• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] STS v4

I am setting up a new shop using STS 4.5.8 and I would like to be able to have the category box as a long menu with all the categories and sub categories listed on it, without needing to click on a category to see its subcategories. I implemented this with a contribution on another shop (without STS). You can see it here:

http://ayurvedayogashop.com

I tried to install the same contribution (Box Categories Pro), but for some reason it would break my store, so I am guessing that it is not compatible with STS, since it's a pretty simple, straightforward contribution.

Is there any way I can create this type of category box using STS?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You have a lot of options, as many as any non-STS shop. I'm not sure what you meant by the following:

I am guessing that it is not compatible with STS, since it's a pretty simple, straightforward contribution.
STS will work with any contribution as long as that contribution is coded correctly per osCommerce standards and new variables are created in STS for any new page, box or function that is not included in the stock osC. In your case, it is probably as simple as adding a new categorybox variable that points to the custom category.php page.

See the following link:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1287110

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

You have a lot of options, as many as any non-STS shop. I'm not sure what you meant by the following:

STS will work with any contribution as long as that contribution is coded correctly per osCommerce standards and new variables are created in STS for any new page, box or function that is not included in the stock osC. In your case, it is probably as simple as adding a new categorybox variable that points to the custom category.php page.

See the following link:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1287110

Thanks, I am going to try again with that contribution, I probably missed something the first 3 times! :blush:

It only changes the includes/boxes/categories.php file, but maybe the conflict was with another contribution I installed and had to remove altogether.

I forgot to ask, do you know why the banners would not show up at the bottom of the template?

Edited by jailaxmi

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

--King Crimson (“Discipline”)

Roy,

The best option for you would have been to do a "manual" installation instead of simply uploading files from STS over your existing EP modified files. The copy files method is only suggested over a stock osCommerce in which the code base has not been messed with.

At this point, the best option for you (in my opinion) would be to use a file comparison utility such as Beyond Compare or WinMerge to compare your current files with those files from EP and even STS. I can bet that EP and STS DO NOT share any of the same lines of code but DO SHARE some of the same files. This would be very easy to merge the two together and hopefully fix your issue.

Hey Bill

I did what you suggested and found that somehow, the STS.php files was corrupted. deleted it out, recopied and the Catalog/admin was now able to login.

I see that STS is installed but I get another error soon as I loge in.

On the left, right below the menu box, I recieve this error..

1146 - Table 'apluscp1_osc1.TABLE_COUNTER' doesn't exist

select startdate, counter from TABLE_COUNTER

[TEP STOP]

Everything seem to be workng though. I have not tried out STS yet as I do not want to rock the boat yet.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks buddy, you've almost got me there....Appreciate it.

Hey Bill

I did what you suggested and found that somehow, the STS.php files was corrupted. deleted it out, recopied and the Catalog/admin was now able to login.

I see that STS is installed but I get another error soon as I loge in.

On the left, right below the menu box, I recieve this error..

1146 - Table 'apluscp1_osc1.TABLE_COUNTER' doesn't exist

select startdate, counter from TABLE_COUNTER

[TEP STOP]

Everything seem to be workng though. I have not tried out STS yet as I do not want to rock the boat yet.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks buddy, you've almost got me there....Appreciate it.

Roy,

This is not an STS error but basically what it is saying is that you either are missing a define in your includes/database_tables.php file or you did not run a SQL file while installing a separate contribution.

Try uploading your includes/database_tables.php file again or your admin/includes/database_tables.php file as this error is happening in your admin.

Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Roy,

This is not an STS error but basically what it is saying is that you either are missing a define in your includes/database_tables.php file or you did not run a SQL file while installing a separate contribution.

Try uploading your includes/database_tables.php file again or your admin/includes/database_tables.php file as this error is happening in your admin.

Thanks much appreciated...Sorry to be a pain...Am new to this....

I am just getting started with Os commerce and I am desinging my site in dreamweaver. Is this a dumb idea or can I only use the templete that OS commerce provides, and if it is ok can I make Os comm look the way I want it to or am I limited.

Thanks,

Jmf1057

Hi Bill,

How do I make the category descriptions show on the template? I installed Header Tags Controller with your instructions, and the tags for the search engines show no problem, but the title and description for the categories don't, so the customers only see “Categories” and “Products in this category” (that I changed for the default ”What do we have here?“), but there is no description.

How do I get those tags to work with STS? Thanks!

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

One more thing... with STS, Ultimate SEO URLs also works fine with the products, but with the categories it adds the cPath (which I don't want and is set to false in the admin). Any advice?

Thanks!

Hi Bill,

just addedthe AJAX single page checkout module, works okay outside of an sts template, but the ajax checkout completley dissappears when using STS.

How do I configure the sts system to accept AJAX single page checkout ?

Thanks

Getting better with mods but no programmer am I.

Actually, I just realized that the products also have the cPath trail... :(

This may be as simple as a cache issue. Check the SEO URL support thread if it does not clear up on its own.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi Bill,

How do I make the category descriptions show on the template? I installed Header Tags Controller with your instructions, and the tags for the search engines show no problem, but the title and description for the categories don't, so the customers only see “Categories” and “Products in this category” (that I changed for the default ”What do we have here?“), but there is no description.

How do I get those tags to work with STS? Thanks!

See my post #2481 regarding this issue....

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1116611

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I am just getting started with Os commerce and I am desinging my site in dreamweaver. Is this a dumb idea or can I only use the templete that OS commerce provides, and if it is ok can I make Os comm look the way I want it to or am I limited.

Thanks,

Jmf1057

Well, your questions kind of blend and contradict.....

I am desinging my site in dreamweaver. Is this a dumb idea?

No, not dumb at all. STS will help you take advantage of the ease of designing using dreamweaver and the HTML templates of STS.

can I only use the templete that OS commerce provides?

OsCommerce does not provide a template, that is what STS is for. The sample templates provided in the STS download look very similar to a stock osCommerce.

can I make Os comm look the way I want it to or am I limited?

Of course you can make it look any way that you want it to. You are only limited by your skill set in web technologies such as HTML, Flash, JavaScript, CSS, etc. STS makes this a whole lot easier for you since it allows you to use ANY WEB TEMPLATE available or one from scratch, it is up to you.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi Bill,

just addedthe AJAX single page checkout module, works okay outside of an sts template, but the ajax checkout completley dissappears when using STS.

How do I configure the sts system to accept AJAX single page checkout ?

Thanks

This is most likely because the new JavaScript that is being added by that contribution is not being recognized in your STS template. You will need to either add the JavaScript in your template or link to it. Checkout the support page for that contribution to see what JavaScript is being added.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

This is most likely because the new JavaScript that is being added by that contribution is not being recognized in your STS template. You will need to either add the JavaScript in your template or link to it. Checkout the support page for that contribution to see what JavaScript is being added.

Couldnt find a support thread for that module will have another look, but there is a javascript folder files are in:- catalog/ajax/javascript

ajaxManager.js

requester.js

form_check.js.php is in the same folder

Thanks

See my post #2481 regarding this issue....

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1116611

Thanks, Bill! That did the trick.

I will clear the cache and check the support thread for Ultimate SEO URLs.

Hi Again, not sure what to do on the single page so unistalled that for now and will look at it again later.

I have installed Links Manager II, again this works on when the sts module is set not to use the templates.

When I try to use a template I get the following error:-

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_header_tag_page() (previously declared in /home/simplydr/public_html/shop2/includes/functions/header_tags.php:15) in /home/simplydr/public_html/shop2/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 50

so I am guessing have attempted to declare something twice, once in catalog/links.php and once in the include functions hedaer tags or something

Just not sure how to ressolve this issue, can you help and point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Johnny

Johnny I got the same error you did with the AJAX Checkout and AJAX Search Suggest.

With the AJAX Search Suggest I never got a answer if people have ever integrated this with STS. Anyway, the problem is to add the includes through STS.... which I tried to do unsuccessfully.

You should NEVER enable the "Use Search Engine Friendly URLS" as the code is still in development. Disable this in the admin. If you need this option, install one of the SEO URL contributions instead.

That's what did it. Thanks for the help!

As for the pages, follow my step by step for "Adding new pages using STS" that is available in the STS Add-on site named STS Power Pack (see link in my signature below).
Found that and one a bit higher up. Will try the newer one first, then see what happens. Thanks again!

Looks like someone is playing games with the title of this thread.

This is the STSv4 Support Thread.

Hi,

I have installed STS v4.5.8 over fresh installation of OSC v2.2 rc2a, and the text "This is the default template." is showing up now at the top of the main content area (which I assume is ok).

However, the footer displays the following: "Simple Template System by DiamondSea.com

STS v4.5.3 by SoundsGoodProductions.com". Why is it saying v4.5.3 I wonder?

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/style_emotico...fault/blink.gif

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have installed STS v4.5.8 over fresh installation of OSC v2.2 rc2a, and the text "This is the default template." is showing up now at the top of the main content area (which I assume is ok).

However, the footer displays the following: "Simple Template System by DiamondSea.com

STS v4.5.3 by SoundsGoodProductions.com". Why is it saying v4.5.3 I wonder?

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/style_emotico...fault/blink.gif

Thanks in advance.

The tag lines "This is the default template." are there only to demonstrate that STS is picking that template for that particular page. It is there to assist you in "learning" how STS works. You should remove that tag line if you are going to use the sample templates for your live store.

As for the bottome tag line "STS v4.5.3", don't worry about it as it never got changed with the newer STS v4.5.8 version. Again, I don't think you want that tag line in your live store anyway so simply remove it as well if you plan to use the sample templates.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

I have the latest version of STS installed but still have a small problem. I have installed the Most Viewed Infobox contrib and was wondering if there is a way to add a supported tag so that it will work within my layout.

Thanks in advance.

Most certainly. It is just a matter of creating a new infobox tag that would bring in your new infobox. The STS User Manual explains how to do this or you could follow the instructions in my post in this thread:

Post #4667

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...p;#entry1353096

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions