admin/categories.php
  2. Add code to includes/header_tags.php
  3. Copy includes/function/clean_html_comments.php from the clean_osc directories

1) for the categories.php changes, only copy in the //HTC labeled changes. The version of categories.php that was used was prior to the 051112 update and there where a lot of changes in that update.

2) Add to the top of includes/header_tags.php, just before the first "require" line

require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');

You can find this in the clean_osc version of this file, but not in the update version.

3) Move the includes/function/clean_html_comments.php file from the clean_osc directories.

Who knows what else isn't working as I haven't been using this mod yet. I thought I'm make a post for others to benefit from my pain. :thumbsup:

STS is extremely cool though, well worth the effort to learn how it works.

Randy,

A lot of work was put into this contribution so I hope you do appreciate that fact.

I looked into your comments and found that the version of Header Tags Controller that I used to bundle with STSv4.2 was at fault here.

So...those that are upgrading over a new store should not have any issues at all. I always recommned using a file comparision tool such as the free WinMerge during any modifications to the store files just in case something like the outdated categories.php shows up. Thanks for pointing that out by the way...it will be changed immediatly.

Bill Kellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Randy,

A lot of work was put into this contribution so I hope you do appreciate that fact.

Bill Kellum

Definately! This is a great contribution.

Hi,

Me again. Worked it out to be my public_html directory and I have copied all of the files. I went with the standard sts v4.2 in the end, to try and simplify things.

All seemed to go well, but when I went into my admin, then modules, then sts, I get these errors;

Warning: main(/home/hanaa3/public_html/includes/languages/english/modules/sts/general.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hanaa3/public_html/admin/modules.php on line 136

Warning: main(/home/hanaa3/public_html/includes/languages/english/modules/sts/general.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/hanaa3/public_html/admin/modules.php on line 136

Warning: main(): Failed opening '/home/hanaa3/public_html/includes/languages/english/modules/sts/general.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/hanaa3/public_html/admin/modules.php on line 136

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/hanaa3/public_html/includes/modules/sts/general.php on line 37

I have gone over the files again, but I can not find a "general.php" anywhere. What did I do wrong?

Or where do I get this general.php file?

Thanks,

Amanda.

Sorry, I should say, I do see/know where the general.php is, just not how it corrolates to line 136;

include(DIR_FS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $language . '/modules/' . $module_type . '/' . $file);

and what I need to put in line 136 to make it happy :)