• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

Hello All.

I am a complete noob to STS - and web design for that matter. But I'm in charge of creating a website for my final year group project - setting up a business and proving it can make money. The website can be found at:

www.va-tutorials.co.uk

Basically, I have an osCommerce shop set up at www.va-tutorials.co.uk/catalog and I want to make it become more inkeeping with the website. After reading online, I've assumed that STS would provide me with the capability to do this. Is there any way that I can customise the STS templates so that the shop fits exactly into the main content section of my html pages (i.e. I want to use the main website as the template for the shop). To do this, I would have to be able to use the CSS file that I have used for the rest of the website to make sure that the rest of the page displays like any other page in the website.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, can I apply a stylesheet to a template and then place the placeholders into the styled template? Or does the template have to just simply be a skeleton? If I can do this, could someone teach me as if they are teaching an alien.

Thanks in advance.

I have still been trying to do this and have made no progress at all.

Im going to try to further explain a little bit just in case I said something wrong.

All of the product pages on my site are located outside of the catalog file folder of oscommerce.

the only way I link the product pages to oscommerce is through a buy now button which contains the link information to add a product to a cart. once clicked this brings you to the shopping cart which is working fine with STS templates.

What I can't seem to figure out is how to use the STS codes in my product page outside of the catalog folder. I thought that using php include on the product page of file called reviews.php.html which I made and put into the STS template folder would do the trick. This however only displays the code in text on my products page. In other words STS is not recognizing it as a page to interpret.

I included the:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<html $htmlparams>

<!--$headcontent-->

in the correct fashion Yet still can't figure out how to get this to work.

The main goal of this is to show the reviews of a given product from oscommerce reviews on my product page.

Any further help is massively appreciated.

Hello All.

I am a complete noob to STS - and web design for that matter. But I'm in charge of creating a website for my final year group project - setting up a business and proving it can make money. The website can be found at:

www.va-tutorials.co.uk

Basically, I have an osCommerce shop set up at www.va-tutorials.co.uk/catalog and I want to make it become more inkeeping with the website. After reading online, I've assumed that STS would provide me with the capability to do this. Is there any way that I can customise the STS templates so that the shop fits exactly into the main content section of my html pages (i.e. I want to use the main website as the template for the shop). To do this, I would have to be able to use the CSS file that I have used for the rest of the website to make sure that the rest of the page displays like any other page in the website.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, can I apply a stylesheet to a template and then place the placeholders into the styled template? Or does the template have to just simply be a skeleton? If I can do this, could someone teach me as if they are teaching an alien.

Thanks in advance.

STS is the perfect tool to do what you are wanting.

Simply make your main website into a STS template. In other words, if you want osCommerce functionality to work on your home page, you need to make your home page a STS template. For example, in osCommerce, the home page is index.php. In a static web site, the home page is usually index.html. If you have installed osCommerce in the root directory (http://www.yoursite.com/index.php), then your STS home page template would be index.php_0.html. This template can look exactly like your current home page, but you will be adding the $content tag in the main content section of the page.

Be sure your home page template (as all your other STS templates, have the following tags in them (<!--$headcontent--> $htmlparams):

<html $htmlparams>

<head>

<!--$headcontent-->

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="$templatedir/stylesheet.css">

</head>

Your other STS templates would be named index.php.html for the default category templates and sts_template.html for your default page template. See the STS contribution docs folder for more details on template names or read back a few posts for my listing of common template names.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

How can I change background in Shopping Cart? I want to put there my own image but it isn't working. The part of image is still covered.

Create an Infobox template for the shopping cart and add the CSS Style for the background image to the template.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

I have still been trying to do this and have made no progress at all.

Im going to try to further explain a little bit just in case I said something wrong.

All of the product pages on my site are located outside of the catalog file folder of oscommerce.

the only way I link the product pages to oscommerce is through a buy now button which contains the link information to add a product to a cart. once clicked this brings you to the shopping cart which is working fine with STS templates.

What I can't seem to figure out is how to use the STS codes in my product page outside of the catalog folder. I thought that using php include on the product page of file called reviews.php.html which I made and put into the STS template folder would do the trick. This however only displays the code in text on my products page. In other words STS is not recognizing it as a page to interpret.

I included the:

<html $htmlparams>

in the correct fashion Yet still can't figure out how to get this to work.

The main goal of this is to show the reviews of a given product from oscommerce reviews on my product page.

Any further help is massively appreciated.

OK. What you are doing is outside of a "normal" flow of functionality for osCommerce. With that said, do you have product reviews enabled in the admin? Also, you may need to look into the contribution by Matthew available in the STS Power Pack site that allows you to template pages outside of the shop using STS. It is far away from a stock osCommerce as well as resembling anything close to a stock STS. I think this is over-kill for what you want to do though.

Your previous example of the reviewsbox will not work.

Try creating a product_info.php.html PAGE template (not a content template) which will be located in your sts template folder and insert your custom code that worked for you in the past that would call up the product reviews. If you have trouble inserting the code directly into the template (this should work), create a tag for the code in includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_user_code.php file. Then, insert the new tag into the product_info.php.html page template.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi there,

Need a quick answer to my problem. As I've got STS ( Simple Template System) installed I cannot follow the guide here (http://www.oscommercehowto.com/) to add category name to page title.

Could somebody please tell me what code is needed and where I need put it?

Many Thanks!

Look in the STS User Manual. It describes in detail how to do this exact thing.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Look in the STS User Manual. It describes in detail how to do this exact thing.

The only thing it tells me is how to add the product category name to where it says... Let's see what we have here. I've already done this. Now Im talking about adding it to the browser title. As seen at www.oscommercehowto.com.

The only thing it tells me is how to add the product category name to where it says... Let's see what we have here. I've already done this. Now Im talking about adding it to the browser title. As seen at www.oscommercehowto.com.

You could still follow the same steps in that "How To" that you referred to but I strongly suggest that you install HT SEO to manage all of your meta data. I worked with Jack to make sure it worked perfectly with STSv4 and above. It is a much smarter way to go and will help you greatly in Search Engine Optimization.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

EDIT: Ok, I've installed this Header Tags SEO V 3.0. Problem.

When I do this:

Add to admin/includes/column_left.php before the closing ?>

/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/
require(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'header_tags_seo.php');
/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

I get the following error:

error.jpg

I don't understand you. I've done it in this way, but it doesn't work :(.

Ok. I think I haven't explain what I meant enaugh good.

I want to change a background in a box of the shopping card (which we can see for example on the main page in right columne) - not a background on the Shopping Card site.

Edited by argo27

I have a content template for my product_info.php page, and I am displaying the product attributes using the below code per the documentation:

<table class="options">
		<tbody>
		<tr>
			<td>$optionnames$</td>
			<td>$optionchoices$</td>
		  </tr>		
		</tbody>
	  </table>

But when the attributes are displayed on the page, they are not displayed vertically, they are displayed horizontally all next to each other. How can these be displayed vertically?

Thanks!

Ok. I think I haven't explain what I meant enaugh good.

I want to change a background in a box of the shopping card (which we can see for example on the main page in right columne) - not a background on the Shopping Card site.

Barbara, your answer is listed in detail in the STS User Manual.

Just in case you lost your manual, I will give you a heads up below:

Creative ideas for your infobox templates:

1. Use your stylesheet to set the background to transparent to better match your customized template page

2. Look for the following code in your stylesheet.css file:

/*This is the INFOBOX Background Style, one shade darker than the Infobox Header color*/ 
.infoBox { 
background: #0000FF; 
} 

/*This is the INFOBOX Contents Style, one shade lighter than the Infobox Header color*/ 
.infoBoxContents { 
background: #FFFFFF; 
font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; 
font-size: 10px; 
}

/*This is the INFOBOX Notice Style, a pale salmon color*/ 
.infoBoxNotice { 
background: #FF8E90; 
}

/*This is the INFOBOX Notice Contents Style, a very pale salmon color*/ 
.infoBoxNoticeContents { 
}

/*This is the INFOBOX Heading Style, SAME AS HEADER AND FOOTER GRAY BARS*/ 
TD.infoBoxHeading { 
font-weight: bold; 
color: #ABDA4E; 
} 
TD.infoBox, SPAN.infoBox { 
}

3. Just by changing the above, you can make the borders, backgrounds and more completely dependent upon your design. In other words, it is now a lot easier to integrate STS into a store bought HTML template. You can also take advantage of newer CSS dynamic boxes. Have fun, be creative.

4. The default tables show a gray background around each infobox. This can easily be removed by editing the table and cell within the infobox template. You may want to replace the corner images with transparent gifs. These images are located in catalog/images/infobox/.

Besides doing the above, you could aslo simply add a custom css box class to the shopping_cart.php infobox located in includes/boxes/. To do so, follow the tips listed in the knowledge base article listed here: http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/C..._Area/Boxes/248

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Barbara, your answer is listed in detail in the STS User Manual.

Besides doing the above, you could aslo simply add a custom css box class to the shopping_cart.php infobox located in includes/boxes/. To do so, follow the tips listed in the knowledge base article listed here: http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/C..._Area/Boxes/248

You're right it's in UM. TKANKS!

You're GRAET!

Edited by argo27

Before I go to sleep I want to ask about shopping cart box again.

Shopping card consists of two cells - header and content. I want to put one image to the header and another image to the content. Is it possible?

I've tried already changed it in shopping_card.php but it isn't working.

And one more stupid question. I want words "0 items" to put lower.

PS. I don't want to change headers in any other box.

Before I go to sleep I want to ask about shopping cart box again.

Shopping card consists of two cells - header and content. I want to put one image to the header and another image to the content. Is it possible?

I've tried already changed it in shopping_card.php but it isn't working.

And one more stupid question. I want words "0 items" to put lower.

PS. I don't want to change headers in any other box.

Leave the shopping_cart.php file alone. Modify the infobox_shopping_cart.php.html template.

Download my free STS template in the STS Power Pack site. This template set has infobox templates that each have their own custom header and you will see how I did it.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I have a content template for my product_info.php page, and I am displaying the product attributes using the below code per the documentation:

<table class="options">
		<tbody>
		<tr>
			<td>$optionnames$</td>
			<td>$optionchoices$</td>
		  </tr>		
		</tbody>
	  </table>

But when the attributes are displayed on the page, they are not displayed vertically, they are displayed horizontally all next to each other. How can these be displayed vertically?

Thanks!

does anyone else have this issue? Am I doing something wrong?

I have a problem I don't know how to explain enough good what I mean so I add images.

My site looks like that in 1200X800

skrinioch.jpg

w1280.png

And like that in 1024x768

skrin.jpg

w1024.png

and I want it to look like that all the time, in all resolutions. I've tried everything :/

PS. Please don't pay attention any other elements. I had printed those screens before I've broken fresh gorund.